Don't have an account? Create one!

Abortions.

AuthorMessage
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
February 24th, 2009 at 11:24pm
regis cash club.:
Actually, according to British Law, there does have to be a "valid reason" for terminating the pregnancy, and you have to give it when you go for your examination.
When the woman has to go for her examination, there are three categories she can fall into, If the pregnancy will affect her emotionally, mentally, or physically.
You can't simply say "I don't want it"
And the doctor has the right to refuse you if he/she feels the need.
It's not dissimilar here in Australia. Who would honestly go to their GP and just say, 'I don't feel like having a baby?' There is ALWAYS a valid reason for abortion, but *your* idea of a 'valid reason' might not be the same as *my* definition of a valid reason - for instance, you might think that rape or incest is the only good reason for terminating a pregnancy (and suggest adopting the child out, which has actually been proven to be far more detrimental to a woman's mental health than a simple early-term abortion), whereas I might think that any situation in which a woman falls pregnant unexpectedly, and does not feel capable or prepared to continue with the pregnancy, is a perfectly good reason.
All you have to do is say 'it would be detrimental to me (either physically, mentally or financially) to continue with the pregnancy' and the doctor will give a referral - you may have to go into a bit more depth than that, obviously, but 'I can't afford to provide for a child' or 'I don't believe in adopting it out and I can't keep it myself' or 'The baby's father isn't around anymore and I can't handle being a single parent' is entirely acceptable.
regis cash club.:
And also, if we take the "either everyone is allowed, or nobody is" do we really think that's going to work?
I'll tell you something, it doesn't.
I'll tell you something - with that statement, I wasn't by any means suggesting that abortions should be disallowed - only saying that it is completely ridiculous to suggest that *only* rape victims, or *only* incest victims, or *only* drug addicts/alcoholics/homeless/domestic abuse victims or *only* women who are carrying disabled babies etc etc can have access to abortions, while denying everybody else the right to accessing safe, legal terminations. Of course banning abortions would be incredibly dangerous, as we all know that despite something being illegal, people will seek it out anyway, particularly if they see it as their only way out. I'd never for a moment even want to imagine what it would do to society to see abortion outlawed entirely, and my statement was only meant to enforce the fact that you can't say 'You can have one because you're a 16-year-old girl who was raped on her way home from band practice, but you standing next to her, you can't because you're over 18 and it's your own dumb fault for being so drunk you forgot to use a condom'. That would never work. It's stupid to even suggest it.
stella spotlight!
Joining The Black Parade
stella spotlight!
March 9th, 2009 at 09:34pm
I think that abortion is completely up to the mother. If having a child would worsen the quality of living for both of them, or if the mother was raped, I see it as ok. I don't know if I would get one if I had an unwanted pregnancy, but i'm 100% pro-choice.

What alot of pro-lifers I've talked to don't get is that no one is pro-abortion- no one wants to see a life end before it starts. Pro-choice is about the ability for a mother to choose weather or not she gets an abortion based on her specific conditions and morals. Making abortion illegal would deny the mother a basic right.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
March 9th, 2009 at 09:37pm
^ But the other side of that argument is making abortion legal would deny the fetus a basic right, and that the fetus's life has already begun
stella spotlight!
Joining The Black Parade
stella spotlight!
March 9th, 2009 at 09:39pm
Has it really, though? When is the fetus considered "alive"?
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
March 9th, 2009 at 09:48pm
It's alive, and a living thing; no one can deny that.
But the pro-life side (I'm not saying if either is right) is that the fetus is a separate being, with its own body, a different organism than the mother.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 9th, 2009 at 10:35pm
Questionable Content:
It's alive, and a living thing; no one can deny that.
Bacteria are "alive" too - does that mean we shouldn't continue curing diseases?
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
March 10th, 2009 at 04:36am
by law a fetus is not a child until it is 'born' in a sense, not from the moment the sperm and egg combine. If it was that, there would be millions of murderers and the morning after pill would be considered a form of abortion.
I don't think its wrong ending if you want to call it a 'life' if the overall outcome isn't good.

I refuse to have children until I am mentally, physically and financially ready, its a huge life long commitment that some people are not ready for.

It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to raise a child till they're about the age of 20. Food, shelter, means of entertainment, the majority of the people here on INO still live at home I'm sure, think about how much you ask for.

Then think about would you want to do that for something you didn't want?
Would you want to fork out hundreds a week for a being you didn't want?
neil patrick harris.
Salute You in Your Grave
neil patrick harris.
March 13th, 2009 at 08:00pm
Elfen Lied:
by law a fetus is not a child until it is 'born' in a sense, not from the moment the sperm and egg combine. If it was that, there would be millions of murderers and the morning after pill would be considered a form of abortion.
I don't think its wrong ending if you want to call it a 'life' if the overall outcome isn't good.

yeah,
also;
forcing your beliefs on others is not right,
and making abortion illegal would be doing just that.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
March 13th, 2009 at 10:22pm
^ On the other hand, making abortion legal is also forcing your beliefs on others, only instead of permitting something to go on, you're denying it.
i.e. your belief that abortion is not murder or otherwise "morally wrong"

a lot of these abortion arguments can go both ways, but I think it's the fundamental views of it (ex. when does life begin, do mother and fetus have equal rights, is it okay to have an abortion if your life does not depend on it ('it won't kill you" ), is quality of life for others a good enough reason to end the life of another etc.) that really shape what your opinion of it is.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
March 14th, 2009 at 12:38am
No, making it legal is not forcing your beliefs on others, making it legal means the people who need/want these services now have a safe way of having it performed. Its a personal decision and I don't understand all these ridiculous people fighting against someone's own personal decision to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

Making it legal is not like saying "YOU MUST HAVE AN ABORTION" it just makes it available to the people who need or want it. Why this affects other people perplexes me.

Its the mothers choice.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
March 15th, 2009 at 11:32am
Elfen Lied:
Its a personal decision and I don't understand all these ridiculous people fighting against someone's own personal decision to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

Making it legal is not like saying "YOU MUST HAVE AN ABORTION" it just makes it available to the people who need or want it. Why this affects other people perplexes me.

Its the mothers choice.

I don't think any "pro-life" people think of it that way. It's not "fighting against someone's decision" to them; it's "fighting for the rights of the unborn".
And you're right, it's not requiring anyone to have an abortion, but it affects some other people in the same way a murder would. Sure they don't know the person, but that doesn't mean that they don't think it's wrong or are personally affected.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
March 17th, 2009 at 02:06am
And why should they be affected? as you said they dont know the person at all.

Its like someone choosing to change into a woman or a man, why should anyone be affected with what they do? Its their own personal choice. Its a very personal choice that NO ONE should have a say in.

If you know you cant deal with or didn't plan that child and you don't think you could look after it or want to have children, you should be able to choose. No one should have any say because they're not gonna take the baby and raise it themselves are they?
They're not gonna look after it after its born even though the mother cant support it or doesn't want to?
Will she have to look into the face of the baby she sees the man she was raped by because some people thought it was wrong that she didn't want to see that everyday?

I see no reasoning to why they'd want to let things like that happen, just for their own selfish conscience that a "life" has ended, you step on ants, kill bugs, ending lives everyday how is that different?
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
March 17th, 2009 at 03:37pm
Just because something is personal does not mean something can go on without restriction. ex. sex itself and age of consent/rape laws. You could argue that a rapist is doing something personal (sex) but that does not mean that it should be legal.
As for crushing ants and ending lives, the difference between that and abortion is the same difference that you think there is between a fetus and a human baby.
While I know this is one of the most widely used pro-life propaganda comparisons, there is a valid point to comparing abortion to the Holocaust. Some people think of it that way; you can't just deny their opinions about the subject. Would you want that done to your own? The vast majority of people have not been personally affected by the Holocaust, but it still shakes some people to the core. Does that not matter?
And I don't think your "selfish" reasoning has much merit-- is it not selfish in the same way for a mother to have an abortion for reasons pertaining to her?
However, being selfish isn't always wrong. Selfish is thinking of yourself primarily. That is what the mother is doing when she has the abortion, or if she is thinking about the fetus, I think that shows that she does think it is a separate being, or at least will be.
But I agree, you should be able to choose. But there is a point, whether it be conception, the moment the heart beats, or when the fetus is viable, where its life is more important than the choices of the mother. There is a huge difference between a fertilized egg and a 9-month baby, and the line has to be drawn somewhere in between.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
March 19th, 2009 at 10:19am
Why does it affect us, you ask?
Think of little Caylee Anthony. Did you ever know her personally? I doubt it. It still breaks most peoples' hearts when they see the video of her reading a book, when they see pictures of her smiling. I know that many people that never personally knew the Anthonys are furious at what happened with Caylee Anthony. Abortion is the same way. It DOES affect many people personally. As Questionable Content stated, "pro-lifers" such as myself do NOT think of abortion as taking away the mother's free will, but we think about the CHILD'S rights.
As for when the fetus is considered 'alive', I wrote a paper on this-
There are two states of being; life and death. It doesn't matter what you believe about the afterlife, our BODIES themselves are either alive or dead. You can't say the fetus is dead, because it's growing and changing, and if you left it alone it would develop and be born. It's not dead, so therefore it needs to be alive. Murder is the intentional taking of a human life. LIFE. So, abortion is in fact murder.
And as for the 'what if it's rape/incest/the mother's life is in danger/the child will be disabled' argument, 0.3% of abortions are rape/incest cases, 1% are cases in which the mother's life is in danger, and 0.5 are cases of fetus abnormality. That means over 98% of abortions are NONE of these three cases. If you don't want it, you can put it up for adoption. If you want to, you can even choose the family that adopts your child. There are a lot of different alternitives to abortion, alternetives that involve the child staying alive.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
March 19th, 2009 at 02:37pm
You cant really use that little girl as an example.

A little girl and a fetus are both completly different and uncomparable in this issue

questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
March 19th, 2009 at 02:54pm
Corrupted Dreams, I think we all know that it is alive, but the issue is, should it be considered a separate being and have all the rights the mother has.

John, not completely. Her analogy was that this little girl was murdered, and it affects people that did not know her. By abortion, many fetuses are killed as well (whether that actually constitutes as murder is debatable) and many are affected even if they do not know who it is.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
March 19th, 2009 at 02:59pm
yep, but the little girl was legally alive. A fetus is not.

questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
March 19th, 2009 at 03:16pm
legally alive?
a lot of things are alive that aren't considered human, maybe legally human would be clearer?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
March 19th, 2009 at 04:11pm
Yes, thankyou for correcting me :]

I just meant that there's an obvious difference between a little girl and an unborn fetus
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
March 19th, 2009 at 04:38pm
That is true.
But there are still similarities-- that fetus would be just like that little girl in a few more years.