Don't have an account? Create one!

The Death Sentence.

AuthorMessage
bruises
Killjoy
bruises
April 24th, 2008 at 09:27am
survived abortion.:
I think if people do something SO TERRIBLY WRONG, like killed another human being, then why shouldn't they have the same pain inflicted on them? Then they would know what that person felt.

i agree
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
April 28th, 2008 at 10:09am
IveGotSharpTeeth!:
That's why I said if you know for a fact ^^

Ok...how do I say this? The worst you can do to a killer in the US other than death sentence is life sentence in prison, right? How does that bring justice? The killer gets a roof over his head, food to eat, tv to watch, a place to sleep...while they're burying the person he killed. I'm just merely talking about justice here. It's a really touchy subject that differs on every case.

right okay see a person whos been put to death is only in the situation because a judge has taken all the factors into account at teh " sentancing hearing" and has come to the decision that it would be in societies best intrest to put him to death

but what you don't realize is that a killer than is in for life is there because there were various "mitigating factors" or factors that affected the decision. that made it so the judge realized that yes his or her acts were terrible but there were various reasons to get there. and so yes the individual deserves to be punished but not in that manor . like recently there was a case where a boy murdered his uncle purposely by bashing his skull in with a frying pan. but in the boys trial it was found that the victim had being sexually assaulting him since he was a young boy subsequently the boy was given a severely lessened sentence. im not sure if he went free or just got a couple years in juvi.

i think alot of people here have this black or white idea on the matter but
never really take the time to look at the mechanics of the law.
like its not as clear cut as everyone thinks when you read the news paper and you see "murderer sent to life in jail" you think that he or she is a scumbag and deserves to rot in hell. but you never ask what in court made the judge decide not to put him to death.

Battery Acid
Salute You in Your Grave
Battery Acid
April 28th, 2008 at 01:34pm
survived abortion.:
I think if people do something SO TERRIBLY WRONG, like killed another human being, then why shouldn't they have the same pain inflicted on them? Then they would know what that person felt.

Yes, it would be wonderful if we could recreate the pain and suffering that the murderer inflicted on the victims, on the murderer.

But unfortunately, all we do is keep them in a cell for 9 - 12 years, and then we give them a sterilized shot which puts them to sleep A.K.A. lethal injection.
And get this: Before we give them the shot which will kill them, we give them an anesthetic so that they wont feel anything!!

How fucking unfair is that?!

Taxpayers pay over $50,000 a year in order to house, feed, and provide cable television for each individual on death row. That's more money than a good chunk of us make each year for ourselves and our families.

In my honest opinion, we need to stop with our endless appeal system that enlarges the chance of a brutal murderer getting off, we need to stop inexplicably housing criminals for years before we kill them, and we need to stop spending hundreds of dollars for each execution by lethal injection.
A single ten-cent bullet will do the trick just fine.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
April 28th, 2008 at 05:39pm

firstly yes it does cost 50'000 dollars to keep someone incarcerated in a jail a year. but your just putting a price on life now.

lethal injection is a humane way of dying, now you may go " well their victims weren't treated humanely" but that just goes to show that society killing them is not the same as the condemned. you talk about unfairness in them dying painlessly but if you haven't realized the law doesn't work on feeling or pain it works on fact. At the end of the day they're still human beings and they're entitled to the rights you and i have.

you talk about their living arrangements as if they're staying at a resort . people on death row live in a cramp cell with an hour of recreational activity. the fifty thousand dollars does not goo towards cable it goes to paying the guards that look after them and even so the cable is in a communal setting and im sure they don't get hbo ....
and they get fed three square meals a day. i assure you they're living the bare minimum standard of living.

and i found it rather offensive you managed to put a price on someones life with that ten cent bullet remark, doesn't that just go to show how much you yourself care about human life, murderer or not ?.

The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
April 28th, 2008 at 09:08pm
survived abortion.:

They still have rights, even if they committed a horrible crime.
Since they are being sentenced to death by the state, they have to do it in a humane way not only because of the rights entitled to the inmate but also to set an example for everyone. If they were to cut them up with a chainsaw or shoot them forty times or whatever, it would be inhumane and would basically be saying "it's okay to do these things." So they give a painless (unless the inmate happens to be in the small percentile where the paralysis drug was ineffective) death that is practically impossible for average people to commit in society.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
April 29th, 2008 at 09:28pm
Against ~ Its totally hypocritical and goes against all logic.
WAY to many people hide behind the Bible's "An eye for an eye" but so few realize that Jesus refutes this in the Sermon on the Mount; Matthew 5:38-42,
"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."
If people are gonna use religious morals to make decisions, they better know what the f*** they're talkin about. Jesus = Love not means for justifiable killing.
For anyone who does support the Death Penalty without spiritual influence I must ask "Why do we kill people who've killed people to show people that killing people is wrong?" ~ Rex
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
April 30th, 2008 at 02:07am

^^^^^^^
The Law and its mechanisms are supposed to be free from religious objection. every decision made is not based on morals but based for whats beneficial for society.
we don't execute criminals to show that its wrong we execute criminals because they have committed a crime against society that was deemed bad enough to receive that sentence. we execute them for the good of society. i think thats a concept that alot of people don't understand. that executions in modern society aren't to make an example of someone.

i think you need to take a step back and realize that the law is based on whats good for society not on what the bible tells us. considering that there are people out there who are of different faith or of no faith at all.
when it comes to the law and punishments from the law the bible and religion have no part in it.

HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 30th, 2008 at 02:55am
^ thats very true. although, most laws in government are based on those of the bible. eg. the bible tells us stealing is bad, so does the law. the bible tells us murder is bad, so does the law.
if you look at a country where islam is the main religion, most of the laws will be based from the koran. a country where it is mainly christiannity, their law will follow the bible.
i know law and religion should be seperated, and i agree with this. but thats just what seems to happen.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
April 30th, 2008 at 03:11am

now thats entirely true. but what im really trying to get at is that the decision to execute someone is completely not based on religion. like there seems to be alot of talk about how religion says that killing is wrong. but what im trying to get at is that when a judge sentances someone to death its not because hes a godless heathen that has no regard for human life. its because hes acting for society.

Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
April 30th, 2008 at 04:36pm
Migatron:
now thats entirely true. but what im really trying to get at is that the decision to execute someone is completely not based on religion. like there seems to be alot of talk about how religion says that killing is wrong. but what im trying to get at is that when a judge sentances someone to death its not because hes a godless heathen that has no regard for human life. its because hes acting for society.

Well I'm gald to see we can understand something. I have very little (if any) faith in the Bible, but I think its nessasary to understand it when living in the US. Religion is an unsermountable force that drives people in ways never thought possible. And while our fore fathers sore to separate church and state, they did so on top of a Holy Bible. I am glad to see that there is at one more who's opinoin is not clouded by such misread morals.

It is just my simple opinon that if acting for the the betterment of socitety, we should be thinking of life, and not death ~ Rex

"Murder and capital punishment are not opposites that cancel one another, but similars that breed their kind. It is the deed that teaches not the name we give it."
George Bernard Shaw

"Violence breeds violence...Pure goals can never justify impure or violent action...They say the means are after all just means. I would say means are after all everything. As the means, so the end....If we take care of the means we are bound of reach the end sooner or later."
M Ghandi
TheAlchemyIndex
Killjoy
TheAlchemyIndex
May 3rd, 2008 at 08:41pm
My faith in humanity is really slipping. Not only because of the crimes committed by criminals but by the death penalty. The procedure for animal euthanasia is actually more humane than the process used on humans. Plus, whatever happened to compassion and mercy. To quote gandhi again

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 3rd, 2008 at 08:58pm
^ You have NO idea how good it feels knowing someone else has the understanding to use such a quote...Felt like I was the only one. ~ Rex
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 4th, 2008 at 04:45am

Ghandi was talking about the need for peacefull protest and just trying to make sure that there werent any response attacks.

but the point that you have to understand and ive tried to hammer home that people dont really understand well is
Society does NOT Execute indivduals in a vengeful manner in otherwords we dont execute people just so that it evens up. we execute indivuduals to protect society !

protect society not for revenge

Get me ?

if only people saw the true functions for executions.

Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 4th, 2008 at 06:43am
^Not all countries "execute individuals to protect society", though. A nation state is able to protect it's own people without resorting to the death penalty. I live in a country that hasn't supported the death penalty for almost half a century, and there aren't murderous arseholes rampaging through our cities etc. It's not as if our murder rates are higher. If that's what you were getting at.

Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 4th, 2008 at 09:16am

im talking about western society. im not sure how it works elsewhere. and yeah i live in australia where its the same deal. but im not saying that countries that dont support the death penalty are just infested with crazed maniacs. im mearly pointing out that in the western civilisation and the western ideals of law execution is not used as a tool for revenge or punishment against an individual but for the greater good of society.

like take for instance Timothy McVeigh the Oklahoma bomber. killed 168 people by bombing a building. they executed him in the best interest for society, not to make up for all the lives he took. even if they incarcerated him how long before an admirer would take up the mantle. proof of a just execution.

i know its hard for people to put that out of their heads but if you just let go of prior thought and accept a religionless; hollywoodless way of thinking and think towards a more society orientated state of mind itl be easier to understand.

the laws an odd thing

Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
May 4th, 2008 at 05:48pm
Migatron:
Ghandi was talking about the need for peacefull protest and just trying to make sure that there werent any response attacks

True, this was his context but it doens't change the fact that Ghandi was a true pacifist and rejected all violence om principle....heres another quote like Smile

Permanent good can never be the outcome of untruth and violence.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Migatron:

Point made
Migatron:
i know its hard for people to put that out of their heads but if you just let go of prior thought and accept a religionless; hollywoodless way of thinking and think towards a more society orientated state of mind itl be easier to understand.

I disagree, I'm all for clear minds workin toward the betterment of society, but I believe what your talking about is inhibiting the progress of humanity. At some point in time we need to rise above violence. It is simple human nature to think that violence solves problems, this is our natural instinct, but soon we must realize how obsolete this philosophy is and transcend violence as a species. As in the words of Albert Einstein,
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." ~ Rex
sweet dreams.
Salute You in Your Grave
sweet dreams.
May 5th, 2008 at 12:08am
I am definitely against it. If someone is locked away in prison and can't do the world any more harm, then I don't see what the problem is. There is no need to actually kill someone because of the crime they've committed. The only reason I can think of would be because prisons are too jammed to keep everyone in them. But that's a really lame excuse for giving someone the death sentence.

Also, as vale said, the person should have their whole lives to think about what they did. Some people say that they would want the person to die as a sort of payback. However, dying is less painful for them than living their whole life in prison. They are killed humanely, not tortured. It doesn't prove much of a point.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 5th, 2008 at 01:06am
KingRex:

I disagree, I'm all for clear minds workin toward the betterment of society, but I believe what your talking about is inhibiting the progress of humanity. At some point in time we need to rise above violence. It is simple human nature to think that violence solves problems, this is our natural instinct, but soon we must realize how obsolete this philosophy is and transcend violence as a species. As in the words of Albert Einstein,
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." ~ Rex

Now Neither Gandhi or Einstein has ever had to handle a legal proceeeding concerning a mass murderer or a terrorist. Your looking to far ahead to realise that the problem is now. and i suppose the philosophy you speak of is "eye for any eye" but as ive explained an infinite number of times before the law doesnt operate on that.

The law does not have a human face.
the law is just a tool for society to regulate us to keep it running well.
and execution is just a final resort.

your putting to much face on something thats cold and faceless
like the law.
it has no feeling.
thats what i was trying to put across. that the law is a feelingness mechanism that only seeks to serve society.

now remember that executions are just a final resort .
there are about a million levels on which a criminal has before hes deemed dangerous enough to be executed

and i believe Einstein was talking about warfare more specifically the use of the atom bomb. you really should try to put your own imput in rather than taking qoutes and using them out of context.

Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 5th, 2008 at 01:12am
Neptune.:
I am definitely against it. If someone is locked away in prison and can't do the world any more harm, then I don't see what the problem is. There is no need to actually kill someone because of the crime they've committed. The only reason I can think of would be because prisons are too jammed to keep everyone in them. But that's a really lame excuse for giving someone the death sentence.

Also, as vale said, the person should have their whole lives to think about what they did. Some people say that they would want the person to die as a sort of payback. However, dying is less painful for them than living their whole life in prison. They are killed humanely, not tortured. It doesn't prove much of a point.

The law doesn't execute people just cos of overcrowded jailing.
theres only a specific amount of crimes that would warrant an execution and usually thats because the crimes commited are usually damaging to the fabric of society and has made a judge think " this individual is not fit to be in society since he is of grave danger"

also put it this way
convicted murderer in jail for life ? dont you think that he would just give up on behaving and just go on a rampage if your in jail for that long you just start to loose all regard for human life since you dont have one and you might just start committing more crimes.

and btw executions have to be humane. criminals are not animals they are human beings even though they are being sentenced to death they're not being executed to suffer. they;re going to death because they're a danger to society. remember that .

drowning..in..misery
Killjoy
drowning..in..misery
May 5th, 2008 at 01:22am
I don't want to sound like a bad person, but I believe that the only for society to work these days is too create fear. People can get away with so much, and they know they can. By bringing back the death penalty, it will create fear and therefore prevent people committing crimes. But thats just what I believe