Don't have an account? Create one!

Smashing Pumpkins

AuthorMessage
stonedlove;;
Joining The Black Parade
stonedlove;;
October 19th, 2006 at 09:42pm
I think I'd have to say Try, Try, Try is my favorite video. It's terribly sad but yet that couple seems to still have love it the worst situation. It's kind of a sad yet happy ending though and extremely R rated. Those guys really seem to make awesome concept albums.
Jack White
Awake and Unafraid
Jack White
October 20th, 2006 at 04:17pm
"Disarm" is one of my favorite songs, ever.
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 3rd, 2007 at 05:01pm
I love the Pumpkins...love them...love them...love them!!! In Love okay, I guess you got it know Smiley Wink

They've been my favourite band since I'm 16 years old...gosh how time flies *sigh*
A classmate gave me some of their records saying that I would probably like them. The girl had never talked to me very much, so I was pretty suspicious (and left the record lying on my desk for about a week! wtf) and had no clue how she got the idea Shocked strange but she's been sooooooo right....... Walkman

I was at one of their very last concerts in Sept 2000 Sad But the breaking up was finally understandable for me, because I got the impression that there was something left...the energy or chemistry of the band…I can't say exactly...and although I do respect Melissa Auf der Maur as a bass player (she might probably be a better one than D'Arcy), I missed D'Arcy a lot. Whereas Billy has always been a musical idol, she has been my role model as I was younger (I've found her so cool in her quiet ironical way and loved her style).
But I also highly doubt that she will come back after all that has been said.
I'm not really sure what to expect of their reunion...but anyway they will always be the band that has in a kind of way saved my life as a 16/17/18/19-year-old because I could so much connect to their songs (and sometimes still do) like a lot of people on this board saying MCR mean so much for their lives.
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 4th, 2007 at 01:19am
silverrain:
I love the Pumpkins...love them...love them...love them!!! In Love okay, I guess you got it know Smiley Wink

They've been my favourite band since I'm 16 years old...gosh how time flies *sigh*
A classmate gave me some of their records saying that I would probably like them. The girl had never talked to me very much, so I was pretty suspicious (and left the record lying on my desk for about a week! wtf) and had no clue how she got the idea Shocked strange but she's been sooooooo right....... Walkman I

Well, it is always nice to see someone who has had a love of the pumpkins almost as long as me. Been my fav band since I was 13 years old. Gosh, over half my life . . . wow. I swear Simease Dream is embedded on my soul. You were so lucky to attend one of the final concerts. I just listened the next to last concert while it was being broadcast online. Good . . . memories. I miss the o-board for the pumpkins.

Hmmm . . . as much as i love the pumpkins I am so iffy about this new album . . . i mean the deets are so small and i just hope billy does the name smashing pumpkins justice. i know technically he is the pumpkins but still i have to say my faith is a little low (don't hate on me). I mean I am excited to see what the new album will contain but i just hope i am not disappointed. Anybody esle feel this way? I highly doubt James are D'arcy are apart of it. From what it looks like, it's just Billy and Jimmy making the album and then once they go on tour they will recruit people to play with them.

I have to say my fav songs are Mayonaise, Starla, Through the Eyes of Ruby, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans . . . well let's just say it is a long list.
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 4th, 2007 at 06:26am
^^
I love Siamese Dream too (Mayonaise, Disarm, Today, Cherub Rock, Soma, Spaceboy...I could still die for these songs) It's my favourite album of all time (but Mellon Collie is right behind). They even played Cherub Rock on the Sept 2000 concert In Love But I really wished I'd been to a concert during the Siamese Dream tour (as I've seen them on Viewphoria). They energy and density they spread is just amazing to see.
But I understand what you say about your expectations of the new album. It was like with Billy’s new band Zwan. What he did was putting some of the most talented musicians together, but it didn’t work in the end. It just didn’t spark off.
I felt the same about the Pumpkins during the Machina-era. Still an album a lot of bands would kill for, but I got the feeling the spark has also got lost somewhere on the road. I mean, like you said, technically Billy is the Pumpkins (he has always been the head and the sole song writer - apart from a very few exceptions), but until now he’s been with his solo stuff not a quarter as good as with his old band. Despite all the tensions there must have been a special connection or understanding for each other they’ve shared. I’m quite sure Billy also said about his fellow Pumpkins that he didn’t have to explain his ideas to them because they’d simply understood. Moreover, I guess he’s not an easy character to cope with.
I also agree with you that it’ll probably be only Billy and Jimmy who recruit some others. I think, after the split, Billy and James were communicating with each other only through their lawyers (so I’m not sure if their relationship is repairable)…and D’Arcy seemed to have been really unstable for a while. I’ve read somewhere that she had now a horse ranch and a souvenir shop, so maybe she’s settled down.
So my expectations are not too high, and I hope the same as you that whatever there planning they do their old band justice….
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 4th, 2007 at 06:26am
Maybe some of you are interested in this (it's from Smashing Pumpkins' MySpace):

Dear Beautiful Souls,

Happy New Year to you! May 2007 prove to be a blessed year in every respect and every way...I send you every ounce of love I have in my heart...May the grace of Mother be with you...This year for us will see a new album of songs and a world tour of tears, and we truly look forward to playing again for fans young, old, and missed...So yes, tunes are being dusted off, while others are being asked to kindly submit to an upstart millennia and all it's asking...In our daily prayers, we send out the signal that all who should hear us come forward and be seen, and by extension, heard...when we opened the lid on this music box, we were pleasantly suprised at the music that played: familiar yet unknown, welcoming but not sentimental...and that is all we can ask...God has absolutely blessed us in every respect...for many years there were private laments about opportunities missed and hearts so broken, but no more...we have turned the page and moved on, from places and faces, names and games...this age calls for resolve and certitude, and the fire within to burn ever bright...if that fire should be connected to absolutely deafening guitars, thundering drums, and the melodies of snakes, then so be it! We love you! If you are meant to be with us, find us!! We have need, and our arms are ever-open...although I can say definitively we don't need jugglers...but we do need ???? (what?) what do we need!
With a smile and a wink,
billy corgan

..."dear beautiful souls"...it's great to be called like that...love it how Billy can always get so lofty but also so enthusiastic about his projects
Mr. Green
nina;
Awake and Unafraid
nina;
January 4th, 2007 at 03:23pm
Mellon Collie a& The Infinite Sadness is one of my all time favorite albums.

I'm looking forward to hearing the new album <3
stonedlove;;
Joining The Black Parade
stonedlove;;
January 4th, 2007 at 03:25pm
It's about time they're album came out =D

It won't be the same without D'Arcy or James, but who knows, maybe their absence will what makes this album different. I just wonder who the bass and other guitar player will be. I'm just waiting for that album release date! Very Happy
stonedlove;;
Joining The Black Parade
stonedlove;;
January 4th, 2007 at 03:25pm
It's about time they're album came out =D

It won't be the same without D'Arcy or James, but who knows, maybe their absence will what makes this album different. I just wonder who the bass and other guitar player will be. I'm just waiting for that album release date! Very Happy
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 4th, 2007 at 11:44pm
yeah, i saw billy's post. well atleast they are always interesting (can't really think of the right word here). did you read the post he was doing right before the future embrace came out. the ones about his childhood, the forming of the pumpkins, etc. . . i never knew what to make of those because they were so personal. I was a little shocked he would post some of the things he did. i was disappointed they stopped they day the future embrace came out. kind made me wonder if it was all a ploy to hype the album. i enjoyed the post nonetheless . . . always interesting to get inside the mind of musical genius (and possible madman? lol)

anyways, some people are taking this a sign the album is coming in may of 2007 (due to the first line or so of the post)???
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 4th, 2007 at 11:52pm
silverrain:
^^
IBut I understand what you say about your expectations of the new album. It was like with Billy’s new band Zwan. What he did was putting some of the most talented musicians together, but it didn’t work in the end. It just didn’t spark off.
I felt the same about the Pumpkins during the Machina-era. Still an album a lot of bands would kill for, but I got the feeling the spark has also got lost somewhere on the road. I mean, like you said, technically Billy is the Pumpkins (he has always been the head and the sole song writer - apart from a very few exceptions), but until now he’s been with his solo stuff not a quarter as good as with his old band. Despite all the tensions there must have been a special connection or understanding for each other they’ve shared. I’m quite sure Billy also said about his fellow Pumpkins that he didn’t have to explain his ideas to them because they’d simply understood. Moreover, I guess he’s not an easy character to cope with.

Yeah, i think there were way too many personal and personality issues for zwan to work . i don't dislike the zwan album it just wasn't my cup of tea . . . it just didn't touch me (even if it was album about spirituality).

I also remember the comment where billy said he said they all just simply understood and it all melted together. (i think it is in one of those personal post he did i mentioned above). I really think people /fans can tell when that happens . . . when a band has an unspoken understanding . . . it just shines in the music and i think that is what speaks to people and makes them feel it in their soul. kind of like the collective unconcious . . .does this make any sense or am i just being cheesy?
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 5th, 2007 at 07:16am
porcelinajune:

Yeah, i think there were way too many personal and personality issues for zwan to work . i don't dislike the zwan album it just wasn't my cup of tea . . . it just didn't touch me (even if it was album about spirituality).

I also remember the comment where billy said he said they all just simply understood and it all melted together. (i think it is in one of those personal post he did i mentioned above). I really think people /fans can tell when that happens . . . when a band has an unspoken understanding . . . it just shines in the music and i think that is what speaks to people and makes them feel it in their soul. kind of like the collective unconcious . . .does this make any sense or am i just being cheesy?

No you’re not toooo cheesy Wink It's exactly what I wanted to say. It's not about bringing the best musicians together but the right people.

Zwan sounded like a good idea at first, but then it was a little bit disappointing. There was still a typical Pumpkinssound underneath (like you said Billy = Pumpkins), but it didn’t come out quite right.

porcelinajune:
yeah, i saw billy's post. well atleast they are always interesting (can't really think of the right word here). did you read the post he was doing right before the future embrace came out. the ones about his childhood, the forming of the pumpkins, etc. . . i never knew what to make of those because they were so personal. I was a little shocked he would post some of the things he did. i was disappointed they stopped they day the future embrace came out. kind made me wonder if it was all a ploy to hype the album. i enjoyed the post nonetheless . . . always interesting to get inside the mind of musical genius (and possible madman? lol)

anyways, some people are taking this a sign the album is coming in may of 2007 (due to the first line or so of the post)???

…wow I haven’t thought about the first line being a secret hint…interesting…could be possible and I think Billy enjoys dropping hints Smile

Yes, I read those posts. I’ve been thinking that he perhaps wanted to write an autobiography …there is definitely enough to tell…
I especially liked the way he wasn’t using a chronological order for the chapters but switching between the years and his adult life and childhood.
I mean, it’s been obvious from his lyrics that he’s been through some major hard times and that the relationship with his family, especially with his Dad, was very difficult, but it was still shocking to read sometimes. Did he not say that he probably wanted never to have kids out of fear he could fail like his own dad as a parent?…can’t remember exactly. But it explains some of the difficulties of his character. It’s actually a major achievement that he made it so far, must have been due to his headstrong will. And yeah I’ve been recently wondering where his posts are gone or if I missed the ending. I’d really like to read more about how his band worked and got a long with each other.

On the other side, would you like to share such personal things and emotions just to hype an album? But you could be right as well …I’m also never quite sure when Billy is doing things for publicity and when he’s serious about it. Or maybe he thought that he’d exposed his feelings through his lyrics anyway and that everyone knows about it and he wanted to give an explanation…although he could also be a little attention whore. Weight Lift
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 6th, 2007 at 01:54am
I think I also remember Billy saying he would never have kids because being afraid of being a repeat bad parent. However, I think if ya recongize this then you can have control over actions but then again like me he might realize he is too selfish to have kids. okay off of that tangent.

silverrain:
[On the other side, would you like to share such personal things and emotions just to hype an album? But you could be right as well …I’m also never quite sure when Billy is doing things for publicity and when he’s serious about it. Or maybe he thought that he’d exposed his feelings through his lyrics anyway and that everyone knows about it and he wanted to give an explanation…although he could also be a little attention whore. Weight Lift

I like your explanation for why he posted what he did. I wished he had finished though cause there is so much left to be said . . .i bet it would be f**cking great book if he ever did write one. I never pick up the poetry book he did cause i not really into poetry (bad fan, i i know). I am gonna see if I can dig up all those old post cause I sure what like to read them.

Actually, there is a lot of stuff I need to dig up. Did you ever read any of the story of Glass/concept behind machine? I never fully understood the entire concept. I don't think it was ever completly ever finished or explained. As much as people rip on Machina (I know you said you like Machina Smile ), I love that album a lot but on a different level than the previous albums. It is my uplifting album. It makes my heart happy as oppose to the other albums (minus adore which I do like adore it's my least fav) making my soul happy. I liked the idea of Glass saving the world through is music (hmmm . . . wow it just occured to me how Gerard is almost Glass incarnate! must go ponder this now . . . wow)

you are right thow it is hard to tell when he is doing stuff to be sincere or for publicity and I think this is why he gets a lot of flack from hardcore fans of the pumpkins. it reminds me of something i saw today which i will do in another post.

well, okay I will stop here. fore warning, i have a tendency to be long winded when i wriite. still blown away about thinking about gerard being Glass (maybe it's the vodka cranberry i've had talking lol)
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 6th, 2007 at 02:03am
I read this today and it is so wrong on so many levels but I couldn't resist sharing. It kind of goes along with what we were saying about Billy doing things attention as opposed to be sincere.

"gotta say ... I don't know that I'm really feeling this new movie ... from what I've seen it looks a lot like Stand and Deliver meets Dangerous Minds which takes place on a Mario music video set. Hilary Swank really knows how to ratchet up the drama and turn performances into Oscars but I'm not sure this one is quite up to the task. It's interesting that Billy Corgan, frontman of Smashing Pumpkins who just happen to have a new album on the way, decided to show up on the arm of Courtney Love. I mean ... seriously? "-TR3NT

this was taken from www.pinkisthenewblog.com. Yes, I read this lol It is a guilty pleasure so all can go ahead and tease/flame if they wish. I don't care lol.

It is quite harsh and makes me upset because I honestly don't think this was a publicity stunt at all. I think he was just going to hang out w/ his friend Courtney. I always forget how long those two have been friends.
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 6th, 2007 at 02:12am
Okay last thing in this thread tonight. I hope this isn't considered spamming (still a little unclear on that).

When Billy writes his posts, it seems as if the meaning doesn't translate well. His writing style is confusing and it doesn't makes him seem sincere or lucid for that matter like I've said before. However, I found this video and he is basically reitterating what he has said in posts about having faith in him and how much he loves us. Hearing him speaks those words make them powerful, sincere, and moving. Restores my faith in him that's for sure even if this is almost 2 years old. You have to skip to about half why through the vid to get to the speech. The quality isn't all that great but the message is. Sigh...this is the Billy I know and love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlvZU-gG8aA
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 6th, 2007 at 08:33am
Gosh, you’ve really written a lot (but I know that, I also find it often hard to come to an end if start writing about something that I'm interetstd in…)
Okay I’m not quoting anymore, I’m just going on....

Do you know if Billy has ever said why he had not finished his postings?….I also thought that perhaps he wanted to close a chapter of his life with those revelations by casting off his demons in order to move on into the future (this would make sense considering the title of the following album).

I have his poetry book (“blinking with fists”, I think I should read it again some time), but like you I’m actually not really a poetry reader (I guess I’m more into prose), so I prefer his song lyrics. Those are actually true poems with the music reinforcing the meaning and emotions and vice versa…I consider him a genius songwriter…it’s just amazing how he seems to produce hundreds of beautiful songs off the cuff Smartass (I’m not really sure if he’s ever written a bad one).

Yes I do like Machina, but not as much as the other albums. It’s still a decent record, as I said, and I like it how Billy was always producing concepts for his albums. But I really love Adore; it’s such a gloomy masterpiece…just like an endless dark and stormy autumn day. I think my preference order goes like this: SD, Mellon Collie, Adore, Pisces Iscariot, Gish, The Aeroplane flies high,, Machina I+II.
But yeah I agree Machina is probably their happiest album (although Siamese Dream has some happy moments too, but I love the opposites between dark and light it has). I like your idea of the concept of Glass and his music being the saviour of the world and comparing it to the role Gerard has created for himself (especially with the new album). But you’re right I also didn’t get the whole concept. Maybe it was buried under all the tensions and the breaking up going on. Was this not the same time that Billy was predicting that rock-and-roll was dead?

Umm, I haven’t heard much about this new movie so far. But I really enjoy reading and watching that cheesy stuff as well…about who is with whom (I probably should get a life of my own…)
Billy & Courtney used to be dating each other, as far as I know. A stormy relationship I suppose Wink He was also the driving force behind the Hole album Celebrity Skin, and you can definitely hear it. I guess this was also during the time when she was recovering a bit. Was Billy not the one introducing Melissa Auf der Maur to Courtney? But, yeah, I didn’t know that they were still friends? This is really touching I think. Though Courtney does not look very well in that picture...

And thank you ever so much for the link. He’s such a darling, isn’t he? In Love “You have to invest into the future. You have to try new things.” That's the point! Billy and the music business…I suppose this has always been a love-hate relationship. But what I find amazing, that after all these years (and music journalist often enough neglecting the band), the Pumpkins have still such a strong fan base, don’t you think?

Maybe he shouldn't have been that harsh with his bandamtes (I mean D'Arcy and James). It seemd to be like he wanted to make a definite end to the band, e.g. as he was saying that the Pumpkins were all part of the past now and he wanted to move on. Though he seemed to feel really hurt and it could just have been self-protection. What do you think has caused the breakin up in the end?

Wow…it’s fun to talk about the band with someone so detailed! Mr. Green
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
January 6th, 2007 at 12:22pm
OmG!! i love smashing pumkins thank god someone made this thread. i have all there albums. except one. Cool they are one my favorite bands.
mccrack.
Salute You in Your Grave
mccrack.
January 6th, 2007 at 12:31pm
Can I just say, reading through this thread, it really shows the intelligence of the average Pumpkins fan. It's fantastic they don't attract the typical teenie fanbase of many rock acts, being the ultra-alternative and innovative band that they are Very Happy

Anyway, I came in here to say I just got Ava Adore. My SP collection is one step closer to being complete ^_^
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
January 6th, 2007 at 12:36pm
Lik Loathing.:
Can I just say, reading through this thread, it really shows the intelligence of the average Pumpkins fan. It's fantastic they don't attract the typical teenie fanbase of many rock acts, being the ultra-alternative and innovative band that they are Very Happy

Anyway, I came in here to say I just got Ava Adore. My SP collection is one step closer to being complete ^_^

Seriously wow my collection isnt complete yet!!!!!! so im trying hard to complete it .YOU ARE LUCKY!!!!
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 6th, 2007 at 01:24pm
Lik Loathing.:
Can I just say, reading through this thread, it really shows the intelligence of the average Pumpkins fan.

OMG ...That's made my day! Embarassed Cool Mr. Green