Bullet With Butterfly Wings is one of the first rock songs I remember hearing

I always thought it was called, Rat in a Cage
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 7th, 2007 at 05:34am
silverrain:
Lik Loathing.:
Can I just say, reading through this thread, it really shows the intelligence of the average Pumpkins fan.

OMG ...That's made my day! Embarassed Cool Mr. Green

I know me too. LOL i guess i have so much to say because I have been a pumpkin fan for 14 years so i've had a lot of time to sit and contemplate this stuff. and plus, i know people that like the pumpkins but don't LOVE the pumpkins so i never really get to discuss this stuff with other people. Clap
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 7th, 2007 at 05:49am
at last the real reason the pumpkins broke up (this is my attempt at a joke okay lol a bad one though it may be)

Billy couldn't take anymore of James' increasingly bad hair

Or maybe he was jealous he couldn't grow bad hair of his own!

LOL sorry I couldn't resist. i have an unhealthy obsession with bad or weird hair.

I too agree it is a ton of fun to talk about the band in detail with someone else who has much love for the pumpkins and who also has a lot to say.

have so much I want to say in response to all the above posts but it is almost 6:00am (sleep calls) Esp. the comment about the contrast of light and dark on Simease Dream. see there is something timeless about the SD because after 14 years someone says something that makes you go back and examine it all over again. I always knew there was that duality there but it is interesting to go back listen for certain things esp. after billy's post. To be continued . . .

Congrats to all those completing their pumpkins collection. They will be your best friends forever lol. Also, does anyone know if the airplane flies high is still available for purchase? I have a copy but just wondering if it is out of print. I guess i should probably just do some searching myself.
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 7th, 2007 at 08:24am
*eek*
Ha Ha I've first thought he's already become grey! Someone should go and stop his hair dresser committing any more crimes..
umm.. I guess Billy can't seriously join any bad hair-days discussions. He's free of those. Definitely jealousy...sometimes reasons are just too obvious Mr. Green

porcelinajune:
Congrats to all those completing their pumpkins collection. They will be your best friends forever lol. Also, does anyone know if the airplane flies high is still available for purchase? I have a copy but just wondering if it is out of print. I guess i should probably just do some searching myself.

I agree Yes
And yes the very stylish Cool aeroplane flies high-box is still available at amazon

Most of my friends are not so crazy about music as I am Sad Except for one, but the Pumpkins (and I think with MCR it'll be the same) are not her cup of tea...she finds them to dark and depressing....odd...because for me it's just the opposite.

Lik Loathing.:
Anyway, I came in here to say I just got Ava Adore. My SP collection is one step closer to being complete ^_^

I wonder what you'll think of the album...
DeadlyPoisoned
Bleeding on the Floor
DeadlyPoisoned
January 7th, 2007 at 01:32pm
Their Awesome....Its kinda creepy he looks like Gerard wow...Its awesome though.They look a like it is freaky haha...no wonder he was mistaken for billie corgan...Im in love with their song ZERO..

And Disarm..

Zero is my most obsessed song.
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 8th, 2007 at 07:14am
^^
Yes, they’re true classics Yes

…the very first times I was listening to Disarm…tears came to my eyes every time. Though I’m not a child of divorced parents, I could so much relate to it, the feelings of being emotionally neglected and left alone with your anxieties are so authentic to me.
DeadlyPoisoned
Bleeding on the Floor
DeadlyPoisoned
January 8th, 2007 at 03:45pm
I like the violins in the song its sooo purty I need to get me a smashing pumpkins cd but Everytime I see one their so expensive..I got my friend one for Christmas.I might buy one from Best Buy.
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 9th, 2007 at 01:31am
(I am so pissed I had this whole post typed up and then my computer shutoff accidently . . . oh well here it goes again)

I had so badly wanted to post this last night cause there have been some tiny amounts of new info concerning the upcomng new pumpkins album. However, being the new obssessed MCR fan that I am, I ran to my local borders and picked up Life on the Murder Scene (got a great deal too, go me and my borders reward card) and was consumed with that last night. Anways, let me get back on topic.

Yesterday, there was a sp fan meet-up in L.A. that was orchestrated by the pumpkin queen (TPQ) who has been running the pumpkin's myspace and been doing a bit of pr for them. Here is the info I have gathered from reading stuff by people who attended (so this is second hand info but i am sure it is pretty close to the truth of what happened/was said):

Unfortunately, people were not allowed to ask who was in the band. I have to agree with others that i think that is a bit annoying. I don't understand all the secrecy. Apparently though, there was an interview somewhere w/ one of the producers on the album and he let it slip that it was only billy and jimmy working on the album.

1. the album is almost done, possibly april release???

2. they have a title for the album picked out and possibly will be some sort of polictical statement (but not overly poltical like green day's american idiot, honestly, i seriously think if the pumpkins ever made a political statement in their music it would be very subtle. i think billy is more interested in making statements about the music industry)

3. staduim size tour

4. the new sp website will officially launch soon and it is going to be a big deal, waiting on the album art to be done before they update the site

5. working on some sort of pumpkin's tv

6. this album is NOT a continuation of machina or any of the concept stuff

7. this flag is of some sort of signicance esp. the 13 stars and stripes

(i am honestly lost on this one. i think it could be poltical or it could be refering to something pumpkins related that i am totally missing but i know for some reason 13 has some meaning in the pumpkins world. anybody got any ideas?)

8. there will be more than one new pumpkins album and they plan on being around for awhile

9. according to TPQ, that nature of the album is close to that of Simease and Melon Collie (my heart does a little pitter patter)

10. this is a direct quote from someone "She talked about how when Billy was working TFE and going through all of that he was just learning to enjoy writing/making music again which i sort of knew but at the same time hearing that made my heart a little heavy. like he was lost, through zwan, through his solo material (at least that's my impression).. and going through TFE was a way of finding his way back to where he belonged. that regardless of what happened, he wanted to be okay with going back to what he once did"

11. chicago will be the centeral headquarters for the pumpkins even though they have been living in l.a. for long while now working the album and stuff

12. There was mention of d'arcy but i was a little confused about what people where writing about

i think that covers the basic of what people where writing about. hmmm....still not sure what i think of it all. not really too much new information. but enough to keep things interesting!!!

Here is the link to where I got all my info:
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=132830&page=3

There is a lot of good stuff there but as ususal with netphoria you have to sift through the bs/toxicity. it is a great place for information but a treacherous place to post but sometimes good for a laugh. it's not called hatephoria for nothing lol. Rolling Eyes
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 9th, 2007 at 02:26am
[quote="silverrain"]
Do you know if Billy has ever said why he had not finished his postings?….I also thought that perhaps he wanted to close a chapter of his life with those revelations by casting off his demons in order to move on into the future (this would make sense considering the title of the following album).[quote=silverrain"]

I don't think he ever said why he stopped. i just know the day TFE came out the posts ended. but maybe you were right he did it up to a point when the album came out because he was trying to let go of past hurts/regrets/dreams and from the day the album came out he wanted to look towards the future but then i don't know cause the same day the album came out is when he took out a full page spread in the chicago trib saying he wanted the pumpkins back. hmmm . . . i am lost. may be he got tired of people bitching about his posts (like I have said before i personally loved reading them)

[quote="silverrain"]it’s just amazing how he seems to produce hundreds of beautiful songs off the cuff Smartass (I’m not really sure if he’s ever written a bad one).[quote="silverrain"]

agreed. ya know . . . there are songs that aren't my cup of tea by him/the pumpkins but not once have i ever said it was bad. at least you are always in for and adventure (i feel the same about mcr).

[quote="silverrain"] But I really love Adore; it’s such a gloomy masterpiece…just like an endless dark and stormy autumn day. [quote="silverrain"]

wow . . . i think that is the most accurate description of adore i have heard. there is so much heartache in it but it is beautiful heartache.

"(although Siamese Dream has some happy moments too, but I love the opposites between dark and light it has)."

i think that is what makes Siamese so timeless ya know. i know i read where billy said while making this album is when he decided to live instead of die. i feel you can even tell the turning point in the album when he decides this. i don't think most people realize that today is about wanting to commit suicide (sorry if have said that already, i don't remember) but then right after that comes hummer and rocket that are so full of life and wanting to live.

Yeah, machina did come out right around the time billy said rock was dead . . . think that is what a lot of machina was about. I am still pondering this whole Gerard as Glass thing . . .one day i will have the time to sit down and find all the info on the machina concept and glass and the machines of god and see how much fits. Do you think MCR is the kind of savior in music billy was hoping for?

"But what I find amazing, that after all these years (and music journalist often enough neglecting the band), the Pumpkins have still such a strong fan base, don’t you think?"

it's true they so do. there are still so many die hard fans even if they do bitch and moan a lot. at the meet up thing i wrote about earlier, TPQ stated that she felt the pumpkins/billy openly communicate with their fans more than most bands do. i tend to say i agree . . . we may not always get straight answers but billy is always trying to send some direct message out to his fans. i mean just look at the vid i posted . . . obviously, billy was trying to have a serious talk with people. also, machna II was released with out the consent of the record company and it all came out of billy's pocket and he basically gave it away free to the fans. i also think the strong fan base can be attributed to how powerful the music is and it reaches right down to the core of you.

"What do you think has caused the breakin up in the end?"

wow . . . i just don't think the magic was between all of them anymore (but the again i listen to the next to last concert and hear/feel the same powerfulness that was always there.) may be what billy said about his bandmates was true but i hope not. i think everyone just needed time to explore what else was out there for them. hmmm. . . the best way i can describe it is to relate it to my own life. i absoultely love the city/area where i grew up. it will always be a huge part of my heart/soul but there came i time when i knew the city was done for me and i needed to go off and see what else was out there for me. everytime i go back i have this great nostagia/love for it but i know i wouldn't be happy there. it is sad cause all my family/friends are there and i miss them but it's not who i am anymore. one day in the long future i think i will move back but not till i live life. i think it was probably very much the same for everyone in the band. the pumpkins were a huge love of their life but it just didn't feel right anymore and they all needed to go off and evaluate themselves and experience other options. does that make sense?

okay one last thing i forgot to mention about the l.a. meet up thing. a big part of it was the TPQ asking how the band should reach out to fans and promote themselves? I really don't know at the moment what the answer is to that one. part of me thinks they really don't have to do any promoting . . . it's like billy said before those that get it will and those that don't then . . .

okay. i think i am done with my lastest novel for now. lol i really should get a life j/k. i love discussing music with people from all over the place.
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 9th, 2007 at 02:28am
GothFairyGodess:
Their Awesome....Its kinda creepy he looks like Gerard wow...Its awesome though.They look a like it is freaky.

i know!! i never realized it until i was looking at some old pics of gerard and i literally peed myself at how much he looks like gish era billy. lol i know people have even takin' to calling gerard billy jr.
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 9th, 2007 at 09:56am
Oh porcelinajune, it’s amazing how much you’ve written again and thanks very much for all the infos! Wow That’s awesome. Smile

I think it was on their MySpace that I’ve heard of the planned meeting. So the pumpkin queen is the one running the site, you say? I was wondering who she is and how she got the job.

Okay here are my two cents to some of the new info:

I’m wondering about the political statement too, because I agree with you, they’ve never been a political band; it has always been all about personal and interpersonal issues. But you could be right with Billy having an interest in a fist fight with the music industry. Though I think a subtle statement about the political situation of the U.S. wouldn’t do any harm. See, I live in Europe and there are a lot of anti-American sentiments going on at the moment. I use to say that it’s ridiculous to lump all Americans together as being ignorant, because as in every country there are also millions who have a mind of their own and have e.g. voted against the one-sided policy of the Bush government. But you don’t hear much of these critical voices through the media right now, which gives the impression as if there’s a big silence. I think, especially artists have the possibilities to raise their voices, because for a huge number of their audience their opinion matters and people will be listening to what they have to say. Billy, e.g., would have the intelligence and capacity to do that, I suppose. On the other side, I also think if there is no real interest and knowledge in political matters, and instead of making only shallow comments, artists should decide for their own and feel free to stay away from politics.

About the secrecy that’s going on with the constitution of the band: This is it what has made me being sure that D’arcy and James will probably not join the band anymore. If the would, you would have probably heard of it by now, wouldn't you? Do you remember what they’ve actually said about D’arcy (or perhaps about James too?) Did they provide any hints who else will be in the band? I guess I shouldn’t be that lazy and go to the link you’ve posted. But it always takes so much time to find all this stuff. So thanks again for sharing…

About Pumpkin’s T.V.: What the hell will this be?! Billy reading the news and Jimmy doing the weather forecast?! Mr. Green I’m definitely looking forward to this…

I didn’t know that people were thinking the new album would be a continuation of the Machina concept. But is there any info saying if there'll be a concept as well? Though, I think, in a kind of way all Pumpkins’ albums had their concepts…like with every album there has always been a different style. This may sound strange but I can relate every record with a different colour…

To the 13 stars and stripes: I would also be interested in any ideas…I was just thinking of the verylast track of Adore, but then realizing that it’s actually titled “17”…

I’m so looking forward to the album…April is not long away…yeah…and I’m so excited that they will tie on to SD and Mellon Collie (omg…omg)…I could really understand why they made a cut after the huge Mellon Collie-record, which has been just larger than life, and it’s overwhelming success, and changed. It would just have been impossible to top that….but after all this time it seems to be fine to go back to the roots.
And I had the same impression as you…with Billy being lost during his Zwan- and solo project.

About the occasional toxicity on Pumpkins-boards, I remember writing on the old o-board saying that I’m not so sure about Billy’s hatred towards his old band (that he was showing off at the time after the break up), and that it may be just disappointment and anger and that he’ll probably regret it at some point in the future, but people were just negative and saying that the Pumpkins will have disappeared forever and calling D’arcy a hopeless cocaine wreck and everything..

But how did people actually respond to his “confessions”…because I missed those reactions. Why all the criticism (do they think he was selling out his soul or what else?

Great that you like my description of the Adore-feeling and thanks for the words! Sometimes I enjoy it to be lofty… Wink and this record means so much to me. I was just going through a personally really hard time as a 17 year old when the record came out. I was so full of anxieties, insecurities and even slight suicidal thoughts (there was no obvious external reason for all this, it just came from inside and I had no one to tell to or who would understand), but I found so much comfort in the music and lyrics of this album…and I still do. I don't know...but it were the Pumpkins who made me realize that I'm not alone on the world with my emotions and that it's alright to feel pissed off for a while and to eventually get over it...like with the bright and dark sides...you won't only find them on SD but on all their albums (even in one and the same song)...like their songs will never leave you consumed with misery, but always show an exit into light...if this makes sense to you.

…but wow…what you’ve said about Siamese Dream has really given me something to think about. I mean…”Today’s the greatest daaaayyyy”... I have alwaystaken it as a highly ironical statement, but I didn’t know that the song is about wanting to commit suicide; however, it makes so much sense….like the happiest songs can be the saddest…
On the album, I find “Mayonaise” (you would probably never conclude this from the title) is one of the strongest statements of saying fuck you to your demons and to all those who’re pulling you down and holding you back from being yourself , and finally saying yes to yourself and life (at least I’ve found so much strength in it).

…umm about My Chemical Romance being the kind of saviour in music billy was hoping for…I would like to hear a comment from him. I don’t know if you’ve read this interview with Gerard in which he talks about having met Billy (I wonder if he was thinking..."okay, so this is how I will look like in 10 years Wow" Mr. Green . I’ve already said it a little bit further down in that thread that Billy must actually be proud that he has been such an inspiration for a younger band (I mean he surely had idols too that he had been imitating in a kind of way). So the existence of MCR is clearly a counter-argument against his being so negative that the Pumpkins wouldn’t have mattered at all as well as against the Britney-take over.
Though personally, I’ve realized the relation of My Chemical Romance and the Pumpkins only just with the release of TPB; there are some tunes on the record that are evident, I think (also that it has a clear concept and that the saviour-theme sounds familiar) And I've found the style of the WTTBP-video obvious. But what do you think?

And yes, what you’ve said about their reasons for breaking up makes absolutely sense. I can really relate to what you’ve described about yourself. I’ve realized something similar, that every time in my life I’ve spent some years at a certain place, I’ve become restless and felt the urge to move on and experience something new. It’s like you get stuck in a deadly routine…

And about any publicity measures: I’ve got the same impression that the whole thing is rather self-promoting.
…and yep I also agree that Billy’s messages and his holding contact with the fans through the internet (I guess the Pumpkins and their whole fan community were one of the first making intensive use of the internet) contribute to keep it interesting.
I wonder if MCR have ever done or planning to do something similar…but it seems that they want to keep away from interacting with their fans on the internet (like Gerard sad he preferred staying in a bubble in order to keep his feet on the ground, which is understandable).

Okay, hope I’ve not forgotten something.

I swear...now, I immediately go and get a life Wink

Cheers from Stef Bye
burn the lion.
Salute You in Your Grave
burn the lion.
January 10th, 2007 at 12:03am
Smashing Pumpkins remind me of when I was younger.
Siamese Dream, and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 10th, 2007 at 01:10am
Very Happy You are very welcome! I love being able to spread the pumpkin love/news even if it i get it all secondhand. LOL In fact, I don't mind being the official "Netphoria translator". As for writing so much, all I have to say is that is what 4 years of college and 2 years of graduate school will do to you Neutral

No, there were no hints at all as to who is in the band. Here is what was said about D'arcy though I am not quite sure I understand it:

"She also brought up D'arcy. After talking about some of her experiences as a music journalist (she talked about herself at least as much about the Pumpkins) she got into this bit about how replaceable band members are, specifically the lead singer. She said D'arcy was highly influential to her, and spoke very highly of D'acry and that she was a very important part of the band. Then she said that when it came down to it, when she thinks of the Pumpkins, she thinks of the voice"

apparently, the pumpkin queen was a music journalist and she met billy about year or so ago when she did an interview with him and they hit it off.

I guess basically what we have said earlier . . .billy=the pumpkins. However, I don't know. I really think a band is the sum of it's parts and not just one person. However, they did carry on w/ Melissa and I thought Melissa did a great job of stepping up to the plate. But in my heart the Pumpkins are the original members. I mean Gerard is easily the most recognizable member of MCR but can you really imagine the band w/out one of the other 4 guys standing next to him. However, I think MCR has a completely different internal dynamic than the Pumpkins did and Billy clearly was the one in complete control of everything or at least the one that worked the hardest (that was the impression I got from his confessions).

Ya know I guess some people had a negative reaction to his confessions because they did think he was selling out or selling out his family and his band mates. I don't know and some people thought it was to promote himself. I am not really sure what the big deal was . . . .all I knew is I loved getting insight to this musical genius' head and also and inside look at what it was like to be at the heart of the great musical time that was '93 -'97.

LOL at the comment about pumpkins tv . . . I could see jimmy using his drunkstick to point to an area on the weather map. there really didn't seem to be any explanation of what it was just had to do with the upcoming website. maybe billy will start doing his confessions via video!!!! how awesome would that be. "And now for on the couch with Billy . . . ." (Wait, now that i think about it they did something like that as a skit in Vieuphoria where they were in a psychs office.) I seriously doubt it though.

Oh man, I have lots more to add (esp. about the political stuff said cause I completely agree but I am not sure if this is the forum to do it) but I have to go to bed. Being old having having to get up early for work sucks (okay i know now for sure that is spam . . . sorry).

One question to throw out there though? What do you (or anyone for that matter) think by at the end of Pisces whe he said "thanks to everyone for their continued support and a fuck you to those who will never understand love, peace, empathy, desire, mischief, and gladness 2007 "? I have been dying to know for years what that 2007 meant, if it meant anything at all. now, it's 2007 do you think we will find out. God, I can't believe it is 2007 . . . that freaks me out a little esp. since it was 1994 when that came out. Wow.
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 10th, 2007 at 01:13am
One last thing . . . I came across this article that I had never seen before. I thought it was pretty cool/funny. Apparently, this is an interview TPQ did with Melissa:

As we shift gears and begin to talk about her new album, I mention I interviewed her former bandmate Billy Corgan and that he had kind things to say about her. Without missing a beat, she traces her relationship with Billy back to Montreal,

“I met him right here when I was 19. I met him at Montreal’s version of CBGB, which is the Foufounes Electrique. The translation is the Electric Asshole. That’s an important part of Montreal. You know the way the punk rock scene in New York is embodied in CBGB? Well, the punk scene in Montreal is embodied in this club. That’s where I saw Nirvana right before “Nevermind” exploded. “

“There are still complete punk rockers, you know, homeless punk rock teenagers, basically sleeping in the hallways of the place. It’s incredible. It’s one of the most colorful, exciting places here.

“Anyway, when Smashing Pumpkins played their first show ever in Montreal for $1 in front of twenty people, I was one of the $1 payers to see this new band who had a 12” on SubPop. And the reason why Billy and I met was...there were twenty people in the audience, half of whom were blown away by this band who were basically playing to an arena but in a tiny punk rock club.”

The other half, one can assume, were not. Among them, her roommate, “Bruce, my roommate at the time, who was one of the drummers in God Speed You Black Emperor was offended by Billy’s arrogance and threw a beer bottle at him and said, ‘Drop the fucking attitude man!’ And they got in a fistfight! At the end of the night, I went and apologized on behalf of Montreal, Canada to Billy Corgan!” As she states this she kind of chuckles at the hilarity of the scene and adds, “We were pen pals ever since and I ended up joining his band ten years later. How creepy!”
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 10th, 2007 at 12:08pm
Yeah, it’s really so much fun talking about the band Smile I have to learn for my exams at the moment and I’m spending too much time on my desk, so writing on this board is a nice change…

Years ago I had a boyfriend (no he was not a really a serious one, let’s call it an affair) who was very keen on music and a Pumpkins fan like me…but most people I know right now are interested in other things (as sports or even worse in nothing…). On the other side, it’s clear that when you get older, your job or your relationship or your daily affairs are taking up all of your time.

Okay, I also stop rambling on now…though I don’t care much about spamming, to be honest (I hope the mods don’t take it that serious…Wink ). But we’re not too bad, are we?
The political issue…I only brought it up because I find it an interesting topic to think about the relation of art and politics…

Umm… to the opinion of TPQ (I don’t know what’s going with a lot of journalists that they tend to put themselves in the centre of their work…I know some people who will become journalists, and they often leave me shaking my head, but anyway) on the role of band members: I think I have a different opinion than her but agree more with what you’ve said.
Billy’s voice is alright, but it’s not like that he could compete with Freddie Mercury (I’m not quite sure our good old Billy would ever have made it through the first round of American idol), and he has even said himself that he’s not the greatest singer. I mean his voice is unique and definitely a trade mark, but if I think of why I find the Pumpkins are great, I think of the guitars, the melodies, the lyrics, the surprising shifts of the song structures (I’m not a musician myself – can only play the piano a bit and xylophone in kindergarten Wink – so this may sound amateurishly, but you probably know what I’m trying to say).
And I think this was very clever of you to observe that MCR has a different internal dynamic. I agree that a band is the sum of its parts (and MCR are the best example), but if Billy had an outstanding role in the band this was due to his being the creative head as well as the company’s boss (if you know what I mean). I’m sure to a great extent he had the visions and made also the decisions. Their has always been this rumour that he played all the instruments on Siamese Dream himself (because of the band having been on the verge of breaking apart and his band mates having been involved in personal affairs). Do you know something about this? Even if it was just an exaggeration, Billy would have been capable of it, I guess. With Gerard it’s a different thing; he was not a very good guitar player he said, so he relies on the others…as everyone in the band relies on the other, which makes the group much stronger I think.
With D’arcy I’ve a feeling that her role may have been more that of an emotional basis of the band (as a bass player and background singer she was easily replaceable by Melissa, who’s even been so qualified that she’s been able to release her own solo album)…as the band didn’t break apart during the time Jimmy had to leave, but only after D’arcy quit and even though Jimmy was back again….I may be wrong though…

Oh good old Vieuphoria: what a great life-vid...but I’ve watched it so many times that my tape has begun to lose its quality. But about the scene of the band at the psychs office…as English is not my first language and I had to learn it at school, I remember making such an effort to understand what they were saying. This makes me think that there’s no better way of making teenagers interested in learning for a subject than to give them a reason… In Love Mr. Green

Thanks for the Melissa-interview. Now I remember the story again. What a lucky girl is this?
Although, after the band had broken up, I read an interview with her that throws a rather unfavourable light on Billy as a band leader. She’s always seemed to me like an honest person who’s kept feet on the ground, so she might have been told the truth. She said that Billy was welcoming her by telling her that her role in the band would be to shut up and look pretty. Shocked I mean honestly wtf!…I would probably have said…are you kidding me?!...but Melissa said that she had been willing to compromise in order not to miss such a chance to play with such a talented band…

porcelinajune:
One question to throw out there though? What do you (or anyone for that matter) think by at the end of Pisces whe he said "thanks to everyone for their continued support and a fuck you to those who will never understand love, peace, empathy, desire, mischief, and gladness 2007 "? I have been dying to know for years what that 2007 meant, if it meant anything at all. now, it's 2007 do you think we will find out. God, I can't believe it is 2007 . . . that freaks me out a little esp. since it was 1994 when that came out. Wow.

Wow, I’m not sure I’ve ever recognized this number, although I’ve read those lines several times. I have no idea…but actually look at this funny coincidence: 1994 + 13 = 2007, isn’t it?
Okay…I guess, this is enough and a clear sign that I need some fresh air… Bangin

But, porcelinajune, please keep on writing as long passages as you like…I really do enjoy reading them Bye
mccrack.
Salute You in Your Grave
mccrack.
January 10th, 2007 at 01:20pm
I know this is late but, porcelinajune, all your info on the new Pumpkins stuff made me so excited! Thank you so much for posting all that.

silverrain:
Okay, I also stop rambling on now…though I don’t care much about spamming, to be honest (I hope the mods don’t take it that serious…Wink ). But we’re not too bad, are we?

Not too bad at all ;D

-goes back to lurking this thread's posts-
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 11th, 2007 at 12:14am
Lik Loathing.:
I know this is late but, porcelinajune, all your info on the new Pumpkins stuff made me so excited! Thank you so much for posting all that.

-goes back to lurking this thread's posts-

You are very welcome!!! Just trying trying to spread the pumpkin love like I said before. Please feel free to add any comments/thoughts that you may have. I may write a lot but I am no Pumpkins expert. Laughing
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 11th, 2007 at 12:53am
Clap

silverrain:

Wow, I’m not sure I’ve ever recognized this number, although I’ve read those lines several times. I have no idea…but actually look at this funny coincidence: 1994 + 13 = 2007, isn’t it?

Whoa . . . good eye silverrain! Hmm. . . . could I be over analyzing all this or could that factor into the 13 stripes and stars? I was thinking that maybe the flag w/ the 13 stars and stripes meant that america has gone so far from it's original principles and that like the band is trying to get back to it's core essence that america should too but I could be reading way too much into it. but they did say it had some political connotations.

silvirrain you have said so many awesome things that i can't wait to respond to but alas i promised myself i would get more than 5 hours of sleep tonight so it will have to wait till tomorrow night.

as for vieuphoria, if i had a dvd burner i would burn you a copy of mine but i don't have a dvd burner Cry hmmmm . . . maybe my friend would let me borrow hers.

Do you think we will ever get the metro dvd? I keep holding out hope. I know there are different arguements as to why it hasn't been released yet.

I was going to say i am pretty sure you right that billy played most of the instruments on simease dream. I am almost positive it was in one of the confessions he did . . . i am going to do a full on search tomorrow to find those confessions. i know they are out there on this wonderful world wide web somewhere. I thought i had saved them all but i guess not. but wow it blows my mind to think of one man creating such a masterpiece.

oh well, since i don't have much time to say right now. I thought another funny pic was in order. I do believe this is my favorite billy pic lol. and to think this is the man we all look up to:

silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 11th, 2007 at 04:25pm
Lik Loathing.:
Not too bad at all ;D

Oh, fine Mr. Green
...and hello Smile to a further pumpkinhead! porcelinajune's info is really spreading the pumpkin love Yes Thumb up

porcelinajune:
Hmm. . . . could I be over analyzing all this or could that factor into the 13 stripes and stars? I was thinking that maybe the flag w/ the 13 stars and stripes meant that america has gone so far from it's original principles and that like the band is trying to get back to it's core essence that america should too but I could be reading way too much into it. but they did say it had some political connotations.

Well, this is makes sense...that the number 13 stands for the original principles and roots...It's not too far-fetched, I think. Good idea, indeed.

*LOL* at the Billy-pic: look at all those kittens crawling across him. Now, this is our rockstar hero Ha Ha after work Tehe ....looks cozy though
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 12th, 2007 at 03:12am
Kicking Found them . . . Billy's confessions. . . . well all his posts really. They were a lot easier to find than I thought they would be since they have vanished from anything official doing with the pumpkins or billy. Here is the link:

http://billycorgan.livejournal.com/

I just read the one where he talks about the day Kurt Cobain died and it just broke my heart reading it. I will never forget that day as long as I live . . . .too said to dwell on . . .

I'd forgotten how detailed they were.

Ya know what's interesting to read about these is he goes into detail about how it was mainly him and jimmy and the producer Butch Vig who poured themselves into Simease Dream. If this is true, then maybe this new album will be along the lines of older pumpkins. But like you, silverrain, I could have sworn it was billy who played most of the insturments on the album . . . do you think it could have been melon collie??? Hmmm . . . I will have to do further reading of the confessions to see if it is there. However, I am purist in some aspects and not sure if a band can still call themselves the same band with only half of the original members. At one point do you become a cover band of yourself?

I don't know . . .But then again most of these songs are billy's so maybe i am just looking at this all wrong. But no, it wasn't called Billy Corgan and the Smashing Pumpkins. . . .it was the pumpkins as a group. (LOL sorry i am kind of talking to myself here trying to work it all out.) Anyway, here is an interesting excert from the confessions kind of talks about what I am saying:

"The pecking order on influence to the songs usually falls in this order: Billy, Jimmy, James, D’arcy…although D’arcy contributes very little in the arranging department, she is the person I watch most while we work, because like a child, she is incapable of hiding or masking any displeasure, and it shows readily on her face…James general interest is directly proportionate to whether or not a song is “his”, and following that, whether or not he personally likes a particular tune…he is fully capable of offering a brilliant suggestion at any given moment, and then turning right around and looking completely bored as if there were a million places he would rather be than here…Jimmy stands as the auteur of our power, so great is his unconscious understanding of how to lift the songs to the highest heights…his suggestions tend to be more emotional as opposed to musical…he readily reads my mind, and I read his, and much of our work is eye to eye, soul to soul, and goes on mostly unseen by the other two…my role is one of floor leader and cheerleader, as most of the songs are mine…we have a general rule, which is: ‘your song, your call’…this means that whomever is the writer on a particular song has final call on any decision, including a veto on what other members might play part wise…if a song is a co-write, then both people share this vote/veto…songs like “soma” and “mayonnaise” are true musical collaborations, as I sort thru the issues, making sure the other writer (in this case James) is in full agreement on all aspects of the song, and it’s execution…"

silverrain:
Though, I think, in a kind of way all Pumpkins’ albums had their concepts…like with every album there has always been a different style. This may sound strange but I can relate every record with a different colour…

I completey agree with you here. I don't think they were concept albums in that they tell a story, with the exception of Machina (lol but as to what that story really was I am not even sure if Billy even knows), but they were emotional concept (landscapes is probably a better term) albums. Simease Dream was about (and you have already covered this) this since of going from rock bottom/giving up on life to as you put it "saying fuck you to your demons and to all those who’re pulling you down and holding you back from being yourself , and finally saying yes to yourself and life". Mayonaise is and will always be my favorite song of all time. I honestly think I love that song more than life itself lol. I can't even put into words what that song makes me feel in my heart and in this deep part of me (lol I sould like a crazy person) Parts of it are always changing to fit into where I am at in my life but the core of the song says it's okay to be me no matter and nothing will ever without my permission will change the essense of me.

Mellon Collie was, well, the emotional concept of Mellon Collie to me seems to cover the experiences/emotions a person encounters of their lifetime, hence, "from dusk to dawn" and "twilight to starlight".

Adore was a concept of anger, love, loss, and acceptance of that loss. However, I think your description of that album is better than mine. I can see how this album helped you at a rough time in your life.

Machina I and II, I think these albums were more focused on spirituality, destiny, and unconditional love. It contains one of my favorite lines of all time "If you want love you must be love But if you bleed love you will die loved" This album certainly has helped soothe some unbearable heartbreak. (Last year, April to be exact, my boyfriend and I of five years split up and it kind of drug out. Which I was okay with cause I always thought we would still be best friends but unfortanately as the end of the year we don't speak anymore and probably never will. Boy, did I play the fuck out of Machina (that and Angels and Airwaves) during the first part of the break up. It made me hopeful. However, I have My chem esp. seeing them live to thank for bringing me and my heart back to life and that I will be forever grateful.)

Btw . . . I am curious what colors you associate with each album?

silverrain:
but if I think of why I find the Pumpkins are great, I think of the guitars, the melodies, the lyrics, the surprising shifts of the song structures

ILOL I know exactly what you mean. I am not good with musical terminology either. I think that also goes along with what you were saying about about the light and dark within each song. It is the sound the defines the pumpkins. Just like no two songs are alike on a pumpkins album . . . you will find that change up with a song as well and the surprises is what i love. it keeps me interested.

Again, I have to agree that the pumpkins influence on MCR really comes across on TBP. I would have never really guessed with the earlier stuff. I mean I didn't like MCR at all for the longest time but then I started hearing a buzz that they were flag waving pumpkins fans and had to take a second glance (only when I saw them live did I become, well, obssessed I guess the best way to put it lol). I read an article . . . I think it was rolling stone . . . where Gerard talks about how Melon Collie was a huge inspiration for TBP esp. Thru the Eyes of Ruby and such. Lots of pumpkins fans (like you said) have noticed that the vid for Welcome of the Black Parade is clearly influenced by pumpkins vids esp. Tonight, Tonight.

silverrain:
…umm about My Chemical Romance being the kind of saviour in music billy was hoping for…I would like to hear a comment from him. I don’t know if you’ve read this interview with Gerard in which he talks about having met Billy (I wonder if he was thinking..."okay, so this is how I will look like in 10 years Wow" Mr. Green . I’ve already said it a little bit further down in that thread that Billy must actually be proud that he has been such an inspiration for a younger band (I mean he surely had idols too that he had been imitating in a kind of way).

LOL loved the comment about Gerard thinking this is what I will look like in 10 years. But I hope not cause it would be such a great waste of good hair for Gerard to go bald. I don't care how dirty his hair is . . .it's always gorgeous. *Swoons* Okay the girly moment has passed.

I hope too that Billy said more than just Thank you to Gerard. That would be highly unprofessional and arrogant of him if he didn't, in my opinion anyway. Plus, I don't care how big of a star Gerard is . . . I could see him being totally crushed if one him and Mickey's biggest heros blew him off.

Okay....I am going to start another post cause this getting too long and I don't if it will let me use any more quotes....