Don't have an account? Create one!

Smashing Pumpkins

AuthorMessage
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 26th, 2007 at 05:27pm
I completely agree it's hard to be patient . . .i just don't get why they line-up hasn't been announced but i know i have said that before and just repeating myself. Atleast we do have some news though and know that things are moving along in some shape, way, or fashion.

Have a great pumpkin wish filled night silverrain and all the other pumpkinheads!
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 29th, 2007 at 01:43am
Anybody else noticed that MCR have suddenly appeared as one of the Smashing Pumpkins top friends on myspace? This just happened like a day or two ago. Do you think it means anything?

I don't know . . .may be they just felt like giving MCR a shout out cause MCR always talks about the pumpkins? Or maybe it is because they will be playing the same festival? Or I could just be over analyzing things!
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 29th, 2007 at 11:17am
^^
Clap Hey awesome! I've just seen it...Yep maybe you’re right and it’s a reference! I’m glad they did that. MCR so much deserve it to be recognized!

OMG I've just had a massive teeniemoment *wohoo* while watching German TRL. This VJ was making people curious during the whole show that he’d had major big news considering Rock am Ring. Then before place 3 he was talking about the reunion of this certain band everyone who’d had just a little taste in music would be waiting for… and for sure it was the Pumpkins and the announcement that they’re heading the festival (that is sponsored by mtv), and he also mentioned Melissa as a likely option for the bass. And after that they played FLW! Dance
(After the vid the VJ thought he had had bright moment by asking if anybody would have noticed the strange similarity between the “MCR-singer” and Billy Corgan…..No, really?!? Rolling Eyes )

But hell, I’m dying if I can't make it to the show! Cry Cry
it's all happening
Salute You in Your Grave
it's all happening
January 29th, 2007 at 10:18pm
i love the smashing pumpkins.
-see siggy-
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 30th, 2007 at 02:04am
silverrain:
^^
Clap Hey awesome! I've just seen it...Yep maybe you’re right and it’s a reference! I’m glad they did that. MCR so much deserve it to be recognized!

OMG I've just had a massive teeniemoment *wohoo* while watching German TRL. This VJ was making people curious during the whole show that he’d had major big news considering Rock am Ring. Then before place 3 he was talking about the reunion of this certain band everyone who’d had just a little taste in music would be waiting for… and for sure it was the Pumpkins and the announcement that they’re heading the festival (that is sponsored by mtv), and he also mentioned Melissa as a likely option for the bass. And after that they played FLW! Dance
(After the vid the VJ thought he had had bright moment by asking if anybody would have noticed the strange similarity between the “MCR-singer” and Billy Corgan…..No, really?!? Rolling Eyes )

But hell, I’m dying if I can't make it to the show! Cry Cry

Doesn't get any better than Pumpkins/MCR mixed together!!!! LOL yeah, it is kind of old news that Gerard and Billy sort of look alike but not really anymore. All this supsense is killing me . . .june seems so far off . . .hopefully we get a glimpse of some new music before then. it is just so wiered . . .i know before the zwan record came out and before billy's solo album we had atleast heard some new material.

i was looking at how much plane tickets would be to fly to Germany for that weekend. Shocked silverrain, i think i will die if one of us doesn't make it to the show. it just wouldn't be fair. No

can you believe it has been 11 years since melon collie came out? Wow . . .it just seems so timeless that when you listen to it that it could have came out yesterday.

much love to all my fellow pumpkinheads
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 30th, 2007 at 11:13am
porcelinajune:
i was looking at how much plane tickets would be to fly to Germany for that weekend.

They don't offer cheap flights between the U.S. and Europe, do they? I mean, I've got a 2 cents flight (plus about 25 Euros taxes) to London and a 25 Euro flight (plus taxes) to Dublin before Smile

porcelinajune:
Shocked silverrain, i think i will die if one of us doesn't make it to the show. it just wouldn't be fair. No

yep...*sniffs* Cry

porcelinajune:
can you believe it has been 11 years since melon collie came out? Wow . . .it just seems so timeless that when you listen to it that it could have came out yesterday.

*counts the years back*...Holy shit...11!

Wish you all a chemistry filled pumpkinesque eve Bye
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
February 2nd, 2007 at 01:08am
silverrain:
[
They don't offer cheap flights between the U.S. and Europe, do they? I mean, I've got a 2 cents flight (plus about 25 Euros taxes) to London and a 25 Euro flight (plus taxes) to Dublin before Smile

Sigh . . .cheapest I have found is $1000 or about 768 euros Crying or Very sad Sigh . . .maybe some money will fall from the sky.

I don't think I can handle all this . . .in one summer . . .Pumpkins/MCR at the same show . . .Pumpkins touring again. . . the end of Harry Potter . .. sensory overload LOL

I found this article that talks a bit about the pumpkins reunion and gives us some newish info.

Summer Reunion Tours

Much pumpkin goodness to all the pumpkinheads out there Bye
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
February 2nd, 2007 at 06:28am
Gosh Shocked these flight prizes are not really cheap...but okay it's from one half of the world to the other...I booked my flights with an Irish company offering cheap flights between all the major cities in Europe.

"Pumpkins 2.0" LOL but I guess this hits the point...it can't be the original band...but a different version.

But...Pumpkins fans not willing to pay Genesis ticket prizes?? umm...don't think so...

Have a pumpkintastic (if I may use your brilliant word creation, Mandy ::smile) day my beautiful MCR-loving pumpkin friends!
sass attack.
Demolition Lover
sass attack.
February 2nd, 2007 at 12:02pm
SAVED!:
i love the smashing pumpkins.
-see siggy-

your sig kicks ass Cool

i love The Smashing Pumpkins; hehe duhh
i grew up listening to them
Billy Corgan's lyric writing is genius.
bound and gagged
Bulletproof Heart
bound and gagged
February 2nd, 2007 at 05:46pm
Didn't Billy Corgan have some side project?

Zwan, I think it was called
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
February 2nd, 2007 at 05:56pm
^^^
yep exactly. They've released one album "Mary Star of the Sea" and then split after some differences among the band members (if I do remember correctly it was also the bassist who left first).

Band Members (this is from wiki):
Billy Corgan (lead vocals, guitar), of The Smashing Pumpkins.
Matt Sweeney (guitar, vocals), formerly of the bands Chavez and Skunk.
David Pajo (guitar, initially bass), formerly of Slint, also the driving force behind Papa M.
Paz Lenchantin (bass, vocals), also of A Perfect Circle. She has also played with Papa M and The Silver Jews.
Jimmy Chamberlin (drums), of The Smashing Pumpkins.
the_Saminator
Thinking Happy Thoughts
the_Saminator
February 4th, 2007 at 09:09pm
*sighs* Smashng Pumpkins *sighs*
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
February 4th, 2007 at 09:10pm
xX_Asleep_Or_DeadXx:
*sighs* Smashng Pumpkins *sighs*

i have nothing else to say but the fact that they are the best
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
February 5th, 2007 at 12:34am
^^^^^^^
Couldn't agree with you more.

starla.org has a back catalog of old interviews and I came across this interview with Billy right around the time Simease Dream came out. Silverrain, you were totally right about Billy recording Simease Dream on his own. This interview is kind of crazy. It' s so wierd to hear someone speak of their other band members in this way. I could never imagine Gerard talking like this. It's a good article though and definately gives some insight into what SD is about.

Billy Speaks About SD
mirarle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mirarle
February 5th, 2007 at 01:43am
Wow. That’s all I can say to this thread: Wow. Recently, I’ve soured to music discussion ever since a friend and I got into a whole punk vs. metal debate, but, this discussion is pretty awesome! I love the friendly, intelligent and candid talk about the Pumpkins. I’ll sleep on a positive note tonight!

I adore SP; they make my eyes tear and incite a sort of excitement that only a few other bands instill in me. I envy you guys who were in the middle of the SP era, to actually experience the…well…experience. It’s great they’re reforming and stuff, and I’m excited about it, but it just won’t be the same thing! I should be thankful I’m in the middle of the MCR prime era. *sigh* Well, I can’t get whatever I want…right? Hopefully I can get a taste when SP release their new album…

Anyways, keep up the discussion. I love reading all this. XD
mccrack.
Salute You in Your Grave
mccrack.
February 5th, 2007 at 04:17am
porcelinajune:
Anybody else noticed that MCR have suddenly appeared as one of the Smashing Pumpkins top friends on myspace? This just happened like a day or two ago. Do you think it means anything?

I don't know . . .may be they just felt like giving MCR a shout out cause MCR always talks about the pumpkins? Or maybe it is because they will be playing the same festival? Or I could just be over analyzing things!

Sweetie, I was SO excited when I saw that, I almost flipped out.

In a recent podcast with Gee, he mentioned that Billy had said he was a fan of MCR, so it's not overly surprising. Exciting though!
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
February 5th, 2007 at 05:37am
^^^^
Wow he really has said this? I had no idea! But I’ve been dying to hear Billy making a comment about what he thinks of MCR. Do you possibly have a link to this podcast?

Hey porcelinajune Smile Thanks so much for the link to this interview. Can’t actually wait to read it…

And hello mirarle, welcome to the thread! Your post has made me really happy Smile and it would be great if you’d join us in our endless pumpkins-filled discussions.

Wish you all a pumpkinlicious (another genius porcelinajune-creation Very Happy love it) start into the week garnished with lots of chemical romance! Bye
Chemical_Romance
Salute You in Your Grave
Chemical_Romance
February 5th, 2007 at 09:53am

UK fans:
Tonight, Tonight is the backing track to an advert.
I think it was either ITV4 or More4. It came on last night.
<3

They.
Must.
Play.
Reading.
And.
Headline.
A.
UK.
Tour.
**Twitches**
Chemical_Romance
Salute You in Your Grave
Chemical_Romance
February 5th, 2007 at 09:53am

Gah.
In Love
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
February 5th, 2007 at 11:59am
^^^^
Hey cute pic!

porcelinajune:

Okay here are my thoughts to this really revealing interview:

It’s strange that Billy actually was at the same age as I am now as he did this interview. I remember always looking up to him and now the perspective has changed (at least a bit)…

I definitely don’t have such self-confidence as he is showing. But obviously together with his working drive this is a crucial aspect of his character that brought him so far. It seems as he had always to make compromises in his life at least with his musical ambitions no one should interfere. So he’s probably super-sensitive towards criticism concerning his ideas and way of working. But he seems to be aware that he is sometimes pushing his band mates too far and expecting too much sacrifice of them. On the other side, I can understand where he’s frustrations must have been coming from. I mean if I had the chance to play in such an amazing band I would be fire and flame for it (probably like Melissa except that I don’t have the talent Wink)
Possibly his original fellow pumpkins regarded it too easily as a matter of course because they had been on board from the beginning….and possibly the difficulties of Billy’s character had been too much sometimes.
After all I think his harshness and stubbornness are to a great extent self-protective. It’s like if he had to fight all the time at least his music and his open-hearted lyrics enable him to let it all out: anger, love, fear, regret….his songs cover the whole range of existential emotions.
Especially what he got from some music journalists for this was a lot of shit. Like that he would be whining all the time and pushing the melancholy theme too far, when in fact he was all honest about human struggles and failures (by describing his own). So although he knew about the love-hate polarity his band created, he made himself very vulnerable at the same time by giving so much from himself. I remember having read some articles in which it became totally clear that the author had had either a bad interview experience with Billy before or from the outset a negative attitude towards him (that I never understood because even if you hate a certain band, for reaching so many people they’ll deserve some respect and at least some objectivity.) I found it hilarious as Billy once sent to an arrogant journalist a fax with a short rhyme saying that no one should try to mess with him about his music Threat (too bad I don’t know the content anymore).

What I had no idea about was this messing up concerts on purpose-attitude….ummm I always thought that he was making that up to compensate or provide an excuse for having played a fucked-up show (I’m a bad fan I know Embarassed Wink)
And what’s also new to me is that Soma is not about his ex-wife, but about a previous ex. But it does make more sense this way if you consider that he still refers to Chris in his SD-thanking notes.
But no matter what actual content hides behind the lyrics, they’re truly universal in their approach treating human experiences not only shallow but showing the depths of them (something I can see especially in the TBP lyrics too).

Oh well, if you’re still there with me, that’s really enough from me now. Have a good day! Bye