Don't have an account? Create one!

Smashing Pumpkins

AuthorMessage
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 17th, 2007 at 11:11am
porcelinajune:
It is driving me crazy cause I can not find this interview. I have found like five other interviews where Gerard talks about the pumpkins and even one where he says Melon Collie was huge influence on TBP but nothing mentiong this song. Damn, I will find it for us lol Nyam

oh yes please Yes

porcelinajune:
Maybe if one of us ever meets them and has the ability to actually speak we could ask lol (although, I sometimes to don't want to meet people I look up to/admire/love cause I am always afraid I will be disappointed and will be ruin a good thing . . . that happened with Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day

..oh well, I'm sure I wouldbe jusz paralysed and numb...looking exactly like this: Shocked But I see what you mean about becoming disappointed... What happened as you met Billie Joe?

porcelinajune:
Hmmm. . . I think Hello Kitty Kat reminds me of Gerard because it sounds like something that would be on Bullets, there is something about Billy's voice that sounds like Gerard's, and I really think it is this line right here that makes me think of Gerard:

"i don't wanna be like the others, please" I don't know . . .maybe it's just me that thinks this lol

Yep, I thought you would mean the voice...
and this phrase belonged to those I sometimes mumbeld to myself when I was going to school in the morning (yep, I was a weird kid Neutral )

porcelinajune:
. . .cause I actually remember loving billy when he had hair.

oh...how time flies...I honestly thought I would become 23 or 25 and that's it. Not that I would die after that, it just was beyond my imagination Very Happy
I loved Billy's hair during SD...it seemed to be so soft...
theteenagebrigade
Killjoy
theteenagebrigade
January 17th, 2007 at 03:25pm
Hahaha, damn me and my Americanism, silverrain. Or something.

For the record, I had "Ava Adore" in my head all day. Which makes me think MCR should do a cover of that song. It would be interesting.

P!ATD butchered "Tonight, Tonight". It was funny... I went to a P!ATD show because Dresden Dolls were openning for them, and P! did a cover of "Tonight, Tonight". The girl standing next to me, she asked, "Is this a new P!ATD song?" I said no, it's a cover of a song by Smashing Pumpkins... And she had no clue who they were. It made me feel old. The girl was only 13 or 14, too...
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 18th, 2007 at 12:14am
Hey All my fellow Pumpkin heads. I don't have much time so I have two very teeny tiny updates . . . nothing real exciting.

I guess the first small clip of SP TV is up on their myspace page at the bottom. Basically, Jimmy is talking about getting a rehearsal space soon for the hopefully upcoming tour. It is real short.

Also, back in November I guess Billy Corgan did a small set with Pete Townshend from the Who and I guess Billy also played some new songs at this show. Nobody has any audio of the the new songs but I did manage to find a clip with about 30 secs or so of Billy singing with Pete. It amazes me how after 14 years Billy's voice and smile still make me smile lol.

Click on where it says Attic Jam Montage. Billy's performance is about 3:15 into the video.

http://www.intheattic.tv/

Hope everyone has Sweet Pumpkin and MCR filled dreams!
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 18th, 2007 at 12:42pm
Thanks! I can't say it often enough, you're a sweetheart, porcelinajune Smile

Clap at the small Billy-bit. Okay, I take back what I've said: he may not be the best singer - at least not compared to a tenor Mr. Green, but I love his voice In Love...hearing him singing makes me feel as there wouldn't have lapsed any time at all.

Can you believe that I've actually read an article in which the author described Billy's voice as cold and without any emotions!? It’s just not true at all, I think...

Great song that they were singing...

Oh, and there was Ryan Adams somewhere too in the clip...his Cold Roses-album is one of my favs...excellent medicine against lovesickness.

… after his complete breakdown, Jimmy has finally become a really stable and caring person, don’t you think?

theteenagebrigade:
Hahaha, damn me and my Americanism, silverrain. Or something.

no no it was just one of my blonde moments Mr. Green the word "alternative" is actually the same in German, we just never use the abbreviation "alt "for it, instead the term "indie" is used (although it's not exactly the same)

theteenagebrigade:
For the record, I had "Ava Adore" in my head all day. Which makes me think MCR should do a cover of that song. It would be interesting.

Yep, I agree. I don't know, but I find the whole mood on the Adore-album very Black Paradeish (as porcelinajune would say Smile)

theteenagebrigade:
The girl standing next to me, she asked, "Is this a new P!ATD song?" I said no, it's a cover of a song by Smashing Pumpkins... And she had no clue who they were. It made me feel old. The girl was only 13 or 14, too...

Ah great...now she's learnt something for her life.

Chemical pumpkin kisses to everyone Bye
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 19th, 2007 at 01:16pm
...to the aeroplane flies high-box:

Did you know that there were two pressings of it:
"1st pressing: 200,000 worldwide
2nd pressing: 250,000 worldwide"
spfc.org
But I have no idea to which pressing my copies belong.

And I just found this article I've totally missed on netphoria in which Billy speaks about the conflictive attitudes of the former band members (it's from Nov 30th 2005, so it's a little bit old):

From ultimate-guitar.com:

Billy Corgan: 'I Never Wanted To Leave The Smashing Pumpkins'

After the conclusion of The Smashing Pumpkins and the collapse of Zwan, Billy Corgan has attempted another reinvention -- as a solo artist.

The former singer of one of indie rock's most influential bands can't seem to rid himself of the Pumpkin phantom. With the release of his first solo album, TheFutureEmbrace, the singer expected to confirm himself as a bona fide solo artist. But he soon realised that self-indulgent music wasn't going to help his career. When asked in 1995 if he would ever go it alone, the lead singer replied, "I've tried and it just doesn't work without the others."

A decade later, despite doing it alone, Corgan realized it still doesn't work. "I'm sort of like a lame, single guy in a red sports car," he said of the Solo Billy, claiming that he would never reform the Smashing Pumpkins again.

Then, a few weeks later, he took out a full-page ad in a major Chicago daily, explaining his reasons as to why he had decided to reform the band. The other former band members haven't exactly confirmed that it's happening though.

"I never wanted to leave the Smashing Pumpkins. That was never the plan," he told interviewer Talia Soghomonian. So what happened? "Exactly!" he wonders himself, "We would have these sort of meetings and I would say, 'This band should be together for 25 years. There's absolutely no reason that we can't evolve.' We'd already set up that we were capable of evolving. We'd already proved that. 'Let's just become like The Who - we'd keep on evolving and changing with the times. We all have or ups and downs, but there's no reason we shouldn't be together. It's a special thing.'"

But the other members didn't feel as devoted to the band. "That level of commitment wasn't there for James and D'Arcy and Jimmy, even though he was committed to enough. So at one point, the situation became toxic. But I never wanted to leave the band. I never wanted it to end."

Maybe it's just the concept of being in a band that appeals to him. "Yeah, it's great. You make better music. I still believe that. And even if you look at solo artists who make great albums -- Iggy Pop or Bowie -- there are always these other great artists involved. Some of Bowie's greatest successes were because of lead guitarist Nick Ronson. And Mike Garson, who played piano on all that stuff with Bowie, said Ronson was way more involved in Bowie's music than anybody ever. No one knew it, because he was such a humble person. He never tried to get the spotlight. Of course, Bowie became considered the genius." Of course.

So basically, Billy Corgan wants to give credit where credit is due, except that we all seem to equate the Smashing Pumpkins with him. And he knows it. He also admits that the band lives on in his heart. "After Zwan, there was no question I was going to be a solo artist. The Pumpkins exist in my mind as a living entity that is a huge part of my life. As far as I'm concerned, the band's not broken up. The world got the body, but to me, the band lives on."

This is so different from what he said right after the split, and I find it a little bit sad to read . i conclude that he obviously felt badly hurt and his harsh words plainly showed protection and anger.
But the picture of the red sports car is very funny Very Happy

For D'arcy I think it's even more unlikely to join the band again than for James. She's even left Scratchie Records - the record label that she founded with him. Maybe she's not just interested in being part of the music biz anymore.
I've also read it on different places on the internet yet that people are sure the new pumpkins will only be Billy and Jimmy.
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 24th, 2007 at 01:28am
Thanks Silverrain for the interview! I agree it is sad to read. It sounds like someone who has just gotten divorced even though they were still in love with the other person and had hoped to work something out. Sorry I have been MIA from this thread for awhile! I agree that it is more likely James would come back that D'arcy.

Not much going on news wise. Apparently, in the latest issue of Rolling Stone there is a small blurb about the album being out in May and the band touring after but that is it. I will have to see if our copy has arrived at the library tomorrow and actually read what it says.

Also, I came across this short interview with Billy about the song Mayonaise. Since it is absolutely my favorite song in the ENTIRE history of the world, I had to post it.

Hope all my fellow pumpkinheads are doing well and loving life.
xXHalLo KiTtyXx
Killjoy
xXHalLo KiTtyXx
January 24th, 2007 at 11:20am
are smashing pumpkins gona start touring wen der new album comes out!?!?!?
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 25th, 2007 at 12:26am
^^^^^^^^

It is rumoured that they may being touring in June and that they will be hitting the summer european rock festivals but these are all just rumours. It is all complete chaos (Unsure) at this point and nobody is sure of anything except billy and jimmy had been in the recording studio. I guess we just have to have faith Smile and lots of patience lol

Sleep tight all my fellow pumpkin heads Bye
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 25th, 2007 at 01:12pm
Hey Porcelinajune, thanks for the Billy-interview Clap unfortunately I can't hear any sound...I don't know, I have to check again if there is something wrong with my sound system.

Any yep, exactly...the comparison with a divorce is really fitting!

Wow album in April/May & June...how great is this Kicking
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 26th, 2007 at 01:03pm
Okay my sweet pumpkin friends,

there are rumours that Melissa Auf Der Maur will play the bass again.The source is in German and it's not confirmed yet. It is also said that Billy and D'Arcy & James would still not talk to each other.

Let's just be patient and see Bye
bound and gagged
Bulletproof Heart
bound and gagged
January 26th, 2007 at 01:19pm
I'm doing a random project where I'm keeping track of all the Pumpkins' songs and albums

Don't ask why
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 26th, 2007 at 01:32pm
LOL Lots of news today. Thanks so much Silverrain for the update. If we can't have D'arcy, then I will be happy with Melissa.

Looks like the Pumpkins are confirmed for two summer Rock festivals (Rock Im Park and Rock am Ring) in Germany and I think MCR might be playing atleast one of those festivals too (I think I am going to melt from all the musical yumminess . . .even if I won't be able to make it)

Silverrain you so have to go and represent for all us pumpkin crazed MCR fans!!!!!! Hell, maybe I will sell everything I own and go LOL

http://www.rock-im-park.com It is german as well.
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 26th, 2007 at 01:51pm
Here is the list for Rock Am Ring:

Bereits bestätigte Bands:
Linkin Park
Smashing Pumpkins
Beatsteaks
Muse
Billy Talent
Mando Diao
Evanescence
Wir Sind Helden
Korn
Slayer
Dave Matthews Band
The Hives
Arctic Monkeys
My Chemical Romance
Kaiser Chiefs
Jan Delay & Disko No. 1
Mia.
The Kooks
Wolfmother
Stone Sour

MCR and Pumpkins playing the same event . . . I really don't think my heart can take this LOL Swoon

Cry Cry Sad I so want to go! OH Well . . . .I'll get over it.
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 26th, 2007 at 03:35pm
^^^^
OMG this is just ...unbelievable! Aww Porcelinajune, please don't cry...just sell everything and come over and we go together! Clap
But...do you know what June 2007 actually means for me: It's the month of my very final exams at uni! And I still don't have the exact dates. Perhaps I have to sit at my desk and will be crying over my books Cry Cry
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 26th, 2007 at 04:21pm
silverrain:
^^^^
OMG this is just ...unbelievable! Aww Porcelinajune, please don't cry...just sell everything and come over and we go together! Clap
But...do you know what June 2007 actually means for me: It's the month of my very final exams at uni! And I still don't have the exact dates. Perhaps I have to sit at my desk and will be crying over my books Cry Cry

LOL Girl, do not tempt me because it is seriosly crossing my mind. I did say 2007 was going to be Balls to the Wall or Nothing at All but I think it is translating into Balls to the Wall and Nothing in My Bank Account LOL Sigh, I just might have to break down and get a credit card although I swore I wouldn't do that ever again . . .but it might be wise for multiple reasons.

Oh man, that figures it would be the same month as your big exams. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will all work out. How awful would that be, 2 of the biggest chemical pumpkinhead fans not being able to make the show.
Sad

Wow . . . the Pumpkins headling again . . .I think I am still reeling. Billy I can't wait for you to blow as all away (atleast I am hoping) Bye
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 26th, 2007 at 04:33pm
Seriously, I mean it. You're very welcome Smile
And yeah please cross your fingers that I'm able to go! Oh...what an unfair world this would be...
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 26th, 2007 at 04:42pm
Thanks so much for the offer!!! Smile Ya never know . . .

Well since the concert is like the first two days in June . . .maybe you will be okay and your exams will be towards the middle. I will seriously cry for you and us both if it is at the same time. Though I do have an inspirational story to share with you through a PM about a similar instance that happened to me LOL

Crazy idea . . .what if members of MCR join the Pumpkins on stage for a song or two?!!!? May be they will actually play on one of the songs we listed previously in the post! How wierd /awesome would that be? Or the might play Zero like the Spin article said. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 26th, 2007 at 04:50pm
porcelinajune:

Crazy idea . . .what if members of MCR join the Pumpkins on stage for a song or two?!!!? May be they will actually play on one of the songs we listed previously in the post! How wierd /awesome would that be? Or the might play Zero like the Spin article said. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Oh dear, this would definitely rock! Clap Dance But you'll never know...dreams may come true In Love
porcelinajune
Bleeding on the Floor
porcelinajune
January 26th, 2007 at 05:08pm
In Love Us Girls can dream right

LOL at netphoria, instead of being excited . . .they are bitching about "all the shitty bands" the pumpkins are going to be playing with and how this is a step down for the pumpkins LOL Rolling Eyes

I am just excited that after all these years the pumpkins are given the chance to headline a huge concert and we don't even know who is in the freakin' band really!
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 26th, 2007 at 05:22pm
^^^^^
yeah it's just hard to be patient actually...I guess Billy really had in mind to reunite the old band members if it had been possible. Too bad...but Melissa is alright.

Yep, I would really like to know what's wrong with those big-headed netphoria guys No Some people will just never stop complaining...