Don't have an account? Create one!

Thank You For The Venom

AuthorMessage
cami-cupcake
Killjoy
cami-cupcake
March 26th, 2008 at 11:00pm
I always thought that this song was about a guy whose girlfriend was breaking up with him and she's trying to emotionally hurt or kill him "So give me all your poison and give me all your pills. And give me all your hopless hearts to make me ill," But the guy can't be hurt by her because he knows that he's better than that "Your running after someting that you'll never kill," He wants to let her exhaust herself by trying to hurt him, but he knows she can't "If this is what you want, then fire at will." That's what I interpreted from the song and it seems pretty right to me, but that's just my opinion.
cami-cupcake
Killjoy
cami-cupcake
March 26th, 2008 at 11:19pm
Ok, wait...Scratch my opinion, I just read some other ones and I agree with Nusquam permaneo's idea. I think it was very well thought out and it really went with all of the song, and it made since, too. I also agree with cemetaryprotestlead on how Gerard wasn't talking about the religion on what he would've done because he is a Catholic. I think he's talking about the other people who do that or whatever it said in his/her (sorry idk) comment.
Spirited Away
Joining The Black Parade
Spirited Away
March 28th, 2008 at 03:24pm
I think the song is about Gerard or someone in the band telling their sister that no matter what they tell them, they will not belive in their religion. Like he's saying, " There's no way that I'm gonna follow your religion so keep giving me drugs. Who's gonna save me? God? I have a gun to keep me safe and thats all I need."
sammy_da_lemur
Killjoy
sammy_da_lemur
April 27th, 2008 at 10:35pm
wen i first heard it and got all the lyrics i got this idea that maybe it was about the actual band cuz like wen he says "give me all your posion,give me all your pills, give me all your hopeless hearts and make me ill" is sorta like him sayin that his fans can releive all the crap their in with them and he sort of takes it away and he'll take the pain and like wen he says "you'll never make me leave i wear this on my sleeve" sounds like tht mcr armband they wore alot and how the other bands and haters couldnt make him quit bcuz they were mcr and nothin can ruin tht. o, and wen he says "a pretty face but u do so carry on..and on...and on" its kinda like sayin "u mite b all tht but ur goin where evryone else is goin so get over urself" and thts kinda ll i got, lol
lotms.fire.at.will
Killjoy
lotms.fire.at.will
April 28th, 2008 at 10:08pm
This song is about drug abuse, and how someone wishes they could stop it sooooo bad that they would inflict the same damage upon themselves just to end their friend/lovers pain from drugs.
Richelle-the-Ripper;
Joining The Black Parade
Richelle-the-Ripper;
May 11th, 2008 at 05:00am
this song is about thanking someone for giving them venom.
mastermind.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mastermind.
May 13th, 2008 at 09:25pm
this song is probably there most positive for me. it speaks to me (my interpertation, feel free to disagree) about being your own person and not changing for belief systems or trends. (wouldn't front the scene, sister im not much of a poet but a criminal.) the "posion" is crap and critcism people give you for being you, and you have to look past it and be ok. (or not XD)
Astro-Zombie56
Killjoy
Astro-Zombie56
May 18th, 2008 at 09:31am
Dujo:
-
This is practicly jehovah witnesses coming to your and trying to convert you wtihout giving a fuck about what you already beleive in.
Cyanide Romance
Killjoy
Cyanide Romance
June 2nd, 2008 at 02:05pm
i'm not too sure what this song is about, but i'll take a shot at it.....
I think this song is about how nothing but pills and drugs can save him from what he may be going through.
This is a badass song though.
geeway1
Killjoy
geeway1
June 5th, 2008 at 07:55pm
I think that its about how a people try to help some people and then they just say, "Screw life, I'm better off dead."----It also could be related to the clergy and how some religions think that if your not in conformity with everyone else that you are against God. That they want to love but they are just not doing it right in the eyes of the world thing...kind of like the whole "You ever feel like everyone is diffirent from you," Gerard quote.
keep on living.
Shotgun Sinner
keep on living.
June 7th, 2008 at 03:31am
Another of my favorite songs <3
I can see how it could be represented in a religious way, but I like the broader topic of the anti-conformist better. I think they used a lot of religious references as a metaphor - you know MCR, all about the metaphors! - because the idea of having someone's religion forced upon you gave a strong example of the message they were trying to get across.
I think this song is about being who you want to be, and not letting anyone hold you back or tell you how to live your life.

Sister, I'm not much a poet, but a criminal
And you never had a chance
Love it, or leave it, you can't understand
A pretty face, but you do so carry on, and on, and on

I think this first verse introduces us to the topic of one person (we'll call him the conformist) trying to persuade someone else (the anti-conformist) to change who they are, what they believe, how they live their life, etc. ("I'm not much a poet, but a criminal" ), and how the anti-conformist isn't going to change who they are in order to fit in with what their peers want them to be ("And you never had a chance" ). The last two lines may be referring to how the conformist can't can't accept the anti-conformist for who they are and all the conformist sees are the differences between them ("Love it, or leave it, you can't understand / A pretty face ..." ).

I wouldn't front the scene if you paid me
I'm just the way that the doctor made me, on, and on, and on, and on
Love is the red the rose on your coffin door
What's life like, bleeding on the floor, the floor, the floor

I think the first few lyrics of this verse refer to how the anti-conformist refuses to change who they are because someone wants them to ("I wouldn't front the scene if you paid me" ), how they're happy being an individual ("I'm just the way that the doctor made me" ). I think the last two lines are directed at the conformist, telling them that by changing who you are in order to fit in and receive acceptance from your peers ("Love is the red, the rose on your coffin door" ), you're ultimately letting go of who you are as a person. The anti-conformist is challenging the conformist, asking them "what's life like bleeding on the floor [being just like everybody else]?"

You'll never make me leave
I wear this on my sleeve
Give me a reason to believe

The bridge is also directed at the conformist from the anti-conformist's standpoint, stating that the latter will never change his ways ("You'll never make me leave" ) and asking the conformist why he'd want to be like everyone else anyway ("Give me a reason to believe" ).

So give me all your poison
And give me all your pills
And give me all your hopeless hearts
And make me ill
You're running after something
That you'll never kill
If this is what you want
Then fire at will

Here I think the anti-conformist is telling the conformist that nothing he says or does ("Give me all your poison / And give me all your pills" ) can change the opinions of the anti-conformist ("You're running after something / That you'll never kill ..." ).

Preach all you want but who's gonna save me?
I keep a gun on the book you gave me
Hallelujah, lock and load
Black is the kiss, the touch of the serpent son
It ain't the mark or the scar that makes you one, and one, and one, and one

More challenging remarks from the anti-conformist to the conformist, using religious and Biblical references to drive the point home. Using lots of metaphors again, the anti-conformist reminds the conformist that nothing can change his ways ("Preach all you want, but who's gonna save me?" ) and that just because you look like everyone else or act like everyone else doesn't necessarily mean you fit it; especially if you're faking the part just to get some acceptance ("It ain't the mark or the scar that makes you one ..." )

You'll never make me leave
I wear this on my sleeve
You wanna follow something
Give me a better cause to lead
Just give me what I need
Give me a reason to believe

In these final remarks before the song closes in chorus, the anti-conformist tells the conformist that if he wants the anti-conformist on his side, the conformist better accept the anti-conformist for who he is and stop trying to change him ("You wanna follow something / Give me a better cause to lead ... Give me a reason to believe" )

Love this song. One of my favorites, for sure <3
MCR_Luffle123
Killjoy
MCR_Luffle123
June 18th, 2008 at 06:50pm
hmn...I think its like about Gerard's addiction to drugs like his anti-depression pills. His calling them poison and of course pills, all that other crap. "Hopless hearts that make me ill" i think that like all the people who try and make him feel better but dont really care :/ just my oppinion
MCR_Luffle123
Killjoy
MCR_Luffle123
hmn...I think its like about Gerard's addiction to drugs like his anti-depression pills. His calling them poison and of course pills, all that other crap. "Hopless hearts that make me ill" i think that like all the people who try and make him feel better but dont really care :/ just my oppinion
MCR_Luffle123
Killjoy
MCR_Luffle123
Lustful Blood
Killjoy
Lustful Blood
June 24th, 2008 at 06:19pm
This is probably, out of all of them my favorite My Chemical Romance song. I believe the meaning is like said above many times, about clergy. Gerard and the rest of the band really input great meanings into all of their songs. Some of them are hidden, but each is deep and able to be found. It is simply beautiful how do their work.
McR-Dead!-Hearse
Killjoy
McR-Dead!-Hearse
July 9th, 2008 at 03:57pm
yes,all of you are right.
I love McR as much as you all do, and this song is also one of my favorites by them.
but i think Gerard shouldn't have insulted God or Christ or religion or anything.
these are holy for us.
I'm confused,how a band which saves lives, can sing against God?!!!
frankisahottie
Killjoy
frankisahottie
July 26th, 2008 at 06:59am
i have loads of missionary's at my door each day!!!!!i get really really pissed off with them.i worship god already.leave me alone
Forget_Me_Not
Killjoy
Forget_Me_Not
July 26th, 2008 at 02:49pm
It reminds me the people who come to my door and say: "O fim do mundo está próximo" (it means "The world's end is near" in Portuguese). I think that the song is about the clergy and those who try to sell us their religion and not about God or any religion in particular.
mikkyhill
Killjoy
mikkyhill
August 12th, 2008 at 12:42pm
Right. Well im not sure. There are many theories that could be more correct than mine, but Im just saying my opinion.

I have depression. Im maybe going on anti depressants. Im not happpy about it. I dont believe that they will help, and that they will make me worse. (Hence - "Im just the way the doctor made me", "Give me a reason to believe" (I dont beleive it will make me better - give me a reason why I should believe), Giving me the anti depressants - obviously "So give me all your posion, and give me all your pills....", and I also beleieve that, no matter what they do, they'll never save me from the depression - "You're running after something that you'll never kill", but in the end of the day, I relally dont care if they try -they can try all they want to fix me - "If this is what you want, then fire at will!".

Meh. Just an idea...
playground eyes.
Awake and Unafraid
playground eyes.
August 23rd, 2008 at 07:32am
^^ I completely agree with you guys. It seems that this song is directed at those people who come door-to-door, preaching about God. Or, more generally, just anyone who preaches and tries to push their religion upon others. It's not bad or anything, he isn't exactly singing "against" God, but he is just saying that everyone has a right to there own opinion. I think anyway. And it probably is partially about pills and stuff too, because of the references in the chorus.
xoxox/