Don't have an account? Create one!

Thank You For The Venom

AuthorMessage
MCR-crazy-94
Banned
MCR-crazy-94
August 30th, 2008 at 08:23pm
Cindered_Rose:
My Chemical Romance played the main stage at the 2006 Reading and Leeds Festival—this was the largest show they have ever played in the UK. According to issue 221 of Alternative Press, they followed Slayer and were not received warmly by the crowd at Reading, as the band was subjected to heavy bottling. Large sections of the audience threw bacon, tangerines, golf balls, and bottles filled with urine at the group as they played. This reportedly upset Gerard, who then introduced the song "Thank You For the Venom" saying:

"This song is called Thanks for All the Bottles, Thanks for All the *iss, Thanks for All the Golf Balls, Thanks for All the Apples and Thanks for All the Sticky Mess'

LOL Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
That title's pretty awesome actually. Clap Punk thud thud thud thud thud thud thud thud thud thud thud thud thud thud
sweet_nightmare
Killjoy
sweet_nightmare
September 13th, 2008 at 09:30am
This song still gets me through a lot of shit. I just take it as "If you don't like how I am no matter how hard you try you're not going to change me so either deal with the person I am or just leave me the hell alone."
The chorus is the most empowering part for me.
we_r_4evr_parading06
Killjoy
we_r_4evr_parading06
September 14th, 2008 at 09:06am
Black is the kiss, the touch of the serpent son
It ain't the mark or the scar that makes you one, and one, and one, and one

Personally, I think this line was a Harry Potter reference because the Dark Mark is a serpent brought about by the followers of Voldemort and the scar is obviously Harry.
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
October 11th, 2008 at 09:48pm
I Love this song because its like a screw you song.
Personally it's just talking about people trying to change others to suit themselves.
I Love The chorus and how it's like do what you want but this is me!
playground eyes.
Awake and Unafraid
playground eyes.
October 28th, 2008 at 07:50am
we_r_4evr_parading06:
It ain't the mark or the scar that makes you one, and one, and one, and one

Personally, I think this line was a Harry Potter reference because the Dark Mark is a serpent brought about by the followers of Voldemort and the scar is obviously Harry.

OMG! So I'm not the only one who noticed!?
A few weeks ago I was listening to Thank You For The Venom and i noticed how that line seemed to relate to Harry Potter. I know that gerard likes HP and maybe he deliberately used a HP reference to relate to how some people treat their religion. ?
xox.
playground eyes.
Awake and Unafraid
playground eyes.
October 28th, 2008 at 07:50am
double post.
Gerard.
Banned
Gerard.
October 28th, 2008 at 12:29pm
it's like saying cmon try and kill me cause it will NEVER work!
Louis Lebeau
Killjoy
Louis Lebeau
November 23rd, 2008 at 04:26am
this is one of my favs my chem songs ever...
is just so perfect...

love is the red of a rose on your coffin door...

i'm just the way of the doctor made me!!!

give me all your poison.. and give me all your pills.. and giveme all your hopeless heart and make me ill..

pray all you want, but how is going to saveme..

is about hate... and as every body should know.. you only can hate.. want onetime you love... so is about love...

is because only the people you care most in the world.. the only ones how could actually hurt you... not 'cust the want to... just cuz is the human nature...

and you have to learn to keep alive.. and.. taking off the poison off.. and stand up... and never give up...

that's why i love this song... why this song means a lot to my...

cuz this song save my live...
cuz... my chemical romance save my live...

and for all the world.. i just have to say...

"merci pour le venin"
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
November 29th, 2008 at 03:56am
I thought it was him rejecting the emo label he's been given. Especially the line "give me a better cause to lead". Smile
Muerte Poetica
Jazz Hands
Muerte Poetica
January 28th, 2009 at 01:36pm
I think it is about people preaching about god. personaly i love this song because it just sums upo my life
HatsonSauniel
Killjoy
HatsonSauniel
April 20th, 2009 at 04:42pm
I'm either going to ruin this song for some, or open eyes for others. This song is not about preaching and trying to indoctrinate religion on others. This song can be related to Gerard's history of alcohol abuse, and to anyone else who's gone through troubled times and have had their friends constantly persist to rescue them.

First off it's important to realize this song has characters in it, and there is the alcoholic/druggie/depressed (abuser) character, and there is the persistent “friend” who understands what's best. Since there are characters, that means the song's lyrics and versus act as dialog between the two. The first verse-

Sister, I'm not much a poet, but a criminal
And you never had a chance
Love it, or leave it, you can't understand
A pretty face, but you do so carry on,
and on,
and on

-is spoken by the abuser. Basically they're saying, “look, I'm not what you want me to be, I don't expect you to understand and just leave me alone.” The abuser continues-

I wouldn't front the scene if you paid me
I'm just the way that the doctor made me, on,
and on,
and on,
and on

-Here they are implying that they don't see anything wrong with their-self. Next the friend speaks out in opposition and says-

Love is the red the rose on your coffin door
What's life like, bleeding on the floor,
the floor,
the floor

-This is the friends attempt to try and persuade their abusing friend, that what your doing is no way to live. Then the friend goes on to declare they're persistence-

You'll never make me leave
I wear this on my sleeve
Give me a reason to believe

-Next the friend follows up with their plan to action (the most beautiful chorus of all time)-

So give me all your poison
And give me all your pills
And give me all your hopeless hearts
And make me ill
You're running after something
That you'll never kill
If this is what you want
Then fire at will

The chorus is metaphor after metaphor, and put simply it's saying, give me all your troubles because your friendship is the ultimate high, and if you cant trust me to help, then know what you're doing is killing yourself. More elegantly the friend is saying give me all your poisons (alcohol), give me all your pills (drugs), give me all your hopeless hearts (depression), and make ME ill (together we can see each other through). You're running after something that you'll never kill (your search for the ultimate high can never be found through artificial means). But if this is what you want then fire at will (I can only give you the gift of help, you have to unwrap it... Your decision has consequences.)

After the friends attempt to show the right path, the abuser snaps back-

Preach all you want but who's gonna save me?
I keep a gun on the book you gave me, hallelujah, lock and load
It ain't the mark or the scar that makes you one,
and one,
and one,
and one

This is a common thing for an abuser to do, which is to neglect help. Maybe it's because they don't understand what they're doing or its a test to see if their friend really wants to help them. Broken down though, this is saying, try to (preach) persuade me all you want but I'll shoot down any idea you have (gun on the book), your love for me has no effect and our past times don't matter anymore (Black is the kiss).

The rest of the song is the friend persisting his view through the elegant words of the chorus.

So as you see this song is not about people going door to door trying to impose religion. Rather it's a common scene of two friends battling it out about how to live a healthy full-filling life. And in the case of Gerard (abuser) the friend(s) won. More can be said, and if interested please reply.
xXVioletRoseXx
Killjoy
xXVioletRoseXx
April 27th, 2009 at 07:47pm
THIS IS my current favorite song and it is about not wanting people to come to my your his house and to LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Daft
Fabulous Killjoy
Daft
April 30th, 2009 at 06:16pm
Incognito.:
I Love this song because its like a screw you song.
Personally it's just talking about people trying to change others to suit themselves.
I Love The chorus and how it's like do what you want but this is me!

This song is (to me) is about tash chignell being a total twat to us! lol so screw you chig! (oops if thats against rules /facepalmwrists)
Hiroshima Lovers
Killjoy
Hiroshima Lovers
May 5th, 2009 at 03:34pm
I Think The Whole 'Give Me All Your Poison' ECT... Part Is About Religion 'Poisoning' People,Causing Extremism,And Making People Believe In Something That They Will Always Be Saved , The Same For 'Preach All You Want,But Who's Gonna Save Me?'
riot reality
Jazz Hands
riot reality
May 9th, 2009 at 11:47pm
Well, I think it's mainly talking about how people try to reform others to their religions. But with that, they're talking about all the ways people try to change others and force their beliefs on you.

"Love it, or leave it, you can't understand
A pretty face, but you do so carry on
And on,
And on"

Right here sounds to me like they're saying that you can either "love it or leave it", accept them or don't bother with them. The the next part sounds like they look good from the outside, but really they just "carry on, and on, and on", like they just never stop, which gets really annoying,

"I wouldn't front the scene if you paid me
I'm just the way that the doctor made me"

I think there they're saying that they don't want any part in whatever's being forced on them. It sounds like they're turning down a leadership role, and they just weren't made to take part in it.

"Love is the red of the rose on your coffin door
What's life like, bleeding on the floor"

I think this means that the people trying to "reform" others think that they're doing it for the others' own good, and that they're being caring and loving, but it'll probably be the end of them.

"You'll never make me leave
I wear this on my sleeve
Give me a reason to believe"

This basically sounds like them saying that they'll always be there as their un-reformed selves, and that they'll "wear their hearts on their sleves", and that they won't be convinced to change, because really, when someone says "give me a reason", they're saying that they don't see any reason to change their ways and they don't plan on it.

"So give me all your poison
And make me ill
That you'll never kill
If this is what you want
Then fire at will"

Here it's saying that "you can try to kill us but it won't work". As in, "you can throw everything you've got at us but we won't change."

"Preach all you want but who's gonna save me?
I keep a gun on the book you gave me, hallelujah, lock and load"

This is them using the religion theme again to get their point across. It's pretty much them saying "you can try all you want but changing won't do me any good. I go against what you believe in (gun on the book you gave me-- the bible is against murder and such, and guns are used for murder mostly). So I'll just keep on clashing with you (loading the gun, that goes against them)."

"Black is the kiss, the touch of the serpent son
It ain't the mark or the scar that makes you one"

This doesn't seem like Harry Potter to me. Maybe because I could never manage to get through one of the books, I dunno. But "black is the kiss" reminds me of the 'Judas Kiss', where Judas the disipal kissed Jesus to show who he was to the ones who would kill him-- the Judas Kiss symbolizes betrayal. And "the touch of the serpent's son", I'm not too sure about the 'son' part, but I think it means being tempted by the devil and giving in.

"You wanna follow something
Give me a better cause to lead
Just give me what I need
Give me a reason to believe"

I like what someone else on here said about this part. It does sound like he's rejecting the "emo" lable, and saying that he wants a better cause than that to lead. Maybe this whole song could be about how people are trying to make him an "emo kid" and how he's saying he won't "reform" to it. Who knows...

But that's what I think the song is. I really love it =]
NymphetaminexGirl
Killjoy
NymphetaminexGirl
May 14th, 2009 at 10:41pm
I'll take the negative.
I think it's about sacrificing himself for someone, but not believing what they say, so it's like they can agree to disagree but he still loves them enough to save them.
I think that this is adressed to his fans (but maybe that's just because I'm egotistical)
"give me all your poison, give me all your pills, give me all your hopeless hearts and make me ill"
Like he's okay with the sacrifice as long as it helps someone.
CrazyXxLady17
Killjoy
CrazyXxLady17
May 17th, 2009 at 12:38am
I belive in what fatality in the snow said.
ItsTheStaticAge!
Jazz Hands
ItsTheStaticAge!
June 7th, 2009 at 11:06am
this song means alot to me, the chorus, i think, MCR are wanting us to give them all our hurt and pain and suffering and make them ill so we can live our lives happily. I've always thought of it like that idk why just do In Love
May
Killjoy
May
June 20th, 2009 at 07:06pm
this is an amazing song. i think that this song is about Missionaries, or in other words pple who go around proclaiming the gospel, and Gerard just wants them to leave him alone.(PREACH ALL U WANT, BUT WHO'S GONNA SAVE ME? ; GIVE ME A REASON TO BELIEVE; SO GIVE ME ALL UR POISON; U WANNA FOLLOW SOMETHING, GIVE ME A BETTER CAUSE TO LIVE.) and so thats what i get from this.. but i dont know. thats just my poing of view. great song by the way.. i <3 u my chemical romance! Very Happy
KHelenaF
Killjoy
KHelenaF
July 2nd, 2009 at 10:17am
Well, I always thought it was about dealing with loved ones who were suicidal/had a drug addiction/ect.
Sister, I'm not much a poet, but a criminal
And you never had a chance
Love it, or leave it, you can't understand
A pretty face, but you do so carry on
And on,
And on

He's not just suffering from this, he feels responsible, He wantes her to live life or end it, because she can't see whats good, and carrying on is only bringing everyone pain.
I wouldn't front the scene if you paid me
I'm just the way that the doctor made me, on
And on
And on
And on
Love is the red of the rose on your coffin door
What's life like, bleeding on the floor,
the floor
the floor

He's not going to let this destroy him, she's just metaphorically bleeding on the floor.
You'll never make me leave
I wear this on my sleeve
Give me a reason to believe

Again, he's not going to follow her, he won't pretend it will, but he wants to think she'll be okay in the end.
So give me all your poison
And make me ill
That you'll never kill
If this is what you want
Then fire at will

Everything that he knows about how bad off she is, is making him depressed himself, even though he doesn't want it to. It's not going to be enough to make him follow her though, and she should just do it if that's what she wants so bad.
Preach all you want but who's gonna save me?
I keep a gun on the book you gave me, hallelujah, lock and load
It ain't the mark or the scar that makes you one
And one
And one
And one

I always saw this as like...a contradiction to the rest of the song, saying that everything is getting to him, I thought the book was a metaphor for the things she's told him.

I'm fairly certain I'm wrong, but just another view of the song, it's what I thought at first, and I always stick to that xD