Don't have an account? Create one!

Thank You For The Venom

AuthorMessage
DanniG0re
Killjoy
DanniG0re
September 8th, 2007 at 03:31am
This is one of my favorite MCR songs...
I never really thought about the whole "religon" aspect you are all getting at.
I'm going to go listen and disect.
<3
gnat1ns
Killjoy
gnat1ns
September 8th, 2007 at 03:59am
"Venom" is about sticking to what you believe and not being influenced by other people even when they try really hard to persuade you to agree with them. "thank you for the venom" is kinda sarcastically saying that people can throw whatever they want at you and try as hard as they want, but nothing with change who you are. Same with "fire at will." Do whatever you want, try as hard as you can, but you will never take me alive.
x_gerard_way_lover_x
Killjoy
x_gerard_way_lover_x
September 19th, 2007 at 08:44pm
i think this song is about giving up your life for someone else . the line "If this is what you want then fire at will" means that if you want me to die then just kill me . there is nothing for me to live for so why not kill me !
DarkenYourClothes
Killjoy
DarkenYourClothes
September 19th, 2007 at 10:44pm
Yeah I Think Hes Giving A Big Fuck YOU ! to all the people who bullied him in school, and i think what he means by "Thank You For The Venom" is that coz they bullied him that made him even more DETERMINED to Do well, and with the poison and the pills i think thats his suicide attempts,

Sorry if im wrong but thats my view Very Happy
LeATHERMOUTH.
Salute You in Your Grave
LeATHERMOUTH.
September 23rd, 2007 at 12:09pm
gerard said himself that this is about people who come to your door and preach and talk about christianity and he is basically saying go away to them
TaraIsBack!
Bleeding on the Floor
TaraIsBack!
October 2nd, 2007 at 08:20pm
I always got the "You're gonna be sorry because I am killing myself" vibe from this song.
Xx-AUSTIN-xX
Killjoy
Xx-AUSTIN-xX
October 9th, 2007 at 02:24am
i dont think its about rejecting god and christianity why would they put a cross on the front of three cheers' cd
GeeWay4977
Killjoy
GeeWay4977
October 9th, 2007 at 02:52am
Okay?
O___O
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 1st, 2008 at 06:21pm
This song is NOT about Christianity being wrong or missionaries needing to mind there own business! Why would Gerard Way write a song like that if he's Catholic?? The song is about a missionary ( possibly someone he knew) who would go from door to door preaching The Word. It talks about all the things people said to him, about how he was wrong and sometimes EVIL! " so give me all your poison/pills" But no matter how much lip he got from people, he didn't give up on what he truly believed in " you'll never make me leave, i wear this on my sleeve" This song is like a dedication to those people who really stand up for Jesus Christ. " If this is what you want then fire @ will" meaning, if you really want to continue having doors slammed in ur face, go ahead, cause sometimes people don't understand why they just keep going.
Scartist
Jazz Hands
Scartist
February 2nd, 2008 at 06:06am
I dont think this song has anything to do with religion.
I think it's directed to psychiatrists, and the pills reflect to all the prescription pills Gerard used to take before starting MCR.

I also don't think MCR is really religious. They use religious imigary beacuse its part of Western culture and its easy to express things through that. there is a lot of ignorance in the Bilbe and Gerard rejects that.
superhumangorilla
Jazz Hands
superhumangorilla
February 2nd, 2008 at 06:49am
I doubt its about religion
Is'nt there an interview where Gerard said that they don't like using things like God as a scape goat?
Although I can see where you're coming from...
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 2nd, 2008 at 08:25pm
Thanks superhumangorilla. You may not completley agree but your trying to see that point of view, that's cool. I'm not sure bout that interview, I know there's one where Gerard talks about how the CD talks about growing up Catholic. This is to Scartist, if the song was just about perscription pills, then why would he start the song with "Sister" like a nun... and why would he be talking about preaching and saving and the serpent son??
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 2nd, 2008 at 08:27pm
oh and that line "i'm just the way that the doctor made me, on and on and on and on" is talking about how people would just refuse to hear it, and how the missionary would just keep hearing things like that ON AND ON
Diana_Zitlali
Killjoy
Diana_Zitlali
February 5th, 2008 at 11:58pm
When I first came to this post, I thought that it was directed at missionaries or suicidal people.
However, I'm not so sure anymore..
A lot of these opinions make a lot more sense then the obvious ones.
The one before me that says that it couldn't be a missionary because MCR doesn't like using God as a scrape goat makes a lot of sense...
However, I think that religion does play a prominent role in this song.
Maybe he was talking about how religion doesn't have strong backings these days.
The old religions may have been good and dandy in the older times but we needed them more for mental health then anything.
Sometimes, the routines are the very things that save us from going insane.
Maybe this song is referring to the shakiness of what they promise us.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Give me a reason to believe"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always thought that "You're chasing after something that you'll never kill! If This is what you want then fire at will!" meant that you can chase after all of your insecurities and problems but they'll never kill them. They'll never eliminate them. "...Fire at will!" may mean However, if this if REALLY what you want to go ahead and do away with yourself at your leisure.
I am Probably Sooooo Wrong, but to tell you the truth...
I'm a little confused myself right now...
<3
shot_to_remember
Killjoy
shot_to_remember
February 10th, 2008 at 10:35am
I've had an idea about this song for a long while, but now it sounds sort of off, but oh well - I think its directed at the media. I'm not going to list all the connections, but here are a few:

You'll never make me leave - MCR are here to stay.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wear this on my sleeve - Reminds me of the expression, "wearing your heart on your sleeve." It's exactly what My Chem are doing.
So give me all your poison - All the **** that the media throws at them.
Give me all your hopeless hearts and make me ill - The emo label that's being thrown at the band is starting to sicken them. It's like being called something disgusting over and over again.
I wouldn't front the scene if you paid me - MCR used to have to perform with a lot of bands completely different from them as part of the emo scene.
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 15th, 2008 at 02:21am
Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Cool Laughing Mad Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Neutral Mr. Green Bye Clap Crying or Very sad Dance Disgust Ha Ha In Love Naughty No Nyam ............................................................... bored lol
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 15th, 2008 at 02:23am
shot_to_remember:
I've had an idea about this song for a long while, but now it sounds sort of off, but oh well - I think its directed at the media. I'm not going to list all the connections, but here are a few:

You'll never make me leave - MCR are here to stay.
I wear this on my sleeve - Reminds me of the expression, "wearing your heart on your sleeve." It's exactly what My Chem are doing.
So give me all your poison - All the **** that the media throws at them.
Give me all your hopeless hearts and make me ill - The emo label that's being thrown at the band is starting to sicken them. It's like being called something disgusting over and over again.
I wouldn't front the scene if you paid me - MCR used to have to perform with a lot of bands completely different from them as part of the emo scene.

That's a pretty creative idea. I honestly don't think that's what this song is about, however, I like this persons thinking... a lot of those lines fit. That's another thing I like about MCR music is that if it doesn't pertain to your situation exactly, u can change that, there songs can b a lot of different things. Clap
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
March 11th, 2008 at 02:48am
i think this may be partially abt Gee's own experience of overcoming drug & alcohol addiction, and also influenced by the band's love of classic horror movies -- i'm having Frankenstein or the Wolfman in mind here... u can disagree if u want to. "I'm just the way the doctor made me (sooo frankenstein)...You're running after something that u'll never kill. If this is what you want, then fire at will." Its like challenging them to 'get me if u can'.

As for cynicism regarding the clergy, i thought of how priests perform exorcisms and such, but what if the person they're doing it on is not in fact possessed, but just...yknow, different? like those women who were accused of witchcraft, etc. Or maybe someone who is just depressed & needs a friend, not talk abt religion and salvation. "preach all u want but who's gonna save me?" So...imagine this frankenstein-like person who keeps being hunted down for being a freak .... they try to treat him or medicate him or 'cure' him thru religion, & they don't see the real problem.
Helmee Bluth
In The Murder Scene
Helmee Bluth
March 11th, 2008 at 04:06am
I agree (with the post on the last page).

Except, I always thought of "I'm just the way that the doctor made me" as referring to the prescriptions. I thought it should be said, sorry if it's obvious. Embarassed
laurie
Killjoy
laurie
March 12th, 2008 at 01:57pm
yeah, I agree on that one too. About the prescriptions.

As it's been said, this song can be seen from various different points of view. Such as a protest against the clerigy, a query to end the characters own life, a fucked up relationship... I like them all.

I think the main point is that he doesn't want to follow anyone's rules or ideology . So it's a big F*CK YOU to everyone who's trying to put ideas in his head. That could be the church, but it can also refer to regular people who constantly try to put words in your head and make you wanna be part of the crowd. I think it's about not being mediocre.