Don't have an account? Create one!

Thank You For The Venom

AuthorMessage
the greatest coward.
Bleeding on the Floor
the greatest coward.
April 16th, 2007 at 08:40pm
I think that this song is about how people are trying to get him to conform, but he doesn't really believe in what they're telling him. And he's saying that these people can do whatever they want but he's gonna stay true to himslef.

Either that or:

Life is getting really hard and he was doubting himself. But now he's telling himself that he'll make it and that no matter what life does to him, he'll be able to handle it and take control.

Whatever it means, there's definitely something about this song that sorta gives strength to me.
xodemolition-loverox
Killjoy
xodemolition-loverox
April 21st, 2007 at 04:20am
i read in kerrang! that its about
firephoenix0013
Killjoy
firephoenix0013
April 21st, 2007 at 12:01pm
arsonist; edlaine:
I think that this song is directed to the clergy.

Preach all you want but who's gonna save me
I keep a gun on the book that you gave me
Hallelujah, lock and load

I think that those lines meant that they can preach about the lord all they want. But whatever they are doing isn't helping him.

I agree. As I said before, Mikey and Gerard were raised in a Christian upbringing, but no longer practice the faith.
normal's overrated.
In The Murder Scene
normal's overrated.
April 21st, 2007 at 01:05pm
Gerard has said this and it has been confirmed that it's about the music scene at the time of when he wrote.
but it can mean whatever you want it to mean for you, that's just what it's about.
to me it means being told to conform but not wanting to and rebeling, but in a good way.
i shot ur goldfish
Killjoy
i shot ur goldfish
April 26th, 2007 at 05:30am
i reckon its about like loving someone so much that you wana help them like get better or sumthin (you'll never make me leave)....and "if this is what you want, then fire at will" could be like instead of taking just your own life take mine too, so we can be together..... plus...i <3 the guitar solo in this song! it freakin rox!!!
xXtRaGIc_AffAiRXx
Jazz Hands
xXtRaGIc_AffAiRXx
April 26th, 2007 at 06:19am
i just think like, its about getting loads of crap and abuse from people, but you're like whatever, you can give me grief as much as you want, i dont care, its not gonna make me change and be like you
oo_mitch05_oo
Killjoy
oo_mitch05_oo
April 26th, 2007 at 10:04am
i love this song and it has great lyrics although i'm not sure what it means. but everytime i hear it, i know there is a beautiful meaning behind it.
oo_mitch05_oo
Killjoy
oo_mitch05_oo
April 30th, 2007 at 12:09pm
i think this song is about doing whatever you want to do because you know that it's what's best for you thus, the lyrics:
"So give me all your poison
And give me all your pills
And give me all your hopeless hearts
And make me ill
You're running after something
That you'll never kill
If this is what you want
Then fire at will"

. . .you can say what the hell you want but what does it have to do with me:

"Preach all you want but who's gonna save me?"

. . . whatever you do, you can't change my mind. . .

"You'll never make me leave
I wear this on my sleeve
You wanna follow something
Give me a better cause to lead
Just give me what I need
Give me a reason to believe"

basically, i think that this song is about doing what you wanna do and not letting anyone push you around. just like what gerard said "Be Yourself, Don't take anyone's shit and never let them take you alive..."
gerard7
Killjoy
gerard7
May 3rd, 2007 at 12:42pm
i think it means that he wants to die from poison or someone gave him poison and didnt know
the greatest coward.
Bleeding on the Floor
the greatest coward.
May 3rd, 2007 at 11:20pm
I've been trying to find out what the line "black is the kiss the touch of the serpant's son"

so a serpant means deciet and evil.... so what comes from deciet and evil is shame and revenge i think...... so maybe it's like if you conform to them all that you'll get is shame and vengence....

sorta sounds like bs but idk i think it works
oo_mitch05_oo
Killjoy
oo_mitch05_oo
May 5th, 2007 at 08:41am
Cindered_Rose:
My Chemical Romance played the main stage at the 2006 Reading and Leeds Festival—this was the largest show they have ever played in the UK. According to issue 221 of Alternative Press, they followed Slayer and were not received warmly by the crowd at Reading, as the band was subjected to heavy bottling. Large sections of the audience threw bacon, tangerines, golf balls, and bottles filled with urine at the group as they played. This reportedly upset Gerard, who then introduced the song "Thank You For the Venom" saying:

"This song is called Thanks for All the Bottles, Thanks for All the *iss, Thanks for All the Golf Balls, Thanks for All the Apples and Thanks for All the Sticky Mess'

In the past there have been many attempts at labelling the band as an 'emo', 'over emotional' or a band who has 'nothing positive to say to the world.'

In the song when it says:

'Love it, or leave it, you can't understand'
It means what the band express in their songs has a greater meaning than some people see because they have a huge lack of understanding. It also says you can either love what i do or leave it but you cant change my ways.

'You'll never make me leave, i wear this on my sleeve
Give me a reason to belive'
This is saying how no one will/can change his mind or change the way he thinks. He feels proud of what he does and you will have to provide him with a true reason to believe your way.

'So give me all your poison, and give me all your pills
and give me all your hopless hearts and make me ill '
This is refering to the treatment they were given with all the bottles calling it the 'Poison'. The 'hopeless hearts' are the people who showed huge ignorance and misunderstanding for the bands work No

i agree with this Dance this is what i wanted to say but Cindered_Rose said it better with the evidence and stuff. Nyam
Madame x Gerard
Killjoy
Madame x Gerard
May 5th, 2007 at 08:50am
it means that hes saying that well im not really sure though it might be how hes thanking for all the bad things thats how i look at it
Wink
Motherfuckingwar
Fabulous Killjoy
Motherfuckingwar
May 6th, 2007 at 09:34am
In my opinion itz obvious that gerard is very direct in this.."Give me all your poison and Give me all your pills" I find that very strong and very direct like when he was an alcoholic and I find that "Give me a reason to believe" is asking in another way Give me a reason to stay alive or Give me a reason to believe in myself.
Soyeah...
i shot ur goldfish
Killjoy
i shot ur goldfish
May 7th, 2007 at 06:24am
oo_mitch05_oo:
Cindered_Rose:
My Chemical Romance played the main stage at the 2006 Reading and Leeds Festival—this was the largest show they have ever played in the UK. According to issue 221 of Alternative Press, they followed Slayer and were not received warmly by the crowd at Reading, as the band was subjected to heavy bottling. Large sections of the audience threw bacon, tangerines, golf balls, and bottles filled with urine at the group as they played. This reportedly upset Gerard, who then introduced the song "Thank You For the Venom" saying:

"This song is called Thanks for All the Bottles, Thanks for All the *iss, Thanks for All the Golf Balls, Thanks for All the Apples and Thanks for All the Sticky Mess'

In the past there have been many attempts at labelling the band as an 'emo', 'over emotional' or a band who has 'nothing positive to say to the world.'

In the song when it says:

'Love it, or leave it, you can't understand'
It means what the band express in their songs has a greater meaning than some people see because they have a huge lack of understanding. It also says you can either love what i do or leave it but you cant change my ways.

'You'll never make me leave, i wear this on my sleeve
Give me a reason to belive'
This is saying how no one will/can change his mind or change the way he thinks. He feels proud of what he does and you will have to provide him with a true reason to believe your way.

'So give me all your poison, and give me all your pills
and give me all your hopless hearts and make me ill '
This is refering to the treatment they were given with all the bottles calling it the 'Poison'. The 'hopeless hearts' are the people who showed huge ignorance and misunderstanding for the bands work No

i agree with this Dance this is what i wanted to say but Cindered_Rose said it better with the evidence and stuff. Nyam

wow!!! thats really good =D n n n it makes a shitload of sence....and like the song is not only for gerard, but everyone. i mean, how many people have someone trying to change them? like it could be family, society looking down on you just for believing in what you believe in, dressing how you want.....or it can even be yourself and wondering if you should start listening to all the people who tell you how you could make your life sooo much better if you do things there way!
"the hardest thing is to be yourself in a world where everyone is trying to make you be someone your not"
pritti much, to me, this song is about doing stuff for you, and believing in yourself... and that although people will try to bring you down you just have to get through it and not let them suceed! and like when the song goes "your running after something that you'll never kill" its talking about like how you can try to get me but no matter how fast you run and no matter what you say or do you will never get me !
vEnom flavour_cookiE
Killjoy
vEnom flavour_cookiE
May 12th, 2007 at 07:32am
jesus, its impossible for me to love this song more than i already do. i tend to think about the meaning a lot...

okay: 'sister, im not much a poet but a criminal' i think this is gerard stating how people might take him to be this amazing lyricist and shite but in actual fact, he is a human being who has done bad stuff before- more a criminal than a poet. thats just my opinion for that line, though...

oh, also, i remember readint this interview where they said the lyric 'i wouldnt front this scene if you paid me' meant that they didnt want to have to do this while corporate music buisness shit, that they just wanted to get the message across to the kids and that they didnt want to have to conform and fit in to what people expect music to be like.
'youll never make me leave' as in, i dont care what you think about my music, im here to stay, im here for the people who actually give a shit

its a very powerful song, full of determination, and one of the most inspiring. i dont know where id be without it. its pretty uplifting whenever they play it at shows.
Catastrophic Dreams
Jazz Hands
Catastrophic Dreams
May 13th, 2007 at 01:40pm
lady_venom_x:
jesus, its impossible for me to love this song more than i already do. i tend to think about the meaning a lot...

okay: 'sister, im not much a poet but a criminal' i think this is gerard stating how people might take him to be this amazing lyricist and shite but in actual fact, he is a human being who has done bad stuff before- more a criminal than a poet. thats just my opinion for that line, though...

oh, also, i remember readint this interview where they said the lyric 'i wouldnt front this scene if you paid me' meant that they didnt want to have to do this while corporate music buisness shit, that they just wanted to get the message across to the kids and that they didnt want to have to conform and fit in to what people expect music to be like.
'youll never make me leave' as in, i dont care what you think about my music, im here to stay, im here for the people who actually give a shit

its a very powerful song, full of determination, and one of the most inspiring. i dont know where id be without it. its pretty uplifting whenever they play it at shows.
I agree
and i completly love this song
i shot ur goldfish
Killjoy
i shot ur goldfish
May 14th, 2007 at 04:06am
^^^ me 2.... i <3 thankyou for the venom! and its funny, cuz everyone interprates it differently...but like everyone is inspired by it, kinda thing.... i would be lost without it!
Dan.
Demolition Lover
Dan.
May 18th, 2007 at 08:25pm
Black is the kiss, the touch of the serpent son
It ain't the mark or the scar that makes you one,

do you think that this might be a reference to harry potter???
e.g. serpent son = heir of Slytherin, mark or scar = harry's lightning bolt scar

it porbably isnt though.
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
May 19th, 2007 at 12:24am
Hee hee! Never thought of that. I wouldn't be surprised if MCR are HP fans.
MCRnati
Fabulous Killjoy
MCRnati
May 19th, 2007 at 07:02pm
I dont think Thank you for the venom is a negative song at all. Some people mentioned that they think its saying stuff like "there is no reason for me to keep on living" or any other negative things. To me it just means that you can bully me,disrespect me, pick on me etc but it will not change the way i am and you will not bring me down. I am better than you and there is no way im going to be something im not. You can keep trying to bring me down but it wont work. Thats basically what i get form the song..