Don't have an account? Create one!

Paedophilia

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
January 12th, 2009 at 07:00pm
Deb:
Pedophilia is NOT a sexual preference, it is a propulsion toward violence, like all other forms of rape. The onset of this aberration is not a gradual progression
When did I ever say it was a sexual preference? You're acting as if that's what I was implying, when I quite clearly stated that - as you said after I had- it's gradual.

I don't quite know why we're disagreeing, because we both obviously hate pedophilia.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
January 12th, 2009 at 09:30pm
Mindfuck:
When did I ever say it was a sexual preference? I don't quite know why we're disagreeing, because we both obviously hate pedophilia.
I am not quite sure either, but just because I made that comment doesn't mean I accused you personally of making that contention.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 15th, 2009 at 07:48am
Deb:
I still don't believe that, and furthermore, we wouldn't know about it if such a person existed. We can't read people's thoughts, and such people do not openly discuss them.

How's this for a late reply? Wink

But the definition of a pedophile is:
"An adult who is sexually attracted to children"
Source.

Not an adult who has committed a sexual crime against children. Therefore, we cannot condone pedophiles in general because not all pedophiles have committed a crime. I hope that makes sense somehow, I'm bad at explaining.

If someone came to you and said that they were a pedophile, yet had not acted on their urges and never would, what would you do? Hypothetically of course.
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
April 15th, 2009 at 09:15am
I worked at the prosecutor's office in the child abuse bureau for some time. Our training manuals indicated: a pedophile is one charged or convicted of the sexual abuse of a minor (including both prepubescent children and adolescent minors younger than the local age of consent).
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 15th, 2009 at 11:25am
Then why do they say "convicted pedophile" on the news? Surely that's just them saying the same thing twice?
And maybe the meaning of pedophile is different in different countries, or states?
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
April 15th, 2009 at 01:24pm
being charged and convicted are different things. Maybe that's why they say convicted.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 16th, 2009 at 07:01am
Could be, I suppose.
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
April 16th, 2009 at 10:28am
Charged and convicted are 2 very different things, which is why they differentiate.
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 24th, 2009 at 07:48am
i think this is wrong!!!
peadophilia is not okay on any level!

i think they should either get shot
locked up.
or when caughty have it
tatooed in their head
HI! IM A PEADOPHILE ^_^

¬_¬
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 24th, 2009 at 06:36pm
^ I'm only speaking for the US, but that would be "cruel and unusual punishment"
and like others have said, is it really wrong if the person 1) cannot control it and 2) does not act on it?
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 25th, 2009 at 02:43am

Man, I must sound like a broken record by now. Smile

Look here and you will see most definitions contain no mention of a criminal act against children.

"an adult who is sexually attracted to children"
"From two Greek words: ''pedo" means "child;" and "philia" means "love for." "
"a person who prefers sex with children"
"Sexual attraction to a child"
"People with pedophilia have fantasies, urges or behaviors that involve illegal sexual activity with a prepubescent child or children"

However, I must admit that this is objectable.
The definition has been used so much with criminal offenders that the line is now blurring between wether this means the person has committed a crime or not.
Its all down to opinion I guess.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 25th, 2009 at 02:23pm
Well, but how would we know if a person is a pedophile or not unless they acted upon it, though? It's not exactly going to come up in casual conversation!
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 25th, 2009 at 03:56pm
you might know if your walkin down the street and
your a child/teenager
and a say... 30year old man/woman was walkin down the street
as well and strted 'chekckng you out'

or if they randomly start talking to you and they dont seem drunk...

otherwise...
i aint got a fekkin clue =/
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 25th, 2009 at 04:01pm
[quote="questionable content"]^ I'm only speaking for the US, but that would be "cruel and unusual punishment"

why woudl it be cruel...
even if they cant help it...
ppl need to be warned...

THINK OF THE INNOCENT CHILDREN WHO GET RAPED!

cant remeber it well coz it happened a while ago

but a mother laeft her 3year old daughter at hoem with her boyfriend
(which wasnt the kids dad)
while she was out that 3year old was raped by the man...

the child was found dead at the appartment....

what do you say to that one??
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 25th, 2009 at 05:14pm
Remember, a pedophile is "an adult who is sexually attracted to children."
People can't help who they are attracted to (ex. gays and lesbians)
So for an inborn trait, you think people should have "pedophile" tattooed on their heads, shot, and/or imprisoned?
Don't forget the pedophiles are people too, and they have a right to live freely, unless they are convicted of a crime, for which they will be punished fairly.

Yes, innocent children do get raped. But the age is the only thing which distinguishes a pedophile from a so called "regular" rapist.
Is that enough to justify shooting and tattooing?
If anything, that treatment is similar to the treatment of the Jews and others by the Nazis in concentration camps.

Raping and assaulting anyone is wrong; there's no doubt about that. But the measures you're suggesting to punish pedophiles are very extreme, and unconstitutional in most countries.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 25th, 2009 at 09:26pm
Deb:
Well, but how would we know if a person is a pedophile or not unless they acted upon it, though? It's not exactly going to come up in casual conversation!

Wouldn't that be a conversation stopper!

Yes your right, sometimes nobody else knows but that persons self that he or she is a pedophile.
But users here is saying "ALL PEDOPHILES SHOULD BE SHOT/KILLED" etc.
There are people out there who have killed, yet never told anyone. Do they still qualify as a murderer?

And what if you had a friend who confessed to having a sexual attraction to children but never acting on it.
You would know then. There are many ways you could know or suspect without the person ever acting on their urges.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 25th, 2009 at 10:12pm
Lovesick Melody.:
There are people out there who have killed, yet never told anyone. Do they still qualify as a murderer? And what if you had a friend who confessed to having a sexual attraction to children but never acting on it.
If I had a friend like that, I'd point them in the direction of a good therapist and then cut off all ties. Yes, of course an unprosecuted murderer still warrants the title. Sexual aberrations are already difficult to cure, but rape is an act of violence, and one which intelligent crimestoppers consider to be unrehabilitatable. It seems unlikely to me that such an aberration would go unacted upon, hence the emotional response of some of the posters in this thread. Yes, if you have hurt a child, I for one would be fine with capital punishment; the alternative being that you might possibly walk among innocents again someday; no thank you.
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
April 26th, 2009 at 06:53pm
"If anything, that treatment is similar to the treatment of the Jews and others by the Nazis in concentration camps."

What? You cannot be serious....

PEDOPHILES: one charged or convicted of the sexual abuse of a minor (including both prepubescent children and adolescent minors younger than the local age of consent). These are individuals who prey on the innocent, on beings who are unable to defend themselves. Beings who cannot consent. Beings who then have to live with the after effects of the abuse.

JEWISH PEOPLE IN CONCENTRATION CAMPS: Innocent individuals who were forced into camps by a terrorist regime because of their religious preference and intolerance.

Sorry, I cannot see any comparison.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 26th, 2009 at 07:10pm
By pedophile, I mean "someone who is sexually attracted to children", not neccesarily "someone who has been charged or convicted of sexual abuse of a minor".
It is possible that that person has not really abused a minor, and shooting and tattooing them (exactly what happened to some Jews during the Holocaust) is not justified. Personally, I believe that even if said person did sexually abuse a minor, however horrific that is, they still should not be shot or tattooed; instead they should be imprisoned and rehabilitated.
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 27th, 2009 at 03:57am
but if it is something they are born with mentally
therapy isnt neccaserily going to work cause its a natural thing.

therapy would only really be effective if this is something that came to them in
the middle of their life...

okay o maybe tatooed is a little bit extreme...

and maybe being shot is too..

but they may be arrested if they acted upon it...

what about a bagde???
lol