Don't have an account? Create one!

Violence against kids in subcultures

AuthorMessage
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 6th, 2007 at 01:43pm
I don't like 'emo' at all. I like emo music. Meaning, music with some kind of human emotion, happiness, sadness, etc.
But, the 'emo' stereotype supports what parents are saying about My Chemical Romance, which is very wrong.
But the fact that I hate 'emo' won't make me go over and beat one up.
It's ridiculous to just beat someone up for that.
And, I really hate being called an emo, because usually when they say it they mean it as an insult.
I can see how people can hate a certain group, but they shouldn't act on the hate.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
July 7th, 2007 at 01:40am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
Cigarettes And Suicide:
Anyway, this totally isn't the place for a discussion on what emo is or isn't.
Read the first few posts and let's get back on topic, please.

Emo this, emo that. Nobody cares.
Back on topic, please, or don't bother. This is not a discussion on emos. It's discussion on why kids attack their peers, regardless of what subculture they belong to. It seems playgrounds these days are the nerds vs the jocks vs the emos vs the cheerleaders vs the skegs vs the outcasts.
geradsredskittle666
Really Not Okay
geradsredskittle666
July 9th, 2007 at 01:45pm
My school is wierd...i went from goth to emo and then goth again. Wtf. Anyway i hate how no one can be themselves for fear of being bashed. I think its human nature to be biased against there oposite for example preps hating goths and emos.
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
July 9th, 2007 at 03:19pm
this...happened in melbourne? shame on australia...really shame on our country. People need to get reminded of the very first line of our national anthem:

AUSTRALIANS ALL LET US REJOICE FOR WE ARE YOUNG AND FREE.

young and free! I wish kids who bash other kids up will make sense of this.
no one has a right to take it out on other people. Atrocious...and Flinders St...is exactly where I'll be hanging out on my Melbourne trip in a week's time.

I love subcultures- i think it's where you can feel you belong and be unique at the same time (i love the irony too). It's NOT an excuse to think you're better than anyone else.
Life Is But A Dream_
Killjoy
Life Is But A Dream_
July 10th, 2007 at 10:28pm
I get labeled a lot at my school.(Emo\Goth\Metalhead) I find it funny how ignorant people are. I just laugh and walk away,since I don't care what people label me.I can understand people disliking eachother, but hateis a strong word. Even if you truly hate someone, you should leave them alone. You won't get to see that person, or group of people as often since you won't be near them. I personally don't care what people believe about other groups of people. Let them do what they like. Let them be who they are. You don't have to be a part of it.I think why people act this way is because they're ignorant, and don't know much about whatever they dislike. So they assume things, like goths being evil, emos cutting, cheerleaders being slutty...Everyone in my opinion is ignorant of something, because that's just natural.
Meeshell
Awake and Unafraid
Meeshell
July 10th, 2007 at 10:32pm
in my opinion, its okay to disagree with a certain stereotype for the most part, but why HATE them? they never did anything to you! thats why i'm so mad at the stories of kids being brutally beaten because of the music they listen to and the clothes that they wear. im against stereotypes as a whole, as well, but thats a whole different topic.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 27th, 2007 at 06:41am
^problem is, people just don't get what's different from them, it's sad how they refuse to be open-minded
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 28th, 2007 at 04:35am
Skittles;;Ierodactyl:
in my opinion, its okay to disagree with a certain stereotype for the most part, but why HATE them? they never did anything to you! thats why i'm so mad at the stories of kids being brutally beaten because of the music they listen to and the clothes that they wear. im against stereotypes as a whole, as well, but thats a whole different topic.
Yes, I totally agree with you.

And, usually, the people who are brutally beaten don't label themselves emo they get that label from other people...

But there is a reason to dislike the ones that say they're emo and that their lives suck, and that mcr made them emo. You know? Stuff like that.

But, I still don't understand why people would act on that hate. It's seeing people beat someone because of some stupid label that parents and teens alike don't understand, that pisses me off. You hear parents saying that if a kid even looks like they fit the stereotype that they cut.
I actually had a neighbor come up to my mom 'concerned' about me.
And many teens think this is 'cool'. That if people think they're dark and disturbed that they'll get attention.

Anyway, enough with the ranting, I think you people've gotten the point.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 28th, 2007 at 05:36am
it's was kinda sad, today my best friend that i haven't seen since school got out, well we went to the movies then we went over to my house. it was funny she kept saying how she hates it because poeple hate emo kids, but then she utterly dispises preps and chivas and gangsters, people like that. i tried to piont out to her that maybe if she wasnt' so stereotypical of peoplethen maybe they won't be of her, but it's impossible for her to like someone she considers a prep, i do the same thing, but why do we just discrimenate people because they're not exactly like us, or they wear different clothes. we hate it if we feel people hating us for "being dark" or whatever, but why do just despise them because they wear pink?
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 28th, 2007 at 02:21pm
I think back in the day I was a whole lot more judgemental and fit more a profile that more of my friends do now. I had a grunge phase, a teenie goth phase, an anime nerd phase, and so on, and a deeply embraced these. For example, when I was grunge, all I would listen to was Korn and Nirvana even though I really liked pop, but I thought listening to that music would ruin my image so I rejected it. Likewise, I used to complain all the time about how much I hate "preps", which many people I know still so. Currently I have a bubblegum punk/colorful emo thing going on, and I really have no problem with being labled as such. After my sophomore year I think, I decided I just dislike people, not their stereotype. This doesn't mean im not uncomfortable with people of other stereotypes, but I try my best to reserve judgement. I don't think stereotypes are wrong, but I hate how they are being used for the wrong reasons. I feel terrible for all of the people that have been subjected to crap in their lives based on who people think they are, and im really very proud of myself for never really bothering when someone attacked me.
Foxy_Roxy
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Foxy_Roxy
August 12th, 2007 at 12:39pm
I have been labeled, labeled, and re-labeled, for my dress sense/taste in music e.t.c and i don't know whether i should be insulted or not - there are new " trends" being coined every other day, so who's to say what is a bad label and what is a good one? The whole situation confuses me - some people set out to fall into a category , then try to be different through this category that they are fitting into all at the same time.... it's a paradoxical situation.
annaaloves
Bleeding on the Floor
annaaloves
August 12th, 2007 at 10:25pm
sad clown lady:
its pretty appalling if you ask me, the thought that there are people willing to attack you for the way you dress!

i agree
people should dress how they like without being attacked
for it. This doesn't just go for emo's ,it goes for everyone who's being teased for their so called 'stereotype'
has anyone ever heard of the term 'live and let live' nowadays? Rolling Eyes
mcr_vimto
Killjoy
mcr_vimto
August 13th, 2007 at 12:06am
i often got shouted at and things for been emo and i don't see any point to it. it sickens me to think that people get enjoyment out of shouting or even hearting people just for the way they dress. Tomato
DeadInTheWater
Fabulous Killjoy
DeadInTheWater
August 13th, 2007 at 12:29am
People need to accept, if they are going to dress alternatively and stand out from the crowd , they are going to get singled out by the sheep of the human world we dont have the balls to stand up and be different.

We (people who look different) need to take a stand and rise above this childish-ness.

Frankly i have been bullied in the past and i feel proud that i have the guts to say "hey, this is what i am and what i want to look like, get over it!"

It always ammuses me when people shout out "Emo" and "Goth" to me on the street, it that meant to be an insult?

finally remember everyone who is singled out like this-

"YOU LAUGH AT ME BECAUSE I'M DIFFERENT, I LAUGH BECAUSE YOUR ALL THE SAME"

chin up

x.x.x.x
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
August 13th, 2007 at 01:21am
emo is a trend that is going to die, but i cannot stand when right away someone cuts themselves, they are considered emo because more then half of the teenagers who cut or kill themselves really do have underlining problems that go unnoticed. in a way it is our fault that the kids die, because we are all so stereotypical, hypocritical, and judgemental.

it's not right to attack any kid in a subculture, even if they are a ghetto, a gangster, or a chav. everyone is different in their own way even if they follow a trend.
electro
Salute You in Your Grave
electro
August 13th, 2007 at 02:10pm
The thing is , we don't make fun of them about they way they dress or anything,but what do we get?
It's just stupidity really because they can't really go on through life shouting out insults at people when they're like 30 . The funny thing is when me and my friends are out somewhere we have actually had like 25/30 year old men laughing at the way we dress and shouting out stuff. I mean how rediculous is that ,at that age! annd what do people think they are ggoing to get out of shouting stuff at us? oh,do they think we're just suddenly going to get rid of all of our clothes and start dressing like them? If that's their aim.They're going to fail.
electro
Salute You in Your Grave
electro
August 13th, 2007 at 11:37pm
Okay,now this is the best thing i've ever heard :

"It's not ]what you wear that makes you who you are.It's what's in your head that makes you who you are.

The problem is not many people have much in their head to give" - Chris Crocker.

Think about it.It's true.So if people knew that,a few less people might realise that there is no reason to have a problem with people who dress differently.They could be the nicest person you ever met,but they chose to ignore that and only see THEIR CLOTHES.It's just how messed up things are in this world.CLOTHES,people! It counts for nothing but fabric on your skin.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 14th, 2007 at 12:13am
It's been said, but I think if you're going to dress radically, you're going to have to be prepared to what others might say or think.
Not to say it's right of course, but it goes without saying really.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 14th, 2007 at 12:19am
"emo" as in emo labeling yourself pisses me off.because emo cant be a life style its only a music genre in which you like to listen to!
if you cut its called selfharm if you get depressed it means depression.
all these things are diffrent so why are they combined to make one sub culture.
i hate when im called emo because yes i get depressed but everyone does thats normal. and yeah the emo subculture will eventually die! and when it does i will be happy that self harm and depression is no called emo. you cant change a music genre into a lifestyle
but the main point is. even if you hate emos,goths,gangsters etc etc
dont use violence as an answer to make these kids stop.
they will stop when they realize the mistake!
electro
Salute You in Your Grave
electro
August 14th, 2007 at 12:17pm
I hate being called emo too. I think you're right,why should violence even be part of any of it? It shouldn't. It is pointless.Beating someone up wont change who they are.
.violence.is.never the answer.to.anything.