Don't have an account? Create one!

Violence against kids in subcultures

AuthorMessage
Coraline.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Coraline.
March 2nd, 2010 at 03:26am
^^^^^^^^ shes right.
Everyone stereotypes at one point,but it doesnt mean it's right.
None of us has the right to judge another person,quite often you sterotype people you dont even know.
I still walk down the street and get called a greebo and this has been going on for years,it makes you lash out. We have no right to tell other people what they are,what they should do or how they should live thier life.
It's a form of racism if you think about it.
Everyones fighting against racism,to stamp it out.
Who's fighting to stamp out sterotyping?
Unfortunately no one,racism and sterotyping is just by the looks of things one of those things that will never go away.
People are c***'s.
Theres no other way of putting it.
The matter of fact is you shouldn't have to put a label on anything,just let people be people. Don't like them? tell them.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
March 2nd, 2010 at 05:13am
my_rejected_romance:
Don't like them? tell them.

Or keep it to yourself...?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
March 2nd, 2010 at 06:19am
stereotyping and judging are not the same thing. That's where the line is crossed, that's the point which I think everyone here is missing. Judging someone is where you take that stereotype and go, "Well, I think you're a good/bad person because of it." And saying an emo kid is cool just because they're an emo kid is just as bad as saying they're a bad person for being an emo kid. The emo kid part is not the issue.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
March 2nd, 2010 at 06:22am
also, while few people would blame you for "lashing out," some blame does in fact rest on you for allowing yourself to be ignited by namecalling. Beyond school, though there is less of it, that sort of response is less tolerated.
Coraline.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Coraline.
March 2nd, 2010 at 08:03am
Lovesick Melody.:
my_rejected_romance:
Don't like them? tell them.

Or keep it to yourself...?

But then you'd just moan about them,quite frankly i think if anyone had an issue with you for an example you'd want to know.

The thing is though,judging comes with sterotyping.
If you say someones emo,you automatically decide they moan bla bla bla,that might not even be the case.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
March 2nd, 2010 at 05:34pm
^.... Aaaand that is more generalizing, not judging.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
March 2nd, 2010 at 11:28pm
my_rejected_romance:
^^^^^^^^ shes right.
Everyone stereotypes at one point,but it doesnt mean it's right.
None of us has the right to judge another person,quite often you sterotype people you dont even know.
You guys are right, everyone does stereotype, its natural for people to do. Before I wasn't saying that people should stop stereotyping altogether, because that would be unrealistic. What I meant was that people need to draw a line with it, because sometimes it gets out of hand.

It becomes a problem when you are just so blinded by the label you've put on someone else that it's all you see about them, and you can't get past it. I mean people label eachother all the time, but once they do, they need to stop and think about it, so they don't let it define that person. Sometimes once you put a label on someone, it just turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy, where you only see all of the traits you expected to see because of the stereotype, which only reinforces the stereotype.

I've heard stories about some of the "emo wars" where these guys saw a girl wearing skinny jeans and a black tee, screamed "An emo! Get her!" and literally attacked her, just for that. (I know this thread isn't just about violence against emos, but it;s what I've heard the most about)

Now when someone attacks somebody just because they're dressed a certain way, its pretty clear that the labeling has gotten out of control. Obviously they just saw what she was wearing and just assumed she was annoying, whiny, or whatever other thing they associate with emo, and attacked her. Even if she was any of those things, that's no reason to attack someone.

People fail to see that just because someone fits a few traits of a stereotype, not all of the other traits are necesarily there. Just because a person dresses a certain way doesn't mean they have to act a certain way, people generalize with personalities way too much.
iluvmybfclay
Banned
iluvmybfclay
January 1st, 2011 at 10:18pm
lol wtf is up w/ dis topic?

lmfao its soooo emo
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 1st, 2011 at 11:18pm
iluvmybfclay:

lmfao its soooo emo

If you don't have anything to contribute then don't post.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
January 2nd, 2011 at 06:24am
Coraline.:
But then you'd just moan about them,quite frankly i think if anyone had an issue with you for an example you'd want to know.

The thing is though,judging comes with sterotyping.
If you say someones emo,you automatically decide they moan bla bla bla,that might not even be the case.
You make an interest point that I don't necessarily agree with. Personally, if someone has a problem with me and I have to see that person often, I'd rather not know. There are plenty of people that I don't really like however, I wouldn't tell them this as often I have to see them on a daily basis and it would just make working, and often going out as a group, awkward. Ok, I may not be best of friends with them and won't act in such a way however, I will be civil rather than tell them straight out that I don't like them. It's just a case of manners and being mature enough to get over differences. Everyone has a right to opinion but the way you voice that is something you have to be responsible with.

I also don't believe that stereotypes are as terrible a thing as you make them out to be. Yes, we are all individuals and therefore have a right to be seen in such a way but, at the same time, I can understand why you would stereotype someone. It is easier in terms of definition of a group as well as describing someone's personality. For example, I would not expect someone to describe my personality using every character trait if a generalised term could be used. Stereotyping, providing your sensible, doesn't have to lead to more than anything than a definition, it's how you act on it.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
January 3rd, 2011 at 05:27pm
merlin.:
stereotyping and judging are not the same thing. That's where the line is crossed, that's the point which I think everyone here is missing. Judging someone is where you take that stereotype and go, "Well, I think you're a good/bad person because of it." And saying an emo kid is cool just because they're an emo kid is just as bad as saying they're a bad person for being an emo kid. The emo kid part is not the issue.
I didn't see your post Steff so now mine sounds like a sort of repeat but this was pretty much what I was attempting to convey.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
January 4th, 2011 at 01:10am
doctor.:
I also don't believe that stereotypes are as terrible a thing as you make them out to be. Yes, we are all individuals and therefore have a right to be seen in such a way but, at the same time, I can understand why you would stereotype someone. It is easier in terms of definition of a group as well as describing someone's personality. For example, I would not expect someone to describe my personality using every character trait if a generalised term could be used. Stereotyping, providing your sensible, doesn't have to lead to more than anything than a definition, it's how you act on it.
The reason why stereotypes are often offensive is because people seldom use them in that strictly 'definition of a group' way that you're talking about. I daresay there's probably not a stereotype out there that doesn't have negative connotations. It would be fine if everyone used stereotypes to purely define people and logically categorise, but that's not what happens in reality. In reality, stereotypes can be really harmful, prejudiced, racist, sexist, agist, ableist, homophobic, etc.
em's lil baby girl
Banned
em's lil baby girl
January 22nd, 2011 at 08:34pm
iluvmybfclay:

lmfao its soooo emo

Hahaha, my banned sister Ha Ha lol I got a shout out in her sig. Shocked

Anyway, I dont think anyone should be stereotyoping, its mean, and its sort of lik racism if you think about it, becuz its built on the same fondations. So we should never judge people, but get to know them, and then make up our minds. Yes
CinemaSpeaks
Bleeding on the Floor
CinemaSpeaks
February 17th, 2011 at 11:29am
This remind sme of the anit-emo violence that happened in Mexico. Punks and rockabillies were beating up other sjust for dressing differently and liking different music.

That's just hypocritical! Punks and emos are incredibly similar in that they have a defined sense of dress and music associated with them. I hate it how everyone thinks that emos self harm and pretend to be depressed. This is just a widely believed media false stereotype designed to further demonize the youth of today.

I like ot think of myself as being "emo" ... or at least how I believe emo to be. I'm happy with my life yet some people have accused meof being a suicidal devil worshiper. I am not.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
March 2nd, 2011 at 04:59am
that's not cool. humans all have the same mushy feelings and emotional needs, and their different backgrounds shape them. So many people are too retarded to think of this and respect others.