Don't have an account? Create one!

Violence against kids in subcultures

AuthorMessage
Benniks
Jazz Hands
Benniks
November 14th, 2008 at 02:06pm
I think the problem is ignorant people, people that can't see anything from someone elses point of view, or accept anyone that is not exactly like them.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
November 15th, 2008 at 02:17pm
Benniks:
I think the problem is ignorant people, people that can't see anything from someone elses point of view, or accept anyone that is not exactly like them.
I agree, we accept what we understand or people like us, and the others we just simply dont.

But heres the thing, is it considered hypocritical? I mean for me and one girl who use to be my best friend, we would only really feel comfertable around kids who were like us, you know into rock or not even that, just kinda different and stuff. But then we would look at like all the gangsters at our school and role our eyes and say how stupid they were and etc.

alot of people I know complain about how "emos" and "scenes" and "goths" are treated, then I know alot of other people who complain about them. There was a new girl at my school and she seemed pretty cool so I invited her to spend the night at my house, the whole night she was complaining and going on and on about how much she hates "emos" and "scenes" and like she was just being very bitchy about like Gerard Way and Haylle Williams because they were "emo" and "scene". Now ussually I don't mind, but it just got to the piont where she was going on and on about how unique she was now-a-days cause she was the only real "rocker" then just ragging none stop on all these other people for being "emo" and "scene" I just wanted her to go after a little while. It kinda opened my eyes because she was claiming to be so open-minded yet she was just condemning all these people who she didn't know, just based on how they look
Patrick Martin Stump
Motor Baby
Patrick Martin Stump
November 27th, 2008 at 09:44am
I think it's disgusting. Being beaten up and insulted because of what you wear and listen to is fucking awful. I hate stereotypes altogether. Since when did wearing black skinny jeans and a hoodie make you 'emo'? And listening to rap and wearing a cap make you 'chav'? But where I come from, it's always these 'chavs' battering the shit out of these 'emos'. It's never the other way around. I never stereotype and I never judge someone on looks and music taste. I think it's time other people did the same. I'm sick of being judged on what I like to wear and listen to.

I also find it totally pathetic that I can't walk down the road without having some silly twat shout a name at me. And with all this violence in the world, debates about sexuality, war, skin colour and whatever else, there really is no need to judge people on what they like.

// RANT.
demolitionloversmway
Thinking Happy Thoughts
demolitionloversmway
November 27th, 2008 at 11:21am
i think violance toward anybody is wrong
and its really sad because everyone tells you to be who you want to be but so many kids in school and stuff dont respect if your different then the "nrom" or
"popular group"
whatever you wana call it
and people can be soo stereotypical
like with the emo thing
just because i dress in black skinnies and band t shirt my homeroom thinks that all i do in my spare time is cry and go to a therapist and hate life
which is the complete opposite of me
and i hate how kids make fun of others ones just because of the fact that their different and they say really cruel things
i dont understand how they can do that and not feel guilty with themselves
its really really sad in my mind
bruised and scarred
Killjoy
bruised and scarred
December 26th, 2008 at 06:11pm
demolitionloversmway:
i think violance toward anybody is wrong
and its really sad because everyone tells you to be who you want to be but so many kids in school and stuff dont respect if your different then the "nrom" or
"popular group"
whatever you wana call it
and people can be soo stereotypical
like with the emo thing
just because i dress in black skinnies and band t shirt my homeroom thinks that all i do in my spare time is cry and go to a therapist and hate life
which is the complete opposite of me
and i hate how kids make fun of others ones just because of the fact that their different and they say really cruel things
i dont understand how they can do that and not feel guilty with themselves
its really really sad in my mind
my school is weird
like we have emos and preps and such but they arent like exclusive or anything
like i hang out with people that you would call emo but i dress like a prep and my other friends that are preppy are friends with them too
mostly its the guy preps that are cruel to the emos
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 2nd, 2009 at 08:56am

I think we've established that the violence is wrong.

But how can we stop it? It's one of those hard things to fight for, because no matter how hard you try, you can never get everyone to become open-minded.

So how do you think we can prevent this? What ideas do you have?
loki.
Bulletproof Heart
loki.
January 2nd, 2009 at 09:29am
In my opinion, openmindedness is the first step.
Let people live how they want; it's nobody's place to tell someone else what they can and can't do with their life.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 2nd, 2009 at 06:42pm

I agree, being open minded is probably the best solution. What I mean is, how can we get people to be more open minded?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
January 3rd, 2009 at 08:48pm
Lovesick Melody.:

I agree, being open minded is probably the best solution. What I mean is, how can we get people to be more open minded?
there will never be complete open-mindedness with everybody. There will always be some intolerence, but maybe we should try and defie the "emo" stereo type since I'm guessing thats what most people are labeled as on this site.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
January 4th, 2009 at 10:24am
In school people don't really notice me unless I take the first step and talk to them. I'm not emo, I'm a mixture of goth and metal.
A friend of mine gets beaten up for being bi-sexual, by other girls, I think it's unfair.
Why can't people just give others a chance to prove themselves??
shrinking-violet
Killjoy
shrinking-violet
December 30th, 2009 at 03:01am
Nothing really violent has ever happened to me the worst thats ever happened was that someone called me an emo which im not,I think its ridiculous that teenagers spend so much time bashing each other based on cliques and subcultures when theres a thousand other more important things to focus their attention on.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
January 1st, 2010 at 06:43pm
Lovesick Melody.:

Well I think if people could just look beyond how a person dresses, the music they listen to, how they talk etc, and actually try to get to know someone different from themselves, it would make things a lot easier.

But that's the problem, people judge and then they don't bother to look past the label, and that's all they see. It's really a shame, because there aren't really that many people who totally fulfill the prep, emo, or whatever stereotype you can think of. I mean sure, on the outside they may, but for the most part they really don't.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 1st, 2010 at 08:52pm
This might be just me, but it seems kind of as if the UK struggles with this issue far more than the US. Am I off-base? It's interesting.
Dana Way
Banned
Dana Way
January 2nd, 2010 at 12:34pm
I think it's disgusting. My school never had this problem. All the subcultures were friends and it's still going on strong.
Wandering_Soul
Jazz Hands
Wandering_Soul
January 4th, 2010 at 05:09pm
People form into these cliques because humans, as a herd species, instinctively meld and bond with those around us and are similar to us. These cliques change and evolve, people become more and more obsessed with them, then they clash and these are the results. The violence will never go away. It is in human nature to form these groups, and to rebel against others.

It's a horrible thing, and people's attention should really be focused on other important issues, but it is beyond most of our control. Our sub-conscious makes snap decisions in fractions of a second about everything. Unfortunately, we do this with people. They get filed into a stereotype in our brain, based on what we see and hear. This has nothing to do with the actual person, but it happens regardless. The only way around it is to talk with the other person, and overcome the stereotype already in place.

Frankly, it's a horrible thing but it is something that I don't see ever ending anytime soon. I try to understand people before I judge them, and will always give a person a chance. It's the only way to fight this problem, but not everyone is going to do it.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
January 24th, 2010 at 12:48pm
merlin.:
This might be just me, but it seems kind of as if the UK struggles with this issue far more than the US. Am I off-base? It's interesting.
In my experience living in the US that's very true. It could be because I live in a really rural area (even though my school does have a lot of clearly defined social groups or cliques or whatever) but there's never really any kind of violence. People just hang out with who they want to hang out with. There are still stereotypes and teasing and such, but never anything out of control.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
January 30th, 2010 at 09:41am
an alright scene:

Well I think if people could just look beyond how a person dresses, the music they listen to, how they talk etc, and actually try to get to know someone different from themselves, it would make things a lot easier.

But that's the problem, people judge and then they don't bother to look past the label, and that's all they see. It's really a shame, because there aren't really that many people who totally fulfill the prep, emo, or whatever stereotype you can think of. I mean sure, on the outside they may, but for the most part they really don't.

I agree about looking past a persons appearance. But this won't create open-mindedness.
Some people look at you and form a first impression, then stick to that first impression and not bother to stay around long enough to get to know the person. I'll openly admit to sticking to a first impression after I've met someone and not budge on my opinion. It took years to find out that the person was actually extremely lovely and not like what I had in mind at all.
But teenagers are really hard to try create acceptance and open-mindedness when they'e unwilling. I've heard the most ridiculous excuses for people who refuse to accept things such as people who are gay. Most teenagers are too immature or unwilling to change to accept things outside what they think is right.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
February 12th, 2010 at 09:40pm
People can discriminate you for anything, the colour of your eyes, your hair, what you eat, your heritage, all of what makes a person an individual. Its a sad fact that there's people in this world that cannot see pass the exterior of a person and judge only by what they see and then make assumptions. I was called emo once from a bunch of boys just because I had short black hair, but thats stupid considering black is my natural hair colour and I like my hair short. They assumed I was emo just by looking at my hair. Pathetic, I know.

The thing is, stupid people want to see other people as one subculture as opposed as an individual. They want to label and pick on others because of their own insecurity on how they see other people. The problem is, they can't see it in themselves.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
February 28th, 2010 at 08:32pm
Lovesick Melody.:
I agree about looking past a persons appearance. But this won't create open-mindedness.
Some people look at you and form a first impression, then stick to that first impression and not bother to stay around long enough to get to know the person. I'll openly admit to sticking to a first impression after I've met someone and not budge on my opinion. It took years to find out that the person was actually extremely lovely and not like what I had in mind at all.
But teenagers are really hard to try create acceptance and open-mindedness when they'e unwilling. I've heard the most ridiculous excuses for people who refuse to accept things such as people who are gay. Most teenagers are too immature or unwilling to change to accept things outside what they think is right.
[/color]

If people actually did look past others' appearances, then it would actually create more open-mindedness.
If someone were to meet somebody and immediately labeled them, then it doesn't accomplish anything. On the other hand, if people actually tried a little harder to look past stereotypes and get to know a person, then they may realize that that person is actually really nice or cool or whatever.

So what I'm saying is, once someone realizes that there actually isn't any truth to a certain stereotype, people can start being more open-minded about different people they meet, because they'll hopefully learn not to judge so quickly.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
March 1st, 2010 at 12:40pm
an alright scene:

So what I'm saying is, once someone realizes that there actually isn't any truth to a certain stereotype, people can start being more open-minded about different people they meet, because they'll hopefully learn not to judge so quickly.

Stereotypes are there for a reason. Calling someone an "emo kid" is basically calling to attention the complain-y, whiny, attention-seeking ways of many kids that "fall" into that category. Sure, they might be a really cool person, but if we'd rather not look past the annoying traits, why should we have to? Wink

You're right - there are exceptions to every rule of course. Just because someone wears black skinny jeans and listens to MCR doesn't mean they are whiny and want attention. But the stereotype CAME FROM the fact that a great deal of people who choose that style also choose that mindset. It didn't come out of nowhere. It just didn't. it's human nature.

No reason to attack anyone of course...we can all agree that's uncalled for. But asking people not to stereotype is like asking them to change their very nature. I can pretty much guarantee that many of the people in this thread who are arguing against stereotypes actually DO stereotype someone or something at some point.

Also, if you ever in your life have to deal with any sort of marketing or advertising, prepare to be offended, because that aspect of business is FULL of the most ridiculous profiling and stereotyping in the whole of society. But it works. Why? Because stereotypes have truth.