Don't have an account? Create one!

Have They Lost Their Values?

AuthorMessage
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 24th, 2007 at 10:14am
oh man, the sparks will fly.

well, i don't really see any change in morals. sure, the two concert banter things are different, and very contrasting. but the first time i ever went to see mcr, (before the famous "spit in their face" speech), gerard asked many times if the audience wanted to fuck him and the band. And the whole "lemme hear you fuck yourselves" thing isn't just completely random. I mean, how many times has gerard faked an orgasm going into that song? Almost every time since projekt. And when he pretended to feel himself up, it didn't seem any different from the time many years ago in a small club where i watched him slap his ass in front of a crowd. The guy is onstage, he's going to do different things.

As for the whole keep yourself true in your art, he doesn't change his answer. These are very deep insightful questions the reporter is asking and often one has to prepare an answer for it to be properly understood. Gerard probably has it straight in his mind, but i'm willing to bet things are lost and jumbled on the way out to words. This isn't a heralding sign of the descent of mcr's morals, i think it's just a question he didn't answer well. he's made mistakes before, and this is just another one.

maybe this is jumping the gun, maybe not.

also, blindfolds aside said: "And I know it's been said multiple times, but people need to stop discussing their private lives.
I think if you really love this band, you should at least respect their wishes."

and i agree.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 24th, 2007 at 10:23am
drunken elevator.:
I feel a seperation between MCR fans, and honestly, I find it very upsetting. Because I don't fully understand why it's happening.
Sometimes, I actually feel like it's all because Gerard is married. I arent going to lie. I think people get jealous. And it's a shame, since when were their personal lives anything to do with us? Also I think the seperation is down to just plain dissagreement, then serious argument. And all that about Gerard being back on drugs/drink, that confused the hell out of me. I just couldnt understand why we were making such bad accusations towards a man who has supposedly affected us so much. Where had all the faith gone? And what happened to the music being important?
I don't think they have lost their value in any way. I still love them just as much as I did when I first heard of them.
I feel like I'm waffling now. But meh, it's just my opinion.
All they wanna do is put on an awesome show, which they always manage to do. So I don't see the problem.
They're happy, I don't see why we cant be, too.
Don't kill me. XD

hmm, there are quite an amount of fans who never did join the accuse-the-sober dude-bandwagon.

well, anyways, i personally don't think him being married is causing anything. the people who allow themselves to be hurt by the idea of a man being happily married are still growing up. they've got to have time to realize that it may be the best thing he's ever experienced. Jealousy doesn't get anyone anywhere, but that's a thing people have to personally realize. Me, myself, I never really cared that Gerard got married. In fact, it was a few days before I told any of my friends, mainly because it wasn't in the top of my mind. I was more excited when mama came out as a single in the UK. To me, Gerard being married is just going to add a bit of stability in the man, a little more happiness, and more songs about love possibly.

I think the real divide is between people who worry about the personal life of the band and the people who care about the music. Yes, there is both, and yes, it is pretty much impossible to be devoted to one without knowing the other. Unless you're a fake fan, but that's another story. Yet I think it's a thing we have to practice, slowly shifting the spotlight from the speeches to the solos, from the marriages to the messages and from the accusing to the accepting. It's a slow process, but i have faith that the mcrmy is going to be one strong fanbase again.
sparklinggrey
Jazz Hands
sparklinggrey
November 24th, 2007 at 10:33am
i think they became internationally well known rockstars. so what? i don't think they lost their values. they just became... rockstarish. uh, yeah. ignore.
Goodnight Nurse
Salute You in Your Grave
Goodnight Nurse
November 24th, 2007 at 11:46am
They haven't exactly lost their values. I don't thing that this is worth stressing out over. We just need to accept that they will do this stuff. They have done this sort of stuff since the start but now that they are an international success it has just been shown more as there is more media around them.
starktreks
Devil's Got Your Number
starktreks
November 24th, 2007 at 11:50am
I agree with Faye Merci.
And nah I didn't mean for that to come across like I was saying that's what we were all thinking. Because we're not. =)
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
November 24th, 2007 at 03:54pm
blindfolds aside.:
Fans know My Chem's message.
If they kept repeating it from 2003/2004 until now, then it would lose it's meaning.
It'd just be one of those things that have to be said, because it's expected.
If you get comfort out of My Chemical Romance, then that's great. But it's not their responsibility to keep fans happy.

I think Gerard knew it was time to stop repeating the message.
It wasn't too late, or too soon. If he would have carried it on, it would've gotten preachy.
It had a big impact, it's still touching fans, and that's what it's meant to do.
I've seen people complain about how they can't connect to him anymore, because he's married and happy.
And to be quite honest, that's pretty fucking selfish of anyone to say.
Gerard shouldn't have to be unhappy so that fans can connect to him.

Have they lost their values?
I don't think there's a certain answer for this. There could be a debate that could last days, and people wouldn't settle on one answer.

What Gerard does on stage now gets a rise out of people, whether it be good or bad. But it still seems to get people pumped up.
I'm not defending what he does, and I'm not ripping on him for it. I'm almost neutral, I guess.
I just don't want to say I'm defending him.

And I know it's been said multiple times, but people need to stop discussing their private lives.
I think if you really love this band, you should at least respect their wishes.

I really agree with this post, I think it made a few very very good points. I put the parts in bold, that I agree with 100% *claps*

xxx
selfish machine.
Always Born a Crime
selfish machine.
November 24th, 2007 at 04:43pm
Well, this whole website THRIVES on talking about their personal lives.
If people just stopped talking about their private lives, INO would be long gone.
LostMyFear_ofFalling
Joining The Black Parade
LostMyFear_ofFalling
November 24th, 2007 at 04:49pm
That's deifnitely true. That is kind of the point of INO. People don't have to bash their personal lives though and say terrible things about it and how they've changed and they're so different now. Isn't this supposed to be a website for people who like MCR?

And about what blindfolds said... I totally agree with you. If he had continued with his message during concerts it would have gotten preachy. I don't think they've really changed as far as what they believe in and their morals. I just think they've grown up. Maybe the people that are just realizing this aren't ready for it and want the angsty teenager MCR back. But wake up, they're kind of long gone.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
November 24th, 2007 at 05:41pm
I think if he did repeat everything on stage on every single tour date, there would be a thread asking people if they thought he really meant what he said or if he was only saying it becuase he felt he had to. People know the messages, and he knows people know the messages, so why tell everyone again?
As for their music changing slightly, wouldn't it be extrememly boring if they produced album after album that all sounded the same?
And their personal lives, just be happy for them! When he was depressed and suicidal, people wanted him to be happy, now that he's happy, people want him to be depressed just so they can relate to him. Leave the guy alone. Let him be happy.
MCR still connect with and help people. As well as helping him, getting married and being happy can also be helping other people. Other people who are feeling depressed can look at him and know that it's possible to get through.
So no, I don't think they have lost their values at all.
And hopefully all that made some kind of sense. I have real trouble putting what i think into words =/
the sharpest lives.
Shotgun Sinner
the sharpest lives.
November 24th, 2007 at 05:58pm
I'm agreeing with everyone. You all have good points.

I'm still standing by what I said on the last page.

Still. I think MCR should be able to break away from the preaching on stage. I think the fans understand that they still have an enternal love for us and want us to be safe. Gerard said that he would rather talk about more important things in the songs than giving speeches at shows every night. The songs on TBP are very emotional and all have deep meanings. The songs speak for themselves.

Personally, I do hope they go back to some preeches. They are such an inspirational band, I would love to here them discuss some issues in between songs like they used to do. If they don't, it doesn't matter much. I will still love them, no more, no less.
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
November 24th, 2007 at 09:00pm
blindfolds aside.:
Fans know My Chem's message.
If they kept repeating it from 2003/2004 until now, then it would lose it's meaning.
It'd just be one of those things that have to be said, because it's expected.
If you get comfort out of My Chemical Romance, then that's great. But it's not their responsibility to keep fans happy.

I think Gerard knew it was time to stop repeating the message.
It wasn't too late, or too soon. If he would have carried it on, it would've gotten preachy.
It had a big impact, it's still touching fans, and that's what it's meant to do.
I've seen people complain about how they can't connect to him anymore, because he's married and happy.
And to be quite honest, that's pretty fucking selfish of anyone to say.

And I know it's been said multiple times, but people need to stop discussing their private lives.
I think if you really love this band, you should at least respect their wishes.

Took the words right out of my mouth, particularly about how the message would have gotten preachy if he repeated it every single show. People know what My Chem. stand for and it still gives so many people inspiration and hope. This, I think, is the important thing.

As for them losing their values... I'd have to say no. To be honest, the whole "I wanna hear you fuck yourselves" thing doesn't really bother me. It's Gerard, on stage. It's a rock show - trust me, there are a lot worse things that go on at rock shows. Not only that, but it was Prison that they were going into, which is song that's really all about sex and rape. It takes the piss out of prison rape. I think Gerard just got caught up in the moment and was trying to get the crowd going. I don't really see how it's any different than what he's always done. *shrugs* But that's just me.

I also agree with Faye Merci - those are deep questions, and it was probably hard for Gee to get into words what he meant to say. I don't think he really got what he wanted to say out until the "not wanting to explain" part. That's basically what he said, was that they wanted to have the songs speak for themselves and didn't want to have to explain them anymore. He also said that "I think, absolutely, I would much rather see an extremely heartfelt performance than a performance with extremely heartfelt messages jammed in between the songs." So I think that's really what he wanted to get across.

songs of victory.:
"Guess the 'message' had a short shelf life. Maybe it's much easier to be just another rock band. I'm done."

I think you seem to have gotten something confused - Gerard wasn't the one who said that. Those are words straight from an 'Anonymous Poster' that Veritavenom cites in her little article whatever you want to call it. Just wanted to clear that up. ^_^
the sharpest lives.
Shotgun Sinner
the sharpest lives.
November 24th, 2007 at 11:16pm
As I said in the 'After all the chat' thread: I think the fans have lost their values, not MCR. When things look bad for MCR, we need to stick together, not push away. That's the wrong and easy way out of it. When things look bad, we don't make it worse by creating conflict between people who love and care about the same thing as you. It saddens me to see this happening. I love MCR and will stand by them through anything and everything. I just wish I could see more fans doing that as well.
jadepansy459
Thinking Happy Thoughts
jadepansy459
November 25th, 2007 at 08:53pm
insert name here.:
As I said in the 'After all the chat' thread: I think the fans have lost their values, not MCR. When things look bad for MCR, we need to stick together, not push away. That's the wrong and easy way out of it. When things look bad, we don't make it worse by creating conflict between people who love and care about the same thing as you. It saddens me to see this happening. I love MCR and will stand by them through anything and everything. I just wish I could see more fans doing that as well.

amen.
i agree with you completely. we need to stick together as MCR fans... Not fight over 'Gee is changing' its bullshit.
the sharpest lives.
Shotgun Sinner
the sharpest lives.
November 26th, 2007 at 01:04am
Thanx for agreeing, jadepansy459.

And, yes, we should stick together as MCR fans. That's what MCR has been teaching us for so many years.

I agree 110% with blindfolds aside:

We did connect with Gerard when he was depressed because some of us were depressed. Gerard shouldn't have to be unhappy just so fans can connect with him. We should be happy that he has met someone who makes him happy. The bands happiness is what matters.

I do want to thank the creator of this thread. There are a lot of great points being made and I think it's great that we can all discuss this maturely and openely.
LostMyFear_ofFalling
Joining The Black Parade
LostMyFear_ofFalling
November 26th, 2007 at 04:59am
Yeah, at first I kind of thought this thread was pointless. But now, it's actually started some great discussion.
But yeah, hands down, people need to stick together as fans and be happy for the guys. Just because Gerard is happy doesn't mean that it's impossible to connect with him anymore. I think the point is to connect with him through the music and his amazing lyrics, as opposed to connecting with him through his personal life. He's always drawn off all the hard stuff that he's been through in his life. I still think he's going to draw off his life experiences and keep producing amazing songs with great lyrics that people can connect with even if he is happily married. I don't think that element of darkness and the relation that people get out of MCR's music is ever going to go away. And like Gerard said, the day the music stops being meaningful is the day they walk away. So right now, I still think they're staying true to themselves and that we as fans need to stay true MCR fans and stand by them. Smile
the sharpest lives.
Shotgun Sinner
the sharpest lives.
November 26th, 2007 at 06:30am
^ Perfectly said. I agree all the way.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
December 5th, 2007 at 03:08am
Fucking Deathwish.:
[

We did connect with Gerard when he was depressed because some of us were depressed. Gerard shouldn't have to be unhappy just so fans can connect with him. We should be happy that he has met someone who makes him happy. The bands happiness is what matters.

I do want to thank the creator of this thread. There are a lot of great points being made and I think it's great that we can all discuss this maturely and openely.

Thank you. :]

And yes I do agree, although people did connect with Gerard on a personal level while he was depressed it doesn't mean that it should be the only way they should be connected.
Sure many people did connect because they felt they were in the same position but now that Gerard is out of that he could be an example rather then another depressed person.
He got out of it and is now happily married, showing people that they can get through it.

annaaloves
Bleeding on the Floor
annaaloves
December 5th, 2007 at 04:39pm
I agree with the above post. Changed or not gee is still an excellent role model, he has managed to pull through the crap he has been through and get his life back on track, if thats not an example of a good role model then i don't know what is.
and as for the message in mcrs music being lost is not true, even if they have given up on that message, they still inspired thousands of people and changed their lives for the better, so in a way that message in their music will never be lost.
The fans need to stick together and start supporting the guys more.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 6th, 2007 at 11:34am
You know, when I clicked in here I eyerolled, because I was expecting more G-bashing, but I was pleasantly surprised! I love the answers I just read on this page - you all done me proud.

My response to the question "Have they lost their values" would be, simply:

Do you see the dudes driving around in Ferraris, wearing flashy jewelry or buying up estates in gated communities? Is there a sudden appearance of debauchery backstage? Have there been any personal injury lawsuits filed against any of the bandmembers? Any DWI's? No? Then stop worrying; nothing's changed - Gerard onstage is, and always has been, just that. The separation we are all feeling between band and ourselves has to do simply with magnitude - there are simply too many of us, and not all of us are sane. You'll notice that those of us who have had the - for the moment - rare opportunity to check the dudes out at smaller venues have had lovely stories to tell.
Demonic.
Motor Baby
Demonic.
December 7th, 2007 at 08:26pm
1. Gerard never blatantly said the message is dead. You're putting Veritavenom's words in his mouth.

2. You're taking the TasteItTV interview completely out of context. What Gerard meant was "it sucks when artists aren't genuine, but it doesn't make the art less beautiful, just maybe less truthful." You can prove anything correct by overanalyzing. You could accuse Bob of raping turtles if you wanted.

3. MCR have always had stage antics like that. All of a sudden, it's an outrage. Big news: you're three years late.

4. Parents know what goes on at rock shows. Thirteen year-olds won't be there in the first place if they don't have parental permission. And thirteen year-olds know what "fucking themselves" means and "what it sounds like".

5. Women generally don't marry sexist assholes.

6. If you don't like MCR anymore, what are you doing on this website?