Have They Lost Their Values?

AuthorMessage
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
December 7th, 2007 at 08:31pm
Page Claim. Named- Cookies For All! Dance

Demonic.:
2. You're taking the TasteItTV interview completely out of context. What Gerard meant was "it sucks when artists aren't genuine, but it doesn't make the art less beautiful, just maybe less truthful." You can prove anything correct by overanalyzing. You could accuse Bob of raping turtles if you wanted.

6. If you don't like MCR anymore, what are you doing on this website?

About the Interview. I Love it, when he mentions Caravaggio, I think he makes a very very good point. It is easy to read into a couple of words. Its the same as adding 2+2 and getting 5. It's easily done.

I just wanted to say to the person I quoted.... Breathe... Smile I could feel the anger seeping out of your post. Lol. Would you like a cookie?

xxx
Demonic.
Motor Baby
Demonic.
December 7th, 2007 at 09:46pm
I like cookies. Very Happy [/spam]

Yes, I suppose I am a bit angry, but not in that unrestrained way that starts flame wars. Rolling Eyes
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
December 10th, 2007 at 02:13am
Demonic.:

6. If you don't like MCR anymore, what are you doing on this website?

Directed at me?
Um, I am still a My Chem fan. I'm just trying to make people think.... This is purely for discussion.... 0.o

Just to make this not spam -

I think that people sometimes do overanalyze things they do.
And to be honest I think it is unfair on their end since they are not perfect.
Yes the band does somethings that can be questioned, but they are a rock band.
And a lot better then some others that are around.
We should look up to them, not beat them up everytime something happens.
Jesserz
Salute You in Your Grave
Jesserz
December 10th, 2007 at 06:05am
DIE! DIE! DIE!:
I think the band members have changed as per their prioritys. I don't think they are as fan focused, and I don't think they make much of an effort to me. That's about it through. Im just not very impressed with them anymore, though i know that's a VERY unpopular opinion and you tend to get flamed on this board for it. I think there are many people out there that like to think that the boys of MCR can do no wrong, or try to justify their wrong.

screwing up is human too

I honestly agree.
I started a thread about the fact that no one in NZ got a photo with any of them when they played here last thursday. & the fact that they're failing to make an effort with nz fans & stuff.

But I totally agree with your point.

& I also personally think that there SHOULD be age restrictions on MCR shows because i dont even THINK their music is suited for anyone under the age or 13-14. But that's just my opinion.
Jesserz
Salute You in Your Grave
Jesserz
December 10th, 2007 at 06:11am
drunken elevator.:
I feel a seperation between MCR fans, and honestly, I find it very upsetting.

I'm like. not so in love with My Chem as I was earlier in the year.

I partly blame this site.
I joined because i had an interest in their personal lives, which is dumb & thank god they didn't bring back PLOTB. But after reading so many opinions on the guys, there's no denying that it'll effect you. & some people on here have fed me shit & i've taken it.

plus i get put off by some fans.

You can't just say to me "it's all about the music" because you'd be kidding yourself & you'd know it.

/end of tangent Neutral
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 10th, 2007 at 07:26am
Okay, I have lurked this thread but never felt like posting until now. I am going to preface this by saying that the "you" used here is the royal "you" -- i.e., it is not directed towards any one person or poster, I'm using it to describe the public at large, I am not directing anything towards anyone in particular. So, onwards:

I too am a newer fan, since May of this year. Since May, my life has changed by being exposed to this band that affects me in a way that I haven't been since high school. They came along at a rough time, helped me through it, and continue to provide me with some of the most amazing music I have ever heard. I've seen them play live and it was practically a religious experience for me. I have never met any of the band members personally, so I can't say that I have any "inside" info, but even if I did, I wouldn't blast it in a public forum.

However: I joined this site in hopes of finding fans 1) around my same age (they *are* out there!) and 2) to find people who see this band as I do. I have a select few threads that I read/post in on this site. One is because of time, the other is because I just don't want to be exposed to all the negativity. I have a few trusted news/magazine sites I check for updates. The rest of it is conjecture and theory that is posted by people who are in no way shape or form *involved* with the band, no matter how badly they may want to be. I may be "out of the loop" but I'm also only exposed to the positive side of the fandom, and I'm okay with that. If someone wants to read and be affected by the blog of someone else, that's their choice. But unless it's from one of the guys, in their own words in an interview, it's that other person's *interpretation* of events with their personal *spin* on the occurence, and far too many people jump to the negative because it's easier to jump onto a huge bandwagon than it is to march to your own drummer.

I wear the band's shirts/hoodie from time to time in highly public areas, such as Walt Disney World, comic book conventions around the US, or some of the gi-normous malls we have here in FL. I never get anything but positive feedback, hugs, comments, and so on. My poor husband is so tired of stopping to listen to me geek out over the band with people I've never met. It's kind-of my way of saying, hey, I'm okay, you're okay. This band brings people together and I think that's awesome. Everyone has a story. And every person's story is as important as the other. And they all weave together in a giant web of support for this band who is constantly giving their fans every bit of themselves.

Okay, so they didn't do signings or go out a lot their last few concerts, I've been hearing that around lately. They are where right now? Somewhere around China/Malaysia? After being in England/UK into Australia/NZ last week? I get jet lag just thinking about it. They are human beings. Have you looked at their tour schedule? Flying halfway around the world is hard. They get off of a God-only-knows how many hour flight, are greeted at the airport by screaming girls and hounded from the time they step off the plane to the time they get into their cars. I don't know about you but I don't want to do anything when I get off a plane besides pee and stretch and adjust to the time wherever I am. Their biological clocks are half a world off from where they are. The one, maybe two days that they have between shows is purely travel time. They are probably exhausted, sick, and I don't know about any of you but the longest week of work is the week right before a nice vacation -- but I am willing to bet that they still gave a great show at each of those locations. Give them a break and put yourself in their shoes before using it as an excuse to rip them apart.

Gerard didn't come out after my concert either (PR Tampa 8/11 -- and to be fair, I think only Frankie was spotted after the show, and he didn't sign either). Was I upset? Not in the slightest. The band gave an incredible show that was so much like every show they do: raunchy, pushing boundaries, "Frerard" action, Gerard grabbing himself and saying fuck a lot. I chalked him not coming out afterwards up to him being tired and I still went home more exhilarated than I have ever been in my life. I found out the next day that he had broken a rib during the show -- BUT CONTINUED TO SING AND FINISHED THE SET. How bitchy would I have felt had I thrown a tantrum about him not coming out? Before ripping into them, look at all the things that are going on -- and maybe some of the things you don't know.

I also want to point out very quickly here that Gerard has done TUA signings on both coasts of the US (SDCC and FP) and also in London and somewhere else, I can't remember at the moment. He extended a few of them to meet more people -- very few of whom are comic fans, most of them are MCR fans who are reading the book *only* because he wrote it. Then another poster brought up that the show at the O2, the band had gone out of their way to ask the venue to allow fans camped outside in the cold to be allowed inside. That tells me that they always are thinking of their fans.

Finally, and I had posted this elsewhere as well, but it bears reposting here and there and anywhere: does this look like a band who has lost their values? I work with Wish kids myself (the ones who wish to visit the Disney parks) so I have a TON of respect for anyone who goes above and beyond for these kids. According to the website, MCR has done this not just for the posted story but for 5 other Wish children as well.

Look at the big picture, not at a handful of skewed viewpoints.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
December 10th, 2007 at 10:02am
psychochip:
Clap That article made me both cry and positively glow with pride all at the same time. Just one of the billions of reason I love my band so much. Tara, your post was spot-on as always. I wish people would do a bit more thinking before they post - words cannot be taken back once read or heard by someone else, remember that always.
x_pansy
Motor Baby
x_pansy
December 10th, 2007 at 10:32am
psychochip, marry me?
I'm just gonna clap a whole lot ok? Clap
Demonic.
Motor Baby
Demonic.
December 10th, 2007 at 05:57pm
Lovesick Melody.:

Directed at me?
Um, I am still a My Chem fan. I'm just trying to make people think.... This is purely for discussion.... 0.o

Just to make this not spam -

I think that people sometimes do overanalyze things they do.
And to be honest I think it is unfair on their end since they are not perfect.
Yes the band does somethings that can be questioned, but they are a rock band.
And a lot better then some others that are around.
We should look up to them, not beat them up everytime something happens.

No, it was directed at "Songs Of Victory"...she's doing the majority of posting on this thread.
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
December 10th, 2007 at 07:19pm
Thank you Debs (even though I'm Tabitha, not Tara, but that's okay, ILY anyway) and x_pansy. I just had to speak my mind. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my views.

Kisses to you both.

And that wish.org link is my work homepage.
annaaloves
Bleeding on the Floor
annaaloves
December 11th, 2007 at 03:52pm
Psychochip, your post honestly made my day, you just explained my feelings towards all this.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
December 11th, 2007 at 04:30pm
Dude.
They're only human. They're gonna fuck up sometimes.
It doesn't make me love them any less.

And the chickadee with leukemia,that story made me feel a lot better.
<3
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
December 11th, 2007 at 06:51pm
psychochip:

Amen to that!
And no matter how many times I read that article, it never fails to make me so proud to be an MCR fan. In Love
InsaneInsomniac
Killjoy
InsaneInsomniac
December 11th, 2007 at 07:50pm
Wow, reading through 5 pages of discussion can make a person wonder....and did I ponder.....
Firstly, MCR is one of my favourite bands, because as individuals, they fascinate me.
Secondly, The songs they write are amazing and timeless.
thirdly, in relation to the thread - that being of them losing thier values... I haven't read or headr squeak from the rest of the band. Everyone seems to be out to punish Gerard for ultimately getting hitched to a girl in a crappy band. He'll either live happily ever after or this is marriage 1 of x.
Anyway..I just wanted to state that during LOTMS, they had a lot to prove and were in thier 20's. Things change you everyday and if you think its a great idea to say you suck more cock than David Cassidy is a good idea, then, well, we all have a foot in mouth moment.
I like taking shit for being an MCR fan and I like supporting them in everything they do. I'm really looking forward to thier next album.

PS - can anyone tell me what exactly the leathermouth thing is?? I know it involve Frank and thats about it.

cheers
F'n'stein xo
Salute You in Your Grave
F'n'stein xo
December 11th, 2007 at 09:06pm
InsaneInsomniac:
PS - can anyone tell me what exactly the leathermouth thing is?? I know it involve Frank and thats about it.

cheers

leathermouth is frankie's side project band. He's the lead singer of the band.
Check out their myspace.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
December 13th, 2007 at 11:25pm

I think that the band is sometimes overanalyzed by the media and in return, some fans.
It's quite unfair, they are humans and make mistakes too.

And I would just like to take the opportunity to say how pleased I am that this is a discussion and how mature everyone is. Kudos to you all. :]
Demonic.
Motor Baby
Demonic.
December 19th, 2007 at 08:35pm
I've noticed a lot of the spam in the Rumors thread would be better here. I think I'll link this thread in my signature.
jules
Bleeding on the Floor
jules
December 20th, 2007 at 10:38am
Just some thoughts:

Is it possible Gerard may believe no one is listening to the message anymore and that's why he has stopped?

I was watching an interview with one of the monkees, don't ask, and he was discussing the Beatles - he pointed out that he was always disappointed at their concerts, because the fans weren't paying attention.There was so much screaming and such a need to touch or have some personal interaction with the band that no one was listening to the music.

At some point during the last two years, more of the fandom became more enamored with Gerard's hair and lovelife, whether Jamia was pregnant and the feud with the Used more than the music. It's normal - happens with every band that gets big --but I think it has now become so focused on these trivial things that any message gets lost in the mix. In that tasteit interview he stated the message was in the music - maybe he figures we aren't listening at the shows, so it is better served in the lyrics.

Imagine having no less than 12 bloggers tearing you apart for no reason other than you are famous - imagine having thousands of stories written about you that blur who you actually are with what someone believes you to be or wants you to be. Imagine having hordes of people judging every move you make. And most doing so with a limited life experience and maturity level.

No one really knows what goes on behind closed doors - no one really knows the truth behind any relationship but the people actual in it. These guys aren't perfect - that's why I am a fan, because they never tried to be anything other than human. They've always said - hey we fuck up, we lie, we hurt, and we are trying to figure it all out -- just like you. They never said they had any answers, they never made any promises, they just let you know there was someone else out there that felt the same. The message was to find the answers and the strength in yourself - to not be a sheep. MCR does save lives and does give hope - that's no marketing gimmick - you don't need to purchase a hoodie to get that.

I mean no offense, but I had to laugh at the comment that someone stopped liking Gerard because he was boring. What did you want him to do - light up or spin? He is a living, breathing being who has the same concerns as everyone else - money, home, family, work. Day to day life is pretty damn boring.

From day one, Gerard has said he wanted to put on a show like Queen, Alice Cooper, or Bowie -- something that pushed boundaries - but he also wanted to have a message in the mix. His approach made me think of South Park -- pushing the envelope to get a reaction, which forces people to think, while addressing an issue.

If you don't like the show, don't watch - it's pretty simple.

What makes me sad and disappointed is the rampant need to attack anyone who still likes the band or who accepts Gerard for being whatever version of Gerard he wishes to share with fans. What makes me sad is buzznet and livejournal and made up stories and rumors. What makes me sad are fans abandoning the band because of a marriage. I just don't get the use of time and effort to effecutate such trival crap with no purpose other than being negative. It makes little to no sense.

Hi Tabitha! Thank you for your posts and your view -- it is much appreciated--
Frnk iero.
Awake and Unafraid
Frnk iero.
December 20th, 2007 at 11:20am
I listen to THE BAND AND THE GUYS.
Peoples chatter, "Some guy said it on Buzznet" and "My friend said so!" Is about only 5% true.
I have a friend, or a few that like to say things that aren't true, because "They said so on Buzznet".
I've been on buzznet- for a year. I'm not aloud on now, thanks to my parents, but I know what the people are like.
Its basically a Rocker/Music lovers My Space. I dont like MS.
Regardless(That was off topic- Sorry)
I listen to what the guys say in Magazine, NewsPaper, Reliable Websites and Video Interviews.
Or if they post it themselves on the website.
If its said by them, And ACCTUALLY SAID by them- Wether it be in one of those interveiws, on their site, or said from their mouth, Which you know they do have- maybe we should listen to it. Then i belive it.

My final answer: No, i dont think they lost their values. I think people and the media- since their so big- pull them out of context. I belive in My Chemical Romance. I belive in: Gerard and Mikey Way, Bob Bryar, Frank Iero, And Ray Toro.

What happened the Chemical spirit!?!

Seriously guys- Theres hardly any REAL fans left. They all left.
And i think we should all instead of groaning that "we miss the old them" Embrace them. THEIR STILL THE SAME PEOPLE! Its not like they became zombies in a day. They GREW UP!

And you know what, I will still BEILIVE in Those 5 off-beat guys from Jersey untill, every last one is six feet under. I promise.

I hope someone reads this and realizes what im saying. Just one person read this and get it?
michellehail
Thinking Happy Thoughts
michellehail
December 20th, 2007 at 12:44pm
Well first of all, i think psychochip made a really good point there. And that article really touched me. ; _ ;
And sparkling_trees.

Yeah, instead of arguing over them, what they do and stuff. We gotta look from their point of view too. How would you feel if people were talking of you this way?

Anyway, about Gerard saying those stuff on stage. I recently read somewhere, on this site. There was this interview of Gerard and his coarse languages on stage and stuff.
I can't find the article now, but if someone has it, feel free to put it up.

I remembered some things he said in the interview, something about his language on stage.

I don't think he means what he says on stage, But maybe it has a meaning to it? He doesn't want the audience to go "fuck themselves". I'm sure he doesn't.

Maybe it was some sorta joke?

And yeah, where has the fan spirit gone? I used to think that MCR fan bases were the strongest i had ever seen, but here we are arguing about their lives, the way they speak.

But now it really looks like we're falling apart. ; _ ;

*And hell no, they haven't lost their values. I'll believe in them, everyone of them until i die.