Don't have an account? Create one!

Plus-Size Models

AuthorMessage
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
April 6th, 2008 at 05:28pm

...Healthy BMI is like 18-25. 27 is a little overweight, but it's not morbidly obese or anything. It also doesn't take into account muscle mass or bone mass, so it's just a vague guideline.

Edit: I found an article that said she was 12 stone 8 lbs, which is 176 pounds, putting her BMI at 25.3. That's not obese, it's slightly overweight.
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
April 6th, 2008 at 06:49pm
To me, it looks like she's at a pretty healthy weight. I mean, I don't see layers of fat oozing out of her swimsuit or whatever. She's an hourglass, even if a big one. But she's definitely not obese, and hardly overweight. She could stand to loose a lot of weight if yeah, she wanted to be a typical-stick-thin-curve-less model. But she looks fine to me.

I think most people are just shocked because they aren't used to seeing confident, curvy women win things like modeling or miss u.k. It's unusual, neh?
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 6th, 2008 at 08:30pm
^ exactly. its just different. people arent used to seeing a model who is slightly on the big side.

and with the bmi thing, yeah. they usually dont always work. i have a friend who is fairly tall and works out at the gym (he is pretty muscly) and his bmi said that he is extremely overweight and unhealthy when in fact, he is not. its cos of the muscle.
i know that may not be the case with this model, but just pointing that out Smile
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
April 6th, 2008 at 08:39pm
^This is true. My mom had a friend who was in the military. She was fit and everything before it, but after boot camp, she was almost literally all muscle. (We're talking tendons-standing-out-in-the-neck, here -- her mom was scared) and the BMI thing said she was morbidly obese. So it's not always (maybe not even often) terribly reliable.

And as others have stated, many people exercise regularly and eat healthily, and are still seen as being over/underweight. It's not that person's fault -- it's just the way that person's metabolism works.

Also, the modern standard of "beauty," or rather, was a committee and a number of focus groups have decided constitutes beauty, is kind of false. If you look at what was considered beautiful just a hundred years ago, you'd see a lot of women who look much closer to Miss Surrey than you would to those look like Paris Hilton or Nicole Richie.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
April 6th, 2008 at 09:28pm
Simple and Clean:
I am probably going to be scolded by everyone for this, but here goes:

I totally aggree that, it is really great that larger girls are out there saying 'you are beautiful, no matter what size you are'
However, The size 16 model in question, says she is curvy, but in all honesty, she is just over weight.

of course you'll get scolded by it. stop being close-minded. not all overweight people are overweight because they want to be, some have health problems that cause it. read some medical books and they'll tell you.

that girl is fucking gorgeous, and she doesn't look as overweight as most people. she apparently loves herself enough to do something like that, and i give her credit for it. you should too. it's hard for people to be small sizes nowadays.

i find it disgusting when someone's bones are sticking out. how can someone find that attractive?

i'm pretty offended by what you said, sorry to say.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 6th, 2008 at 09:52pm
^ i was offended also, but i can kinda see where simple and clean is coming from even though i definately do not agree.
and i wanna agree with faye merci. she doesnt have oozing fat. like, seriosly. her stomach is fairly 'flat' and i definately would call her 'curvy' or 'lucious' Very Happy
GhouliaYelps
Jazz Hands
GhouliaYelps
April 6th, 2008 at 10:44pm
This is a really good topic for discussion.
I'm going to have to agree with both sides here,
yes she is overweight, but does that make her any less beautiful? no. I think It's good that a better representation of womens bodies is being recognised. That said however it does present a problem. The fact that people view her as a better representation of society, and that people are celebrating the fact that she is a part of this competition shows us that society is becoming complacent about the obesity problem. Being overweight has risk. So does being skinny, but there is a difference between being skinny and being underweight.
I'm not saying she is obese, we all have different body types, and as long as she's healthy ( because really none of us can comment without knowing what state her health is in) She should be proud of her body and all the best to her.

Also, in a newspaper i was reading on sunday, they had published the results of a survey they did asking guys which women out of the 3 they were shown did they prefer. 41% and 39% chose the size 12 and size 16 ( or 14 can't remember) model of the size eight model.
Also again, women with fat on their hips and thighs are apparently more intelligent and produce more intelligent offspring.
k i'm done. Smile
p.s no offence to naturally skinny people, i know there are plenty of them out there.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
April 7th, 2008 at 05:23am
shine.:

of course you'll get scolded by it. stop being close-minded. not all overweight people are overweight because they want to be, some have health problems that cause it. read some medical books and they'll tell you.

that girl is fucking gorgeous, and she doesn't look as overweight as most people. she apparently loves herself enough to do something like that, and i give her credit for it. you should too. it's hard for people to be small sizes nowadays.

i find it disgusting when someone's bones are sticking out. how can someone find that attractive?

I was not being close minded, thank you very much.
I don't need you giving me orders all hill ninny, and it isn't your place, neither.
Did I say I thought she was doing wrong?
No I didn't, I merely said she was over weight, which, whether you want to be or not, isn't healthy. Just like being under weight.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 7th, 2008 at 06:16am
^ but she isnt overweight enough to cause serious problems.
i think we should be careful in a topic like this, even if your opinion is that she is overweight, cos it could be an issue close to home.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 7th, 2008 at 06:50am
Simple and Clean:
shine.:

I was not being close minded, thank you very much.
I don't need you giving me orders all hill ninny, and it isn't your place, neither.
Did I say I thought she was doing wrong?
No I didn't, I merely said she was over weight, which, whether you want to be or not, isn't healthy. Just like being under weight.

As Bad Businessman? had already stated, her BMI was 25.3, which is technically spot on the perfect weight range. It's actually healthy to be slightly overweight. Just because you don't look toned, taut and trim, it doesn't mean you are not healthy.
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
April 7th, 2008 at 07:27am
squiggly.:
As Bad Businessman? had already stated, her BMI was 25.3, which is technically spot on the perfect weight range. It's actually healthy to be slightly overweight. Just because you don't look toned, taut and trim, it doesn't mean you are not healthy.

This is true. In spite of exercise, not everyone becomes "toned" or whatever... Not everyone acquires muscle tone equally easily, and some just never get it without serious body building.

And women especially need to not drop below a certain percentage of fat in their bodies. Without that, it's very easy to have health problems in really nasty ways... Like not having your period. (Which, annoying though it is, is not really something you want to suddenly lose, you know?)
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
April 7th, 2008 at 11:32am
just because you are a little bigger than 'average' weight, doesnt mean you are unhealthy. health is not measured in what size your clothes are or how flat your stomach is thankyou very much.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
April 7th, 2008 at 02:44pm
It's great that a bigger model made it that far, and it gives me hope that people may change their standards of beauty.
But at the same time, and as wrong as it is, society is the reason (most) models are so skinny. People would rather see a 100-pound-woman than a 200-pound-woman, or even a 150-pound-woman, in the magazines.
I don't think it's fair, and I'm not saying that the bigger model's are less gorgeous, but it's just the way society is.

Oh, and I had heard that super-thin models are being banned from fashion shows. That's another step in the right direction, right?
xhead1st4halos94x
Fabulous Killjoy
xhead1st4halos94x
April 7th, 2008 at 09:30pm
i wish that plus sized models and bigger people in general would be more accepted in society today. i mean im not super huge (im like maybe 15lbs overweight) but compared to most of these freaking anorexic, perfect people idolized in magazine and shit im a fucking pig. i think that if the media incorperated a healthy balance of people of all sizes into their magazines, the world would be much more accepting of larger people.
Sweet Iced Tea
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sweet Iced Tea
April 7th, 2008 at 11:42pm
she is so beautiful, nice hair color to.
William the Bloody
Killjoy
William the Bloody
April 8th, 2008 at 01:17am
I think it's great! A model who is a little large will be a better role model then one who is freakishly skinny. If a model were super skinny, it might make some poor little girl anorexic because a model made it look cool to be skinny! A larger model will encourage being happy with who you are which is how it should be!
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
April 8th, 2008 at 06:21am
Land Shark:
Oh, and I had heard that super-thin models are being banned from fashion shows. That's another step in the right direction, right?

This is true: Models below a certain weight or size (can't remember which) were banned from appearing in Spanish fashion shows, and many others are following suit (no pun intended. Razz)

And I'm all for it. I wish more people would do it.

Plus, so much of fashion now is completely unwearable... Maybe if they had women who looked more normal, we'd get some clothes you can actually wear. Laughing
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 8th, 2008 at 06:27am
^ for sure. ive seen so many designers make clothing where there biggest size is a size 12 (australian sizes). it really sucks cos my dad's work have some heaps nice trench coat's... but they are all in tiny sizes! Disgust
Lonerinlove
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Lonerinlove
April 9th, 2008 at 05:24pm
im from england and i think its great a girl who is size 16 is representing my country.

a few months back i was size 16 and always felt pressured by the media to be thin and went on a diet. im now size 14 and happy this way.

im 5ft 10 ins all my mates said i didnt need to lose weight but by going down just 1 dress size made me happy
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
April 10th, 2008 at 04:00am
I Rock Psychochip's Opinion Very Happy

psychochip:
Marilyn Monroe was a size 16, and she is considered by many to be the ideal in feminine beauty.

Women are by our very nature supposed to be curvy. We have a waistline because the bones of our hips are made to spread to accomodate pregnancy and childbirth. Often in forensic investigations it is the hipbones which tell the researcher whether it is a female or male specimen. Our breasts are meant to nourish a child. A woman with no waistline and no breasts is unnatural.

Besides, with vanity sizing, no one actually knows what size they are anymore. I bought 6 pairs of shorts and pants last weekend ranging in size from 12 to 18. Laid on a bed, one on top of the other, they all have the same waistline and the same measurements in the hips. So what am I? A 12? An 18? Or a size in the middle? I have underpants that are a size 9, but labeled XXL right next to the 9. It's ridiculous.

I don't understand why it is such a big deal now, that a woman of average size is considered plus-size next to her waifish counterparts.

And i also agree abt size being v subjective -- depending on the country, ur own size & even ethnic heritage.

here's to real natural women! the way we were meant to be