Don't have an account? Create one!

Plus-Size Models

AuthorMessage
Helena Rush.
Awake and Unafraid
Helena Rush.
May 2nd, 2008 at 11:16am
amyy.vengeance:
I saw this on the news the other night, and thought it was awesome. The first size 16 model to make it to the finals of the Miss England. Personally, I think she is absolutely gorgeous.
I wanna know what you guys think.
Do you think that it's good that there is a realistic sized model in this competition? (I live in Australia, so I only know bits bout it).
Do you think its good how she is helping break the skinny model stereotype?
And yeah, just your thoughts on it =]
I posted a link to the article if you wanna read more, or if you don't really know what its about.

The Article Here

And I'm pretty sufre it fits here... yer. I wasn't positive but I think it would be good to have a discussion on it =]

FINALLY!! It's great to see that she's showing an example to younger kids who become anorexic to be stick thin or barbie-doll like! I think if she wins, it might do the whole "I have to be stick thin" image going 'round and show the younger people that its ALRIGHT to not be a size zero. That just totally made my day.
My Hero:
Demolition Lover
My Hero:
May 2nd, 2008 at 04:59pm
Quite frankly. I find it very refreshing. She's bigger than me, and yet, she looks really like me. That makes me feel better about myself.

I think it's great though.

Yes, she's not really at what her weight should be, but in no way is she OBESE. She's really just chubby or a little bit overweight.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
May 2nd, 2008 at 11:42pm
That is really great.
That right there is solid proof that you don't have to be a size 00 to be beautiful.
Goodnight Nurse
Salute You in Your Grave
Goodnight Nurse
May 3rd, 2008 at 10:03am
This is great!
size shouldn't matter anyway
XMaliceInWonderlandX
Killjoy
XMaliceInWonderlandX
May 4th, 2008 at 08:47pm
Well, I'd say that is pretty damn cool. It shows people that you don't have to be a matchstick to be gorgeous. I know so many who are viewed as "voluptuous", and they are sooo pretty, and they can't see that in themselves; all they see are their weight issues, and that's really sad, honestly.
Juliet and Romeo
Salute You in Your Grave
Juliet and Romeo
May 4th, 2008 at 09:22pm
I think it's wonderful. Of course, I'm pretty sure it use to be that models had to have more curves and really skinny girls that are models now a days couldn't have been models.

There should be room in the industry for both. :]
sweet dreams.
Salute You in Your Grave
sweet dreams.
May 5th, 2008 at 12:01am
Oh my gosh, I couldn't be more happy about this. I was getting so frustrated the other day because I went to a PacSun store at the mall to buy some new jeans. I tried a whole bunch of different sizes and fits, and found about two pairs out of the ten that I tried on that I could actually get past my thighs. And the thing that really really irks me about that is that I'm not overweight. I'm not super skinny, but I'm definitely not the slightest bit fat. So how come I can't fit into these clothes?

They're made for people who have long, thin legs. And all of the shirts in that store are skin-tight, meaning they wouldn't really look great on someone who wasn't twig-thin.

So I'm extremely proud of Chloe and I'm glad that we've taken one step closer to realizing that not everyone is skinny and perfect. Some people's bodies just aren't meant to be extremely thin, no matter how healthy they are.
freak_boi
Killjoy
freak_boi
May 5th, 2008 at 08:47am
I think its brilliant, because with size zero. Nothing to hug=[
Curves rule! Whoo lol,
I think portraying skinny to be beautiful is bull shit personally.
The body is only a shell.
CakePlease.
Motor Baby
CakePlease.
May 6th, 2008 at 05:30pm
I think it's okay. I just dont think people should be praising her because she is a size 16 and made it.
People shouldnt be judged on what size they are but if their weight is their natural healthy wait.
If a particular girls "natural/healthy" size is a 10 then I see it as just as bad that she would turn into a size 16 then if she went to a size 6/8.
She shouldnt be praised because she is a "plus size" but because she is a healthy weight.
the remembered one.
Motor Baby
the remembered one.
May 6th, 2008 at 06:36pm
I agree with some of the things that the first people said. I am not skinny, and I am not overweight. My doctor says I am average. But my clothing ranges from anything between a medium to a XL or between a size 6 in pants to a size 9. It all depends. I think that she is beautiful and shouldn't be thought of as, "un-healthy" at all because she most likely excercises and eats like an average person. As long as she does that she is most likely healthy. Everyone has different body builds.
And with the whole thing that someone brought up, "We don't want to glamourize being overweight".... that is an apauling statement. At that point there shouldn't be models at all because they are always either "thick" or "thin" and when they arn't suposedly "promoting being overweight" they will be promoting being underweight.
No matter what, people are going to be one way or the other and to be honest with you I rather people be happy being overweight, as opose to gagging themselves and wondering every second of everyday if they are "thin enough".

She is beautiful and she represents all women that are not twigs well.
I support her 100%.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
May 6th, 2008 at 08:17pm
Coming from somebody who is underweight, I must say I find some things said in this thread about skinny people offensive.
Why must everyone who is stick thin be purging in the hopes that they'll be good enough? I'm naturally thin, do not have an eating disorder, and don't constantly worry about my body. There's more skinny girls like me.
I know things like this don't happen everyday and it's great to see somebody different make it that far, but can we please take into consideration what we say about other people?
the remembered one.
Motor Baby
the remembered one.
May 7th, 2008 at 03:50pm
I have absolutely no problem with people who are naturally thin but when you look at the statistics 85% of all models have had some kind of eating disorder in their life, and 95% wish they looked better than they currently do. Our society shouldn't be supporting that and pushing that upon teenagers. I think that when a person is not thin, but excercises regularly and promotes good eating habits while still being happy with who they are, that it should be promoted more than the twig models in the world that put the opposite foot forward.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 7th, 2008 at 10:04pm
Imagine Love.:
I have absolutely no problem with people who are naturally thin but when you look at the statistics 85% of all models have had some kind of eating disorder in their life, and 95% wish they looked better than they currently do. Our society shouldn't be supporting that and pushing that upon teenagers. I think that when a person is not thin, but excercises regularly and promotes good eating habits while still being happy with who they are, that it should be promoted more than the twig models in the world that put the opposite foot forward.

May I ask where you got those statistics from?
Demolition Lover 85
Killjoy
Demolition Lover 85
May 8th, 2008 at 11:50am
I think it's wonderful that a plus size models are out there! I think so many teens see the skinny ones and think that's how I should look and end up with a those eating disorders. Most wemen in america are not a size 2. It's been a while but I heard the average size of an american female is a size 14. We need more average size models out there.
the remembered one.
Motor Baby
the remembered one.
May 9th, 2008 at 03:33pm
double post.
the remembered one.
Motor Baby
the remembered one.
May 9th, 2008 at 03:34pm
techno cocaine.:
Imagine Love.:

May I ask where you got those statistics from?

I obtained the information from an article that I read with my friends in school.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
May 10th, 2008 at 12:11am
Heroin Addiction.:

I really doubt those statistics, they seem too high. Plus I don't trust statistics given to me without any proof of it's existence.
Our society doesn't push teenagers to be perfect and thin, it's the individuals thoughts that push them to believe they are not good enough.
Why do you consider promoting "twig" models to be putting the opposite foot forward?

--

In defense of the modeling agencies, there is a higher demand for plus-size models more than ever. The modeling agency I'm signed to, for example, is calling for many plus-size models now, I'd say more than the thin models. It's not like bigger people are being totally discriminated against in the modeling world.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
May 10th, 2008 at 03:09am
^ thats true, i think its great that they are doing that.
but honestly, in most magazines or tv ads, you never really see plus size models. sure, there are quite a few around, but you hardly ever see them. i know i havent seen many here in australia, except for those dove ads.
freak_boi
Killjoy
freak_boi
May 10th, 2008 at 06:11am
Same, i hate the way media portrays 'be size 0 and be beautiful!'. Its not true at all, if your naturally skinny. Cool^^
If your naturally curvy, thats nice too=]
But the media are so shallow and make girls, or some guys think. They have to be stick thin to be liked and it is rediculous.
So show more 'plus' size models!
Ive only ever seen them in Dove adds, their probably doing it for the buisness lol. But...their the only franchize ive seen not pushing people to be overly skinny.
hunteri heroici.
Always Born a Crime
hunteri heroici.
June 5th, 2008 at 02:19pm
This is great.
Maybe we're finally going to leave the 'skinny model' stereotype behind.
:)