Don't have an account? Create one!

Plus-Size Models

AuthorMessage
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 10th, 2009 at 10:21am
Alexface.:
Surely the job of a model is to demonstrate what clothes look like on a person?
Yeah, you would think so, wouldn't you? However, after following several "I Want To Be A Model" type tv shows over the past year or so, I've come to accept the fact that the point, to the designers, is always the clothes. Models are asked to remain that small so that they are essentially walking coat hangers (I actually heard one designer say this to a model!) Sample sizes are generally 0-4.

Here's another thing that really peeves my Mom: Lane Bryant is supposed to be designed for women like herself, yet the stores and catalogs feature women my size (10-12.) Since when are those "plus" sizes?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
July 10th, 2009 at 05:02pm
Simple and Clean:
I am probably going to be scolded by everyone for this, but here goes:

I totally aggree that, it is really great that larger girls are out there saying 'you are beautiful, no matter what size you are'
However, The size 16 model in question, says she is curvy, but in all honesty, she is just over weight.

I agree. I am not a size 0, but I am not a size 16 either. To say that a size 16 is a representation of society is not necessarily a good thing. I definitely know that each person is different and that they may have extenuating circumstances that make it hard for them to maintain a healthy weight, and I understand that. But that does not cover most of society, and the overweight people who do not fall into the medical category should not celebrate their weight.

It's good to have self-confidence and not hate your body, but it's not good to be overweight. It's bad for your health, regardless of how you feel about it. As is being done now, more healthy ways of losing weight and feeling good about doing it (regardless of the time it takes, because we are all different) should be celebrated.

The human body is not meant to have that much fat in it. She's pretty, but it's just that simple. It's not healthy, and unhealthiness shouldn't be celebrated - whether it's anorexia or being overweight.

Edit: I'm sorry - as far as that model in particular winning the competition, I want to say I'm super happy for her. Here's the thing...I don't really look at it as a victory for "normal" people (which is a tad insulting to me as I am nowhere near her size and am somehow hated for that, even though I am just over a healthy weight, wtf). It's more the fact that someone wins based on qualities besides their weight, and it disappoints me that it is always going to be about the weight, whether it is high weight or low. =/
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
July 10th, 2009 at 05:04pm
Alexface.:
Surely the job of a model is to demonstrate what clothes look like on a person?

No. Models are there to make the clothes look as good as possible in order for them to be sold. I mean, I don't think that's good, believe me, but yeah, they are being used as a tool.
KillJoys
Bulletproof Heart
KillJoys
July 11th, 2009 at 07:19am
I think a UK size 16 is acceptable, statistics reveals that the common size of women in the UK is 16. Besides it doesn't brand you as fat, I have a friend who is a 16, though she has a totally flat stomach, she is just set wider which makes her look more curvy. I think it is more harmful to be exposed to a size 0 model, they are the ones who are getting the media's attention , what is printed in fashion magazine and what billions of young girls are exposed too.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
July 12th, 2009 at 01:24pm
The model is size 16 UK which relates to a 12 or 14 in the US apparently. I don't personally think that that is someone who is hugly fat or should cause concern about the amount of fat they are carrying on them. The model in question is also very tall. I really don't think that she is unhealthy at that weight. According to the NHS website her BMI is 24.6. Which is just in the "healthy" caterogry. Ok, granted so she is on the edge of it, but still, she is in there.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 13th, 2009 at 09:48am
spock:
It's good to have self-confidence and not hate your body, but it's not good to be overweight. It's bad for your health, regardless of how you feel about it.
Actually...
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 13th, 2009 at 01:46pm
Deb:
spock:
It's good to have self-confidence and not hate your body, but it's not good to be overweight. It's bad for your health, regardless of how you feel about it.
Actually...

But that's a few extra pounds, not forty or fifty, and it also says that eating healthy will prolong your life. Being obese is still bad for your health.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 13th, 2009 at 02:06pm
Faraday:
But that's a few extra pounds, not forty or fifty, and it also says that eating healthy will prolong your life. Being obese is still bad for your health.
It discusses BMI percentages, not specific amounts of pounds, and remember too that a six foot tall woman who wears a size 16 is a lot less overweight than a five foot tall woman wearing that same size. Furthermore, there is no reason to assume that a slightly overweight woman has horrible eating habits. Also, forty or fifty extra pounds is nowhere near obese.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 13th, 2009 at 03:43pm
Deb:
It discusses BMI percentages, not specific amounts of pounds, and remember too that a six foot tall woman who wears a size 16 is a lot less overweight than a five foot tall woman wearing that same size. Furthermore, there is no reason to assume that a slightly overweight woman has horrible eating habits. Also, forty or fifty extra pounds is nowhere near obese.

I concede, you're right. When I think of the word overweight, I always think of a fat person, like really fat, which is not really what overweight always is.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
July 13th, 2009 at 04:48pm
Faraday:
When I think of the word overweight, I always think of a fat person, like really fat, which is not really what overweight always is.
Yeah, it just means above average recommended.
not so pretty.
In The Murder Scene
not so pretty.
July 15th, 2009 at 01:55am
BMI's not as reliable as you might think.
Just in case this hasn't been brought up yet...

This woman is overweight, according to her BMI. This woman is obese.
On this flickr, there are people who posted their BMI, height, and weight, to show you what people in each catagory look like in real life.

There are also people who may match the pictures we get in our head of obese and overweight people, like this woman. I'm just trying to help see the other side of the whole BMI thing.

Oh, and I'd like to point out according to the article linked a few posts above, underweight people have a 70% increase in death risks, and obese people have an increase of 36%.
It's still more harmful to be underweight than obese, which that model is not.
riot reality
Jazz Hands
riot reality
January 5th, 2010 at 02:58pm
I just wanted to say, that I don't like how they're banning size zero models. I'm hoping that they meant that as banning under weight models, in which case I'd have no problem with it.
But if it was size zero models, then that's just silly. I'm a size zero (they're actually a little big on me, but only a little)-- but I'm 5'1". So in my case, which is that of others, I'm sure, it's perfectly fine.

Anyway, that being said, I think this woman's accomplishment was pretty cool. I wouldn't say size sixteen is the most common size, and she's probably a bit over a healthy weight, but still. It's cool.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 5th, 2010 at 08:26pm
Tallulah; Schechter:
The model is size 16 UK which relates to a 12 or 14 in the US apparently. I don't personally think that that is someone who is hugly fat or should cause concern about the amount of fat they are carrying on them. The model in question is also very tall. I really don't think that she is unhealthy at that weight. According to the NHS website her BMI is 24.6. Which is just in the "healthy" caterogry. Ok, granted so she is on the edge of it, but still, she is in there.

I think I missed that it was a UK 16. That's not very big. I am a 9 or 1o here in the US.
Coraline.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Coraline.
January 19th, 2010 at 06:01am
There was a pagent on bbc3 here,but they only allowed models over the size 16 to compete,i thought it was AMAZING.

I havnt heard about miss england though,so this will be a little out of place Wink

No matter what size you are ,your beautiful and they got the message across really well.
it still disapoints me how many people are actually intrested in it though.
Im hoping to open a boutique soon,and ill definately be doing larger sizes than a ten in clothing
It really disapoints me when you walk into a store and all the best clothing is for the thinner people :/
Sexy Mama
Banned
Sexy Mama
January 20th, 2010 at 11:17am
the only reason they are promoting that is cuz their are so many over weight ppl. if ppl were truly healthy and didn't weigh almost 300 pounds we'd be better off.. personally i think its gross
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
January 21st, 2010 at 09:22pm
sexy mama:
the only reason they are promoting that is cuz their are so many over weight ppl. if ppl were truly healthy and didn't weigh almost 300 pounds we'd be better off.. personally i think its gross
But... the model in question isn't actually "almost 300 pounds" and she isn't obese. At least she doesn't look obese.

And I should also point out that you have no idea what her health is like - you can look like that model and be quite healthy. On the flip side, being skinny doesn't mean you're healthy, either.

I think one of the main reasons for why some people think it's gross is because they've been brainwashed to think that anyone over a "small" size is automatically a fat, lazy pig who doesn't exercise and is "gross". Fat isn't necessarily "gross" or unhealthy. In fact, being slightly overweight is better for your health than being underweight. And a lot of runway models are underweight.

I don't get people who don't bat an eyelid at all the underweight models on the fashion runways, but when one girl who happens to be a few sizes larger steps on the runway, there's fat-shaming and fat-phobia in abundance, even if she's not actually "fat". It's quite sad, really.

Also, did you miss the part where her weight is actually in the healthy range, not the overweight or obese range?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 21st, 2010 at 11:40pm
I think we should try to remember that this discussion is NOT about that ONE model alone, but about plus size models. In fact, I will change the thread title now. Because for 7 pages to be defending one model against statements made about the whole industry is sort of silly, so let's widen the chat a bit.
Coraline.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Coraline.
January 22nd, 2010 at 03:47am
[quote="Mindfuck"]
sexy mama:

And I should also point out that you have no idea what her health is like - you can look like that model and be quite healthy. On the flip side, being skinny doesn't mean you're healthy, either.

I agree with this,however i wouldnt class her as overwieght.
I know alot of people who are plus size and thier actually really healthy,they go to the gym alot and eat the right foods.
I dont think alot of people relise that to be a plus size model,alot of the models are intending to be bigger,they dont just eat junk and not excercise :l
Sexy Mama
Banned
Sexy Mama
January 22nd, 2010 at 09:45am
its still nasty. i think that plus size models are pretty gross cuz they just look discusting.. i think our world is messed up and are only promoting bigger ppl cuz everyone is getting bigger and its repulsing
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
January 22nd, 2010 at 10:01am
sexy mama:
its still nasty. i think that plus size models are pretty gross cuz they just look discusting.. i think our world is messed up and are only promoting bigger ppl cuz everyone is getting bigger and its repulsing
Someone once said, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' and I find this a true statement. I don't think it is up to anyone else to say who is 'beautiful' or 'disgusting' particularly merely from one picture.

If the only reason your world is messed up is because people are enjoying their food and their bodies more, what a simple world that must be.