Don't have an account? Create one!

Plus-Size Models

AuthorMessage
Ierosistible
Killjoy
Ierosistible
August 5th, 2008 at 06:43pm
I'm glad the trend is turning to models who are more normally sized. Normal is the key. Not too skinny, not hugely overweight. But curvy or "plus" sized does not necessarily mean overweight. Some people are built to be that way, while still being a healthy weight for their frame. I think healthy is the key word.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 5th, 2008 at 10:34pm
Ierosistible:
I'm glad the trend is turning to models who are more normally sized. Normal is the key. Not too skinny, not hugely overweight. But curvy or "plus" sized does not necessarily mean overweight. Some people are built to be that way, while still being a healthy weight for their frame. I think healthy is the key word.

I agree, it's really awesome. I love those dove commercials that have real normal sized women. The only problem with 'plus' size models is that, for me personally I would love to be a model, but I actually have a gut and thighs and I don't fit into the 'plus' size because I don't have big boobs.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
August 6th, 2008 at 09:38am
I think basically, people should realise more that in most countries the "regular" size is now around a 14 and not an 8.
We shouldn't glorify being overweight or underweight but have healthy looking models that dont look 'obese' or 'anorexic'.

Even with that, a healthy size is also depending on the individual.
So I think this debate is going to go on quite awhile longer.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
August 7th, 2008 at 10:12pm
I think its great that its something above a sie 2. honestly, it reminds girls that beauty isnt limited to small bodies, it comes it all shapes
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
August 7th, 2008 at 10:13pm
sorry about the missing letters, my keybord is going out
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 8th, 2009 at 01:14pm
Aww im glad she won!

Im sick of always seeing the stick thin size 0 models everywhere!

There need to be more size 16 models! The world would be a better place lol!
Your Ghost.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Your Ghost.
May 17th, 2009 at 06:01pm
Honestly, I cannot be happier about this! Finally someone who wasn't 90lbs. and unhealthy gets the praise! I used to tell my mom that one day things would change in the realm of models and I'm so glad they did. It gives me just a little bit of hope in this world. (:
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 17th, 2009 at 08:20pm

I don't mean to sound like a cow, but honestly, as much as she's more of a 'normal' size, she's not a healthy size.
I know she's not morbidly obese or anything, but I don't think she's a particularly healthy image to put out there either.

Although she does look a lot better than some of the stick insects. (:
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 17th, 2009 at 08:22pm
I'm not sure if this would go in this thread, but what about in addition to models with larger body sizes, models with smaller bodies? Like, maybe a size four or so, but much shorter than your average model?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 17th, 2009 at 11:10pm
frank iero!:

I don't mean to sound like a cow, but honestly, as much as she's more of a 'normal' size, she's not a healthy size.
I know she's not morbidly obese or anything, but I don't think she's a particularly healthy image to put out there either.

Although she does look a lot better than some of the stick insects. (:
But you don't really know if she's healthy. She's carrying a bit of extra weight, but skinnyness does not equate to healthyness. Some people who are overweight are healthy, and some people who are thin are not.

You can't really tell that she's unhealthy by looking at her because you don't know her diet or how much exercise she does.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 18th, 2009 at 02:43am
^
Eh, I suppose you've got a fair point. But even if she is the healthiest size 16 in the world, there's gonna be
unhealthy 16s who see her and think 'oh, everything's okay then.'

There are naturally skinny models too, but Anorexics & Pro-Anas use their pictures for thinspiration. It's the
same deal.
Your Ghost.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Your Ghost.
May 18th, 2009 at 08:54pm
frank iero!:
^
Eh, I suppose you've got a fair point. But even if she is the healthiest size 16 in the world, there's gonna be
unhealthy 16s who see her and think 'oh, everything's okay then.

I would honestly like to think on the more optimistic side of this. I know, for as much a fact as I can prove, that most somewhat overweight girls who may be aspiring to be plus-size models, don't go walking around unhealthy. Or women who arent trying to be models, I don't think this will make them think its okay to be unhealthy, I think this will make them feel like they aren't alone in what seems to them a world of skinny people. Therefore, I see it as inspiration to all overweight women to get up and do something about it before it becomes unhealthy. I think that the acheivment that this plus sized model has made will speak to everyone, wethere they like it or not. Maybe this is something to motivate overweight individuals. I can sincerely say, she deserved it. Finally, someone can make a difference. If you want to make a difference, be the difference. And thats what she did.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 19th, 2009 at 02:18am

I'm not saying that everyone is going to think it's okay, and I know some people are soo glad to have someone who's not a stick
as a model. But I'm saying, models shouldn't be overweight or underweight. They both cause health problems, and as a society,
we shouldn't glamourise being an unhealthy (underweight or overweight) shape.

There'd still be variety in the models - there'd be size six or eights on one end and maybe sixteens on the other. But they should be
healthy.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 19th, 2009 at 03:17am
how can you judge if someone is healthy in a profession that it based purely on aesthetics? Models are there to wear clothes and look nice, not to give us a run down of what they had for lunch.

A model could live purely on mcdonalds but the power of make up or even airbrushing means they look extremely healthy.

Lots of models who look super healthy are actually coke users or have eating disorders. Appearances can be deceptive.
Your Ghost.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Your Ghost.
May 19th, 2009 at 07:04pm
Tallulah;Schechter- You definately have got a point that I didn't grasp at all. I guess I was just trying to think a bit better of models. But you definately brough up a valid point. Thanks for pointing that out.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 19th, 2009 at 07:12pm
Thanks.

One of the worlds leading models Kate Moss has one of the most unhealthy lifestyles. She smokes like a chimney, eats crap, drinks too much and has had a well publicized cocaine problem. However, if you look at her in the Calvin Klein adverts she did you'd never think she was anything but super healthy.

Being size 16 doesn't naturally equate to being unhealthy.
Your Ghost.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Your Ghost.
May 19th, 2009 at 07:33pm
Mhmm. I get what you're saying. That just proves I missed something when I replied. Ooops. Razz
SingerOfSorrows
Killjoy
SingerOfSorrows
May 24th, 2009 at 08:50pm
i'm glad she made it, it means that heavier people don't need to be so intensely ashamed of themselves/hate themselves, like i am/do. while i don't think this will convince to me to "love myself", it's still very inspiring.
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
July 10th, 2009 at 07:21am
This is awesome. There are so many other curvy role models out there as well. Wasn't Marilyn Monroe like a size 14 or something? And look at Beth Ditto. She's got her own clothing range out in Evans now. And before people get at me saying she's not a healthy role model blah blah blah I read a recent interview she did for Look magazine where she said doctors were baffled that her blood pressure and cholestral were perfectly fine. In fact, she said her most unhealthy weight was when she dropped to weighing 120lb. So yeah. Go size 16 models.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
July 10th, 2009 at 08:48am
I think this is a positive thing. I don't understand why models are sort of forced to be as skinny as they possibly can. Surely the job of a model is to demonstrate what clothes look like on a person? And should that not be the average person? How many mannequins do you see in clothes shops with their rib cages accentuated?