What Are You Thinking

AuthorMessage
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 19th, 2024 at 09:26pm
vermin:
ah, that’s fair. time is a scarce resource these days it seems. Cry

why do you think you suck at poetry? to my knowledge its not really something you can exactly be bad at since it’s just artistic expression with words.

that being said i totally suck at poetry myself. Cool
being abstract is not my forte.

i just lack confidence, honestly
the last poem i submitted for workshop was decent enough; i worked intentionally with meter, slant rhyme, and phonemes, and it seemed well liked around the class
i haven't read yet their letters to me (we give each other critique letters after every workshop)

i need to submit 4 more poems for the semester, i have one done but i like to submit them in bulk
vermin
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vermin
NotYourKindOfPeople:
Maybe next time I'll get a smaller dog. I follow a basset hound blog on tumblr so like one of those.

What kind of dog would you get?

i like how pomskys look… but im somewhat dubious about how they’re born so idk if i would ever actually get one unless i did a lot of research.
NotYourKindOfPeople
In The Murder Scene
NotYourKindOfPeople
vermin:
NotYourKindOfPeople:
Understanding poetry is essential for becoming a good writer. I took a bunch of poetry classes getting my writing degree because it was less workload lol, but once I really appreciated it and went back to narrative writing my skill level skyrocketed. Not enough writers understand that.

i was never good at abstract concepts. i’m sure i could produce a poem but it would he mediocre at best.

reading a lot has helped me learn a bit more about writing, it also makes sense poetry could help. maybe i should give it a shot and read some anthologies or something.

Yeah. I found that it forced me to get comfortable with the abstract concept of words and to not take format for granted. After my like 8th poetry class I found that I had way more command over my word choice and how I expressed meaning. It was kind of like conceptual prose bootcamp.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 19th, 2024 at 09:27pm
vermin:
sounds like a good idea, could be a fun project!

i don’t have nearly enough pictures to fill an album. x_x

i'm mainly thinking of creating a tibby photo album

so there's been difficulties in getting my new phone because of reasons that are stupid
but i think i'm having a hard time with it because i'd have to go without physical storage of my photos of her for a while and that gives me a heavy pit in my stomach
i'm probably being so damn inconvenient for the salesman and everyone else but... whatever
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 19th, 2024 at 09:29pm
i find my best poems are written when i'm not actually writing them
my favorite of mine, i wrote in my head on a walk
the only editing i did was in the punctuation afterwards
NotYourKindOfPeople
In The Murder Scene
NotYourKindOfPeople
March 19th, 2024 at 09:29pm
I think I have a bad association with breeders and pure breeds. There are good breeders out there, but the general rule is that within a gene pool diversity creates the strongest result so I'll probably stick with mixed breed rescues my whole life.
vermin
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vermin
March 19th, 2024 at 09:30pm
NotYourKindOfPeople:
I have a terrible habit of watching heartstring tugging videos of animals who are incredibly matted getting shaved and washed. It's really horrible that they were in those situations to being with, but I'm addicted to the zoomies they have afterwards. I can just feel their relief.

i’ve seen one video before of a sheep someone found that had so much wool it could barely stand. they took it to get sheared and afterwards it looked so relieved and light. crazy to think that their wool can just grow so much.

and yeah, though you can’t keep videos in an album you can just put them on dvd’s or a vhs tape instead(probably)
NotYourKindOfPeople
In The Murder Scene
NotYourKindOfPeople
March 19th, 2024 at 09:31pm
So sick that dvds are on the come back now. Fuck the cloud.
vermin
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vermin
March 19th, 2024 at 09:34pm
brandleys;:
i just lack confidence, honestly
the last poem i submitted for workshop was decent enough; i worked intentionally with meter, slant rhyme, and phonemes, and it seemed well liked around the class
i haven't read yet their letters to me (we give each other critique letters after every workshop)

i need to submit 4 more poems for the semester, i have one done but i like to submit them in bulk

my ignorance is going to be on full display here but the only rhyme schemes i remember were like… haikus and limericks? T_T

its nice that the critique is given as a letter, i can appreciate that since it still gives you the option to not read it if you don’t want to.

do you get one letter or one from everyone in the workshop?
NotYourKindOfPeople
In The Murder Scene
NotYourKindOfPeople
March 19th, 2024 at 09:38pm
I studied so much slam and avant-garde poetry lol rhyme scheme who?
vermin
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vermin
March 19th, 2024 at 09:38pm
brandleys;:
i'm mainly thinking of creating a tibby photo album

so there's been difficulties in getting my new phone because of reasons that are stupid
but i think i'm having a hard time with it because i'd have to go without physical storage of my photos of her for a while and that gives me a heavy pit in my stomach
i'm probably being so damn inconvenient for the salesman and everyone else but... whatever

ah, would you have to trade in your older phone or something? i know there’s little kiosks here that you can go and print your photos straight from them at walmarts if you need a quick way to get them physically.

not sure on the pricing of them though, or how they work. if i see one soon i’ll let you know!
vermin
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vermin
March 19th, 2024 at 09:40pm
brandleys;:
i find my best poems are written when i'm not actually writing them
my favorite of mine, i wrote in my head on a walk
the only editing i did was in the punctuation afterwards

oo maybe start carrying one of those small notebooks with you? that way if you ever get another flash of poetic inspiration you can quickly jot them down.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 19th, 2024 at 09:44pm
vermin:
my ignorance is going to be on full display here but the only rhyme schemes i remember were like… haikus and limericks? T_T

its nice that the critique is given as a letter, i can appreciate that since it still gives you the option to not read it if you don’t want to.

do you get one letter or one from everyone in the workshop?

if you care, the explanation of whatever i said is in size 0 at the end of this

everyone is supposed to do letters, but the teacher is pretty lax, he just wants everyone to do 20 in the semester
i've admittedly been slacking

my teacher also gives everyone a letter for each poem they submit, not just for the ones they present for workshop

i like to read the letters i just haven't yet, i've forgotten and have this other class with all the research shit i have to do
also i never did my reflection, i went to bed, and then today got crazy, so i'm writing it now

so a slant rhyme is basically when words almost rhyme, they're also sometimes called near rhyme
ie i "rhymed" the words "zenith" and "beneath" in my most recent workshop poem, they don't rhyme but they seem to almost rhyme, if that makes sense

phonemes are just the sounds in english language
each of my stanzas had their own "theme" so i would try to repeat the phoneme as much as i could throughout the stanza

and then meter is like, the rhythm or pattern of stressed syllables
this one i tried to write in a trochee, which goes "STRESSED unstressed STRESSED unstressed"
an example of this is in Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven": ONCE uPON a MIDnight DREARy...
vermin
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vermin
March 19th, 2024 at 09:46pm
NotYourKindOfPeople:
I think I have a bad association with breeders and pure breeds. There are good breeders out there, but the general rule is that within a gene pool diversity creates the strongest result so I'll probably stick with mixed breed rescues my whole life.

probably a good idea, i never had a dog so i been thinking maybe a rescue would be the way to go. idk if i should get an older or younger dog.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 19th, 2024 at 09:50pm
vermin:
ah, would you have to trade in your older phone or something? i know there’s little kiosks here that you can go and print your photos straight from them at walmarts if you need a quick way to get them physically.

not sure on the pricing of them though, or how they work. if i see one soon i’ll let you know!

yeah i gotta trade it in
but i've been so busy this week between work and school, and the salesman had an emergency come up yesterday so we couldn't trade it off then
and then today he had personal things related to the emergency (i don't mean this as any shade on him at all! things happen and it just sucks that we haven't been able to find the time to work this phone thing out) so he was going to have people at the phone store just give me the new phone and transfer it but they wouldn't let us without him for some reason idk why, so we wasted a bunch of time today omg it was ridic
so he's coming over tomorrow morning to do it here before i leave for class
NotYourKindOfPeople
In The Murder Scene
NotYourKindOfPeople
March 19th, 2024 at 09:50pm
I mean the angelic thing to do is to be a foster home for older dogs, but I also understand wanting to raise a dog from a puppy and have the same companion for as long as possible. I don't know which I'll do.
vermin
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vermin
March 19th, 2024 at 10:00pm
brandleys;:
if you care, the explanation of whatever i said is in size 0 at the end of this

everyone is supposed to do letters, but the teacher is pretty lax, he just wants everyone to do 20 in the semester
i've admittedly been slacking

my teacher also gives everyone a letter for each poem they submit, not just for the ones they present for workshop

i like to read the letters i just haven't yet, i've forgotten and have this other class with all the research shit i have to do
also i never did my reflection, i went to bed, and then today got crazy, so i'm writing it now

sounds very busy indeed, did you already have March break?

ohhh! slant rhymes are called near rhymes here.. so like “has” and “mass”?

not quite sure what a phoneme is.. would it be like the “eze” in words like “ease”, “trees” and “freeze”?

neat, so meter is like an annunciation pattern.

poetry's real intricate, i really appreciate the explanation. thank you!
vermin
Thinking Happy Thoughts
vermin
March 19th, 2024 at 10:07pm
brandleys;:

so he's coming over tomorrow morning to do it here before i leave for class

yeah things not lining up can get frustrating for everyone involved. i had a similar issue with a dentist appointment not too long ago. -_-

its nice of him to come over and get it done for you though! the transfer process is pretty painless to my knowledge. though i’ve only really done it with iphones.
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 19th, 2024 at 10:09pm
vermin:
sounds very busy indeed, did you already have March break?

yeah that was the first week of march
luckily my other prof is going to be away first week of april so i'll get a day or two off then

vermin:
ohhh! slant rhymes are called near rhymes here.. so like “has” and “mass”?

not quite sure what a phoneme is.. would it be like the “eze” in words like “ease”, “trees” and “freeze”?

neat, so meter is like an annunciation pattern.

poetry's real intricate, i really appreciate the explanation. thank you!

yeah, those would be slant rhymes
i found my love for slant rhymes through Emily Dickinson
sometimes i find them more satisfying than actual rhymes so i like to use them too

sort of, more like the "ee" sound is a phoneme and "z" is its own phoneme
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 19th, 2024 at 10:10pm
vermin:
yeah things not lining up can get frustrating for everyone involved. i had a similar issue with a dentist appointment not too long ago. -_-

its nice of him to come over and get it done for you though! the transfer process is pretty painless to my knowledge. though i’ve only really done it with iphones.

yeah it's really easy, idk why i can't just do it myself tho lol
that would honestly, like... simplify this entire process so much lmao