Don't have an account? Create one!

Animal Testing/Abuse/cruelty

AuthorMessage
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 4th, 2008 at 12:40pm
xxWolvenPrincessxx:
That image is rather graphic, you should link it and put a warning.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 4th, 2008 at 01:15pm
Yes;Indeed;True:
I understand what you are saying here, but I still disagree with you. Zoos are fighting against nature. A habitat will never be provided to their liking. Primates in nature are given entire forests, not enclosures. Cages are no comparison to what birds are given in the wild.Predators are part of nature. People with animal cups and stuffed lemurs are not.

There have been numerous instances of zoos participating in animal neglect and cruelty by not giving animals adequate conditions to live in. Zoos don't always give animals everything they need to live.

Don't get the idea from this that I am a PETA supporter. While I believe the organization started out with good intentions, I think they haved turned into more of a business than anything that's main concern is the donations. The animals have been put second. I do still agree with the anti-zoo principal.

I can see where your coming from, but if youlook at how HUMANS are ruining the world, or not ruining, running the world then youd realize alot of animals would by now be dead if all the ones out in the all zoos were set free.

We wiped out so many species already, so yes it'd be nice to see animals run free, but like the prairie buffalo, we are just gonna take all of their land, then what will they do?

and with PETA, yes most of it has turned into a business, but there still are people who helps animals. I'm a part of PETA and to me it feels like I am doing something worth while
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 4th, 2008 at 02:08pm
My Dear Delirious:
and with PETA, yes most of it has turned into a business, but there still are people who helps animals. I'm a part of PETA and to me it feels like I am doing something worth while

But you don't work for PETA, as in, you're not an official employee.

I think I can honestly say that I hate PETA. PETA is a hypocritical organization that relies on terror propaganda to lure in younger kids. The fact that they compared animals to holocaust victims is disgusting to me. It's not the same thing at all. As Abraham Foxman said: "The effort by Peta to compare the deliberate systematic murder of millions of Jews to the issue of animal rights is abhorrent."

PETA is against the no kill movement and euthanizes the majority of animals that are given to them. It recommends euthanasia for certain breeds of animals, such as pit bull terriers.

Debra J. Saunders reported that, according to PETA "In 2003, PETA euthanized over 85 percent of the animals it took in, finding adoptive homes for just 14 percent." and "In 1991, after rescuing 18 rabbits and 14 roosters from a research facility,[90] PETA euthanized them because, they said, there was no room for them at their animal sanctuary. This was questioned by critics in view of PETA's budget for that year, which was over six million dollars."

U.S. Congressman Vin Weber, founder of the Congressional Animal Welfare Caucus, said he was troubled by what he saw as PETA's apparent lack of sincerity in opposing the euthanasia of the Silver Spring monkeys — PETA's application to take custody of the monkeys to prevent their euthanasia had just been rejected by the Supreme Court — while at the same time euthanizing other animals themselves.

The organization was criticized again in 2003 when Newkirk sent a letter to then-PLO leader Yasser Arafat in response to a Jerusalem bombing attack, in which a donkey was loaded with explosives and blown up. After being "bombarded with calls," according to a PETA spokesperson, Newkirk asked Arafat to appeal to those involved in the attacks to keep animals out of the conflict. When criticized for involving herself on behalf of the non-human victims only, Newkirk told the Washington Post: "It's not my business to inject myself into human wars."

Jeez, she's so right, why would a human want to solve a human conflict?

italicized information may or may not be true as it was taken from wikipedia.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
August 4th, 2008 at 04:54pm
Eponine:
Newkirk told the Washington Post: "It's not my business to inject myself into human wars."

Jeez, she's so right, why would a human want to solve a human conflict?

That's one thing I think is unfair of you to say. She feels that she doesn't want to involve herself with the human aspect of war, but would rather stand up for that animal. There's nothing wrong with that, whatever else she might have done that wasn't savory. You can't blame her for not wanting to do that. Not to mention we humans get ourselves into that garbage and the animal didn't have any control over it.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 4th, 2008 at 06:06pm
Chris Martin:

That's one thing I think is unfair of you to say. She feels that she doesn't want to involve herself with the human aspect of war, but would rather stand up for that animal. There's nothing wrong with that, whatever else she might have done that wasn't savory. You can't blame her for not wanting to do that. Not to mention we humans get ourselves into that garbage and the animal didn't have any control over it.

You're right about that, but she has made other statements saying things like even if one animal life could save a hundred human lives she would be against it.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 4th, 2008 at 06:55pm
I mean I'm apart of PETA in the sense of like I actively go on their website and support the majority of what they are doing. I don't agree with all their views though and do talk to them about it.

I don't believe everything they say, for me I just basically am a vegeterian who helps out at animal shelters, tries to help an animal in anyway possible and I actively particeipate in things agianst testing and cruelity.

But I realize PETA isn't perfect, no one s and I don't like the business aspects of PETA to much, but I believe they honestly are trying to help animals. I mean I'm not at all happy about them trying to get rid of like house pets and stuff, but if there is a real reason for them to euthensie an animal, its sad but I doubt that they would just give up on an animal. I mean I could be wrong, but then agian who really knows?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 4th, 2008 at 09:59pm
My Dear Delirious:
I mean I'm apart of PETA in the sense of like I actively go on their website and support the majority of what they are doing. I don't agree with all their views though and do talk to them about it.

I don't believe everything they say, for me I just basically am a vegeterian who helps out at animal shelters, tries to help an animal in anyway possible and I actively particeipate in things agianst testing and cruelity.

But I realize PETA isn't perfect, no one s and I don't like the business aspects of PETA to much, but I believe they honestly are trying to help animals. I mean I'm not at all happy about them trying to get rid of like house pets and stuff, but if there is a real reason for them to euthensie an animal, its sad but I doubt that they would just give up on an animal. I mean I could be wrong, but then agian who really knows?

Yeah, I understand that, didn't meant to jump on you or anything, I just really strongly disagree with the way PETA does things. Especially the euthanasia of animals. I mean they go around euthanizing most of the animals they 'rescue' but then they said they wouldn't do that to the silver spring monkeys? It all seems very sketchy to me.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 4th, 2008 at 10:15pm
Eponine:

Yeah, I understand that, didn't meant to jump on you or anything, I just really strongly disagree with the way PETA does things. Especially the euthanasia of animals. I mean they go around euthanizing most of the animals they 'rescue' but then they said they wouldn't do that to the silver spring monkeys? It all seems very sketchy to me.
you got me interested and I'm doing some research, and some of the statistics they stated I researched and most of them weren't true.

It might be that like meat companies and like franchieses decided that they could make up some stuff so people would still eat meat, but some of it is very sketchy, like their undercover "spies", I just realized how odd it kinda is if you wacth the videos they have
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 4th, 2008 at 11:35pm
Eponine:
You're right about that, but she has made other statements saying things like even if one animal life could save a hundred human lives she would be against it.
And what's so wrong with her saying that? That's how she feels and if that is what she actually stated, then at least she was being honest. She doesn't have to think the same way you do, irrespective of what majority of people believe.
xxWolvenPrincessxx
Joining The Black Parade
xxWolvenPrincessxx
August 5th, 2008 at 08:28am
Eponine:
That image is rather graphic, you should link it and put a warning.

I'm sorry about the image being so graphic but in reality dog fights are even more graphic. It makes no sence to me why someone would fight their dogs just to see one will survive. It's just not right.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
August 5th, 2008 at 08:47am
^That may be so, but you still need to link graphic images. Some people might be offended.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 5th, 2008 at 10:51am
Mindfuck:
And what's so wrong with her saying that? That's how she feels and if that is what she actually stated, then at least she was being honest. She doesn't have to think the same way you do, irrespective of what majority of people believe.

But she seems to think that everyone should think like that. If that's what she believes it's fine, but she's forcing that belief on a lot of people.
That's another problem I have with PETA, being a vegetarian or not is a personal choice, but they make it out to be "If you eat meat you're a terrible horrible person".
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
August 5th, 2008 at 05:29pm
Well if she was projecting that, then maybe she's being a little overdramatic, and I don't agree with wanting everyone to feel the same way. But it seems to me that she was just explaining her actions...
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
August 5th, 2008 at 05:59pm
My Dear Delirious:

I can see where your coming from, but if youlook at how HUMANS are ruining the world, or not ruining, running the world then youd realize alot of animals would by now be dead if all the ones out in the all zoos were set free.

We wiped out so many species already, so yes it'd be nice to see animals run free, but like the prairie buffalo, we are just gonna take all of their land, then what will they do?

Yes I do completely agree with you that captivity has caused problems with releasing animals into the wild, but there are better ways to do it than zoos. Animal rescue organizations for example have much bigger enclosures for their animals, and many are nonprofit so they don't worry about the business side to it as much as a zoo would. They also spend much more time trying to protect the homelands of the animals so that more wild ones can exist. If more people supported organizations like this that are trying to protect animal homelands,then there would not be such a need for zoos.

I'm glad that being a part of PETA makes you feel like you are doing something worth while. If more people stood up for what they believed in and tried to do things worth while,the world would be a better place. I'm glad you are standing up for you animal rights beliefs,despite if I disagree with the way you do it. You are dedicating your time to a cuase you believe in, and no one can argue with that.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 5th, 2008 at 06:24pm
Yes;Indeed;True:
Yes I do completely agree with you that captivity has caused problems with releasing animals into the wild, but there are better ways to do it than zoos. Animal rescue organizations for example have much bigger enclosures for their animals, and many are nonprofit so they don't worry about the business side to it as much as a zoo would. They also spend much more time trying to protect the homelands of the animals so that more wild ones can exist. If more people supported organizations like this that are trying to protect animal homelands,then there would not be such a need for zoos.
I honestly don't think zoos are that much of a problem if the animal is getting taken care of in a nonabusie enviroment, I mean I can't say if an animal is happy or not in a zoo, but they are safe and I'm for both animal rescue organizations and zoos, they both are for the animals, I think zoos are just more into also educating the poeple about why it is important to save the enviroment and part of that is by showing them these animals. So there maybe some cons but there are also pros
Ierosistible
Killjoy
Ierosistible
August 5th, 2008 at 06:35pm
I'm an animal. I'm owned by six. I'm a pet sitter. Animals are the biggest chunk of what defines me as a human being. I make judgement calls every day about whether or not to take on a client based on their care of their animals. I've even had to turn in some owners to have their animals removed from their care.

I'm not a huge fan of animal testing overall. We have computerized modeling and what not these days that can take the place of some of the medical testing. Cosmetic companies are not required to test their products on animals - yet many still do. It's unnecessary, for the most part.

We are animals, after all. I don't believe we're higher on the totem pole. Cruelty on any level is inexcusable. I don't wear fur and I've actually confronted people wearing fur to ask them if they know how their garment was made. I'm all for humane treatment.

That being said, I'm not a vegetarian and I don't support PETA. They are far too extreme for me. They've advocated that it's cruel to own pets, in the past. They've been busted for euthanising and trashing the bodies of numerous animals from the back of a van. They are so extreme they don't support honey or silk. I'm sorry but that's extreme. It's what those creatures do. Bees make honey. Silk worms make silk. I don't think we should be bashing baby seals and killing whales and other such nonsense, though, either. I don't agree with their views on eating meat either. I admire people who can do the vegetarian thing - I just can't, I've tried. I'd love to. But truly, bottom line, we're built to be omnivores. Dogs and cats are carnivores. These "complete" foods on the market that push grains for your pet, etc. - ridiculous. They're built to eat meat.

As you can see, I have differing view points on differing topics as far as this goes. Cruelty? Fail. Testing? Only if absolutely necessary. Eating meat? Personal choice. Having pets? Positive. Because without us, the animals we as a race have domesticated would not be able to function in the wild. Wolf hybrids? Interesting, but I don't agree with it. Zoos? I'm not very crazy about them, I don't believe a zoo can provide a proper environment for a wild animal. On the other hand, some of the animals we still have on the planet wouldn't be here if we didnt' intervene - which I think we have an obligation to do because we are the ones who are destroying their natural habitats.

I'll get off my soapbox now. I go on and on about these topics.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 5th, 2008 at 10:40pm
My Dear Delirious:
I honestly don't think zoos are that much of a problem if the animal is getting taken care of in a nonabusie enviroment, I mean I can't say if an animal is happy or not in a zoo, but they are safe and I'm for both animal rescue organizations and zoos, they both are for the animals, I think zoos are just more into also educating the poeple about why it is important to save the enviroment and part of that is by showing them these animals. So there maybe some cons but there are also pros

With animals, if they are unhappy they will let you know.
With the whole thing on a bigger environment, if an animal is born in captivity it doesn't know that it's 'natural' environment would be much larger, therefore it doesn't care.
I support both as well though. I think animals should be able to live in the wild with out humans taking away their environment, but animals living and breeding in zoos is fine to me.

Chris Martin:
Well if she was projecting that, then maybe she's being a little overdramatic, and I don't agree with wanting everyone to feel the same way. But it seems to me that she was just explaining her actions...

Yes, I suppose so. Twas not the best quote to choose, but I personally am just a tad disturbed that she cares so little for other humans. To me it seems like she feels that every human on earth could die but as long as all animals where fine it wouldn't matter to her. It's a bit unfair of me to single out her when it's really the whole organization that mostly does the stuff I dislike so much.
Firegarder
Joining The Black Parade
Firegarder
August 6th, 2008 at 03:01am
Ierosistible:

That being said, I'm not a vegetarian and I don't support PETA. They are far too extreme for me. They've advocated that it's cruel to own pets, in the past. They've been busted for euthanising and trashing the bodies of numerous animals from the back of a van. They are so extreme they don't support honey or silk. I'm sorry but that's extreme. It's what those creatures do. Bees make honey. Silk worms make silk. I don't think we should be bashing baby seals and killing whales and other such nonsense, though, either. I don't agree with their views on eating meat either. I admire people who can do the vegetarian thing - I just can't, I've tried. I'd love to. But truly, bottom line, we're built to be omnivores. Dogs and cats are carnivores. These "complete" foods on the market that push grains for your pet, etc. - ridiculous. They're built to eat meat.

I agree with pretty much everyone you've said.

Although, dog's (or wolves) are naturally omnivores, so it's not necessarily cruel to feed dogs on grains and that or even on a vegetarian diet. I wouldn't do that personally, because I can see in my dog's that they very obviously enjoy eating meat over everything else! But wolves eat meat when they can get it, and will supplement their diet with other things.

But Cats like you said MUST have meat in their diet, and giving them a vegetarian diet would be really cruel. They need to have a specific amino acid in their diet (I think it's Taurine) that their bodies can't build themselves, and you can only get this protein from eating meat, nowhere else. I'd be really shocked if I heard of someone giving a cat a vegetarian diet, but apparently it happens!
Ierosistible
Killjoy
Ierosistible
August 6th, 2008 at 09:26am
Firegarder:

Although, dog's (or wolves) are naturally omnivores, so it's not necessarily cruel to feed dogs on grains and that or even on a vegetarian diet. I wouldn't do that personally, because I can see in my dog's that they very obviously enjoy eating meat over everything else! But wolves eat meat when they can get it, and will supplement their diet with other things.

But Cats like you said MUST have meat in their diet, and giving them a vegetarian diet would be really cruel. They need to have a specific amino acid in their diet (I think it's Taurine) that their bodies can't build themselves, and you can only get this protein from eating meat, nowhere else. I'd be really shocked if I heard of someone giving a cat a vegetarian diet, but apparently it happens!

Agreed. I don't think it's cruel to feed canines grains, but these new pet foods like Beneful are full of garbage. Sugar, colourings, where the grains are in a larger quantity than the protein - that seems ridiculous to me. Yet so many people think oh, that's what I would eat, so it's good for my dog. Veggies are good, so I understand, my dogs love a good yard salad! it's the main ingredient in so many foods being ground corn and what not that grates me. That's what I mean, I should have been clearer.

You're absolutely right about cats - they're systems are really different. People do, unfortunately, feed their cats vegetarian diets. My cats would never eat vegetarian. They'd seriously revolt.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 6th, 2008 at 12:57pm
^Proteins aren't only found in meat. So it's perfectly fine to feed a mostly grain food to a dog. They are still getting plenty of nutrients.

Firegarder:

My cat is on a vegetarian diet. All the other foods that have meat in them, she is extremely allergic to. She gets painful sores in her mouth and her lips puff up. So I don't think it's cruel to put my cat on a special diet. She still gets the same nutrients. With the amino acid, I'm sure they put that into the food. I don't believe that there are any amino acids that you can only get from meat, but I'm not sure about that.