Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
Adora Angel
In The Murder Scene
Adora Angel
December 22nd, 2006 at 10:28pm
Music has a big influence on kids, hence why parents blame music and artists for it. I don't believe it's pathetic, it's somewhat true actually; it depends on the person. I know people who listen to that rap stuff, watch the videos, and want to do some of the things on the video because the artist did it. Pathetic I know, but it's the need to fit in and be one with the crowd.

So a song may not tell you to do something, but it can have a major influence on you. Like how MCR has a big influence on a lot of their fans, for them to better themselves or do something with their lives. It really depends on the person who listens to the music.

And a lot of parents feel they don't reach to their children, like the music they listen too does. Therefore, they point their fingers and blame the artists.
Kayla!
Joining The Black Parade
Kayla!
December 23rd, 2006 at 02:40am
It's possible. Music is an influence to some things, not really actions, but maybe thoughts? I don't know. XD
For example, someone who listens to metal or emo music most likely has a grim outlook on life, someone who listens to pop or techno has a peppy personality...blah blah blah.
JustASadSong.
Jazz Hands
JustASadSong.
December 23rd, 2006 at 02:46am
Music is never to blame.

It's not like the artist set out to make people do drugs, or buy guns or even kill themselves.

Music helps people realize whats inside of them and what there true potential is. It's that persons choice as to what music they want to listen to so they already kind of know what they are in for because of the genre of the music.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
December 23rd, 2006 at 03:23am
Captain W. Spanky:
I think music is rarely to blame for people's behaviour and actions. Sure, some lyrics can have strong affects on people, but so do TV shows, movies and books.

And I doubt any parent is going to blame a book for their child's acts.

xxx

amen. parents seem to have a catorizing(sp?) sytem of what media is good for their kid, and what is bad.

They will blame music and TV shows for violence, drugs, suicide etc but they will never blame a book. They probably say that English Literature is good for the brain.

If a parent sees a famous book, such as the story version of Romeo and Juliet, in which every dies, gets shot or kills themselves, they would think 'At least they're reading Shakespheare, not watching blood-and-gore filled cartoon.'

I dont get it.
Slacker
Killjoy
Slacker
December 23rd, 2006 at 03:50pm
Violence, people say music encourages violence. I disagree.
Adora Angel
In The Murder Scene
Adora Angel
December 23rd, 2006 at 05:06pm
Kazzy:
amen. parents seem to have a catorizing(sp?) sytem of what media is good for their kid, and what is bad.

They will blame music and TV shows for violence, drugs, suicide etc but they will never blame a book. They probably say that English Literature is good for the brain.

If a parent sees a famous book, such as the story version of Romeo and Juliet, in which every dies, gets shot or kills themselves, they would think 'At least they're reading Shakespheare, not watching blood-and-gore filled cartoon.'

I dont get it.

A book does not reach a child like music does. People have better relationships with a song than with a book, and parents blame music. As well as television also.
Adora Angel
In The Murder Scene
Adora Angel
December 23rd, 2006 at 05:06pm
Black jumper boy:
ohhhh how does it encourage violence?
what about the 'im a barbie girl' song?
how does that encourage violence?
ha

It was a concern that Aqua was degrading the image of Barbie as sexual, and who plays with Barbies? Little girls.
Leesah Liability
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Leesah Liability
December 23rd, 2006 at 05:41pm
I believe that in some cases, it music is a big factor.
Think about the younger kids who wouldn't know any better.
If they got hold of a CD from a band, fell in love with it, and really took it seriously, that could end badly.
I don't think people should be making as big a deal of it as they are, however.
There are much worse issues we could be focusing on instead of trying to blame the music.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
December 23rd, 2006 at 06:29pm
Atari__:
Kazzy:

I dont get it.

A book does not reach a child like music does. People have better relationships with a song than with a book, and parents blame music. As well as television also.

i beg to differ. take a look at scientology, books can influence people just as much as music. it's pretty obvious that Hubbard was full of it, but people still believe everything he wrote.
nirvanaXparanoid
Bleeding on the Floor
nirvanaXparanoid
December 24th, 2006 at 12:01pm
well i suppose if ALL a kid listens to is a glamorized view of murdering and/or drug abuse and/or self harm and their PARENTS (as many have said) don't tell them any different, (EX: Son, its wrong to kill. Just know that. *or something to that effect) and the kid's friends all have glamorized views of doing such things
then that kid will think, "Oh, there's nothing wrong with it. Its a "beautiful thing" or its "cool"." So its partly the parents fault for not teaching their kid right in the first place.
And the media doesn't help either.
Adora Angel
In The Murder Scene
Adora Angel
December 24th, 2006 at 02:13pm
supervegan;;fairyfay:
i beg to differ. take a look at scientology, books can influence people just as much as music. it's pretty obvious that Hubbard was full of it, but people still believe everything he wrote.

But we're talking about teenagers today, as far as I'm concern a parent would much rather have their child read a book then listen to the music they find harmful.
nirvanaXparanoid
Bleeding on the Floor
nirvanaXparanoid
December 24th, 2006 at 02:41pm
Atari__:
supervegan;;fairyfay:

But we're talking about teenagers today, as far as I'm concern a parent would much rather have their child read a book then listen to the music they find harmful.

but also look at the music that they listened to. Their parents must have been freaking out way more than our parents do about our music today.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
December 24th, 2006 at 04:05pm
All media affects people in some way.

Everything we do has a consequence.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
December 24th, 2006 at 05:35pm
Atari__:
supervegan;;fairyfay:

i never denied that, i actually agree with you. i'm just saying that literature can influence people as strongly as lyrics.
lonergirl007
Killjoy
lonergirl007
December 24th, 2006 at 07:21pm
i think that is what causes chilldren to do those things, the parents are just way to hard on them adding to the fact they dont support them. also we as kids, teens, adults have the right to pick and appreciate our own style of music. some might lead to these actions but what triggers kids to pull the trigger, or buy a gun, or doing drugs allways start with their surroundings including the parents themselfs
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
December 28th, 2006 at 12:37pm
I don't think music can truly reflect someone's actions, and this also include people who say 'This band's music saved my life'.

You make your own decisions to do things. The music itself does not tell you to act out in public, beat someone up or murder, and music does not tell you to not kill yourself. Music induces certain emotions depending on the sound, causing the human emotion to react in different ways. Violent thrash metal isn't obviously 'happy music' or something, but it doesn't necissarily tell you to kick someone's ass.
nirvanaXparanoid
Bleeding on the Floor
nirvanaXparanoid
December 28th, 2006 at 01:36pm
xMari_Malicex:
I don't think music can truly reflect someone's actions, and this also include people who say 'This band's music saved my life'.

well, the "idea" of a band "saving someone's life" is that you have a kid who gets teased at school, has a terrible home life, or is just completely misunderstood and give him a band who went through the same things that kid is going through, the kid begins to feel understood by somebody and it can indeed help a kid through a lot of stuff. It can even save their life, i suppose.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
December 28th, 2006 at 02:19pm
I can see where you're coming from there. However, music itself will not save you. Just as music probably won't make you commit suicide either. You choose to kill or not to kill yourself. You make your own decisions. Music is simply there for entertainment purposes, and will perhaps bring out certain emotions in someone more than the other, just because the human body is changed so easily by the sound of music.
MCR-is-saving-mylife
Killjoy
MCR-is-saving-mylife
December 28th, 2006 at 06:34pm
well most of the time i think its the parents who should be blamed, they might not treat their kids right or dont talk to them about drugs or any of that. but i do know some people who do try to act like their idols, like ozzy ozborn, and other singers. and parents coule be just trying to find something to blame besides themselves.
nirvanaXparanoid
Bleeding on the Floor
nirvanaXparanoid
December 28th, 2006 at 06:45pm
trust me im not okay:
well most of the time i think its the parents who should be blamed, they might not treat their kids right or dont talk to them about drugs or any of that. but i do know some people who do try to act like their idols, like ozzy ozborn, and other singers. and parents coule be just trying to find something to blame besides themselves.

not trying to sound anal, or like a bitch, but it's Osbourne
i know that's completely off topic, but i feel if you mention somebody in an "debate" you should spell their name right...