Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
Freddy
Always Born a Crime
Freddy
June 9th, 2006 at 04:59pm
you hear of parents blaming music for their childs actions all the time.
eg marilyn manson was blamed for drugs
eminem was blamed for young people getting guns
ozzy osbourne (and lots of others) blamed for young people committing suicide.

what are you opinions on this?
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 9th, 2006 at 05:03pm
I honestly think that in 9/10 cases, the parents are to blame.

If you raise your kid right, he/she will know better than to do drugs, kill people or commit suicide.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 9th, 2006 at 05:12pm
Music has a huge impact upon peoples lives.
Some people live for music. It keeps some people sane. It gives people reason to hope, sometimes.

Who is to say it won't go the other way?

Music can do bad things, too. Its a powerful form of propaganda when used wrongly.

I believe it all depends on the person. It can be a catalyst, yes, but music is what you make of it and never soley to blame.
SuperBecky2410
Salute You in Your Grave
SuperBecky2410
June 9th, 2006 at 05:21pm
I think the people who let music influence them in a negative way...then they're just stupid. "If you play this record backward in super-fast speed, it says my name and keeps saying kill yourself, so I will." What's wrong with people? It makes me mad when people do that, saying that music tells them to kill themselves. It just screws up another thing that people have to get them out of the dumps; bastards, LEAVE MUSIC OUT OF IT!
st.watsername
Killjoy
st.watsername
June 9th, 2006 at 05:41pm
i dont think they should blame the music,
i think it should be more of the parents
consern to think 'what did i didnt do for
my kid to make him, shoot someone,
kill himself, or do drugs?' and if parents
think that if they talk to their kids about
drugs, suicide, or weapons, and think that
they wont do it because they talk to them
well what they should do is listen to their kids
and hear them out, i know a lot of kids who
would like to voice their opinions to there
parents but they cant because their parents
tune them out, and how they say that metal
is the root of the worlds problems, well did
they ever think that maybe they write
those lyrics because of the worlds problems?

the point is people should listen and not blame
somebody else who is in the music industry
for their kids choice they should just
find out why that kid made that choice and listen to them
Im a Crazy Bitch
Jazz Hands
Im a Crazy Bitch
June 9th, 2006 at 06:48pm
ok to me the music is not to blame most of the time its the parents fault, or pressure not the music because people can listen to gospel and still do drugs and still kill people and still commit suicide.
Mary; Without Sound
Salute You in Your Grave
Mary; Without Sound
June 9th, 2006 at 08:41pm
Sure it’s easy to just blame stuff like that on music, television video game..ect. But most of the time it much deeper then that. Lack of disabling in schools, bad parenting and so much more is at fault. Honesty if the kid is stupid enough to go and shot someone because he heard it in a song or do drugs his favorite artist does it them, then the parents aren’t really raising there kids right!!!!
ByeHalyconDays
Bleeding on the Floor
ByeHalyconDays
June 9th, 2006 at 09:25pm
Blaming music is just a way for the parents to take the blame off of themselves.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
June 9th, 2006 at 10:28pm
I really cannot stand it when parents or anyone blames the music for which their child listens to.

If the child is sensible and mature, then they shouldn't be impacted in such a way.
I've been influenced a lot by music, but my choices haven't.

I'm not going to go start drinking alcohol, because my favourite band do that too often.
I'm not going to try drugs because of band members in bands I like have.

That's just ridiculous.
teh Paigerzzz!
Fabulous Killjoy
teh Paigerzzz!
June 9th, 2006 at 11:36pm
bleh,
i hate it when people blame music.
when i told my parents i was suicidal,
they immediately told me no black and no music.
i was like pffffft yeah right.
but i'm ok now and nothing has changed...
i agree, if anything, blame the parents.
boo for parents...
or at least mine.
Other.
Bleeding on the Floor
Other.
June 9th, 2006 at 11:38pm
Only weak willed people would let music influence them like that. Saying music made a kid do drugs or shoot people is stupid. There are much larger factors than music. Like the parents.
xFireAtWillx
Thinking Happy Thoughts
xFireAtWillx
June 10th, 2006 at 12:22am
Sometimes, it really isnt the parents fault. They didnt tell their kid to shoot themselves or any of that. And its DEFINITELY NOT the musics fault. I dunno, maybe they didnt pay enough attention to their kid to know something was wrong. All I know for sure is, its not the music or the parents. All the parents really need to do, is open their effing eyes and realize, its not the music!
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
June 10th, 2006 at 02:51am
starcrossedlovers:
Blaming music is just a way for the parents to take the blame off of themselves.

My point exactly.
cocaine.
Shotgun Sinner
cocaine.
June 10th, 2006 at 03:52am
I don't think that blaming music is nesssecary. I don't think that parents are to blame as well. It seems a little harsh that you would blame the parents if a kid commits suicide.

Apparently, because of the music a child listens to, they're depressed. It could be a lot of things that they're depressed about. School, family life, bullying... things like that.

I do have to say though, the fashion in music today has influenced a lot of young girls. Like my sister.
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
June 10th, 2006 at 06:36am
Society needs a scapegoat because people cannot accept that it's their own fault. They just blame music because they don't want to think that maybe everything is just a result of their own mistakes. It was ridiculous when people said Rammstein were partially responsable for the Columbine massacre. I've been a fan of the band ever since I was a child and still their music never made me want to go out and shoot someone. And that's just one example.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
June 10th, 2006 at 08:02am
Music keeps people sane. Music makes people insane.
But it's a trigger for the things you do, not a cause. There has to be something there to make you feel how you do in the first place. Music is how you interpret it, and if you want to interpret it in a way that makes you want to kill yourself/do drugs/play with guns/whatever, thats society's fault (ie your parents, your friends, school teachers, etc) for not helping you if you asked for help.
What about TV? It's the same deal. Just coz you saw someone smoke on TV, are you gonna go out and start smoking? Do people complain about it being shown?
Probably not.
Why?
And why should music be any different?
schizophrenic_cat
Salute You in Your Grave
schizophrenic_cat
June 10th, 2006 at 04:15pm
I think it's pathetic that people blame music and other froms of mass media for people going insane ... or doing drugs/shooting people etc...
It's like that old saying ... if he were to jump off a cliff would you?
Parents just don't want to feel guilty ... they want to feel like they've done a good job in bringing their kids up .. even though they haven't ...
Mass Media just reflects society ... slightly exagerated (sp?) of course ... but still .. that's something for the next person who blames music for something bad should think about ...
alex disappeared
Shotgun Sinner
alex disappeared
June 10th, 2006 at 04:18pm
Yara:

If you raise your kid right, he/she will know better than to do drugs, kill people or commit suicide.
That's so right. Music might be blamed, but it really depends on how the kid grew up.
Feel What You Feel.
Bleeding on the Floor
Feel What You Feel.
June 11th, 2006 at 09:27pm
I admit it, I make choices based off music. But good choices. I would never do drugs or anything because I've seen what people in the music industry (like Gerard) have done and all their consequences. My mom doesn't even want me to talk about drugs, but if talking about them helps me make the decision not to do them, then why not? Parents shouldn't blame the music because it's not the music's fault, it's their own, and they should deal with it and stop blaming it on music.
rhiaCYANIDE
Bleeding on the Floor
rhiaCYANIDE
June 11th, 2006 at 10:11pm
--Yara--:

Exactly!

If you raise your child to act right inside and outside of your household you're doing fine.

No one is possessing your child to do anything, your child is acting on it's own.

If everything bad a kid does was based the music world would be done.

AND! There is Parental Advisory on the CD when you buy it.

95% of the time Parents buy their kids CD's.

So if you don't like what your kid is listening to, Check the labels and don't buy it if you don't like it.

'Cause then you don't have anything to blame it on but yourselves.