Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
December 13th, 2006 at 11:37am
I know Marilyn Manson is blamed for alot of kids commiting sucide. That's no true, that's there choice. My Chemical Romance has saved me not made me kill myself.
Mr.Tom
Jazz Hands
Mr.Tom
December 14th, 2006 at 03:10am
Music has nothing to do with it, If I was going to attempt it but I felt a pull saying "WTF you doing" then I would put music on: Hawthorne Heights, MCR, Slipknot, Fall Out Boy...
loveneverwantedme
Killjoy
loveneverwantedme
December 14th, 2006 at 09:53am
ok tell me if this sounds funny

"My dog made my friend commit suicide"

does that make sense. . . i didnt think so, therefore blaming music for slitting your wrists is just stupid
MusicalMueth
Killjoy
MusicalMueth
December 14th, 2006 at 12:03pm
I think music def. effects the persons way of thinking, but I don't think it's to blame for stupid actions. Everyone was given self control. Music is just another scapegoat to make people feel better.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
December 14th, 2006 at 06:06pm
My view is that music doesn't make you think a certain way, but it does exaggerate it. I think you're likely drawn to the music because of certain views you share with it, but if you're constantly exposed to it, you're going to feel more strongly that way. But I think that in most cases, you aren't constantly exposed to it, so you don't end up like that.
Nikkilodeon
Bleeding on the Floor
Nikkilodeon
December 14th, 2006 at 08:02pm
i highly disagree with the whole music made me do this because if anything when im feeling like i just want to die i turn on music and it complete turns that around i feel like well maybe its not so bad and i can live on or whatever if anything music is an expression i mean if you here someone listening to like underoath or something you are probably gonna asume they are pretty mad or somethings up
XxXImXxXNotXxXOkay_
Killjoy
XxXImXxXNotXxXOkay_
December 14th, 2006 at 09:44pm
Parents blamed music! HA! I want them to look at themselves! Odds are it's the parents fault! And music more or less saves people, and donsn't kill them! Thats what happend with my friend

And my dad says: Music is a valadation on how people feel, If you feel bad...Then your gonna listen to something that Goes with that, If your angry...Then your going to listen to angry music...Aperntly we make him listen to pantera....Other way around in truth...
we're pretty. odd.
Always Born a Crime
we're pretty. odd.
December 15th, 2006 at 05:42am
I think music is rarely to blame for people's behaviour and actions. Sure, some lyrics can have strong affects on people, but so do TV shows, movies and books.

And I doubt any parent is going to blame a book for their child's acts.

xxx
Beast And The Harlot
Salute You in Your Grave
Beast And The Harlot
December 15th, 2006 at 06:06am
Yeh i agree...usually the music saves you, not makes you think, oh this song is about slitting wrists so i might go and slit my wrists. I mean whenever im depressed, or more like in a shitty mood, i go and put on my music and it makes me feel alot better.

In my opinion parents are to blame!
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
December 15th, 2006 at 08:48am
sigh.
the parents probably are to blame, but for some reason in the past few years, i've sort of realized where they're coming from. they probably realize deep down that it's their fault, but the guilt would consume them if they let it, so they blame something else. that doesn't make it right, but that's how it is.

that having been said, i still think it's rediculous. there are parents who will blame things they don't like--i have a friend whose mother thinks rise against is making her angry and suicidal. rise against, with lyrics such as "let's take this one day at a time, i'll hold your hand if you hold mine. the time that we kill keeps us alive" and "if love is a labor i'll slave til the end. i won't cross these streets until you hold my hand." this woman is okay with ashlee simpson though, with lyrics like "i like it better when it hurts", and "i'll be your french maid."

she just blames rock music and the things associated with it. she's also convinced that my chemical romance "tells people to kill people". yeah.
xxLockxx
Jazz Hands
xxLockxx
December 15th, 2006 at 11:03am
My parents think Dark music is the reason for suicide. Which is wrong. The kids that call themselves 'emos' listen to the music and they tend to be the kids who commit sucide. They are stereotyping rock.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
December 15th, 2006 at 08:44pm
supervegan;;fairyfay:
The parents probably are to blame, but for some reason in the past few years, I've sort of realized where they're coming from. They probably realize deep down that it's their fault, but the guilt would consume them if they let it, so they blame something else. That doesn't make it right, but that's how it is.

That having been said, I still think it's rediculous.

I find it funny that in this thread, people are willing to concede that everyone has freedom of choice and freedom of thought, and adamantly state that something which can potentially alter the way you think or see things is totally innocent, yet, everyone is so quick to judge and place the entirety of the blame on parents.

I have seen posts claiming that music is not the one pulling the triggor, or slitting a wrist, or making you swallow those pills.

But the same thing can be said of parents, no? They are NOT pulling the triggor, or slitting your wrist, or making you swallow those pills.

They are trying to find a reason for the behavior of the ones they love, trying to understand.

They can only see what you do and what could possibly influence you, not what goes on in your head or why you think the way you do, so, naturally, if your music screams bloods guts n' gore, what are they going to suspect when you become infatuated with those very topics?

That having been said, I do believe that music can be a martyr to parents, but by saying that parents are entirely to blame for their children's behavior while getting angry at the parents for saying something similar of music, it is not only uninformed, but hypocritical.

Your parents made you, raised you, loved you and taught you. But they are not you, and they cannot be judged as responsible for your actions after you are a coherent, sentient being of reasonable maturity.

Suicide and self harm, murders and rape, violence in general can never be blamed on anyone other than the person commiting the crimes in the first place.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
December 15th, 2006 at 10:00pm
in a lot of cases, it is their fault. dude, two of the only people who can bring me low enough to really, really want to hurt myself are my parents. i know all about guilt, i know all about wanting to martyr someone/something else.

we can carry our parents on our backs our whole lives and never repay the debt. i appreciate everything my parents have done, but there are some things i have a really hard time forgiving them for. when someone means that much to you, the words they say and the things they do can hurt you so, so badly.
makemearedcape
Killjoy
makemearedcape
December 16th, 2006 at 04:32am
A song could influence you to die.
Just like a sign on a wall could influence you to do drugs.
Just like plastic bag might make you want to suffocate yourself.
Just like a dog might make you want to play with it.
Just like the colour purple could make you feel sick.

Everything's due to a choice. Everything's due to a reaction.
I just think it's stupid to say "oh yes <insert thing here> is the reason why my Johnny did drugs and killed himself".
People love to blame things when things go wrong, but in the end...does anyone really know what was going on in the mind of the person who killed themself?
Blaming music is like blaming the thing in the box that you can't see. You don't know what it is, but you SUSPECT it's bad.

<3makemearedcape
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
December 16th, 2006 at 12:04pm
a lot of the time it has to do with a parent's preferences.
i've never heard a parent blaming johnny cash ["i shot a man in reno just to watch him die"]
i've never heard a parent blame the who ["my love is vengeance that's never free"]
i've never heard a parent blame don mclean ["but i could have told you vincent, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you"]
Roonil Wazlib
Motor Baby
Roonil Wazlib
December 16th, 2006 at 12:42pm
I think that it's a little bit of everything.

Personally I think that it's a bit wrong to say that it's ALL the parents fault or ALL music's fault. Those could be some factors in it, but really it comes down to kid. It's their fault for choosing what they chose.

Sure, parents and music could maybe POINT the kid in a direction, but it doesn't make the choices for the kid.
Franktastic.
Bleeding on the Floor
Franktastic.
December 16th, 2006 at 07:15pm
people who blame music for the actions of others are just pathetic. even if a song told you to slitt your wrist, jump of a cliff or hang ur self up, it's upto you, it's thata person's decision to do that, and a song won't decide for you.
people who blames music were just scared to admitt it to their selfves that it's their fault.
punkfreak666
Killjoy
punkfreak666
December 20th, 2006 at 09:46pm
Bye hi, umm..I really don't agree with parents blaming music in changing us kids/teens....whatever we listen to its up to us to believe it or not and take it whatever way we want!
~$tHe FoRgOtTeN gIrL~$
PunkerThanThou
Thinking Happy Thoughts
PunkerThanThou
December 20th, 2006 at 09:55pm
My mom blames my "depression" and "nastiness" from a Green Day concert over a year ago, when I barely listen to them anymore.

It's their way of saying that they failed, sometimes, so they blame it on the thing their kid loves most...I don't know, that's just my situation- music if anything got me into an amazing place in life- parents are part of another generation, they don't 100% understand how much kids love and embrace music in a good way.
Shayna;Vengeance
Salute You in Your Grave
Shayna;Vengeance
December 20th, 2006 at 10:11pm
bloodredruby69:
supervegan;;fairyfay:
The parents probably are to blame, but for some reason in the past few years, I've sort of realized where they're coming from. They probably realize deep down that it's their fault, but the guilt would consume them if they let it, so they blame something else. That doesn't make it right, but that's how it is.

That having been said, I still think it's rediculous.

I find it funny that in this thread, people are willing to concede that everyone has freedom of choice and freedom of thought, and adamantly state that something which can potentially alter the way you think or see things is totally innocent, yet, everyone is so quick to judge and place the entirety of the blame on parents.

I have seen posts claiming that music is not the one pulling the triggor, or slitting a wrist, or making you swallow those pills.

But the same thing can be said of parents, no? They are NOT pulling the triggor, or slitting your wrist, or making you swallow those pills.

They are trying to find a reason for the behavior of the ones they love, trying to understand.

They can only see what you do and what could possibly influence you, not what goes on in your head or why you think the way you do, so, naturally, if your music screams bloods guts n' gore, what are they going to suspect when you become infatuated with those very topics?

That having been said, I do believe that music can be a martyr to parents, but by saying that parents are entirely to blame for their children's behavior while getting angry at the parents for saying something similar of music, it is not only uninformed, but hypocritical.

Your parents made you, raised you, loved you and taught you. But they are not you, and they cannot be judged as responsible for your actions after you are a coherent, sentient being of reasonable maturity.

Suicide and self harm, murders and rape, violence in general can never be blamed on anyone other than the person commiting the crimes in the first place.

i would have to agree with you on that. it is that person's choice to do so in the first place. parents are trying to find what is making you do such a thing, deep down they do love you and are going to be there for you.