Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
KeY_tO_cHaOs
Jazz Hands
KeY_tO_cHaOs
June 25th, 2006 at 04:35pm
They shouldn't blame the music.
It depends how much the person listlens to it and how the person thinks of it. You can listlen to emo-rock and take it the good way (Like that all the euphanisms that talk about death aren't about death itself) Or you can get lost in the music and go through a phase and take the lyrics the bad way.

I hope I made a point.
Number 0.05
Joining The Black Parade
Number 0.05
June 25th, 2006 at 10:39pm
dont get me wrong what i said earlier i am in NO WAY blaming the music of pantera for dimes death , He's one of my heroes.
its just how people take the music, but if gale's (may he be burning in utter pain in his afterlife evil bastard) mother had have said "look stop listening to pantera" instead of letting the nutcase go to a damageplan concert even though she KNEW he had intentions then dime would still be here.
sometimes when people get the wrong message its better for parents to intervene.
i mean there was that kid on myspace, he was obsessed with senses fail and took thier music the wrong way and killed himself.
i think if its affecting the person in a negative way ,which it can. someone has to step in and take that obsession away from them.
i thankfully am not and dont know anyone in that position but if someone close to me got in that situation where it affects them badly I'D step in.
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
June 30th, 2006 at 11:52am
My Parents say if i didnt listen to rock music i would be more "normal". Music has done alot for me. the kind i listen to is easy to relate to. My parents are starting to get over the fact i listento music by Manson and Diru and Pantera. and honestly, its not just rock music. everyone blames rock music. rap is about the same things, if not WORSE. guns, sex, and killing people. i never see people complain about rap music.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
June 30th, 2006 at 11:58am
new jersey:
everyone blames rock music. rap is about the same things, if not WORSE. guns, sex, and killing people. i never see people complain about rap music.

Well said.

I think the reason people say it's "rock's fault", rather than rap, is because they feel intimidated more by rock stars. I mean, a lot of people are scared of Manson, Dimebag, etc, but there are very few people who feel as intimidated by Eminem or 50 Cent because they look more "normal" and socially acceptable than most rockstars do.
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
June 30th, 2006 at 12:26pm
then again, music (rap) can be blamed for things like teen pregnancy and getting arrested and such. when you turn on MTV whats the first thing you (usually) see? slutty girls dancing around in a strip club while the rapper sings about sex. girls want to be like that. guys want to be "players' and cheat on their girlfriends and have girls hanging off them like we're accesories. its giving off the wrong message. teens might have sex cause the rappers make it sound so cool and fun and "in". guys are walking around with guns and shooting people and wearing baggy clothes and hanging out in gangs in music videos while rapping about shooting people. some people might actually do it. that gets them arrested.

sex sells. its what's cool. in cases like this, the music really is to blame.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
June 30th, 2006 at 12:32pm
But the only reason sex is used in music videos is because it sells. If violence sold a video, then it would be used.
You can't say it's the music's fault in this case, it's the videos fault. It is how the media portrays the song, not what the song is.
If you had never seen the video for one of these songs and heard it on the radio, you couldn't say "oh it was that song [insert name] that made the girl next door have sex" or whatever.
The video is seperate from the music.

And another thing, Johnny Cash, for example, had planty of songs about drugs and all sorts of other things. Was he ever blamed for people doing drugs? No. Why? Because he is considered a legend and he is respected. Why, then, are bands who may be legends in the future different?
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
June 30th, 2006 at 12:46pm
well, yes thats true. the songs arent forcing you to do those things. its the person who took the the lyrics to heart's fault.
Cannibalistic.
Jazz Hands
Cannibalistic.
July 2nd, 2006 at 02:26am
I don't belive its the music. I belive its the people around the person being influenced.

If the person who commited suicide was around people who tourtured them, told thim they were screwed up, that they were a disgrace, etc. It was their fault that the person commited suicide. Not the music they listened to. If they like that music, WHOO! Listen to it, wear the shirts, wave your musical flag.

If the person who shot another was in a gang, or a group telling them to do so, Emenim, Nelly, etc. wasn't the one who told them to. Or maybe they needed help on their Anger on the person. You'd have to get into their head.

If ther person has a hold of drugs, and infulenced by saying its Cool, and makes you feel better inside, boom, their probably do it to fit in. Esoecially if they wanna be that persons friend.

Like somone somewhere said their daughter had become a stripper from a Britany Spears song. -I think it was Hit Me Baby One More time, Played Backwards.- Well, maybe she WANTED to be a stripper... i accually have a friend who wants to be a stripper, becuase she loves her body. I dunno, I don't gett he point, but that besides the fact.

I apologize if this turns out to be huge. X_x
kirstin
Salute You in Your Grave
kirstin
July 2nd, 2006 at 10:20am
I don't think music should be able to influence people to do things like that.
If it's going to negatively influence them, they shouldn't be listening to it, should they?
reckless decadence.
Salute You in Your Grave
reckless decadence.
July 2nd, 2006 at 11:18am
I think it's just another way for parents to keep insisting they're the best. I screw up something, my parents threaten to break every CD I own. I told my mom I was suicidal, and she tried threatening therapy, and taking away the music that was keeping me alive anyway. It's weird.
Detention Boy.
Shotgun Sinner
Detention Boy.
July 3rd, 2006 at 01:35pm
Music reflects the soiciety we live in, so i don't think it's strange that the society is fighting back by claiming music is corrupting their children.

personally, music has a great impact on my life, like it does on milions of other teenagers and that's perfectly normal. music defines my apparel and sometimes even sets my moods, but i'm too strong of a charatcer to let it rule my life. i certainly won't run around doing drugs and hurting myself cuz i listen to the kind of music society thinks is corrupting youn minds. and it is a general stereotype that every living rock star or all of the metal and punk bands do drugs and alcohol, isn't it?

maybe our parents don't have the strenght to admit that they are the ones who had screwed us up....
madame angst
Salute You in Your Grave
madame angst
July 3rd, 2006 at 01:39pm
My mom thinks like that. She thinks MCR and the other bands I listen to are making me insane.
Just because of how they look.
I think she thinks I listen to some sort of metal/devil-praising thing.
It annoys me. She doesn't know how much the music means to me. Neutral
Detention Boy.
Shotgun Sinner
Detention Boy.
July 3rd, 2006 at 01:42pm
music was always one of the more important part of the human life, even cave men loved music!

it expresses our feelings and thoughts and our beliefs, but there are exceptions that make the rest of the teenagers who listen to this kind of music look suicidal and addicted.
when jess was young
Really Not Okay
when jess was young
July 3rd, 2006 at 01:47pm
I think that music in a way can keep people sane
I dont think music has anything to do with commiting suicide or getting a gun or anything else.
death by plane;
Killjoy
death by plane;
July 7th, 2006 at 08:54pm
For the most part, it's entirely wrong to only blame music.
Yes, music is a huge factor in some peoples' lives.
But, there may be more important things that help someone choose how they live their life.
Plus, I doubt that most kids even understand what they're listening to.
pouring*crimson*regret
Jazz Hands
pouring*crimson*regret
July 9th, 2006 at 12:32am
my opinion is that in most cases, the music inst to blame. i had a friend who was going through a tough time and the music that she listened (mcr, the used, ppl like that) to helped her through it. but then she started cutting and her mom found out. her mom of course blamed the music because of how much death they talk about. but now my friend is even wors off because the music helped her feel better, not worse. and i know for a fact the the reason why she was cutting was her family.
Furthermore;
Joining The Black Parade
Furthermore;
July 9th, 2006 at 07:48am
.Melodramatic.:
My mom thinks like that. She thinks MCR and the other bands I listen to are making me insane.
Just because of how they look.
I think she thinks I listen to some sort of metal/devil-praising thing.
It annoys me. She doesn't know how much the music means to me. Neutral

My mum's excatly the same. my whole family is.
They hate that im not turning out the way they want me to and there trying to blame my music. they just dont understand.
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
July 9th, 2006 at 09:53am
Everyone thinks I'm crazy because of the music I listen to.
I'm not.
One-X.
Bleeding on the Floor
One-X.
July 9th, 2006 at 05:31pm
As some people said, I think is a kids does something the parents should be blamed. If you raise your child right then they won't grow up to shoot people or do drugs. It's common sense. Music may have a little bit to do with it but if parents talk to their kids and tell them not to do it they probably won't do it. And if parents are there for the kids that's a good thing too, some kids just do stuff like drugs, and shooting just so their parents notice them. I think the blame goes to the parents.
miss girl.
Banned
miss girl.
July 10th, 2006 at 12:58pm
well, the music i listen to may be about suicide and drugs and dying and political stuff, but i listen to it cause i like it. no, it doesnt mean i will become an anarchist cause a song i like mentions being an anarchist, no i wont kill myself cause a song says how horrible life is, and no i wont start doing heroin cause a song talks about it. When my mom complains about my music, i tell her that i was sure when she was younger her mother didnt always approve of the records she listened to. I know she had an Accept record, and their music isnt the best, and Cheap Trick and other stuff, and she aggrees i can listen to the music as long as i dont take the lyrics to heart and try doing these things.