Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
Helena of Sorrows
Fabulous Killjoy
Helena of Sorrows
February 21st, 2008 at 02:45am
well, i personally thinks that music really makes a great impact to our life. but commiting suicide, killing, or drug using must no be blamed to listening to music...i mean, it depends on how you would deal with the lyrics of the song your listening...we are the one who control our life so we cant really say that "music make me to that".....parents is more to blame than music..if their child goes into drugs or commits suicide, its not because of what they listen to, its because maybe their child have problems, which parents do not usually know...actions of the kids is based on how their parents raise them..
My Hero:
Demolition Lover
My Hero:
February 21st, 2008 at 09:18pm
Whoa! I wrote a persuasive essay on this last year! In that I basically said, in my own opinion:

I do not think that the music is at the most fault for the things that people do.
I feel that there could be a multitude of factors that would push a person to do such things to themselves or others around them like peer pressure, school life [bullying], or their home life.
And what if that person has depression or something, yes, the music could push them over the edge, but I don't think that the music should be blamed for most of that stuff!
AAAU
Joining The Black Parade
AAAU
February 23rd, 2008 at 01:09am
I think it's irresponsible and inaccurate when people blame terrible things occuring on music's influnce.
I definitely acknowledge the fact that music can have a big influence on a person, but I don't think it should be held responsible for everyone's actions that listens to it.
I think every person should be able to express themselves musically/artisitcally without reserving anything and being afraid of the consequences.
I think music can be misinterpurted, and that's when a person can potentially start doing negative things, but that's the fault of that person. Blaming the music is an easy solution.
Kayla Doesn't Care
Fabulous Killjoy
Kayla Doesn't Care
February 29th, 2008 at 10:49pm
Oh don't get me started on this. This right here, pisses me the f*ck off. Parents who blame music for all of their child's 'problems' seriously need to rethink when their child started behaving the way they find inappropriate, because more than likely, it started before they turned to music to help them cope with the issues the parents most likely caused. God, this pisses me off. I'm sorry for people who do not think I should take this so seriously because they believe it's not a big issue. Granted, there are definitely bigger problems in this screwed up world but this one bothers me to, mainly because I hate seeing Innocent people being blamed for things because people don't have the balls to say "Oops, I screwed up, I better fix it." No, instead they say "That's bad, let's blame it on something else I think is bad." Morons! God, damn... My father is like this, that's one reason I feel strongly about it. He's so ignorant in so many ways...
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
March 1st, 2008 at 11:39pm
It's true - parent's always find the music to blame. They think it's satanic or something.

But the truth is, the music is a way of salvation. The parents keep thinking that the music of our generation is bad, but it's not. And when you try to explain, they won't listen, but they expect you to listen to them.

They should always be open to options. That's why sometimes it's a TAD bit unfair.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
March 2nd, 2008 at 06:22am
i reckon music does have a very big impact on some peoples lives.
but it shouldnt be blamed...
<3
PollyPocket
Killjoy
PollyPocket
March 2nd, 2008 at 03:39pm
my mum doesn't really mind what i listen to becuase she doesn't really see any problem with it.
she just lets me go on doing my thing and just being myself.
other people blame the music saying it makes me an emo and makes me depressed but i'm never depressed and if i am it has nothing to do with music at all.
xoxox
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
March 3rd, 2008 at 02:07pm
I hate it when your parents are like, it's because you listen to "negative music". Does my head in!
I listen to music that means something to me, different songs for different emotions.
Our actions are up to us really; you can't blame a band for putting thoughts into your child's head, if they do something it's because they have a choice to do it, most of the time anyway, unless someone is like holding a gun to your head and you don't want to die etc.

Anyway ever heard of the saying "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree"
hidden black heart
Killjoy
hidden black heart
March 3rd, 2008 at 05:35pm
Parents that dislike our music, whether or not we listen to the music they complain about, are hypocrites. Every time the music world revolutionizes itself (usually every generation) the parents dislike it and the kids love it. What they're probably forgetting is something that happens to all kids at some point in time. They probably swore that they wouldn't judge the music, that they'd try to understand, or something to that extent when they were teens.

My dad's cool with my music. He listens to the same stuff (scary, no?). But my mom... She listens to Christian Rock. Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with that if you listen to other music. But she doesn't. And after waking up and listening to Godsmack or MCR (or anything, really) for half an hour and having to sit in the car and listen to that every morning... It just sucks. And it's usually on when I get home too.

Like I said before, I have no problem with the music. It's just that she attempts to get my music, the stuff that gets me through the day, out of my head every morning. It's like she's trying to purify me. And the worst part... she doesn't even realize she's doing it.
Cassy Chaos
Salute You in Your Grave
Cassy Chaos
March 4th, 2008 at 05:12am
I don't think that music is to blame,
I mean no offense but if a parent could bring a child up to truley know what is wrong, with that childs relationship being close to them then their should be no problem.
my mum's music is nothing like mine she hates rock music, but has never blamed it for anything.
Then again my dad likes all the smae music as me.
I personaly don't believe that music can change someones attitude to a large extent or make them negative, unless thouse emotions were already there just sheltered.
LostMyFear_ofFalling
Joining The Black Parade
LostMyFear_ofFalling
March 4th, 2008 at 06:08pm
If anything, music inspires and helps people get through tough times in their life.
It keeps them from making stupid decisions, rather than promoting them. At least the type of music I listen to does, so I can really only speak for myself. Just like it's the writer's way to express their feelings throuhg the music, a person's taste in music is their way to express their personality, feelings, and outlook on life.
I don't think parents should ever limit or restrict what their children should listen to. By doing that, they would be denying what could be their only outlet and making them give up the thing that makes them feel like they're not alone. I know that listening to music that I like that I can relate to makes me feel like a real person again after a bad day. I also know that my mom has an issue with the kinds of music I listen to and wishes I would listen to more "normal" music. I think that the music a person listens to is the best way to understand a person's personality and feelings, and no one should ever try to hold someone back from the things that make up who they are.
Spirited Away
Joining The Black Parade
Spirited Away
March 22nd, 2008 at 12:53am
I acually think that music can change peoples actions a bit. I know that music changed my attitude ever since i started liking a new genre. If you listen to the lyrics in the song, they can be violent and drug related. But it is the child and the parent's fault for acually getting into violence and drugs and stuff. It would be the child's fault because they acually gave in to the urge to do something violent or doing drugs. It's the parent's fault for not bringing up the child right and teaching the child not to do anything stupid like that. They're the ones that are supposed to be teaching their kids stuff like that. But I guess they dont. I do think that music can affect peoples actions, but it is still their fault.
skitty.
In the Cannibal Glow
skitty.
March 22nd, 2008 at 02:08pm
i think that if music does have an effect on peoples actions, it's not big enough to say " well, i listened to this song and just decided to do it"
it has ti somewhat build up in you, the music may be a small part of that build-up though
im just saying you can't sew a band or something because "they told you to"
Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 23rd, 2008 at 09:44pm
There's a lot of parents who have grown up in a completely different time than their child. The music was different, standards were different, everything was DIFFERENT! So I can see why some parents would think that. A lot of the music that I listen to, my parents would probably hate. In fact, they'd probably tell me to stop listening to that music. But of course, like any rebellious teen, I wouldn't listen to what they said. I'm going to keep listening to whatever music I want to, no matter what they say. Music should only influence you in a positive way, such as getting better grades or avoiding all the bad stuff (drugs, alcohol, self harm, etc) or something like that. I believe music started out as a release for what you feel, and that's how it should be. It it the parents fault in some ways too, I guess.
DemonLeaf
Bleeding on the Floor
DemonLeaf
March 27th, 2008 at 02:21am
my mum blames all the music i listen to, my chem, bfmv etc etc for the mood changes and all >.<
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
March 29th, 2008 at 08:51pm
Yara; wtf...:
I honestly think that in 9/10 cases, the parents are to blame.

If you raise your kid right, he/she will know better than to do drugs, kill people or commit suicide.

seriously. people say mychem is making kids commit suicide/self harm....
honestly,
mcr helps people that hurt deeply.
William the Bloody
Killjoy
William the Bloody
March 29th, 2008 at 11:30pm
They just blame music to have something to blame. I say, if the kid ends up doing drugs or commiting suicide, it was their choice to do this, and therefore their own fualt. I know I sound like a cold hearted so-and-so, but it's what I think.
littlewindmill
Thinking Happy Thoughts
littlewindmill
March 30th, 2008 at 04:58am
i was always like... wierd, but My Chem and The Used and Linkin Park let me know that, im not the only person youse fucked up in this world, so about 2 years ago i started becoming who ide always wanted to become. so 'blaming' music is bullshit. if anything BLAME THE PARENTS. blame the people around them for just watching fuck up time and time again. 'cuz My Chemical Romance saves lives.

My Chemical Romance Saved My Life
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
March 30th, 2008 at 05:12am
littlewindmill:
i was always like... wierd, but My Chem and The Used and Linkin Park let me know that, im not the only person youse fucked up in this world, so about 2 years ago i started becoming who ide always wanted to become. so 'blaming' music is bullshit. if anything BLAME THE PARENTS. blame the people around them for just watching fuck up time and time again. 'cuz My Chemical Romance saves lives.

My Chemical Romance Saved My Life

See, why can people be influenced one way by music, but not the other?
Just because one person gets one thing out of music doesn't mean everyone gets the same.
Mercutio
Motor Baby
Mercutio
March 30th, 2008 at 09:30am
I think that music has more of a positive impact on people than a negative one. There are some cases where music does depress people...but just look how many people on here can say that My Chemical Romace saved their life.