Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
xhead1st4halos94x
Fabulous Killjoy
xhead1st4halos94x
March 30th, 2008 at 03:10pm
If people are already thinking of doing something and their music encourages/talks about whatever that is (drugs suicide ect) as a possitive thing they might be more tempted to to that but i dont think that someone will me like "ladeda de da.... o my music talks about drugs i wanna do drugs" I honestly think that people have a mind of their own and dont do somehting just because they hear it in a song or whatever.
we are broken.
Salute You in Your Grave
we are broken.
March 30th, 2008 at 05:50pm
yeah thats retard people always try to blame everyone but themselves just so they dont look bad. they're just making themselves look even stupider then they already are.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
March 30th, 2008 at 06:21pm
^ In the same way, the 'MCR saved my life' thing, could be used simply because MCR says they want to save people's lives.
So, even if a person sorted their problems by other means, they can simply say that it was MCR who did it.
stac-renee
Killjoy
stac-renee
March 31st, 2008 at 01:44pm
DONT BLAME THE MUSIC, BLAME THE PERSON FOR BEING UNSTABLE - THEY MAY NEED MEDICATION
Colorado Sunrise.
Salute You in Your Grave
Colorado Sunrise.
April 1st, 2008 at 06:20pm
Blaming music. I find that dumb =S
Honestly, you can not even know who Marilyn Manson is and be on drugs.
There are a lot of people to blame:

-those who just jump to conclusins like this topic we're on about
-parents who get strict with their children, their children are their responsibility!
-the media, makes uncool stuff "cool"
and there are others...

But meh, this is my opinion.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 8th, 2009 at 01:03pm
i think that music isn't to blame...

the parents are!

If they brought em up right, then kids wouldn't even think of doing drugs etc, even from hearing it in a song

But also whose letting the kids to that sort of music? The Parents!
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 8th, 2009 at 04:26pm
Ha, do you really think any teenager would listen to there parents if they tried to stop them listening to music? No.

Sorry to say, you could be raised by the most incredible parents, and still fall in the wrong crowd
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 8th, 2009 at 04:50pm
Why was this thread reopened?
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 8th, 2009 at 04:51pm
^ Why not? It's a discussion isnt it?
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 8th, 2009 at 08:24pm
Yes, but it's been dormant since last year. A very similar discussion has been taking place in here now. Rad avi btw Wink
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
May 9th, 2009 at 05:45am
but this one is actually the original thread and therefore we should really lock the other one. This thread is especially for blaming music where as the other thread is for the influence music has on your life, good or bad.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 9th, 2009 at 09:18am
A very similar discussion has been taking place in here now. Rad avi btw

Aw, thanks Smile I forgot about that other thread too, but what tallulah said makes sense, this thread should be more about blaming music and the other about music's effect
gerardgrl23
Killjoy
gerardgrl23
May 9th, 2009 at 10:01pm
Colorado Sunrise.:
Blaming music. I find that dumb =S
Honestly, you can not even know who Marilyn Manson is and be on drugs.
There are a lot of people to blame:

-those who just jump to conclusins like this topic we're on about
-parents who get strict with their children, their children are their responsibility!
-the media, makes uncool stuff "cool"
and there are others...

But meh, this is my opinion.

that makes so much sense! i mean i read a few posts that say its the kids fault but some people seriously have things wrong with them and that's not there fault, i think music can only help children because it gives them something to believe in and they can relate to it
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
May 9th, 2009 at 11:44pm
If anybody has watched the Micheal Moore doco "Bowling For Columbine"
they have a really interesting interview with Marilyn Manson about blaming music, since he was sort of blamed for the Columbine massacre.
He basically say people tend to jump to conclusions and blame things like music because most of the time they don't really understand it. It's easier to say "oh you knoe, he wears black and is screaming, lets blame him" because it's easier than actually taking a look at what was going on in the kids lives and trying to figure out what went wrong.
Take the examples of My Chemical Romance being blamed for things like teen suicide. Notice the people that point the finger at the musicians and music tend to be be pretty ignorant to the actual messages in the music and just look at the cd cover and thing "oh there is blood on these people's faces, they encourage suicide". Note that almost none of the fans of bands like MCR blame them for issues like that, because there is a larger understanding about messages involvd in the music. Back to what Marilyn Manson said the people that blame artists and bands don't understand them at all.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 10th, 2009 at 02:25pm
^ The thing about that is that if the people who blame the music don't understand it, then who's to say that everyone who actually listens to the music understands it as well?

Music means different things to different people, and it's a way for some people to express themselves. You can't silence that. Say, if My Chem meant "Kill All Your Friends" in the literal way, it's very unlikely that anyone would actually kill their friends because of that...people aren't so easily influenced that just by listening to a song that they will commit crimes and whatnot.
Strfckrs Inc.
Salute You in Your Grave
Strfckrs Inc.
May 12th, 2009 at 06:55am
It's all really out of fear & yeah, Bowling For Columbine is a perfect example of that what with Marilyn Manson being blamed for the shooting

He was the posterboy for fear so they blamed him
A lot of people see bands a bit off centre & away from the mainstream as something to fear so they seem like the perfect target when something goes wrong

As Marilyn Manson said it's fear & consumption
It's great for the tabloids, they run an article on how a band is a suicide cult & it sells
adorablecarla
Killjoy
adorablecarla
May 14th, 2009 at 12:10am
Teachers, Parents, law enforcement, or whoever are blaming the climb in crime on the music that teenagers listen to these days. Which tends to make no sense to me, because people are going to do whatever they want. No matter what they listen to, but being in a Dispatcher for a local 911 station, and the college classes I have taken, It's been proven that bullying, and parents are to blame. Bullying leads to suicide very often actually, and it's because the person just wants to be left alone, wants to be free from the physical, and verbal bullying. Parents can lead to the same problems, with Teenagers with abusive parents, or un-disciplinarian parents, that do not care about what there kids are out doing. A lot of kids will start doing drugs for attention from there parents, or comit suicide to get away from the abuse. Music is not what should be blamed.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 17th, 2009 at 03:56pm
John St. John:
Ha, do you really think any teenager would listen to there parents if they tried to stop them listening to music? No.

Sorry to say, you could be raised by the most incredible parents, and still fall in the wrong crowd

it is possible... I know parents who don't let there kids have their own computer, and actually buy them music of which they agree with and they think they will like for example Rock, but with good lyrics, not telling you to go kill yourself etc. lol... but i think the not letting them have a computer is a bit extreme. I think if you let the kid know about music and warn them about it, they less likely to listen to that music... but kids now really don't give a crap about of what there parents say so it is hard.

I know that but what i mean is if they know about it and are warned they can make a decision themselves which is better than being told what to do which teens instantly rebel to
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 18th, 2009 at 03:27pm
There was a question like this in my RE textbook.
I answered that music is about expressing an emotion, not provoking one, and I believe that.

It's really very counterproductive for a band to promote suicide in their fans anyway.
I mean, who's gonna buy your records if your fans are dead? Laughing

Surely the media / parents can see there's logic there (:
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
May 22nd, 2009 at 07:02am
frank iero!:

It's really very counterproductive for a band to promote suicide in their fans anyway.
I mean, who's gonna buy your records if your fans are dead? Laughing

Surely the media / parents can see there's logic there (:

That really made me lmfao
Because it's so true. But the fact is, people blame what they don't understand. Like the Daily Mail quoted "When your dead and gone believe me, your memory will carry on" They used that to back up their argument that MCR promote suicide, and I know we all got annoyed that they'd taken the line out of its context. But not every single person who listens to that band is going to understand what they're talking about.
I had a friend who claimed Korn saved his life, now don't get me wrong but they have never appealed to me, and I cant for the life of me ever understand how that happened. But whenever he hears them he has a fit of excitement, and they make him so happy, and that you can't argue with. So maybe it's not so much "who's to blame" but "do they make you happy?"