Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
ElizasMAMA
Fabulous Killjoy
ElizasMAMA
December 2nd, 2006 at 10:26am
Come ONe cOMe All:
Hmm... interesting topic. I think the main problem is with the parents rather than the music. I mean, why would any kid commit suicide out of the blue after he/she had listened to Marilyn Manson? There's not much logic to that. Me, myself isn't facing the exact same issue but I'm from a chinese culture and my parents completely hates rock music. They say its noisy and you couldn't even make out what they are screaming about. They think in some ways or another it had brought the downfall to my academic studies. Which is not true.

i agree my mom doesnt really like it that much and my step dad says i cant lsten to it while doin homework but it actully helps me concentrate better, and i get better grades. Thats a good influence its had on me. And probably the most important one.
xXDr. KrazyXx
Fabulous Killjoy
xXDr. KrazyXx
December 2nd, 2006 at 11:40am
I think what a child does has nothing to do with what music they listen to. If a parent wants to know who's to blame, they should look in a mirror. Music is music is music. It can change your view on the world, but it can't tie a rope, buy a bullet, or swallow a pill. A lot of times, a parent should pay attention to what their kid does. Signs are there. But, anyway, back on the subject. Music is not to blame. Not at all.
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
December 2nd, 2006 at 12:51pm
I do believe music can put new ideas in the child's head.
But I dont believe we should place all blame on music.
The parents shouldve taught their child right from wrong, though its debateble what is wrong and what is right.
But I dont believe all blame should be placed on the parents either.
If the child does drugs or has a gun or something, the child is the one to blame.
Although, the parent should be aware of whats going on in the child's life and have the ability to prevent anything harmful their child may do.
morgan in the dust.
Bleeding on the Floor
morgan in the dust.
December 5th, 2006 at 12:27pm
I think that music influences you to a point, but it shouldn't be influenceing you to the point where you believe that what they as artist's are saying. As most of you said, it's usually the parents fault for what happens. But that can't be blamed for everything. It's not the music that's influencing people's young minds it's the media in general. It's saying that you have to do this to be cool or something rather. If you don't fit into that tight box of the world's view of beautiful, you turn to other places for the answers you need. In most cases today it is music. People find their answers in deeply different music then the media approves of and it's seen as outside where they live. They've created a way to make you think that you have to be perfect when people, in themselves, already are.
ILuvMCRandYotas
Motor Baby
ILuvMCRandYotas
December 5th, 2006 at 01:08pm
Music has been blamed for people's actions for decades. The sad part is, it's not just parents. There was a guy in CA who was arrested for murder & AC/DC's music was blamed. WTF? I guess for some, it's just easier to place blame on music that they don't approve of instead of facing the real issues.
Tanya1979
Fabulous Killjoy
Tanya1979
December 5th, 2006 at 02:09pm
spuddy:
you hear of parents blaming music for their childs actions all the time.
eg marilyn manson was blamed for drugs
eminem was blamed for young people getting guns
ozzy osbourne (and lots of others) blamed for young people committing suicide.

what are you opinions on this?

I did not read past this post. I think blaming music is bullshit. It's the parents whoa re the parents, the care givers who are the care givers, not the music. The parents and care givers should look at what their children are listening to and see if it suitable for their children. if not, throw the crap out and stop- blaming everyone and everything. Blame yourselves.
Ms. Vampire
Fabulous Killjoy
Ms. Vampire
December 5th, 2006 at 08:33pm
I don't understand how anyone can blame music for people's actions these days. Jazz was blamed for promiscuity and booze in the 20s, Rock and Roll was blamed for bad behavior in the 50s, Folk music was blamed for marijuana in the 60s, Disco was blamed for promiscuity in the 70s, and heavy metal was blamed for murder/drug abuse in the 80s. At one point in time, out parents and maybe even grandparents defended the music they loved in the same manner that we are defending our music today.
Tanya1979
Fabulous Killjoy
Tanya1979
December 6th, 2006 at 11:57am
It's not the music, or the bands. It's the parents, caregivers. I truly believe in that. God forbid if their son broke the law, raped a girl, stoled something, kills somebody, it's the music they are listening to, oh no, it's not the parents fault. Please.

Same goes for the daughters, if they break the law, stold, hurt somebody, killed, than it's also the nusic's fault. I only see this as a excuse used by the parents and care givers.

Anyone here recall when Judist Priests (Spelling is off I am sure) was taken to court when thsoe 2 boys tried to kill themselves, one doed and the other one didn't die. Judist Priest was taken to court and faught and was proven not to be the reason by those kids tried to end their lives. (Anyway, I think it was Judist priest)
KissTheBride
Thinking Happy Thoughts
KissTheBride
December 6th, 2006 at 02:12pm
rhiaCYANIDE:
--Yara--:
I honestly think that in 9/10 cases, the parents are to blame.

If you raise your kid right, he/she will know better than to do drugs, kill people or commit suicide.

Exactly!

If you raise your child to act right inside and outside of your household you're doing fine.

No one is possessing your child to do anything, your child is acting on it's own.

If everything bad a kid does was based the music world would be done.

AND! There is Parental Advisory on the CD when you buy it.

95% of the time Parents buy their kids CD's.

So if you don't like what your kid is listening to, Check the labels and don't buy it if you don't like it.

'Cause then you don't have anything to blame it on but yourselves.

I agree!!!! Clap
KissTheBride
Thinking Happy Thoughts
KissTheBride
December 6th, 2006 at 02:17pm
I think that Its not the music's fault that some kids are suicidel, I think that suicidel kids when they here the music (after alredy being suicidel) feel adentified with the music and that achsually makes them feel better.

For example In my case. I was terribly depressed, my parents had no fukn idea I was becuase i tried to hide it from them. I herd mcr, feel completely in love with them and when my parents found out that I was depressed they blamed it on MCR.
Bullet.
Salute You in Your Grave
Bullet.
December 6th, 2006 at 02:28pm
People have thier own minds, they don't listen to something and then go 'oh right now im going to kill myself!' Music helps loads of people, it pulls them back from the edge, not pushes them over. Its something to live for, something to aspire to, something to love, and something to follow.

Music is not to blame for some peoples states, something else go them there, someone else helped them, or in some cases didnt. Music is not to blame.
not... anything
Killjoy
not... anything
December 6th, 2006 at 06:25pm
Its TOTALLY THE PARENTS TO BLAME. My parents call me "punk" becuase I love MCR and they tell me its trash, I love it, but that goes into a different praoblem. Anyway, its the parents
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
December 6th, 2006 at 06:26pm
I don't think it's the parents fault.
I definently don't think it's the music's fault.
I don't know if it's anyone's fault other than societies.
People don't get these ideas from songs.
They get them from people.
It's sociology.
Vermillion
Killjoy
Vermillion
December 6th, 2006 at 07:13pm
I agree with lots of posts on here. Music is a very powerful thing. It can make people happy, sad, give them reason to live, and it's a way for people to express their minds. Like a few people said, if a kid commits suicide or starts cutting or something, chances are they're not going to be listening to something light and fluffy while they do it and before they do it, because that's not how they feel; they feel depressed and dark, they're going to listen to that kind of music. So, when they start cutting or commit suicide, the parents are going to blame the music, even if it was a big argument they had with the kid that drove them to do it. Parents will find anything else to blame besides themselves. Trust me. ^_-
Scream To Be Heard.
In The Murder Scene
Scream To Be Heard.
December 8th, 2006 at 07:36am
Yara; wtf...:
I honestly think that in 9/10 cases, the parents are to blame.

If you raise your kid right, he/she will know better than to do drugs, kill people or commit suicide.

thats what my dad said. i agree 100%
lexie
Bleeding on the Floor
lexie
December 9th, 2006 at 12:15pm
I agree - the only way music can have a part in the sad death of a child is if the child has/is already going through a traumatic life and the song/band in question has connected with the way the child feels. Parents need to be more accountable for the way they bring their kids up . I cant recall who said it but they were right when they said
'Parents f**k you up.They may not mean too but they do!'
Tanya1979
Fabulous Killjoy
Tanya1979
December 9th, 2006 at 03:29pm
Lexie, please tell me how parents f**k up their children. please I am dying to hear this. I have 4, so far so good. I have yet to f**k them up.
DanceWithMe
Motor Baby
DanceWithMe
December 9th, 2006 at 04:17pm
how can music make you suicidal? good music is said to produce feel good hormones in your body, the same way as exerscise, and someone would not just commit suicide, just because marylin manson wrote a song about it.
je t'aime
Killjoy
je t'aime
December 9th, 2006 at 05:20pm
parents just want to controll your life with what clothes to wear what music to listern to.and if they dont get to controll you the say that the music you listern to is brainwashing you .they just blame everything on sumthing else instead of them selfs and it does not help when stupid newspapers print crap out about music with out reshearching its background .
Tanya1979
Fabulous Killjoy
Tanya1979
December 9th, 2006 at 05:23pm
ruby tuesday:
parents just want to controll your life with what clothes to wear what music to listern to.and if they dont get to controll you the say that the music you listern to is brainwashing you .they just blame everything on sumthing else instead of them selfs and it does not help when stupid newspapers print crap out about music with out reshearching its background .

Really? How are you so sure? So you are going to sit there and tell me that I want to control my children and brainwash them?
I feel very sorry for you Honny. I really do. Do some research before you tell me things that I know more about than you do Honny. I have not been a parent for 7 years to have some 14 year old kid to tell me how I treat my own children.

i should edit to say sorry for the lashout, but there are some things kids don't understand,