Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
Red_of_a_Rose
Jazz Hands
Red_of_a_Rose
June 14th, 2006 at 02:11am
gia:
Society needs a scapegoat because people cannot accept that it's their own fault. They just blame music because they don't want to think that maybe everything is just a result of their own mistakes. It was ridiculous when people said Rammstein were partially responsable for the Columbine massacre. I've been a fan of the band ever since I was a child and still their music never made me want to go out and shoot someone. And that's just one example.

In the end i think they tried to blame the entire Columbine thing on music. Another example is when they blamed Marilyn Manson just because the kids responsible were dressed like him and wearing make-up. I know a ton of kids who dress like him and they are some of the most sane people i know. And when Manson was asked what he would say to the kids at Columbine his response was: "I wouldn't say a single word to them, I would listen to what they have to say and that's what no one did." And i agree with that, it isn't music's fault, it happened because no one listened to them [the kids] so they had to make people listen.
xAsleep Or Deadx
Banned
xAsleep Or Deadx
June 14th, 2006 at 07:14am
yup, their working for my future but they need to be sure that the reason their were working is still alive and still breathing..but it's a bit fun to be alone and have everything you wanted exept for my parents..you could have anything in your room, you could have anything you wanted, you have tons of money..what else could you wish? yes I know what were you thinking, a stupid bratt..heh! I guess so..well I could have anything I wanted, anything (materials) but sometimes I wanted to ask them to buy me a parent, parents that would check on me always, ask me if everythings alright and check if i'm still breathing..

one of my friend told me that if I comitted suicide my parents would only knew that their daughter was dead because of the smell of my decaying corpes..(ew!)
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
June 14th, 2006 at 12:50pm
In my opinion, parents are usually to blame...but I can't help but think....is what's on MTV really 100% free of blame for the contribution to corrupted minds? No.
Think about what we see everyday on MTV...hip-hop blinggers talking about using girls and "pimpin' in da club" Disgust
And the way they dance these days...don't even get me started. They all act like strippers! Do we want kids watching that?
I just don't like that the music industry is selling an encouragement to objectify women in a disc.
Don't deny the fact that it affects us.

On the other hand, if you raise your kids right, they will know to avoid such things like these. :]
Synyster
Salute You in Your Grave
Synyster
June 16th, 2006 at 05:02pm
In my opinion people should'nt take things like "i do drugs", "i want to kill myself" and "I use guns" seriously. If someone says that, its probably just an act to sell records*cough*eminem*cough* but people do take things seriously. Its all in how yuo percive things, music can be a blame, but in most cases people just dont know how to handle it.
Synyster
Salute You in Your Grave
Synyster
June 16th, 2006 at 05:04pm
"If we keep this up our children are going to be whores at the age of 5."
-
my friend corrine
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
June 16th, 2006 at 09:58pm
silverbullets__x:

"If we keep this up our children are going to be whores at the age of 5."
-my friend corrine

there are whores at the age of 5
have you ever seen Club Libby Lu? It's a store for pre-teens that have them putting on makeup, and dressing quite skankily.

It seemed like silverbullets was hinting at something. If people are going to blame muisic, blame the right music for the right things. Rap and Hip-Hop are degratory towords women. That's one of the reasons I refused to listen to them. I also don't consider it music without a couple of guitars.

Blaming music for people killing others having suicidal thoughs is complete and utterly useless. Look at MCR, Gerard had a drinking problem and stopped. He knew it would screw up his life. Plus, most actual bands save peoples lives, they don't harm them.
3 Cheers 4 Sweet Revenge
Fabulous Killjoy
3 Cheers 4 Sweet Revenge
June 16th, 2006 at 10:05pm
Music keeps me alive. Literally. if it was taken away i would fall over dead....thank pathetically god for all those kick ass bands out there!!!!
and to those ppl that disagree with music because it "alters moods" and "talk to you"... i know it does but guess wut?!? i like my mood and i like at least SOMEONE talking to me that doesnt judge me and tells me to constantly hold on and im okay (even though im not). without them i would not be the same...just another regular, boring, human being like you
monkeyinair
Bleeding on the Floor
monkeyinair
June 16th, 2006 at 10:23pm
well, if anyone's to blame then it would be the person who did drugs/ kill/ commit suicide etc. not the parents, the music or whatever. but it does annoy me when my parents says that music will make you do baaaad things blah blah blah. music keeps me sane ok. it is the ONLY thing i can rely on in this really really messed up world.
Xx-Cristina.
Bleeding on the Floor
Xx-Cristina.
June 17th, 2006 at 05:55am
--Yara--:
I honestly think that in 9/10 cases, the parents are to blame.

If you raise your kid right, he/she will know better than to do drugs, kill people or commit suicide.

I agree also.
Most of the time you pick what music you want to listen to
by what mood your in.
So, If you're sad, you may listen to sad/slow music.
If you're hyper, you may listen to something fast and crazy.

But sometimes, like for me, music helps a person.
It helps them relax or it helps them scream and get all their anger out.

Suzical the Musical made me laugh XD

Music has changed So much. Parents think it's bad to be singing about
being lonely and depressed (well my mom does), They should hear how
one of '50 cents crew members' sing.
Gosh. I almost shit my pants when I heard 'candyshop' or whatever its called.
Then another song, I think it was called, milkshake. Dude, do parents
even know what thats about? Confused
I personaly get freaked out by rap, lol.
And no offence (I Have to say this), but when they dance in them MVs', it
looks like their having seizures >,<
So, I also agree with the whole 'If people are going to blame muisic,
blame the right music for the right things'.

My mom is the only one who blames my music for why I'm the way I am.
But I think she blames music to get out of being the one to blame.
Because, really, It's all her fault.
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
June 17th, 2006 at 08:33am
So many people think that because I listen to Marilyn Manson, and i kinda dress goth-ish, i'm a crazed nutter, and i'm going to go around shooting people. people just try and push the blame onto the music their child listens to and dont even begin to think that it may not be someone/thing else's fault. and as for rock being bad, well look and r 'n'b and rap. all these girls of 11, 12 are dressed like "hoes" and they think it's cool, and all these little boys are dressing themselves like pimps, and referring to females as "hoes" and "bitches". And most of the rap and r 'n'b songs are just about that, or really random things. like the example above milkshake by kelis. wtf? a song about a damn milkshake, and her reclining on the bar dressed scantily whilst a group of men clamour around her.
xJimmyx
Fabulous Killjoy
xJimmyx
June 19th, 2006 at 11:37pm
My mom said it the best way it could be said, IMO.

"If music or video games causes you to kill someone, you were already WELL on your way to doing it anyways."

Music isn't to blame.
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
June 21st, 2006 at 09:50am
Music doesn't put a gun to your head and says, "SMOKE POT OR I'LL FIRE!" People make their own choices.
MadHatterMCR
Bleeding on the Floor
MadHatterMCR
June 21st, 2006 at 08:49pm
Bloodraine:
Music has a huge impact upon peoples lives.
Some people live for music. It keeps some people sane. It gives people reason to hope, sometimes.

Who is to say it won't go the other way?

Music can do bad things, too. Its a powerful form of propaganda when used wrongly.

I believe it all depends on the person. It can be a catalyst, yes, but music is what you make of it and never soley to blame.

I didn't think music was to blame, but you made me think about it and now I agree with you.

Music shapes people's personalities.

But I also agree with RoxMySox. People are conscious of their own actions and can't say that Manson made them shoot up their teachers.

Its also a problem if a person interoperates the music in a negative way. A lot of great music uses metaphors that could be taken any way. A song could be meant to be encouraging, but a person could see it as a killing sort of message.

And I agree, unless the kid is a sociopath, the parents are probably to blame.
A lady in white
Motor Baby
A lady in white
June 22nd, 2006 at 05:49pm
Blame the listener, not the music. If the listener wants to commit suicide after listening to Ozzy Osbourne or take drugs after listening to Marilyn Manson, it's their decision. It's not like Ozzy Osbourne came up to them and told them to kill themselves, that was their decision. If the listener can't handle the content of their music, and they get so obsessed with it that they'd do something like take drugs or commit suicide, that's their choice.
Crying Blue Eyes
Killjoy
Crying Blue Eyes
June 22nd, 2006 at 06:50pm
Blame always needs to be put on something or someone. Music is an easy target. Especially, when parents refuse to take any of the blame themselves.
Thnks fr th vnm
Demolition Lover
Thnks fr th vnm
June 22nd, 2006 at 07:16pm
They say music can alter moods and talk to you
Well can it load a gun up for you , and cock it too?

It's soo friggen true. Sorry for the Eminem quotage, but I believe every word of it.

It's not musics fault. People choose their actions.
People try to find a scapegoat for everything that goes wrong in this world, and in these cases, music is chosen.
Number 0.05
Joining The Black Parade
Number 0.05
June 24th, 2006 at 11:11am
sometimes musics just to 'blame' when cops are lazy eg: 'lets blame manson cos we cant be bothered'
other times it can.
nathan gale was obbsessed with pantera.
he thought dime was repsonsible for the demise.
dime was shot dead by a pantera obsessed lunatic.
go figure.
+-+-+Deathwisher+-+-+
Jazz Hands
+-+-+Deathwisher+-+-+
June 24th, 2006 at 06:36pm
Some kids listen to music, they hear about the drugs, the guns, and suicide.And they think it's cool.They think when they show their friends cuts, or tell them they're suicidal their friends will have some sort of appraisal or respect for them.In those cases the parents aren't the ones to blame, and especially not the music.It's just the kid.
intoxicated.
Always Born a Crime
intoxicated.
June 24th, 2006 at 07:30pm
Ugh, parents blaming music is so ridiculous. My family and I think it's just a parents way of not blaming themselves. My dad's friend's daughter is a big fan of MCR and her mother found out she was cutting. Her mother automatically blamed the music her daughter was listening to. She thinks MCR sings about suicide and things of that nature. I made sure that my dad informed her that MCR is against suicide. I went to their concert and Gerard specifically said "if you're feeling depressed don't waste your life on suicide, get some fucking help!" Then he made the whole crowd scream fuck suicide and MCR went on with the show.
Not so amazing Emily
Fabulous Killjoy
Not so amazing Emily
June 25th, 2006 at 04:11pm
Music does influence, and it can play with your mind.
But In my opinion no way can it tell someone to kill another person.
I actually think it helps people see that there are worse things in life, and if you really think that your life is as bad as what people sing about in songs, then you should do something about it, so shouldn't it really help you make your life better and not worse?
Parents just need to pass the blame. And to be honest, it might not even be their fault and they don't know what lead their child to do something like that.
I think it actually takes the person to be half way there and then the music push them over the edge, or the parents for that matter. It's a two way situation, different for everyone.