Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
July 5th, 2007 at 10:40am
Suicide, violence and self-harm have always existed since the beginning of time, before rock and roll, before rap and before video games. There will always be a small percentage of the population that are not well-adjusted OR that have trouble coping with life. They're going to do what they choose because of their individual psychological make-up. And because depression is never taken seriously. It's just labeling someone as being moody, being emo, or just "needing to get out more". Nobody wants to admit to anyone they're depressed and even more so, no one wants to take teenagers seriously about anything. Depression is not given respect as a real (albeit curable) disease, it's not taken seriously. So it's not just parents, it's anyone who's not listening, who's shrugging it off and who's not paying attention to their fellow human beings.

On an additional note.... I saw that the Mothers Against Hard Rock thread popped up again over the holidays. So, just to clear things up and help spread the truth before everyone gets fired up, it's all a lame joke.

your grandmother
Jazz Hands
your grandmother
July 5th, 2007 at 11:47am
MCR isn't bad at all. idk why parents are hating my chem. MCR saves lives. like during 9/11 gerard didn't care about the money. && the song Cancer, how is that bad??
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 5th, 2007 at 12:38pm
SecretInUrThroat:
Music cant make u load a gun and shoot someone. music can only affect your mood, the bad choices made by people are not caused by music, theyre created by circumstance and judgment.
...Well, actually, it can.
But only people who have very low self-esteem, who feel lonely, and invisible. They're weak, and music makes them think that they are something. They hear a song and don't understand the point, and they kill themselves, or others, thinking that the point of that song is to kill themselves.
But this isn't just music, it can be tv, video games, the people around you, magazines...all kinds of things.
insane clown posse.
In The Murder Scene
insane clown posse.
July 5th, 2007 at 02:15pm
I think parents think lyrics such as "Singing songs that make you slit your wrists, isn't that much fun?" scares them. Maybe in a way it promotes self harm. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 5th, 2007 at 02:50pm
^ good piont, well parents get afraid, what their child is listening too is about death, they dress in black, ect. it scares them because what really is going on in their childs head?
insane clown posse.
In The Murder Scene
insane clown posse.
July 5th, 2007 at 10:58pm
Mhhmm^^.
Also, some kids think that stuff is cool and or is pressured into acting a certaint way I think in a way some music does promote certaint things but not all of it is the music. Parents need to take some responsibility for their own children and their own actions as well.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
July 5th, 2007 at 11:14pm
the other day i was singing thoughts of a dying atheist by muse and my mom told me stop and thinks it will make me an atheist.

i told her about the msic that MCR right about and she is still iffy about the subject matters.

to me you cannot blame it all on the music, but then again it just all comes down to the individual listening to the song. music influences me, but only for the good, and once again this comes down to what happens with the vast majority. just because one child does something, it makes that the whole subject is to blame for the kid doing it. music should be there for enjoyment, not to be taken in a bad way.
Careenin'
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Careenin'
July 9th, 2007 at 03:34am
after the columbine massacre everyone was blaming the music they listened to which is bullshit, if guns wernet so easy to get and if bomb recipes wernet on the internet it may not have happened also did you know that just 10 days after the massare there was a rally promoting guns!
BeautifulEmoDisaster
Killjoy
BeautifulEmoDisaster
July 9th, 2007 at 07:39am
blaming music is fucking stupid!
the music doesnt MAKE you put the gun to your head
the music doesnt MAKE you take the pills
& the music doenst MAKE you do nething!!!!

if a kid does somthing..its their OWN fault ..not the music...
it like blaming the pencil cuz you failed a test!
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 9th, 2007 at 09:05pm
^true, but for a second look through a parents P.O.V. their child wears all black, listens to songs about death, and so on. their friends are going to ask whats going on and they dont know, then one night while watching the evening news a story comes on about some "emo" kid commiting suicide and your paretns think my kids alot like that. so...... but because one kid did alot of kids will be questioned so really if you chose this lifestyle people are going to judge you, but you judge other people too right? i get judged every fucking day for looking how i do, my parents hate it, and people give me shit sometimes but i'm happy being me and not being a fake so.... it's your choice really i guess, sorry this was so long
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
July 10th, 2007 at 03:22pm

Blaming music is pretty idiotic.
though everyone needs a scapegoat and after watching bowling for columbine it was really easy to blame maralyn manson for the things that happend there because as he puts it himself he is the "poster boy for fear".
but to put things on perspective its easy to blame something your not used to, the people who are pointing fingers dont listen to music like that therefor its easier to be mad at something your not familiar with.

its also easier to blame bands with dark imagry like my chem.
i mean have you ever seen anyone whos blamed john mayer for a school shooting ?

then finally ide like to voice my opinion on this whole "my chemical romance saved my life" thing i see everywhre.
to be honest i think the whole idea is moronic.unless gerard jumped infront of a bullet and caught it with his bare hand my chem saved nothing. besides most people say it after watching life on the murderscene and think wow i think i mite say that too. . .

any way the last paragraph probably made little or no sense
but thanks for reading
feel free to attack mee !

Pilgrim.
Salute You in Your Grave
Pilgrim.
July 10th, 2007 at 07:19pm
It's really easy to blame the music. After all, the music a kid listens, the way they dress are the parts of their life that is showing to the outside. How many parents are really willing to start figuring out, what MADE their kid listen to that music in the first place?
People always need someone to blame, and too often it's the easiest target. If Dimmu Borgir sings about burning a church and you go and burn one, is it their fault? In my opinion, not. In many others, hell yeah. It's the most obvious choice, and you don't stop to think about whether or not the person who did it had the slightest idea of what's right and what's wrong.
nilrebna.
Awake and Unafraid
nilrebna.
July 10th, 2007 at 08:09pm
Blaming music, is kind of pathetic. It's not because someone sings that you should jump of a building that a fan will jump. (well, lets hope that) It's too easy to blame the music. Bands aren't responsible for the behavior of their fans. I think (It's my opinion, so I understand if you don't agree with it) that it's the nature of the person. The person is responsible for his behavior. Unless, a band pushes their ideas on their fans (I'm talking about bad ideas...) and manipulates them...
My parents don't blame the music, they blame video games...
followill.
In The Murder Scene
followill.
July 12th, 2007 at 11:50am
I love music!! Smile
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 12th, 2007 at 05:29pm
Alice666:
I love music!! Smile
Uh, that's great and all, but it has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 12th, 2007 at 10:55pm
HellBoy.:

Blaming music is pretty idiotic.
though everyone needs a scapegoat and after watching bowling for columbine it was really easy to blame maralyn manson for the things that happend there because as he puts it himself he is the "poster boy for fear".
but to put things on perspective its easy to blame something your not used to, the people who are pointing fingers dont listen to music like that therefor its easier to be mad at something your not familiar with.

its also easier to blame bands with dark imagry like my chem.
i mean have you ever seen anyone whos blamed john mayer for a school shooting ?

then finally ide like to voice my opinion on this whole "my chemical romance saved my life" thing i see everywhre.
to be honest i think the whole idea is moronic.unless gerard jumped infront of a bullet and caught it with his bare hand my chem saved nothing. besides most people say it after watching life on the murderscene and think wow i think i mite say that too. . .

any way the last paragraph probably made little or no sense
but thanks for reading
feel free to attack mee !

agreed, well except for the "mcr saved my life part" cause i'm a person who strongly believes that mcr saved my life. i said that before i saw the life on the murder scene dvd. but i do know alot of kids who say mcr sved my life just to fit in, or whatever. for me mcr just gave me kind of a renewel on life, a reason to live without hurting myself, because people are out there who knows what it's like. they gave me a code of coduct i guess cause now i want to live my life to those kinda standards. but thats just me
FuckinDinoRawr
Banned
FuckinDinoRawr
July 13th, 2007 at 12:59am
Moslty, music is the onnly thing a child can go to
because of depression.
Music shouldn't be blamed for, the parents should be or the actual cause for the child's depression.
ChemicaLRomancE123
Killjoy
ChemicaLRomancE123
July 13th, 2007 at 02:57am
[My parent don't like me having anything to do with mcr and honstly after hear what they have to say about mcr i think parents a a little parniod about thier kids listing to songs abou dying but its kind of like if the music tells u about death you don't want to die or do the stuff in the music cause of the music
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 13th, 2007 at 08:42am
ChemicaLRomancE123:
[My parent don't like me having anything to do with mcr and honstly after hear what they have to say about mcr i think parents a a little parniod about thier kids listing to songs abou dying but its kind of like if the music tells u about death you don't want to die or do the stuff in the music cause of the music

unfortunalty alot of parents are like that, i wasn't allowed to listen to anything but christian music till i 6 years old, then i listened to the radio disney crap, i then to fit in at school forced myself to listen to rap even though i hated it, lightened up to hiphop but secretly loving rock, then being forced to listen to country. my parents didn't know i liked rock till about september (i wasn't allowed to buy cds) and flipped when they found out. especially mcr. it was the worst with mcr, my mom didn't give them a scond look, till she heard welcome to the black parade (that's her favorite song, ughhhhh) then i was allowed to listen. now she kinda likes them. but i hate it when parents restrict their kids of something harmless that makes them happy
PLURification
Killjoy
PLURification
July 13th, 2007 at 10:09am
Although I don't think music can be fully blamed for anything that occurs outside of the sound, I'd say it does have an affect on people. Music can help to save people from themselves, give people a reason to live. It has to be able to have the opposite effect too. Like in the beginning of the film High Fidelity in which the main character asks himself, "What came first - the music or the misery? Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
But also, it really depends on the particular individual's surroundings, life story, etc. Looking at everything as a whole it may be assumed that every little things adds up to the big picture, and music plays a small and yet somewhat significant part in whoever is going around and shooting people or whatever.

Music should never ever be blamed though. *my opinion* There are too many other factors involved.