Don't have an account? Create one!

Blaming Music

AuthorMessage
SlitForFallenAngel
Killjoy
SlitForFallenAngel
August 23rd, 2007 at 03:36pm
oo_mitch05_oo:
music is very powerful, it has a huge impact in our lives.

parents blame music because they can't blame anything else. maybe the parents don't want to accept the fact that they are one of the strongest reasons why their children are commiting suicide, rebellion, taking drugs etc...

also, i think our parents don't understand music the way we understand it...

Well parents NEVER will understand music the way we do. My Chemical Romance saved myself from suicide...Yeah, I know that could sound funny.
But my parents think that Gee and others are...SATANISTS so I'm to. It doesn't matter that I'm quite religious Catholic person and that emo music helps me with my problems becouse my parents don't want to. They only think that MCR (and other emo music) will turn me to someone worse than now. Parents generally blame music for their mistakes.
my_chem_xoxo
Killjoy
my_chem_xoxo
August 23rd, 2007 at 09:28pm
i belive that children should not be exposed to explicit music at a young age and if they are it is obveously the parents fault. i think that hearing about drugs and stuff at a young age will influance them and it also depends on how the children grow up and the way there parents are.
ennui.
Awake and Unafraid
ennui.
August 24th, 2007 at 09:08am

I think it's pathetic that when something potentially bad happens, people blame the easiest thing, like music.
If they are going to blame music for what people do, they might as well start blaming books as well. There's thousands of books that include drug use, rebellion, homicide etc but you don't see the media and 'concerned' parents blaming books, do you. It's the exact same for TV shows, movies and video games. It's stupid that they are blaming these things.

This is taken from the movie Bowling For Columbine and it's about what the director, Michael Moore, suggests are the causes for the Columbine High School massacre. In this part, it shows an interview with Marilyn Manson and how the town was trying to put some blame on him and his music for the shootings.
Marilyn Manson: The two by-products of that whole tragedy were, violence in entertainment, and gun control. And how perfect that that was the two things that we were going to talk about with the upcoming election. And also, then we forgot about Monica Lewinsky and we forgot about the President was shooting bombs overseas, yet I'm a bad guy because I, well I sing some rock-and-roll songs, and who's a bigger influence, the President or Marilyn Manson? I'd like to think me, but I'm going to go with the President.
Michael Moore: Do you know that on the day of the Columbine massacre, the US dropped more bombs on Kosovo than any other day?
Marilyn Manson: I do know that, and I think that's really ironic, that nobody said 'well maybe the President had an influence on this violent behavior' Because that's not the way the media wants to take it and spin it, and turn it into fear, because then you're watching television, you're watching the news, you're being pumped full of fear, there's floods, there's AIDS, there's murder, cut to commercial, buy the Acura, buy the Colgate, if you have bad breath they're not going to talk to you, if you have pimples, the girl's not going to fuck you, and it's just this campaign of fear, and consumption, and that's what I think it's all based on, the whole idea of 'keep everyone afraid, and they'll consume.'

This being said, I don't like Marilyn Manson one bit.

In the end, there is no-one to blame for these things happening but the person themselves who did wrong.
conor oberst.
Bleeding on the Floor
conor oberst.
August 26th, 2007 at 12:13am
You can't blame music for things like suicide,
It's the same with blaming violent games for murder etc.
Or violent movies,
If it reaches where someone is harming them selves or others I think it is psycological.
sarah.dramax3
Jazz Hands
sarah.dramax3
August 26th, 2007 at 12:22am
I myself think a parent blaming their adolescent's music for their suicide or anything drastic that they do. It's not actually like the singer/performer came to their house and was like, "Thou shall listen to his song and kill thyself!" This kinda brings us back to the M.A.H.R shit. Although, that's another story all in all.
Collision Kisses
Killjoy
Collision Kisses
August 31st, 2007 at 03:12pm
it sucks when parents blame kids music for shit that they do, my mom does that, i just try to show her the good side of the music and that the artists are good people and that they wouldnt want their fans to do bad suff
Dead Inside
Killjoy
Dead Inside
September 1st, 2007 at 03:54am
I think parents don't want to admit their children having issues so they look for someone to play so they go strait for the child's friends and the music they listen to. My parents do this all the time. It offends me that they think I'm stupid enough to change myself just because of others, especially some music artist, I've never met before and knows nothing about me. I find that really dumb.
xxHeLLoKiiTTynMCRxx
Killjoy
xxHeLLoKiiTTynMCRxx
September 1st, 2007 at 09:25pm
thats wat my parents do to meh
MyChemislife994
Killjoy
MyChemislife994
September 2nd, 2007 at 07:07am
i live wit my grandparents and i always dress preppy and $*** like that!(which i hate but my grandma wont let me get anything else! trust me i HATE PREPPY stuff!)
but i wanna b emo!

i wanna be emo cuz- i tried all other lable groups and they just didnt feel right ya no? i didnt like any of the music(hipp hop, rap, r&b, country No and all that other junk!) and i hate it! i moved so far away from my only bffl and im soo depressed! me and her have twin teleppithy so we both bought teenagers on the same day and didnt no it! (untill we talked the next day) and she was all like im gonna b emo! and she explainedwhat it was (ya im kinda slow!!) and it sounded soo cool so i wanna b emo 2!

but my grandparents would NEVER let me dress in all black! they would take away my ipod and all my mcr stuff cuz they would think that somethin was wrong wit me! what should i do?
MyChemislife994
Killjoy
MyChemislife994
September 2nd, 2007 at 07:14am
SlitForFallenAngel:
oo_mitch05_oo:
music is very powerful, it has a huge impact in our lives.

parents blame music because they can't blame anything else. maybe the parents don't want to accept the fact that they are one of the strongest reasons why their children are commiting suicide, rebellion, taking drugs etc...

also, i think our parents don't understand music the way we understand it...

Well parents NEVER will understand music the way we do. My Chemical Romance saved myself from suicide...Yeah, I know that could sound funny.
But my parents think that Gee and others are...SATANISTS so I'm to. It doesn't matter that I'm quite religious Catholic person and that emo music helps me with my problems becouse my parents don't want to. They only think that MCR (and other emo music) will turn me to someone worse than now. Parents generally blame music for their mistakes.

ya i no! my grandparents r like that 2! win i put up mcr pics they wurr like "why r the wearing all black? U no i dont like that Gabrielle!"
(hate win they call me gabrielle! so formal!) and i no they wont let me wear all black which sucks! so what i do is just get 3/4 black emo kinda clothes and the rest preppy!

i feel like im hiding my true self from them! theyll never understand!
Mrs.Lovette
Fabulous Killjoy
Mrs.Lovette
September 2nd, 2007 at 07:06pm
My Father Blames My Music For The Way I Am.
BAsically Because I Sing To Loud And I Wear A Black Glove With The Fingers Cut Out On One Hand, And Now He Thinks Im GOing To Try And Kill Myself Even Though im Totally A Happy Person!
I Really Don't Know What To Do About It Because , I Don't Believe My Music Sends That Kind Of Message .... =(
jenni
Killjoy
jenni
September 3rd, 2007 at 12:57am
i like that a lot of you chuck your opinions at one another, but i'm just gonna jot down some personal experience...my parents divorced when i was nine, and my brother was seven. during the week, we went to school, and mom was at work. on weekends we would visit our dad, but when we got home, our mom ALWAYS wanted to know just what Dad did, said, acted, all the way down to his friends. music was just an escape route for us; we shared our CDs, head banged to favorite songs on the radio...but the thought of actually doing some of the things the artists were screaming never really made DO any of those crazy things. however, in art class, my teacher thought i was doing extra credit work and showed some of my..."feelings"...at fairs, to friends, faculty, submitted a couple of drawings to museums...i felt awkward, but what my teacher actually did was show my mom just how she..."influenced me"...and now my parents are OK friends, but now how i would have liked them to be.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
September 3rd, 2007 at 01:09am
everybody here keeps saying parents should stop blaming music but to tell you guys the truth
sometimes kids immatate what the artists are doing in there videos or in there lives.
its not okay when a kid watches a music video and sees a guy using drugs and smoking but then starts likeing the song and artist and listens to them everyday or most of the time.
then goes off imatating them
is that okay?
no its not
some times parents are worried that there children would do something stupid like that so they try not to get there kids in that kind of music.
yes sometimes parents can go buzurt with it but sometimes its for the best and sometimes its not
xdemolition lover x
Joining The Black Parade
xdemolition lover x
September 3rd, 2007 at 03:11am
Music does have a lrge impact on people's lives, but I don't really think blaming it for kids taking drugs, suicide, ect. Most of the time, things like that depends on the surroundings of the person, or how they are brought up, or how their parents act. I think parents blame music becasue they sometimes cannot takie the responsibility or the aftermath themselves.

Like SlitForFallenAngel said, parents don't understand music the way we do. Just becasue the music is heavy or the band looks weird, doesn't mean that;'s the kind of message that is going out.
caveucallachest
Killjoy
caveucallachest
September 3rd, 2007 at 05:52am
Music impacts people, there's no doubt about that. But thousands of people listen to the same music, and not everyone who listens takes drugs, self harms, or anything. I hate when people blame music for their actions or the actions of others. Chances are, when someone does something drastic, there's a lot more going on than "inappropriate" music.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
September 3rd, 2007 at 05:54am
parents were kids too.
so they have went through more then we have yet.
so i think parents do understand the music.
a parent gets mad when they listen to it and dont like the genre or that it has swear words. but once they get the lyrics in there hand they should understand the message and many parents do
xdemolition lover x
Joining The Black Parade
xdemolition lover x
September 3rd, 2007 at 04:14pm
Yes, but usually if they don't like what the music sounds like, they won't take the time to look deeper at the lyrics. Okay, that's enough for me; I don't want to start an argument. =)
Mrs.Lovette
Fabulous Killjoy
Mrs.Lovette
September 4th, 2007 at 12:16am
Some times i think parents just need to realize that just because a band looks weird , dosent mean that they are weird.
scratch that.
i think EVERYONE needs to realize that sometimes , not just our parents .
but , when it comes to blaming music i can see where the parents come from.
and maybe they dont want us to make their same mistakes.
Kimberley.
Really Not Okay
Kimberley.
September 14th, 2007 at 07:54am
i think that music has been used as a scapegoat for far too long. obviously, music has a huge impact on some peoples lives, but for anyone to say that music is to blame when people do bad things is ludicrous. if someone is so mentally unstable that they can be influenced by the lyrics of a song, they clearly have some issues going on that their families just haven't taken the time to notice. i love music, but i'm not going to go out and sell crack on the streets because i listened to a Jay-Z song. the bottom line is, parents need to take responsibility for the actions of the children, not try to blame it on a song.
Captain Jack Wonka.
Shotgun Sinner
Captain Jack Wonka.
September 14th, 2007 at 12:18pm
sometimes it looks like they blame the music but the truth is they just based their blame on how the artists look like... you see, some parents don't actually care to really "listen" to them.
That's the case with my parents.