Don't have an account? Create one!

Straight Edge.

AuthorMessage
Hester Pryne
Killjoy
Hester Pryne
December 27th, 2006 at 11:50am
I think you can be straight edge and under 18 because plenty of people smoke and drink and they aren't old enough legally, but they are old enough to choose to break the law. There's a difference between not having the ability to do something and being punished for doing something. The choice is still there, but there are going to be legal consequences, if you're caught.

I am sXe.
CakePlease.
Motor Baby
CakePlease.
December 27th, 2006 at 12:26pm
First of you can be sXe and be under 18 as its a chose you have made and not what anyone else has, you can also easily get alcohol an such even if you are under age or its band.
Also consider this, in the UK you have to be 18 to buy a drink but in some places such as Denmark (i believe is one of them) you just have to be 16. So does this mean if a danish sXe person decides to go over to the UK that they then become non sXe????????????

Its about a decision and not just about following "the rules".

I would be considered a sXe person but i chose not to label myself one as i feel this would only cause problems.

I personally though would like to use this topic as a discusion of more why you feel it is right or wong, or what it means to you, instead of all this arguing over what it really means to be sXe (like if you should not drink coffee or eat meat, which btw is allowed) as this is how alot of problems start and really takes something away from it when people just have to make such a big deal of a point that doesnt even affect a way of thinking,
You could also start to critasize people unfairly from that, and thats wrong.

If your not careful it could turn into a fashion scene and be striped away from all that was once good about it like so many other things.
Hester Pryne
Killjoy
Hester Pryne
December 27th, 2006 at 02:38pm
Basically I believe that smoking, drinking, adn drugs in general, are unhealthy and they take control of people's lives. i don't want an inanimate object controlling me.
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
December 27th, 2006 at 03:24pm
BlackTangledHeart:
i presonally think that anyone under the age of 18 cant really be classifyed as straight-edge, because people who are straight-edge dont do drugs, or smoke (amongst other things). they cant, because it was illegal in the first palce, so its not like they have the choice to not do it, if they didnt start in the first place.

Classified Drugs don't have an age limit, they are illegal anyway. Very Happy
Plus, smoking and sex are legal at 16 in my country. How does that go with your 18-age limit?

How many teenagers underage drink?
How many teenagers smoke?
How many teenagers have casual sex?

Yeah, it is against the law, but people still do it. Just because I am not old enough to do something, does not mean I am too young to refrain.

I have been told by a straight edge person that I am too young. I knew him when he was fifteen and X'd up, but whatever...Nobody is perfect. I believe that I am old enough to make a descision about how I treat my body. Teen druggies do the same, why should my descision be any less valid or respected?.
mikeygerard
Fabulous Killjoy
mikeygerard
December 27th, 2006 at 05:27pm
well i agree with u on that Bloodraine, alot of peole do things without even thinking in regards to the law.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
December 27th, 2006 at 05:30pm
I would respect that someone can make their decisions by themselves, but when it comes to respecting the decisions they make, I am not obligated to do so.
XxXImXxXNotXxXOkay_
Killjoy
XxXImXxXNotXxXOkay_
December 27th, 2006 at 06:29pm
Respect the whole thing?

Fuck yeah! People who do this are cool!

Do it!

No! I also think it's their dision, But I LOVE Pepsi......Caffene........^.^ And Smoking...Eek! No! But it does cut down on fun-ness you can have when your a teenager!! I know I will never smoke...And I hate most alchol, but I'm thirteen, and a punk ass chick aswell! PLENTY of time to give that up! and I don't think Pot is bad....I don't do it....But I don't think it's bad.....Don't hit me! *Cowers*
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
December 27th, 2006 at 06:58pm

I'm quite confused here.

You're thirteen and you smoke? Or--

Your sentences confused me.
wind opaine.
Patron Saint of Switchblade Fights
wind opaine.
December 27th, 2006 at 08:08pm
I am straight edge, and I get a lot of shit from my friends about it because a large majority of them aren't. They always say 'Donita, you can't be straight edge, go smoke a cigarette or get laid', and most of the time, I either laugh it off or get really pissed off.

I've even had a group laugh at me and tell me 'Go back to Church' after I refused to make out with this dude I didn't know or take a cigarette, and that one pissed me off the most.

I find it harder and harder to stay edge a lot of the time with the people around me doing the things that they do. My brother was edge for a short while, but that really didn't last long. But I stay strong and I try to keep what I believe in with it.

I'm one of the no caffeine and medicine types too.
I also do not brag or try to push my beliefs onto others. I'll ask my friends not to smoke around me so much because smoke bothers me, but that's about it.

I also think that people under legal age CAN be sxe, because even if we are allowed to or not, there is always a way to get a hold of it and do it, my friends aren't of legal age and they smoke and drink and do drugs all the time, but I CHOOSE not to.

I went straight edge for two reasons,
one, my best friend died when I was twelve, and she would never be able to respect me if I smoked or drank or anything like that, and I want to honor her.
and two, I went to a party during my freshman year of high school, and the entire time, it was either sex in one room, drinking in the front room or smoking pot in the backyard and I didn't want to do it because they all acted so weird after they drank and smoked and I really didn't want to see myself like that, I didn't want to be a mess like them, so I sat with another edge kid during the party and ate everyone's taco bell when they all passed out.
=)
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
December 27th, 2006 at 10:20pm
I couldn't live without caffeine or medicine, personally....if you need medicine, what would happen then?
wind opaine.
wind opaine.
December 27th, 2006 at 10:31pm
Well, it's unnecessary medicines.
Advile, nyquil and stuff like that I never take.

If I got seriously ill and I really needed the medicine, I would take prescriptions,
but otherwise, I don't take them.

xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
December 28th, 2006 at 12:17pm
Fair enough.

Although I would think having wicked cramps would absolutely kill me if I couldn't take medicine for them.
wind opaine.
wind opaine.
December 28th, 2006 at 03:41pm
I use natural stuff when it comes to things like that,
Cranberry juice from cramps.
=)

ami
Bleeding on the Floor
ami
December 28th, 2006 at 06:08pm
I don't touch drink or drugs, and i'm certainly too young for promiscuous sex! XD What does that make me? I know i'm not sXe, because, i don't know, you have to label yourself that don't you? But i feel if i don't put this label on myself, people will just think i'm stuck up. I mean, alot of my friends go out and get drunk on weekends, i know a few do drugs, hell, i even know some who've had sex at our age. Just because i don't want to do any of that right now, they get mad at me, and laugh, and mock. Actually, i haunt them about it, and lecture them, and admittedly i come across pretentious. But i only do it because i really care about them and i know what it does to you, i want to protect them and i see no other way of doing it. Is it easier to deal with that sort of stuff when you can just fall back on a label?
Fermez Ton Bouche
Joining The Black Parade
Fermez Ton Bouche
December 28th, 2006 at 07:14pm
I'm straight edge, and have been for almost a year. To be honest I'm tired of the label and I want to make my own decisions and [bombshellforirlfriends] shortly after making it a whole year I plan on breaking edge [/bombshell]. I think I'm responsible enough without it. That's not saying I'm going to go and get shit faced every weekend, I just think I don't need a label preventing me from drinking a beer with my Dad.
ABORTIONABORTION!
Awake and Unafraid
ABORTIONABORTION!
December 28th, 2006 at 11:54pm
im not really all that straight edge.... id never smoke... or do drugs.... but i drink.... and i dont consider myself straight edge.... i just do things as they come..... i dont stop myself... if i feel like doing something at the time i probably will...... i really admire sXe pplz coz they have to have so much self control.... which i have none of...... so yeah i admire them for that.... but i just hate the label..... i hate all labels..... and i just rekkon people should be able to do wateva the hell they want without being labelled.....

i was bored and i just wanted to be heard =]
Sonic Screwdriver
Salute You in Your Grave
Sonic Screwdriver
December 28th, 2006 at 11:59pm
yeah, so i don't think i could consider myself straight edge ever. cuz while i can do without the smoking, drinking, drugs, and sex if i want to i will and no one can stop me. the only thing on that list that i have done so far is the drinking, nothing else yet, just to make sure my sister knows.
Bayside.
Fabulous Killjoy
Bayside.
December 29th, 2006 at 03:48pm
You could say I'm straight edge..I don't do drugs or drink alchohol. I think it's stupid. But I do drink caffine and stuff and I do take medicine...
collateral damage.
Awake and Unafraid
collateral damage.
January 4th, 2007 at 01:58pm
I don't drink, smoke, take drugs, I am a vegitarian and I'm too young to have promiscious sex, does that make me straight edge ? No, it just makes me right.

to me, straigh edge is just another stereotype, a word to make you look cool if your clean of everything. I truly think some of these kids this day are saying they are "straight edge" just to look cool and fit in with the crowd, and then there's people like me, who take it seriously and want to stick with it for a life time. I find people that are "straight edge" have a lot more self controll than other people.
xFallingPunkx
Fabulous Killjoy
xFallingPunkx
January 4th, 2007 at 02:10pm
Ali-kat:
I don't drink, smoke, take drugs, I am a vegitarian and I'm too young to have promiscious sex, does that make me straight edge ? No, it just makes me right.

to me, straigh edge is just another stereotype, a word to make you look cool if your clean of everything. I truly think some of these kids this day are saying they are "straight edge" just to look cool and fit in with the crowd, and then there's people like me, who take it seriously and want to stick with it for a life time. I find people that are "straight edge" have a lot more self controll than other people.

Straight Edge was started by the punk band "Minor Threat" it's not a stereotype, its a lifestyle choice. Its true that there are kids out there who call themselves Straight Edge but don't do like religiously. I'm one of the straight edgers that wear X's on their hands at concerts.
Are you calling yourself Straight Edge?