Don't have an account? Create one!

Straight Edge.

AuthorMessage
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
October 6th, 2008 at 08:29pm
^ I agree, there's nothing wrong with being straight edge, if you're just sticking with what it was intended to be -- a choice, not a bragging right. What gets to me and the reason I detest calling myself "sxe" is that a fair number of straight edge kids are like "oh, I'm better than you because I'm straight edge. You use drugs / alcohol / smoke and are therefore a weak person whereas I am strong." Albeit, some people do that (though not to the same degree) completely unconciously. But, as I said, the only issue I have with the label is all the garbage that gets associated with it. The idea and intentions behind it are good.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
October 7th, 2008 at 12:02am
^ *Sigh*
But that's what I'm SAYING.
The label itself has become so loaded with negative connotations (ie the moron sector of that community), that there really is no reason to label oneself straight-edge, unless you ARE one of those morons.

Like I said, I know a hundred people who don't drink, don't smoke, and don't do drugs, but don't identify themselves as straight-edge, either because the term means nothing to them, or because they hate the way certain edgers act and don't want to be associated with that in any way.

As you said yourself, the idea behind it is a good one. But being sober and drug-free has existed for hundreds of years longer than the term 'straight-edge', so why do you feel this desperate need to identify with some group that's mainly made up of the garbage you try to avoid, when you could just NOT drink, NOT do drugs, etc, without the label?
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
October 7th, 2008 at 07:24am
It's interesting to me that a lot of people are throwing around the word "label" when so many of you are also fighting against being labeled.

I don't care which sub-culture or movement you're into, someone will give you a label based on it. That label will more than likely have negative connotations if it is given by another because it is meant to harm you. Even "sxe" has become a negative label. Whether you are or aren't, it's your choice, and rubbing it in people's faces or going on and on about sxe isn't going to help anyone, it's just going to perpetuate the stereotype and keep the label negative.
Emerald Muerte
Bleeding on the Floor
Emerald Muerte
October 11th, 2008 at 05:52am
psychochip:
It's interesting to me that a lot of people are throwing around the word "label" when so many of you are also fighting against being labeled.

I don't care which sub-culture or movement you're into, someone will give you a label based on it. That label will more than likely have negative connotations if it is given by another because it is meant to harm you. Even "sxe" has become a negative label. Whether you are or aren't, it's your choice, and rubbing it in people's faces or going on and on about sxe isn't going to help anyone, it's just going to perpetuate the stereotype and keep the label negative.

I agree with this. Although, a lot of the time it seems easier to use terms or 'labels' simply to make people understand quickly. I'd prefer not to label myself straight-edge but then again it's hard to tell other people what you identify yourself as within the whole drug/alcohol culture sometimes. Then again at the end of the day you don't have to identify yourself as anything I guess. Sorry if that didn't really make sense.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
October 11th, 2008 at 08:03am
Emerald Muerte:
Then again at the end of the day you don't have to identify yourself as anything I guess.

Exactly.
I don't drink, and don't do drugs (yes, I smoke, so technically I'm not 'edge', but even if I didn't smoke I wouldn't identify myself as edge), and I'm often in social situations where people offer me a drink, or at an old friend's house where they smoke pot, and I'm offered some.
I don't sit there with my hands folded in my lap and say, 'No thanks, I'm straight-edge'. I just say, 'Cheers, but no thanks'. There's no need for me to slap a label on what I do (or don't do, as the case may be), especially when many people who proudly wear such a label, are people who treat others unfairly because they choose a different path in life. There's no need to label oneself in order to 'make people understand quickly' - they either understand that you're not interested in drinking/doing drugs/etc, or they don't - calling yourself this or that doesn't change anything.
HintFEAR08
Killjoy
HintFEAR08
October 15th, 2008 at 08:35pm
I think being straight edge is great. A lot of people are embarrassed to be straight edge, but they need to stand up and be themselves. No one should give into pressure.
Kaleidoscopic mind
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Kaleidoscopic mind
October 16th, 2008 at 07:42am
hmmm... another label for my collection of labels-I-didn't-even-know-about-but-still-already-fit-in-with... Except I actually like this one, having read about it now Smile
vacant3by4-
Killjoy
vacant3by4-
October 20th, 2008 at 12:09pm
i dont think its that great.
i think growing up you wanna experience those things.
im not saying you need drugs to get a high or drink to be relaxed, but they sure help lmao.

and i dont think being straight edge is resisting pressure. i dont feel under any peer pressure at all, i chose to drink, smoke whatever, because i want to experience those things.

and as long as you do nothing exessivvely you shouldnt really have any health problems, so thats not a worry.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
October 20th, 2008 at 12:14pm
I dont see the big problem with people calling themselves straight edge.

I mean, we dont mind when people call themselves christian, or muslim or anything else, what makes this so different?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 20th, 2008 at 10:25pm
Utada Hikaru:
I mean, we dont mind when people call themselves christian, or muslim or anything else, what makes this so different?
Well, first of all, Christianity and Islam are religions... Straight edge isn't. It's more of a lifestyle or a label.
They are actually quite different, but I can kind of see the point you're trying to make.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
October 21st, 2008 at 03:22pm
it's a good lifestyle. if one has the will to stay away from unhealthy and unnecessary things (like a bag of chips for example), and can live without being messed up on something, then that's better for them! Very Happy Clap
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
November 14th, 2008 at 10:38pm
if that's what you want, then go for it.
but i don't think people should tell others that they are 'straight edge.'
i mean, it's just the label tha get's to me.
so many things are associated with it.
and on alot of bebo/myspace, i see a lot of kids with the 'sXe' on the profiles.
and almost all of them aren't even close to the legal age to be to drink, smoke, etc.
Katem
Fabulous Killjoy
Katem
November 15th, 2008 at 05:44am
accessorised bones.:
and almost all of them aren't even close to the legal age to be to drink, smoke, etc.

I don't think the legal age has much to do with it.. I dunno about other countries but it seems to me that underage kids can get drunk, smoke and get high pretty easily. They still have a choice on whether they do these things or not, although it isn't legal.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
November 15th, 2008 at 09:13am
There's nothing wrong with this lifestyle but I don't understand why there needs to be labels at all. By reading this description of "Straight Edge" I fall into this catagory, but I don't call myself a "Straight Edge".
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 15th, 2008 at 05:18pm
Kaede:
There's nothing wrong with this lifestyle but I don't understand why there needs to be labels at all. By reading this description of "Straight Edge" I fall into this catagory, but I don't call myself a "Straight Edge".
And you don't have to call yourself straight edge just because you don't do those things. The label, I feel, is just what people call themselves to feel like they're part of some lifestyle or subculture.
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
November 15th, 2008 at 07:48pm
Katem:
I don't think the legal age has much to do with it.. I dunno about other countries but it seems to me that underage kids can get drunk, smoke and get high pretty easily. They still have a choice on whether they do these things or not, although it isn't legal.

i understand where you're coming from.
but tbh, underage people calling themselves straight edge is pretty stupid.
why label themselves?
Katem
Fabulous Killjoy
Katem
November 15th, 2008 at 08:23pm
accessorised bones.:
i understand where you're coming from.
but tbh, underage people calling themselves straight edge is pretty stupid.
why label themselves?

Yes but in that case, why should anyone label themselves? I don't think young people have a unique position in this argument, they're just like anyone else who identifies themself as being straight edge.
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
November 15th, 2008 at 09:44pm
Katem:
Yes but in that case, why should anyone label themselves? I don't think young people have a unique position in this argument, they're just like anyone else who identifies themself as being straight edge.

the straight edge label has become too much.
i know people who are legally allowed to drink [but choose not to],
and refuse to call themselves straigt edge.
young people, in a way, have a place in this.
they obviously know about the consequences of drinking,
and the cpnsequences of calling themselves straight edge.
but until they are old enough to do anything relating to the staright edge lifestyle,
they really shouldn't call themselves that.
Katem
Fabulous Killjoy
Katem
November 16th, 2008 at 03:23am
accessorised bones.:
but until they are old enough to do anything relating to the staright edge lifestyle,
they really shouldn't call themselves that. [/size][/font]

I could be completely missing something here, but what does "anything relating to the straight edge lifestyle" mean, and why wouldn't young people be able to do it? Apart from the obvious drinking and drug taking, which young people seem to be perfectly able to do regardless of the law.
I'm not saying anything about whether young people should label themselves or not, my point is that young people aren't any different to adults in terms of chosing not to do drugs/alcohol etc, and therefore whether they identify themselves as being part of the straight edge lifestyle.
Unless what you said is just a personal opinion.
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
November 16th, 2008 at 05:34am
Katem:
they really shouldn't call themselves that. [/size][/font]
I could be completely missing something here, but what does "anything relating to the straight edge lifestyle" mean, and why wouldn't young people be able to do it? Apart from the obvious drinking and drug taking, which young people seem to be perfectly able to do regardless of the law.
I'm not saying anything about whether young people should label themselves or not, my point is that young people aren't any different to adults in terms of chosing not to do drugs/alcohol etc, and therefore whether they identify themselves as being part of the straight edge lifestyle.
Unless what you said is just a personal opinion.

what i meant by that was, they shouldn't be calling themselves straight edge.
imo, until they are over the legal age limit, then they shouldn't call themselves that.
most young people probably have no access not alcohol and drugs.
and becasue of this, they call themselves straight ege, which is pointless.