Don't have an account? Create one!

Straight Edge.

AuthorMessage
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
November 16th, 2008 at 07:20pm
I personally don't get this debate. If you are straightedge, then you are. I have many friends who consider themselves edge. Just because they're underage doesn't mean their decision is debased. When it comes to drugs, age doesn't matter. Drugs are illegal at any age, and it's not impossible to get them when you're young. In fact, it's really fucking easy. So no, it's not stupid to call yourself straightedge if you're a kid. Because you're still living by the rules.

As for the cigarette / alcohol thing, it's also really easy to get both of those. When I was a bit younger, I habitually smoked and drank. It's a choice at any age. Just because it's not legal doesn't change that kids are either choosing to do these things or not. I think this whole "kids can't decide shit" viewpoint is just ageism. Just because someone is young does not mean they're stupid or don't have viewpoints that matter. A human is a human, and choices are choices. Legal age limits are just as important as we pretend they are. A choice to do drugs, however, is a choice that is important.
Katem
Fabulous Killjoy
Katem
November 17th, 2008 at 04:21am
accessorised bones.:
what i meant by that was, they shouldn't be calling themselves straight edge.
imo, until they are over the legal age limit, then they shouldn't call themselves that.
most young people probably have no access not alcohol and drugs.
and becasue of this, they call themselves straight ege, which is pointless.

From my point of view, young people have almost the access to alcohol, promiscuous sex and drugs as anyone over the legal age. And as the person above me said, there is no legal age for drugs, but plenty of people are still into them. Including young people.
I've never heard of anyone calling themselves straight edge simply because they aren't allowed to do these things. It seems to me that to consider calling yourself straight edge, whether you want the label or not, a choice to follow the lifestyle is made at some point. And young people are perfectly "eligible" to make that choice - because in most places, if you're underage and you want to get drugs, get alcohol, sleep around, you can.
I think I'm just.. repeating myself now.
drink ourselves dry.
Crash Queen
drink ourselves dry.
November 17th, 2008 at 04:54am
Katem:
From my point of view, young people have almost the access to alcohol, promiscuous sex and drugs as anyone over the legal age. And as the person above me said, there is no legal age for drugs, but plenty of people are still into them. Including young people.I've never heard of anyone calling themselves straight edge simply because they aren't allowed to do these things. It seems to me that to consider calling yourself straight edge, whether you want the label or not, a choice to follow the lifestyle is made at some point. And young people are perfectly "eligible" to make that choice - because in most places, if you're underage and you want to get drugs, get alcohol, sleep around, you can.
I think I'm just.. repeating myself now.

dw, you're not repeating yourself. [:
tbh, i think this topic is based on personal views, i guess.
so either, this may never end.
i understand where you're coming from,
and it's great you have your own opinion on this.
Dir-en-grey
Joining The Black Parade
Dir-en-grey
November 19th, 2008 at 12:48pm
I have respect for straight edge people. My girlfriend for example is straight edge. Im lucky to have someone like that. I am going straight edge and its hard after not being for so long. It's really the persons choice.
MCRMY53
Killjoy
MCRMY53
November 21st, 2008 at 01:35am
i never knew it was called "straightedge." i always refered to it as abstinance, or to abstain from alchohal, sex, drugs, anything. it's a conservative and moral life style i have even promised myself to keep. it's either that or feer of trying to do these things. am "straightedged" and don't plan on having sex untill i'm maried and never plan on using drugs or alchohal. i've seen way to many bad out comes with people and teens who get any where neer that stuff. it's eiher that i want to keep my body pure for my true love or that i'm just afraid of girls and or getting someome pregnate by accident. remember, 18 minutes of pleasure isn't worth 18 years of hell
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 20th, 2009 at 01:42pm
i think straight edge is a good idea

but personally i wouldn't want to do it

just feels like your giving up a lot and for what in return?
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 20th, 2009 at 01:44pm
also it does sound like being a chirstian without the faith part lol

like christians believe in not drinking alcohol (or well some believe u can but not get drunk), not taking drugs, not smoking and not having sex til your married...
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 20th, 2009 at 11:33pm
ClaireBear016:
also it does sound like being a chirstian without the faith part lol

like christians believe in not drinking alcohol (or well some believe u can but not get drunk), not taking drugs, not smoking and not having sex til your married...
[Um, Christians can drink alcohol O.o
I have religious friends who drink quite a bit - to them it has nothing to do with what they believe in. Same with taking drugs and having sex. Granted, all the people I know who do drugs are not religious, but I don't think it really goes against their religion - I think it would have more to do with how they were raised, the friends they hang around, their environment...
And some Christians don't believe in the "no sex before marriage thing". I think it's important to realise that not all Christians are exactly the same when it comes to lifestyle.
K.K.
Bleeding on the Floor
K.K.
April 21st, 2009 at 07:48am
^Yeah, I don't think this 'straight edge' thing has anything much to do with religion either.
I'm pretty much like that. But I guess it doesn't count for a 13 year old(?)...
It's pretty cool actually! I didn't know they had a name for that!
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 21st, 2009 at 07:08pm
*sighs* i wasn't sayin that

i mean like its similar, and i wasnt sayin all christians are the same but for the christian that do live like that it is similar
gerardgrl23
Killjoy
gerardgrl23
April 23rd, 2009 at 01:57pm
im a straight edge 4 sure
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 24th, 2009 at 07:06am
i think that Striahgt Edge could save alot of people.

if we teach young children to be Straight Edge
then we could have less unhealthy people
and they will havr a better understanding.

but we have to let them make their own decision.