Don't have an account? Create one!

Straight Edge.

AuthorMessage
gia
Bleeding on the Floor
gia
June 13th, 2006 at 05:54pm
r o c k s t a r:
I actually respect the straight edge people, who are not of legal age, because that's the point in your life when you're more likely to be pressured into doing these sorts of things.
I think it takes alot of balls to say "no" to drugs or alcohol at the age of thirteen or fourteen, when "all the cool kids are doing it", and are pressuring you into trying it.

Do you really think that is the age when you come across the most temptations? What about college? And then your adult life? I'd really like to see how many of these "sXe kids" will maintain the same way of life once they become legal and get to go to parties in bars or other similar places.

This straight edge wave reminds me of the period when Britney Spears had her first hits. Just because she said she would remain virgin until her wedding day, "saving yourself" became very popular among young girls. Now it's the same thing: there are a lot of artists who have declared they are straight edge, and now more and more of their fans try to adopt their way of life. Don't get me wrong, I really respect those who have taken this decision by themselves, because they really believe in these principles. But there are not too many such people.
Thnks fr th vnm
Demolition Lover
Thnks fr th vnm
June 13th, 2006 at 06:46pm
No, no, no, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I don't respect those who are older, and have made the decision to be straight edge. I'm just saying I respect the younger one's, as well, because of the peer pressure at that age. It wasn't even two days ago that I thought the oher way, then realized that I was wrong.
At a younger age, personally I find, there's more peer pressure, although I can't say anything for being at college/university or when you're an adult, because I'm only seventeen yet.
Personally, I plan to remain a virgin until I'm married, that's my decision, but that's getting off topic.
I can see most of these kids remaining straight edge, not all maybe, but some. If it's something they really believe in, and aren't doing it just becuase "that really cool guy in that band" is straight edge.

Wheather you're thirteen or thirty, being straight edge is an excellent thing. More people should be like them. (I don't mean to sound like I'm sterotyping someone by saying "them", I just mean it in the sense that I'm not straight edge.)
matt skiba!
Awake and Unafraid
matt skiba!
June 13th, 2006 at 07:22pm
gia:

Do you really think that is the age when you come across the most temptations? What about college? And then your adult life? I'd really like to see how many of these "sXe kids" will maintain the same way of life once they become legal and get to go to parties in bars or other similar places.

This straight edge wave reminds me of the period when Britney Spears had her first hits. Just because she said she would remain virgin until her wedding day, "saving yourself" became very popular among young girls. Now it's the same thing: there are a lot of artists who have declared they are straight edge, and now more and more of their fans try to adopt their way of life. Don't get me wrong, I really respect those who have taken this decision by themselves, because they really believe in these principles. But there are not too many such people.

I go to bars all the time and Im straight edge. Just because I dont put any poison in my body doesnt mean I dont go to these places to socialize.
salmiakki
Killjoy
salmiakki
June 15th, 2006 at 08:01am
I've been wondering what the exact definition of promiscuous/casual sex is in context with straight edge? Promiscuity can, after all, be seen as anything from having sex before marriage to having sex with somebody whose name you don't know.
matt skiba!
Awake and Unafraid
matt skiba!
June 15th, 2006 at 08:07am
salmiakki:
I've been wondering what the exact definition of promiscuous/casual sex is in context with straight edge? Promiscuity can, after all, be seen as anything from having sex before marriage to having sex with somebody whose name you don't know.

Sex is not promisicous when its in a loving relationship, married or not.
salmiakki
Killjoy
salmiakki
June 15th, 2006 at 08:30am
But what is a loving relarionship? is it immediately casual sex if two consenting adults who respect eachother have a one-night stand that doesnt hurt either one of them?
If "no promiscuous sex" is one of the guidelines in sXe, then can you "claim the edge" if your philosophy on sex is that "if it doesn't hurt you, it doesn't hurt your partner and it leavs a good taste in the mouth when its over, then it's OK"?
This would then leave everybody to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with.
matt skiba!
Awake and Unafraid
matt skiba!
June 15th, 2006 at 08:36am
salmiakki:
But what is a loving relarionship? is it immediately casual sex if two consenting adults who respect eachother have a one-night stand that doesnt hurt either one of them?
If "no promiscuous sex" is one of the guidelines in sXe, then can you "claim the edge" if your philosophy on sex is that "if it doesn't hurt you, it doesn't hurt your partner and it leavs a good taste in the mouth when its over, then it's OK"?
This would then leave everybody to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with.

Basically, it means only have sex if your in love with the person, otherwise its meaningless, which is true.
salmiakki
Killjoy
salmiakki
June 15th, 2006 at 08:56am
Why is it only meaningfull if youre in love with the person you have sex with? to what extent do you have to be in love with them? maybe there are deep feelings and a connectin but not enough to sustain a long relationship. If a person feels the sex he/she has is meaningfull even though it's not in a relationship, can he/she still be straight edge?

Ps: I hope i'm not being annoying, because I'm just curious about the sXe and there's a lot of vagueness in the definition. I'm also glad that you've taken the time to ansvere my questions Smile
Sylvia.
Salute You in Your Grave
Sylvia.
June 15th, 2006 at 09:13pm
salmiakki:
Why is it only meaningfull if youre in love with the person you have sex with? to what extent do you have to be in love with them? maybe there are deep feelings and a connectin but not enough to sustain a long relationship. If a person feels the sex he/she has is meaningfull even though it's not in a relationship, can he/she still be straight edge?

Ps: I hope i'm not being annoying, because I'm just curious about the sXe and there's a lot of vagueness in the definition. I'm also glad that you've taken the time to ansvere my questions Smile

Sex means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.
Personally, I believe that sex is not entirely about love. I think if there is mutual trust, deep feelings, and strong loyalty between two consenting adults, then sex is appropriate. A lot of people who are in love may choose to have sex, but I don`t believe that it ALWAYS has to do with love.
Though I am a virgin, this is one of my opinions concerning sex. People are probably going to disagree with my opinion, but that`s just what I feel. Anyways, back to the topic of straight-edge.

I just recently found out what this whole "straight-edge" deal is, and it`s safe to say that I think it`s a GREAT thing. I am planning to stay away from alcohol, even when I am legal. Of course I realize that alcohol in moderation is fairly harmless, but I`d rather not get into it at all. I`ve taken sips in front of my parents before, and I feel like it wouldn`t be a huge loss. As for drugs, I have always been strongly against it. Never touched a drug in my life, and I plan to keep it that way. I don`t do it because it`s "lyke, so effin` scene!!1!1". I do it because I have good values and it`s something I believe in. I`m not sure whether that makes me sXe, but if my values stay the same when I`m legal, I suppose it would.
Kiss Me Contagious
Fabulous Killjoy
Kiss Me Contagious
June 19th, 2006 at 01:46am
I think Straight Edge is cool. I myself am not Straight Edge but one of my friends is and I was thinking about it but I'm in the considering process. But I think I'm going to become Straight Edge cause I've seen the result of drugs, drinking, and smokeing. One of my friends lost his kid because of drugs and drinking and my parents are smokers and it scares me because I'm afraid I'm going to lose them from it....
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
June 21st, 2006 at 09:56am
Not that I do any of that stuff but it seems a little boring to me. I mean... Not taking medicine?
MerciPourLeVenin_XXX
Really Not Okay
MerciPourLeVenin_XXX
June 21st, 2006 at 10:30am
^^^^i agree. IF you're sick and the only way to heal is through medicine, what are you going to do...just die and never know what your life was going to be like?
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 21st, 2006 at 01:42pm
rox_my_sox:
Not that I do any of that stuff but it seems a little boring to me. I mean... Not taking medicine?

Not all sXe people do that. In fact, not many do.
A lot abstain from taking unnecessary meds, but if you really are sick I doubt anyone is going to complain when you take a pill to get better. There is a huge difference between taking alcohol, cocaine, herion, whatever, than taking dextromethorphan when you have a sore throat.

Besides, I take prescription drugs because I have to. Not so much now, but in the past I have seriously needed medication. If keeping myself alive means I have violate my own straight edge rules, then I can deal with that.
MerciPourLeVenin_XXX
Really Not Okay
MerciPourLeVenin_XXX
June 21st, 2006 at 01:43pm
are all sXe people veg[etari]an?
Bloodraine
Jazz Hands
Bloodraine
June 21st, 2006 at 01:45pm
xXpunk_princessXx:
are all sXe people veg[etari]an?

Nope.
Some are, but some aren't. It all depends on the person.
Roxx my Soxx
Bleeding on the Floor
Roxx my Soxx
June 21st, 2006 at 06:23pm
Bloodraine:
rox_my_sox:

Not all sXe people do that. In fact, not many do.
A lot abstain from taking unnecessary meds, but if you really are sick I doubt anyone is going to complain when you take a pill to get better. There is a huge difference between taking alcohol, cocaine, herion, whatever, than taking dextromethorphan when you have a sore throat.

Besides, I take prescription drugs because I have to. Not so much now, but in the past I have seriously needed medication. If keeping myself alive means I have violate my own straight edge rules, then I can deal with that.

Oh... well that's cool. I actually almost never take medicine. When my mom wants to give me stuff for a sore throat or something I'm like, "Mom, people didn't have medicine in the olden days. Cut me some slack." The only time I have taken medicine was when I had meningitis, scarlet fever, strep(?) throat, and when I get migraines. Basically only for the serious stuff. I just don't like the stuff.
The Christine And I
Salute You in Your Grave
The Christine And I
July 1st, 2006 at 04:30pm
I'm straight edge but not because I'm underage, it's because drinking/using drugs/smoking has never appealed to me.

I've grown up with alcohol, I've had it before, but now that I've seen my parents get into verbal arguments because my dad was drunk I realized i don't want to be like that.

Using drugs doesn't appeal to me, however I will take over the counter medacine like Advil or Tylenol.
Quinn.
Bleeding on the Floor
Quinn.
July 2nd, 2006 at 09:47pm
straight edge is a personal choice. i am straight edge. straight edge for me means that i can make my own choices. i have more self control. i've seen the effects of drinking and drugs...its not pretti.

it's also helpd me from spiralling down the wrong path
madame angst
Salute You in Your Grave
madame angst
July 3rd, 2006 at 01:53pm
I think straight edge could be a possibility for me in the future. It seems like a good idea. Very Happy
Hip -Like Badass-
Salute You in Your Grave
Hip -Like Badass-
July 4th, 2006 at 01:28am
it's a nice idea, but i think the lifestyle would be too boring for me.