Don't have an account? Create one!

Straight Edge.

AuthorMessage
ALLIEmazing
Fabulous Killjoy
ALLIEmazing
February 1st, 2008 at 02:31pm
asha molly.:
I don't have a problem with Straight Edgers, but I do have a problem with it when they try and force their beliefs onto other people.

I know not all Straight Edgers are like that, but a lot of them that I have met are.

i have to disagree, my best friend was straight edge but she never pushed it on me, and ive met other people that are straightedge, as well as myself. and i never did that.

i was straightedge for a while and i respect everyone that is, but after smoking i dont see a point to being sxe, i understand you wanna be healthy but weed doesnt do anything to you.
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
February 1st, 2008 at 04:53pm
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/evidence99/marijuana/Health_1.html ^
as an asthmatic
i disagree with it not doing anything to you

the problem with making sweeping generalizations is that infact they are generalizations. No matter where are you, nor who they are, if someone is straight edge they might push it on your or might now, it depends on the person, not their choices in life
Catastrophic Hymns
Joining The Black Parade
Catastrophic Hymns
February 4th, 2008 at 03:55pm

I respect MOST straight edge kids.

I respect the straight edge kids who just kindly say "No thank you, I don't do those sort of things."
For reasons like religion, or just because they don't want to fuck up their body.

Good. More power to them.

I just cannot.fucking.stand the kids that are like;
"YOU DRINK!?! YOU ARE SO GROSS! BECAUSE YOU SMOKED THAT CIGARETTE YOU ARE EXCLUDED FROM MY GROUP, NEVER EVER EVER TALK TO ME AGAIN!"

Just because I have cigarettes in my pocket, doesn't mean I want YOU to smoke one. They're for me. They're mine. MINE. I'm greedy. I don't want you to have them. Same with my alcohol. Those sort of straight edge kids bother the piss out of me.

But I respect the others. Good for them, I'm proud. <3

P A N D O R A
Demolition Lover
P A N D O R A
February 4th, 2008 at 11:36pm

I don't drink claim SxE even though i don't fuck, drink, smoke, or do drugs, and I am a vegetarian.
I don't really see the point..it's like w/e.
If you are thats great!
But if you arn't like whatever it's your life if it starts taking over your life I may be like "Maybe you should think about quiting or doing less" but only if it is the right time and person, and my place to be.
never coming home.
Bleeding on the Floor
never coming home.
February 5th, 2008 at 06:22pm
I think that there are three different perspectives on life that pertain to straight edge.
1. I think that there are the people that think that you have one life to live so you might as well have as much "fun" as you can by drinking to get drunk and doing drugs to get high.
2. There are also the people that drink in moderation, smoke (in some cases) a little bit but don't really get high or anything like that.
3. Then there are the people who also realize they only have one life to live and want to do it "cleanly", like those who don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or have promiscuous sex. (Straight Edge) Some even go as far as avoiding caffeine, pain killers, and go vegan/vegetarian.

And before I get attacked for saying that, I know that that isn't the reason in all cases. I know that sometimes you just get hooked on drugs and alcohol. But that's the reason I became a vegetarian. I don't drink, smoke, or use drugs and I don't plan to. I'm not sure if I'm straight edge or not, because I'm only thirteen and I've heard a lot of debate on the age factor. I think that straight edge is a great, healthy lifestyle choice for anyone to follow.

Edit: And for everyone that is trying to get rid of the caffeine, chewing an apple is just as effective at waking you up in the morning as drinking a cup of coffee. Chewing works to stimulate the central nervous system.
Knitted.monkey.sock
Salute You in Your Grave
Knitted.monkey.sock
February 5th, 2008 at 09:54pm
I guess I am "straight edge"
my friends did their media doco on straightedgers, but i think that its just a little more than choosing not to smoke, drink or do drugs. i dont do those things and people 'think' that i'm straight edge.
But i think that you kinda need to do outragous stunts to somehow "prove" how much fun you can have without those substances?
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
February 6th, 2008 at 02:04am
^outragous stunts?
i think i lost you
never coming home.
Bleeding on the Floor
never coming home.
February 6th, 2008 at 08:24pm
Volt-Zorg Boy:
^outragous stunts?
i think i lost you

Maybe I'm totally off the mark but I think she meant that you have to like jump out of an airplane or do something completely "outrageous" in a way of big. Like something that you would never do in any other case. Yes, I realize I'm probably completely wrong, but that's what i thought that it meant.
Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 24th, 2008 at 09:18pm
I actually kind of like that lifestyle. It may be strict, but it would be a really great idea for anyone who needs to turn their life around. I might try that sometime in the future...
DanniDaydream
Joining The Black Parade
DanniDaydream
March 31st, 2008 at 03:02pm
I'm straight edge with the whole smoking/drinking/recreational drugs shizzle. Personally I don't need substances to help me have a good time.
But if people like to drink, it's their life. As long as their not hurting anyone (being violent because of being drunk etc) then live and let die.
Colorado Sunrise.
Salute You in Your Grave
Colorado Sunrise.
March 31st, 2008 at 08:00pm
I guess i'm 1.5 or 1 of a quarter straight edge.
I think it's great.

(=
you know, staying healthy.
Although these days, straight edge have been developing some sort of a style.
I personally don't like that but that'd be me going of topic, babbling again )=

So basically, it's a unharming thing to do which is great.
Skellington.
Killjoy
Skellington.
March 31st, 2008 at 08:16pm
I love the idea of straight edge.
I know that if more people were straight edge the world would be a lot better.
There would be a lot less of half the problems facing people today.
But I also don't like the way some straight edge people act.
Some people try shoving it down your throat and I find that wrong.
You shouldn't push your beliefs/lifestyle on anyone and you also shouldn't not like someone who doesn't have the same lifestyle or beliefs as you
mer von d
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mer von d
April 1st, 2008 at 09:18pm
i totally respect sxe kids, like i think it's amazing that they can be so committed, but i can't stand it when they try to shove it down your throat
Kira Lawliet
Fabulous Killjoy
Kira Lawliet
April 1st, 2008 at 10:25pm
I live a sort of sXe lifestyle. That's how I was raised, but I stll think I would be like that anyway. Being healthy is important to me, so I try to be sXe. I am christian though, but I don't know if that matters. Does it? With sXe?
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
April 2nd, 2008 at 12:10am
religion and straight edge have nothing to do with eachother
never did, never will
the original philosophy "don't drink don't fuck don't smoke"
is followed by many people who are agnostic/atheist
straight edge is a philosophy, not a religion
a_h
Thinking Happy Thoughts
a_h
April 2nd, 2008 at 04:11pm
Vince Noir:
I have a lot of respect for people who are straight edge. They have much greater willpower than I do and are much stronger people.
The world probably would be a better place if everyone was straight edge, but people always seem to do what is worst for them no matter what.
Like I implied above I am not straight edge. I sometimes wish I was but at others I think trying "bad" things out is all part of growing up - a stupid irresponsible part, but a part none-the-less.

but the thing is that you see it happen to other people as you gorw up. you see them spiraling down whenever they do dumb things. you dont have to be part of the whole trying bad things in order to grow up and learn from it. i think that what you just said is an excuse that people use for their stupid actions "well its a part of growing up". watching and learning from other peoples mistakes and making better decisions is a part of growing up. and being edge is a sign that you are growing up because you see what bad things do to other people. you dont need to try bad things in order to grow and mature.
dark desire.
Salute You in Your Grave
dark desire.
April 2nd, 2008 at 05:22pm
I am completely for it. I live the lifestyle and actually am kind of for the label. Not only does it ecourage staying clean, but in my experience, if you turn down drinking, drugs, etc. you are labeled as a "goody goody" and I've lost a lot of respect from people that way.

If you say you're straight edge, you just get an "Oh, okay. Whatever."

Saves a lot of patronization.
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
April 3rd, 2008 at 05:36am
I live pretty straight-edge (don't drink, smoke, do drugs or have sex, though I'll still swear when I feel like it and I'm only part-time vegetarian Wink) but I wouldn't say that I am straight edge. For one thing, labels always seemed like they were for people cooler than me, and for another... I don't know. Having to give it a name seems kind of stupid. It's just the way I happen to want to live.

Most of my friends around my age are kind of like me: Straight edge, but not saying anything about it. It's just how they feel. I don't tend to rag on people for doing stuff like smoking or drinking, just because so many of my adult friends (parents' friends) smoke and drink in moderation.

Just my two cents.
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
April 3rd, 2008 at 10:12am
^swear?
most sxe kids i know have themouths of sailors
not tonight
Thinking Happy Thoughts
not tonight
April 16th, 2008 at 08:41pm
I turned straight edge not very long ago and most people I know don't support it. i'm glad I found this topic.