AuthorMessage
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
May 2nd, 2008 at 01:14pm
^ no
because i know that the pressures to drink, hits at a rather young age
moreover, it is rather easy to get alcohol as a high school freshman, around 14

the only issues that i have with people who say they are straight edge is, if they plan to stay edge.
claming straight edge status is one thing, keeping it is another
i know people who have claimed edge at 15, and they're now in the 20's and have no plans of breaking, though there are also people who say they're edge then break edge at 21 just because they think they don't need it anymore
Marc Webb.
Salute You in Your Grave
Marc Webb.
May 2nd, 2008 at 03:19pm
My boyfriend and my friend are both straight edge, and I admire them very much for it. Yet, I myself like to drink on occasion.
My Demise
Bleeding on the Floor
My Demise
May 2nd, 2008 at 03:38pm
I follow the straight edge philosphy, but I don't really call myself it.

For me, it all started when I saw my parents, my uncle and my aunt drunk. As a young child, that was terrible. I can still remember how afraid I was.
Being drunk makes you another person. You can't walk properly, you can't speak properly and your eyes are lifeless. It's a miserable state to be in, and I don't want to be in that state.

So, since I was ten or so, I decided to never drink alcohol.

My parents always have alcohol home at weekends.
They sometimes ask me if I want some, but of course I don't want.
My sister began to drink alcohol when she was in my age (soon fifteen).
She thinks I'm weird because I haven't been drinking alcohol yet.

As it comes to smoking, we all know it's ridiculous and meaningless.
It's kinda like buying your own death.
Same goes along with drugs in most cases.

And casual sex is a thing I'm also against.
The whole idea of it just seems so gross.

And the additional stuff; caffeine, being vegeterian and medicines.
I can not see myself as a vegeterian/vegan/lacto-ovo or whatever.
I don't yet drink coffee or other drinks with it,
but we'll see what the future brings.

With pills and medicines, I have no medical conditions that requires medicines and such. If I ever get one, I have nothing against it.

I also agree that the world could be, atleast a bit,
better if more people were SxE.

There is a girl in my class, who in the beginning of this year, drank alcoholic beverages at a party, boasted with it at school and shouted: I wanna drink again!

Today, she is a member of a anti-alcohol association kind of sort, but I think she only does that for the people who are there, the trips they have and the "fun" they have. <.<

Sorry that it's kinda long, but it's an interesting topic. xD
Marc Webb.
Salute You in Your Grave
Marc Webb.
May 3rd, 2008 at 11:33am
I really don't find a problem with drinking socially. I mean I'm almost 16, but I drink at parties.
I've never drunk to excess. I don't feel the need to.
But neither do I shout at my friends for getting drunk.
I mean my friend rhys was almost sick all over me the other month. But I still stayed outside with him and made sure he didnt choke, that he had water and that he went home safely.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 4th, 2008 at 04:54am

to ad to this i find that some edge kids will look down on you because you drink. i mean this may not be the case all the time but i was drinking at a party one time and i got some pretty filfthy looks at some kids who weerent drinking. i wasnt even drunk
and ide only had one drink for that night .

Pansy Wolf
Fabulous Killjoy
Pansy Wolf
May 5th, 2008 at 01:01pm
Loads of my friends drink and smoke and stuff. And they can do that it's there choice, but i'm straightedge. Well close enough, i don't drink do drugs or smoke. And i am sortof turning into a vegetarianSmile

I like it though, i don't see the point in going out getting hammered and not remembering anything, sounds great.*rolls eyes*

Hmm, i'm not gonna shove my beliefs down peoples throats i do this fo rmy own reasons, life life how you want, and stan dup to your own expectations
YEAHVery Happy
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
May 6th, 2008 at 11:28am
I think going completely straight edge is a little ott, because things can be done in moderation, and be okay. I don't smoke, but I know people that do, and I know they know it is going to kill them, and I think that is their choice, but I don't think smoking is 'good' for want of a better word.

I think drinking alcohol is fine, as long as you only do it in an environment where you wouldn't be embarrassed if you did something stupid, and you wouldn't get into danger. Drinking alcohol is quite a traditional thing to do a lot of cultures, and as long as you know not to drink too much too often, and never before midday, then sure, go ahead and drink. My dad was an alcoholic, and it destroyed my family, but I think as long as you can drink in moderation, then I don't think there is a problem.

I'm not 'for' taking recreational drugs, because they can really f*ck you up inside, and you get hooked, and it destroys you. I don't really think there is an acceptable limit for that sort of thing.

Having promiscuous sex hurts people, although if you both know that all you want is sex, then I think it is okay. As long as both people are fine with it just being a one night stand, you use protection, neither person is involved with someone, then I don't see the problem...

Avoiding caffeine, and unnecessary medicines, imo, is kinda stupid, no offense, because caffeine doesn't hurt anyone, it can really help you wake up, and keep going throughout the day if you can't eat.

Some people feel that medication they have to take is unnecessary, when really it is, and in certain cases, this may make them a danger to themselves.

Does unnecessary medicinal drugs mean not taking pain killers, but instead putting up with the pain?
MCRmy_nightmare
Killjoy
MCRmy_nightmare
May 6th, 2008 at 11:44am
some of my friends smoke, but not much of them drink. Were just not into that, you know? I don't do drugs or anything, but I do drink a little (my family does it all the time) my boyfriend did drugs and he used to drink. but after we've gone out for awhile and I found out, he quit cuz I didn't like it. now he only smokes, and he drinks on special occasions, like I do (holidays, birthdays, etc.) I'm against drinking in many ways. it turns nice people into complete assholes. my father and my mother both drink, and when they do, it gets bad. I would think that they're smart enough to realize such things, but I guess I was wrong. I adore Gerard for aiming to be sober. a guy like him shouldn't have to turn to alcohol and drugs. honestly, I will one day try smoking, but I don't want to become addicted to it.
xxjaimiexx
Killjoy
xxjaimiexx
May 6th, 2008 at 11:44am
some of my friends smoke, and qutie a few drink, and some even do drugs, i can not say i could live life as a straigt edge because i have drank and i have tried smoking. am i proud of that ABSOLUTLY NOT. but every teen wants to fit in no matter what it takes or the consequences. i knoiw i have tried all that becasue of the famous line" COME ON YOU BIG BABY" and i hated being called a baby so i did it. then it made me think of the choices i had made to try that, now i know im much better off without it. yes i still drink on occassion but not like i used to. i would sip off some nasty drinks and get plastered. now i know im not doing this for my benifit because all it does is make you stupid. thats why i think so many teens chose not to live the straigt edge way of life.
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
May 6th, 2008 at 01:08pm
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
Avoiding caffeine, and unnecessary medicines, imo, is kinda stupid, no offense, because caffeine doesn't hurt anyone, it can really help you wake up, and keep going throughout the day if you can't eat.

Some people feel that medication they have to take is unnecessary, when really it is, and in certain cases, this may make them a danger to themselves.

Does unnecessary medicinal drugs mean not taking pain killers, but instead putting up with the pain?
caffine is a drug, and most americans are addicted to it, infact there are only trace amounts in things like mountain dew. I think tea has more caffine then any drink (minus enegry drinks).the reason there are trace amounts because something like an ounce of pure caffine will kill you. It also dehydrates you

and no, it does not mean not taking painkillers. using painkillers as a recreational drug would be where it becomes wrong
Sonny Moore.
Fabulous Killjoy
Sonny Moore.
May 8th, 2008 at 07:14pm
I guess I'm a little straight edge. I've never really consciously tried to be so, I've just never seen the appeal of drinking or doing drugs or whatever. A lot of people seem to think that I'm weird for not drinking, since most people I know have been drinking for years

I have drunk alcohol before and just didn't enjoy it. I've never been drunk, and I'd never want to be. I've never touched drugs and as long as I have my senses, I never will. I also avoid painkillers, but that's just a personal dislike of the way they make me feel; I don't like to feel numb. Like I said, I don't have some moral objection and I'm not consciously trying to be straight edge. I do, however, drink a lot of drinks with caffeine

But I totally don't look down on anyone who does
If that's what you like to do, then that's your lifestyle
I have nothing but respect for a friend of mine who tried marijuana (he hated it, by the way, haha) and I have a few friends wo are recreational drug users
That's just not my lifestyle

Sadly, I know some straight edge people who look down on others for being different. It's quite sad really
Harlequinn
Salute You in Your Grave
Harlequinn
May 9th, 2008 at 12:30am
i am straightedge and proud of it. some straightedge ppl dont take a lot of prescription pills and stuff but since im always sick i cant really do that part.

it takes a ton of willpower, esp. when u dont know many ppl like you
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
June 10th, 2008 at 09:37pm
Just checking up on the forums, I used to come on here real often.

Somewhere throughout this forum I have some posts about the topic, idk how in-depth I ever got though.

I used to consider myself straight-edge for a long while, and I'd still consider myself it if it needed to come up.

Throughout highschool, I have only met two people who have ever even mentioned Straight Edge. I mentioned it to my friends a month-ish ago, and none of them have ever even heard of it. Even some of the "alternative crowd" had mixxed messages about it.

I live in the Raliegh area of NC, so it's a pretty populous area, so maybe it's just the area, but I have a feeling that the whole Straight Edge-thing has kind've died down a bit.

I'm just wondering how popular or well known is Straight Edge in your area/amongst your friends/ family/ etc.
It's a part of the discussion which I've seen fairly little on, and wish to know more about.

Many thanks guys
-Stephen
Lightning Zap
Motor Baby
Lightning Zap
June 10th, 2008 at 10:28pm
I'm straight edge, and avoid unnecessary medicinal drugs, even avoiding to take panadol for headaches sometimes. But I still drink coke. I'm not a coffee drinker, and refuse to drink coffee, because there is something like twice as much caffeine in coffee as there is in coke. I also don't drink energy drinks like Red Bull. But I'm not gonna avoid caffeine. I drink coke in moderation, and it's impossible to avoid caffeine these days when it's in chocolate etc.

Straight edge isn't popular where I live, and all of my friends drink, some smoke. So I'm constantly paid out for not drinking at parties etc, but I prefer it that way. I prefer to have control over my life, and I feel that by not drinking etc, I can do that.
facepalm.
Jazz Hands
facepalm.
June 11th, 2008 at 03:13pm
I'm straight edge, but I'm a coffee addict >.<
I'd rather look boring sober than a dickhead drunk.
And smoking is just fucking stupid.
If anyone asks me why I'm straight edge, I ask them why they kill themselves slowly with smoke, make themselves vomit on their jeans, give themselves the headache of the century, look like an absolute twat and not have an ounce of control over themselves.
Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I don't belive in stuff like that.
Still, I don't think you should deny yourself some pain relief if you really need it, and as long as you don't abuse drugs then its all fine.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
June 11th, 2008 at 04:57pm
I am also sXe
I am against drugs and alcohol and sex.
And i honestly think its a great idea, because that isnt what teens have to be worrying about.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 11th, 2008 at 09:17pm
bloodstainedrainbow:
If anyone asks me why I'm straight edge, I ask them why they kill themselves slowly with smoke, make themselves vomit on their jeans, give themselves the headache of the century, look like an absolute twat and not have an ounce of control over themselves.
Still, I don't think you should deny yourself some pain relief if you really need it, and as long as you don't abuse drugs then its all fine.

If someone asks you why you're straightedge, you don't have to be rude to the other person about it - what if they like to drink, but never get drunk enough to throw up? Not everyone who likes a drink once in a while drinks themselves into a stupor.

And didn't think you could be properly straight edge if you drink coffee. :\
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 12th, 2008 at 11:31am
[quote="Volt-Zorg Boy"]
ChipmunkOnKetamine:
quote] caffeine is a drug, and most Americans are addicted to it, in fact there are only trace amounts in things like mountain dew. I think tea has more caffeine then any drink (minus energy drinks).the reason there are trace amounts because something like an ounce of pure caffeine will kill you. It also dehydrates you

I don't think there is anything wrong with drinking caffeine products. I myself am an avid coffee drinker. I know it is a drug, but I personally don't think that it is dangerous. I know that there was the case of the girl who drank 7 double espressos, and passed out,(here) but that was an excessive amount, and a mug here and there isn't going to hurt anyone. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with being addicted to caffeine, because it doesn't hurt anyone else, and it doesn't do any damage, unless it's drunk in large quantities, which it rarely is.
facepalm.
Jazz Hands
facepalm.
June 12th, 2008 at 05:39pm
mindfuck.:
bloodstainedrainbow:

If someone asks you why you're straightedge, you don't have to be rude to the other person about it - what if they like to drink, but never get drunk enough to throw up? Not everyone who likes a drink once in a while drinks themselves into a stupor.

Very true.
In my case, it's usually the people who ask me that question who insist on getting hammered every night. Of course I wouldn't answer like that to someone who was just interested.
And perhaps you're right about the coffee, but there's always the decaf...
facepalm.
Jazz Hands
facepalm.
June 12th, 2008 at 05:39pm
mindfuck.:
bloodstainedrainbow:

Very true.
In my case, it's usually the people who ask me that question who insist on getting hammered every night. Of course I wouldn't answer like that to someone who was just interested.
And perhaps you're right about the coffee, but there's always the decaf...