Don't have an account? Create one!

Straight Edge.

AuthorMessage
danimalsOH
Killjoy
danimalsOH
June 13th, 2008 at 08:20am
Straight edge is a good idea but it seems that people associate it with willpower. I hate making that association because a lot of the people have no desire to drink or do drugs or whatever. Willpower has nothing to do with them. Also, I don't think they are any stronger than I am because I do "bad things". I'm a perfectly healthy person and it's a way that I have fun.

The way I look at it, a lot of these people are just not doing things that they don't think are fun. Kind of like not flying a kite if you don't like flying kites. It's their personal chocie, I respect it, but I don't think it makes them any better then anyone else. Unless they're people who have struggled with substance abuse or something to that effect. If the temptation is there or they're cleaning up their lives, I respect them more.
rukan
Killjoy
rukan
June 22nd, 2008 at 12:43am
My parents are both straight edge. I don't really know if I want to be, but I think I probably will become straight edge sometime in my life. I don't want to make a commitment yet because I don't want to ever have to say like, "I used to be straight edge"

I really respect people who are straight edge. And honestly, I have way more fun at edge shows because it's about the music. Not the booze. And plus it takes a weight off my shoulders because I'm an emetophobic.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 22nd, 2008 at 09:44am
ChipmunkOnKetamine:

I don't think there is anything wrong with drinking caffeine products. I myself am an avid coffee drinker. I know it is a drug, but I personally don't think that it is dangerous. I know that there was the case of the girl who drank 7 double espressos, and passed out,(here) but that was an excessive amount, and a mug here and there isn't going to hurt anyone. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with being addicted to caffeine, because it doesn't hurt anyone else, and it doesn't do any damage, unless it's drunk in large quantities, which it rarely is.

Read

I wanted to look more things up since there are studies for caffeine helping things like liver disease, but I found your statement that a caffeine addiction does no damage very interesting. Also if you are addicted to a substance, typically larger quantities are needed to give you the same effect that a smaller amount would give to a non-addicted person. Just like anything else.

I myself am not straightedge. I don't do drugs, nor do I drink much - I've had two glasses of white wine, with dinner, in the last year or so. That's really the only drinking that I feel is appropriate - with a meal, one glass or two, to enhance the taste of your food or something like that. For me, I don't feel it's right to use a substance to change my mind/attitude/perception/whatever to have a good time. Nor do I feel that it's appropriate to make one feel 'closer' to people, as so many others would say they do. It seems like a pretty artificial way to open up.

Anyway, that's just me and what I do, and I don't feel I need the term "straightedge" slapped on me in order to keep on what I feel is right for myself. I think I do a pretty good job.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 22nd, 2008 at 09:46am
rukan:
My parents are both straight edge. I don't really know if I want to be, but I think I probably will become straight edge sometime in my life. I don't want to make a commitment yet because I don't want to ever have to say like, "I used to be straight edge"

I really respect people who are straight edge. And honestly, I have way more fun at edge shows because it's about the music. Not the booze. And plus it takes a weight off my shoulders because I'm an emetophobic.

I can't think of any shows, local or mainstream arena, that have been "about the booze" or "about the drugs." =/ Maybe like...Sublime or something, not that they're together anymore. Maybe if the music involves drinking or drugs. But I can't imagine any other scenario in my experience.
gazelles.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
gazelles.
June 22nd, 2008 at 05:25pm
^ Yeah, I can't say I've ever been to a show that was "about the booze" before, and I go to plenty of them (local ones in particular). I mean, I've been to shows where the members of the bands have asked people to buy them beer before, but it's never gone further than that.

To be honest, I really dislike the term "straightedge". I find that too many people use it as a way to say that they're "better" than other people. Personally, I'm what many people would consider straightedge -- I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't smoke or have promiscuous sex. However, I do love my caffeine, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's all a personal choice, and I don't think that people should look down on others just because they do drink, do drugs, smoke, or whatever.
rockpapersuzi.
Always Born a Crime
rockpapersuzi.
June 23rd, 2008 at 11:14pm
I've always considered myself to be straightedge because I have no interest in chemicals or intercourse.
However, just recently I was with my boyfriend and things got a bit steamy. I won't go into detail for the sake of maintaining decency, but there was no organ-to-organ/oral contact.
Am I still a virgin?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 24th, 2008 at 01:10am
heartquakes.:
I've always considered myself to be straightedge because I have no interest in chemicals or intercourse.
However, just recently I was with my boyfriend and things got a bit steamy. I won't go into detail for the sake of maintaining decency, but there was no organ-to-organ/oral contact.
Am I still a virgin?

Well, yes I'd say you are still a virgin if there was no "organ to organ" contact.

But people can still have sex and still be straightedge.
misery and harmony
Salute You in Your Grave
misery and harmony
June 25th, 2008 at 11:28am
I Am A Graveyard.:
^ Yeah, I can't say I've ever been to a show that was "about the booze" before, and I go to plenty of them (local ones in particular). I mean, I've been to shows where the members of the bands have asked people to buy them beer before, but it's never gone further than that.

To be honest, I really dislike the term "straightedge". I find that too many people use it as a way to say that they're "better" than other people. Personally, I'm what many people would consider straightedge -- I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't smoke or have promiscuous sex. However, I do love my caffeine, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's all a personal choice, and I don't think that people should look down on others just because they do drink, do drugs, smoke, or whatever.

You're right. I don't want to smoke. I don't want to try because I see no reason. BUT why should I look down at those who do? It's their life. Their choice.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
June 26th, 2008 at 08:15pm
I Am A Graveyard.:
To be honest, I really dislike the term "straightedge". I find that too many people use it as a way to say that they're "better" than other people or to use it as a crutch rather than using their own willpower or values.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 21st, 2008 at 06:51pm
I think people who are straightedge are just choosing their path in life. That they don't have to do drugs, alcohol, etc.
Yes, it seems a more healthy way of life, but the people who do smoke, drink, and what not are also choosing their path. Whatever the consequences maybe. I think their are consquences to both sides, however. Some reasons being more heavier than others.
But I do have some questions, becasue I'm not one hundred percent sure on this subject...
Do straightedge people have caffine? And if you all of a sudden decide to stop drinking, smoking, etc., can you become straightedge?
I was just wondering. I find it a kind of interesting subject.....
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
July 21st, 2008 at 07:35pm
DAVEY HAVOK.:
Do straightedge people have caffine?

Theoretically, no. Caffeine is a drug so therefore it would be contradictory to say you don't ingest drugs, but then ingest caffeine. I have heard some people say they are straightedge and still drink caffeine, but to me that doesn't make sense.

DAVEY HAVOK.:
And if you all of a sudden decide to stop drinking, smoking, etc., can you become straightedge?

I'm pretty sure you can become straightedge if you used to drink. You don't have to have been straightedge your whole life to be straightedge.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 21st, 2008 at 08:26pm
Oh, okay. That makes sense. Thank you.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 21st, 2008 at 10:47pm
I would never be strait edge. I just really like to have wine with a meal and if I'm at a party (which is rarely) I maybe have a few fruity cocktails, but I don't need to drink to have fun.
I'll probably never like beer though, I think it tastes gross.
Strait edge also means not taking things like ibuprofen right?
Which I definitely couldn't do with out seeing as I get really horrible chronic headaches.
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
July 21st, 2008 at 11:35pm
the world would definately be a better place if nearly everyone was straight edge. But some cant cause they need certain drugs for health reasons and youve also got to realise that the only reason we live longer these days is because of medicine and science. so i think the normal striaght edge is good but it wouldnt work if it was the extreme. i personally could never be straight edge cause im kinda addicted to caffiene (which shows that drugs in general are bad), and i get chest and lung infections almost every month, so i need the antibiotics
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 22nd, 2008 at 12:34am
nevergetmealive:
the world would definately be a better place if nearly everyone was straight edge.

How so?
The world would be a better place without drug addiction, but drinking a little isn't harmful. Smoking is harmful to just you (if you're careful.) It's a personal choice, and while I respect the choice to be strait edge, the choice to not be strait edge should be respected as well.
DAVEY HAVOK.
Banned
DAVEY HAVOK.
July 22nd, 2008 at 01:25am
Eponine:
I would never be strait edge. I just really like to have wine with a meal and if I'm at a party (which is rarely) I maybe have a few fruity cocktails, but I don't need to drink to have fun.
I'll probably never like beer though, I think it tastes gross.
Strait edge also means not taking things like ibuprofen right?
Which I definitely couldn't do with out seeing as I get really horrible chronic headaches.

I have to laugh, because it's so true. I agree; without ibuprofen it would be hard. Headaches are the worst.
nevergetmealive
Joining The Black Parade
nevergetmealive
July 22nd, 2008 at 06:13am
i agree Eponine, i definatly think that people who arent straight edge should be respected as well...im not straightedge. But if you think about it, in general the idea of everyone being straightedge (not to the extreme) is great because a lot of people do have addictive natures and others see it as a way of escaping reality. Now i know the odd drink here and there doesnt hurt but it is healthier for us not to drink and being sober is always the better option and some problems in society 2day would not be as large as they are now
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 22nd, 2008 at 09:06pm
nevergetmealive:
i agree Eponine, i definatly think that people who arent straight edge should be respected as well...im not straightedge. But if you think about it, in general the idea of everyone being straightedge (not to the extreme) is great because a lot of people do have addictive natures and others see it as a way of escaping reality. Now i know the odd drink here and there doesnt hurt but it is healthier for us not to drink and being sober is always the better option and some problems in society 2day would not be as large as they are now

1. I don't think that many people have addictive natures. Approximately 10% of American have an alcohol addiction. To me that's not that much. Even if everyone was strait edge those with addictive natures would become addicted to something else. Besides the fact that I don't think the whole world would ever all become strait edge, if it was going to happen it would have to be forced, and America already tried prohibition. It didn't work.

2. I think that most people who go out to bars are out having fun with their friends.

3. Actually drinking red wine has been proved to have health benefits. Drinking on glass a day (for women) or two (for men) lowers the risk of heart attacks in middle aged people by 30-50 percent. Red win also contains antioxidants.

4. Besides the obvious of drunk driving,What problems would be solved?
The biggest problems in society (to me) are the economy, global warming, and immigration. I don't think being strait edge will solve any of those.

Not that I don't somewhat agree. Drinking in excessive amounts is bad for you, and addiction to anything is bad, but everyone being strait edge is a bit unrealistic. Who knows though, pretty soon cigarette will probably be illegal, so it could happen.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
July 22nd, 2008 at 10:12pm
My life has is a melting pot of ideas about this kind of thing.
My mom does enjoy a glass of wine but never to the point of getting drunk or anything.
My dad doesn't drink at all.I'm not sure that he's even had a full glass of an alchoholic drink.
My brother has gone on rants against drinking and smoking and drugs.And he has said a couple of comments that lead me to believe he is against sex before marriage.
I'v hung out with kids at school that enjoy their glass of brandy. Same for a very close friend of mine.
And me? At the moment I have no wish to drink,smoke.ect I do love Starbucks though. It's not that I am against the idea of drinking and such(if done in moderation and not becoming addicted),I just feel no desire to do it. That's great if it works for you,and I totally respect your choice.Possibly one day I will wish to as well, but not today.For that reason I totally don't want to call myself straightedge. My understanding is that straightedge is a lifestyle choice and a commitment. Just because I don't want to do things like that today doesn't make me want to make a commitment to abstain from them for the rest of my life because,like I have said,my desire not to participate does not make me fully against the idea. That's also great if you want to make this commitment and to be straightedge,and I completely respect your choice as well.

Basically I think everyone should just respect everyone else's choices when it comes to this kind of thing. I think what we do to our bodies is a personal decision that should not be judged by anyone else.(though i do think others have the right to intervene if it something like addiction or selfharm or an eating disorder) Beer and cigarettes don't determine what type of person you are and whethere you are better or worse than someone else.
Volt-Zorg Boy
Awake and Unafraid
Volt-Zorg Boy
July 22nd, 2008 at 10:55pm
this thread has gotten rather active

most people who are straight edge consider 'drug use' to be the abuse of prescription medications, or illicit drugs like pot, cocaine or extacy. Let's face it, alot of us are on medications for illnesses that we could nto survive without

many people who are straight edge consume products with caffine in them. Pop, tea, coffee and chocolate all have caffine in them.

a glass of red wine has been proven to be good for you, true- but, there are loads of other things you can try to live longer before drinking wine for the sole purpose of that.

antioxidants can be found in loads of other things besides wine

smoking is rarely just harmful to yourself. Countries have banned smoking in bars and resturants (ireland for example) because waitress and bartenders have developed lung cancers from working in the enviroment

if the statistic that 10% of americans have an addiction to alcohol (statistics can be manipulated to say whatever you want them to say) that means that 1 in 10 people have an alcohol addiction