Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
November 16th, 2006 at 10:54pm
dream brother:
but that just leads me back to the point that most of the time self hard and suicide aren't the same thing and if it lets them get thru tough times then let them do it

I think that's a rather defeatist attitude. Just let them do it?
I guess it comes down to everyone's personal decision, but I think that people should be made aware that there is help out there for them if they need it - I don't think most would know (I didn't until last year) where to go or what to do if they thought they did need help.

I think there are far healthier ways to deal with 'issues', or stress & anxiety.
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 16th, 2006 at 11:04pm
yeah but sometimes the people you go to for help are useless and dont help in the slightest
some shrinks really suck
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
November 16th, 2006 at 11:07pm
dream brother:
yeah but sometimes the people you go to for help are useless and dont help in the slightest
some shrinks really suck

Well yeah I know that, that's why you have to find to right one for you.
& I think being willing to make the effort is far more productive then just giving up & living with the same problem for the rest of your life - which as you've said before on this thread could end up in someone taking it a bit too far by accident & ending their life. Which would just be a waste...
makemearedcape
Killjoy
makemearedcape
November 17th, 2006 at 01:29am
I truly believe, that if I was a child growing up in the 60's or 70's or basically any time other than the 2000's I would not be here discussing this topic of self harm. I'm not saying that self harm never existed before now, but I'm just saying, now it seems to have become an option for a lot more people than it did years ago. I don't know why. There could be many reasons why. It could be that we just started talking about self harm more, and more people got the idea or the curiosity in their heads to start. This doesn't mean that they necessarily did it for attention-seeking, but it definitely could be in some cases. Has anyone read the book Fahrenheit 451? Because seriously...we seem to be going down that path of the book, where there are mass amounts of suicides everyday so there's an actual truck that comes around to pump blood back into people and revive them. When I read that, I was sad. I didn't think that we'd ever do that. But now I'm believing it more than ever. I don't know. Does everyone need one big hug? Would this all go away if we weren't so nasty to each other? I don't know. But I know that I want this all to stop. I can't handle it when my friends are nearly dying because they cut themselves too deep or they overdosed on pills and have to be taken to the hospital to have their stomach's pumped. That's not fair on themselves and that's not fair on everyone else. Not at all.

<3makemearedcape
makemearedcape
Killjoy
makemearedcape
November 18th, 2006 at 09:17pm
I think you know that there's a self harm trend when you walk into an accessories shop and find plastic razor blades on chains and little guns on heart pendants and little gun earrings...

<3makemearedcape
Linni
Jazz Hands
Linni
November 19th, 2006 at 12:41pm
I think the whole "self-harm" thing has gotten out of hand ever since the whole "EMO explosion." People now do it just for attention. They do it because they think they're so cool.

Even if that wasn't the case, and you were truly depressed, don't be stupid and cut yourself. Just curl up in your bed and cry. Then, the next morning, get yourself back together because you have a whole life to live. Eat ice cream, whatever will make you happy.. NOT CUTTING YOURSELF. You have to be able to love yourself, no matter what you've been through.

Plus, nowadays, it's hard to tell who's a poser and who's not with all this deceiving going on.
whitney.
Shotgun Sinner
whitney.
November 19th, 2006 at 12:54pm
I think it's really overrated. In some cases.
If something absolutely DEVASTING happened to you, that's another story, rather than damaging urself because of little problems.
Life is meant to have problems.
Linni
Jazz Hands
Linni
November 19th, 2006 at 12:58pm
true say!
anna's just a kid.
In The Murder Scene
anna's just a kid.
November 19th, 2006 at 01:15pm
Darken Your Clothes:
If something absolutely DEVASTING happened to you, that's another story, rather than damaging urself because of little problems.

Yes

& I think that the reason some people cut is because other kids who do it get attention for it, or they see it in movies, read it in books and say "Maybe this will help my problems."
In my opinion, if you cut or are considering cutting, its a serious problem. And when people make fun of kids who do cut, that's what makes it worse.
Linni
Jazz Hands
Linni
November 19th, 2006 at 01:51pm
The only reason I make fun of people who cut is because I know them and to see them resort to cutting rather than stand up for themselves like they used to, it's very frustrating.

You shouldn't complain about how your life sucks and then still be here. If it's really that bad, you'd be gone by now. If it isn't, then you're obviously complaining for attention.
Kid__
Always Born a Crime
Kid__
November 19th, 2006 at 02:22pm
You shouldn't make fun of people for cutting because that can make them so much worse. It'll appear as if their friends bully and insult them, so there's no sense in living anymore because they have no-one to turn to.
Then there's the arguement that people cut because they can deal with physical pain, but not emotional pain. So they turn their emotional cuts and scars into physical ones.
And saying that if your life was really that bad, you'd be dead by now is a very irresponsible attitude to take, I think. By saying that, it appears that you don't care about other people's problems and you think they are of no significance so that could make self-harmers worse off.
[That wasn't meant to sound bitchy or like ranting, I apologise if it did.]
The Nightbeast.
Salute You in Your Grave
The Nightbeast.
November 19th, 2006 at 02:43pm
Darken Your Clothes:

Who's to say what's devestating and what's not?
Every person if affected differently from different issues.
Some people are just hit problem after problem and dont know how to stop the pain.

---
My health teacher was talking about suicide a couple of days ago.
She told us that most people dont set out to kill themselves, it just happens accidently.
I believe that only in cases where self-harm was used before the individual's death.
If a person wants to commit suicide, their going to do it, or at least that's what I think.
BestDamnDressIOwn
Jazz Hands
BestDamnDressIOwn
November 19th, 2006 at 05:30pm
dream brother:
but that just leads me back to the point that most of the time self hard and suicide aren't the same thing and if it lets them get thru tough times then let them do it

When you just "let them do it" it can lead to suicide.
What if you cut too deep? Suicide.
What if you had no intention in dying at all, just wanted to get through some tough times. And, whamo, you're dead.
Or worse, in a hospital bed, your wrists all stitched up because you just went a little too far.
Someone who cuts, is really crying out for help.
Except for the people who do it because it's "cool".
I despise those people with every ounce of passion in my black heart.
Linni
Jazz Hands
Linni
November 19th, 2006 at 05:38pm
Ghetto--Superstar:
You shouldn't make fun of people for cutting because that can make them so much worse. It'll appear as if their friends bully and insult them, so there's no sense in living anymore because they have no-one to turn to.
Then there's the arguement that people cut because they can deal with physical pain, but not emotional pain. So they turn their emotional cuts and scars into physical ones.
And saying that if your life was really that bad, you'd be dead by now is a very irresponsible attitude to take, I think. By saying that, it appears that you don't care about other people's problems and you think they are of no significance so that could make self-harmers worse off.
[That wasn't meant to sound bitchy or like ranting, I apologise if it did.]

I understand where you're coming from, don't worry. But personally, every single one of my friends have led "normal lives" up until entering High School, where eveything changed.
It's frustrating for me to see them bitch and moan, especially when they're better off than most people and should be grateful for what they have.
When they come up to me and say, "omg, this boy doesn't like me. My life sucks and I wanna kill myself," it just makes me want to kill them too for being some drama queens.
D.E.A.D.!!
Fabulous Killjoy
D.E.A.D.!!
November 19th, 2006 at 06:04pm
i totaly agree there are sooooo many posers around(just because this "emo"thing is in) its soooooo anoying.

But then again i know there are still REAL people around
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
November 19th, 2006 at 06:08pm
I have to think (although it probably doesn't count for much, since I totally missed this whole "emo" & cutting because it's "cool" thing), even if it is a trend - that people who cut even if it is just for attention or a 'trend' still have issues.

I mean, I don't think many people in their right mind would hurt themselves in such an extreme way just to be 'cool'.

Or maybe they would.

I don't know.
Linni
Jazz Hands
Linni
November 19th, 2006 at 07:00pm
x-Hail Of Bullets-x:
I have to think (although it probably doesn't count for much, since I totally missed this whole "emo" & cutting because it's "cool" thing), even if it is a trend - that people who cut even if it is just for attention or a 'trend' still have issues.

I mean, I don't think many people in their right mind would hurt themselves in such an extreme way just to be 'cool'.

Or maybe they would.

I don't know.

Yea.. it's hard to believe but people do do it to look "cool."
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 19th, 2006 at 07:53pm
id just like to point out to everybody condemning cutters the effort it would actually take to kill yourself with a knife/razor

you have to open the veins in your writs and cut down the veins and fully cut them open to actually end up killing yourself and if you just cutting yourself you are in my opinion not as likely to accidentally end up killing yourself unless you really mean to
sure you might go to deep and end up in hospital but i really dont think most cutters are going to end up killin themselves because they make a mistake because it really takes quite as effort to kill yourself this way
D.E.A.D.!!
Fabulous Killjoy
D.E.A.D.!!
November 19th, 2006 at 08:33pm
yeah you told us before how to die by cutting..

we heard you the first time buddy
dream brother
Jazz Hands
dream brother
November 19th, 2006 at 09:10pm
actually no i havent told you before