Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
Frozen
Jazz Hands
Frozen
September 27th, 2006 at 04:32pm
My mum had a pretty hard life when she was younger with cancer and she has scars on her arms and stuff from when she did it.
I would never do it after my mum told me what it did to her.
^ Lemon is right though.
I had my friends asking me if my mum was suicidal!
chillpill
Always Born a Crime
chillpill
September 27th, 2006 at 04:45pm
Broken Dream:
I think:
Suicide: If you SERIOUSLY have a bad depressing life, it's ok I guess. I would commit suicide if I have a really sad life.
Cutting: Is absoluetly stupid. One, a lot of cutters are attention-seekers. And two, it doesnt make a difference. Cutting will still make your life even more miserable.

Who in their right mind think's that suicide is a good way of dealing with your life?

Better options:

#1 [The Best Option In The World When Considering Suicide]: Get help. Parents, teachers, friends, councelors, someone who you trust.
poison and kerosene
Motor Baby
poison and kerosene
September 28th, 2006 at 12:29am
Lemon.:
Self-harm is extremely addictive and relieving, well for me anyways. And saying the majority of cutters do it for attention is so ignorant. People don't hide their scars, and are ashamed of what they've done if they want attention.

The thing I find the most irritating is people who will go up to a self-harmer after seeing their scars, and begin asking questions. "Why do you cut." "What happened to your arm, hm?" It's just fucking rude, and annoying.

yeah i agree...most people who cut try and hide their cuts and scars so people dont see tham but if someone accidently saw thier arm they go all crazy about how you either want attention or ask you soo many question and even call you "emo" and that gets me ticked off.
matfew churlz sanduz
Shotgun Sinner
matfew churlz sanduz
September 28th, 2006 at 02:56am
So, the easy solution to that problem would be...
Stop cutting.
I don't see the point in cutting, other then attention. It's not ignorant to say all cutters cut for attention, that's absurd.
If you didn't want anyone to find out, why would you do it in the first place?
You want to know what ticks me off?
When people who cut do it because they 'have nothing else to do to deal with the pain.' or '... did it accidently once and now I can't stop.'
That's bull. If you honestly wanted to stop, didn't want anyone to find out about it and hated people calling you names suck as "Attention Seaker" "Emo" and "Cutter",
There is a quick and easy solution;
Stop harming yourself. Read a book, go for a walk, talk to someone, write your feelings down.
Just don't take it out on your own body. It never did anything to you.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
September 28th, 2006 at 04:13am
If you cut, no matter what the reason, imagine yourself in years time.
Say you want a family, you want children.
Your children are grown up now, and one of them is having a tough time - might be school, bullying, etc.
They come to you for help. They ask you how you dealt with it, when you were their age.
Are you going to tell your child to cut their wrists?
Are you going to encourage them to do what you did?
How are you going to feel when you can't help your child, because you never learned to help yourself the proper way?
Sometimes we often think about who it's affecting RIGHT NOW.
But the problem never goes away. The issue of upsetting or affecting someone never leaves.
Because the minute you've self harmed, you've harmed a hell of a lot of other relationships that might exist now, that have existed, or will exist in the future.
rachi_left4deadx_x
Motor Baby
rachi_left4deadx_x
September 28th, 2006 at 11:00am
Ok so I have experience in this subject as I used to self harm. Is not that I found it cool to self harm is that my life was so fucked up it helped. I look back now and think how could it relieve pain. I read in one of my journals from when I cut: "At first it hurt then my anger began to build up and the pain went away. The blood washed all my troubles away with it." I totally agree that some people say they cut when they don't. All I can say to them people is why would you want to lie about that? Its not clever. i totally regret starting to cut because the scars will be there forever. I will always be the girl who cut and thats not a good name to own.
SAAMI
Killjoy
SAAMI
September 28th, 2006 at 03:35pm
I think that whoever said that thing about 7 out of 10 is right. Thing is, it's not really worth to ignore someone who selfharms because you think they may just be talkning. Its better to try and be there for him or her, then to later find out that he or she actually was deeply depressed.
I have a friend, a close friend, who self-harms. At the beginning, he really did it just for the attention. Okay, he felt like shit, but still, he talked more than he actually cut. But now.. he's completly diffrent. He just can't stop it when he starts, and it scares the hell out of me. I used to ( i don't, anymore, and i'm so god damn proud over myself) and I know how it feels like, so I just can't help being worried.
I belive that if you want to help someone who cuts, or just feels bad, you have to be there for them. Make them trust you. Tell them how much they mean to you, but don't lie. Just be there, a phonecall away, and listen. That's really the best you can do.
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
September 28th, 2006 at 10:05pm
Shaking Ella's Hold:
So, the easy solution to that problem would be...
Stop cutting.
I don't see the point in cutting, other then attention. It's not ignorant to say all cutters cut for attention, that's absurd.
If you didn't want anyone to find out, why would you do it in the first place?
You want to know what ticks me off?
When people who cut do it because they 'have nothing else to do to deal with the pain.' or '... did it accidently once and now I can't stop.'
That's bull. If you honestly wanted to stop, didn't want anyone to find out about it and hated people calling you names suck as "Attention Seaker" "Emo" and "Cutter",
There is a quick and easy solution;
Stop harming yourself. Read a book, go for a walk, talk to someone, write your feelings down.
Just don't take it out on your own body. It never did anything to you.

Why would anybody speed on the highway if they didnt want the cops to find out, or cheat on an exam if they didnt want the teacher to find out, or sneak out of the house to go to your friends house if you didnt want your parents to find out..... Your first point isnt valid. People do things all the time and hope that nobody finds out. When is the last time somebody robbed a bank thinking "I sure hope those cops find me, prison sounds so much fun."

Also, saying that if they just wanted to stop, then they could, is just like telling somebody that they can just stop using heroin cold turkey. People that dont do it to fit in with their friends or be "cool" will not be able to do that in most cases, and usually when they try, they just end up being worse then they were before.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
September 29th, 2006 at 12:26am
Broken Dream:
I think:
Suicide: If you SERIOUSLY have a bad depressing life, it's ok I guess.

No, it isn't.
There are a million other, much better, ways of dealing with "bad depressing lives", ways that don't hurt all the people around you, ways that mean you can turn your life around.

Suicide is terrible.
It doesn't just effect the person who kills themself.
It effects everybody in their life.

One of my best friends killed himself almost 8 months ago, & I still can't deal with the fact that he is gone. I still cry whenever I think of him, or when I hear certain songs that he loved.
He didn't deserve to go out of the world in that way.

I'm not saying that suicide is the "easy" way out, or the "cowards" way out, because I know that it would take a great deal of determination to actually go through with it.
But honestly, it is a terrible way to die.
People never know for sure why you did it, and the effects are so long lasting.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
September 29th, 2006 at 05:06pm
If someone really has no other options, I think that it's selfish to try to make them stay here, when it's really their choice to begin with.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
September 29th, 2006 at 10:18pm
But there are always other options.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
September 30th, 2006 at 01:20am
It really all depends upon your perspective. If you don't think you have a way out, you make a way out. If you don't think you can talk to anyone, you don't talk to anyone. After a while, some people really only have one option.
matfew churlz sanduz
Shotgun Sinner
matfew churlz sanduz
September 30th, 2006 at 05:26am
LVFD:
Why would anybody speed on the highway if they didnt want the cops to find out, or cheat on an exam if they didnt want the teacher to find out, or sneak out of the house to go to your friends house if you didnt want your parents to find out..... Your first point isnt valid. People do things all the time and hope that nobody finds out. When is the last time somebody robbed a bank thinking "I sure hope those cops find me, prison sounds so much fun."

Also, saying that if they just wanted to stop, then they could, is just like telling somebody that they can just stop using heroin cold turkey. People that dont do it to fit in with their friends or be "cool" will not be able to do that in most cases, and usually when they try, they just end up being worse then they were before.

That is nothing like what I'm talking about.
Harming yourself is nothing like robbing a bank or speeding down the highway.
I don't understand how you could possibly compare the two.
And actually, you are wrong in saying that people don't rob banks or speed to get caught. Most people actually do speed and rob banks (since we are using these two law breaking activities) to get attention, weather it's good or bad attention.
Subconsciously, that's the only reason why they do it. To be noticed.
Studies have proven it. So yes, my point is in fact valid.

People can, and have, quit heroin cold turkey. Sure, it's not done as often, but it's still done.
Heroin in nothing like self harm. They are two totally different “coping” mechanisms. Cutting yourself is not nearly as bad as taking heroin, for starters,
And why do people cut in the first place?

TO BE NOTICED.
TO BE RECOGNISED

Why to people take heroin?

TO FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES.
TO NUMB THE "PAIN"
Can you see the difference?

But, in saying that, it's not like I support the use of heroin either. But one simply cannot compare Self Harm to the use of Heroin.
That would be the same as comparing a dog to a cat, if you will.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
September 30th, 2006 at 05:34am
Shaking Ella's Hold:

TO BE NOTICED.
TO BE RECOGNISED.

Exactly.
No matter how hard people try to argue against that,
I will never see how a person could intentionally harm themselves, yet not do it to get attention.
Do they think that nobody will see the scars? that if people do see the scars that they will believe the cover stories these people make up?
I'm sorry, but I think if people are saying that cutters don't do it for attention, they are naive.
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
September 30th, 2006 at 05:44am
But its just as big a problem, no matter what the reasoning. The only difference that makes is in the treatment or recovery.
oh how cliche;;
Really Not Okay
oh how cliche;;
September 30th, 2006 at 07:20am
It's a permanent solution for a temporary problem.
Even if it's cutting.
The scars will be there forever.

If someone has a problem with cutting I don't think they should go to a conselor.
Who want's to talk to a complete stranger they just met about their life?
I know I wouldn't... Confused
matfew churlz sanduz
Shotgun Sinner
matfew churlz sanduz
September 30th, 2006 at 08:38am
But sometimes it's better to talk to someone who doesn't know you,
Rather then someone who knows everything about you, and may judge you.
I wouldn't go to my school conselor, she knows shit all,
But a trained professional, like a proper psychiatrist, is the way to go.
I don't think people with depression or suicidal thoughts should rule out help from a trained professional.
Friends can only do so much.
nina;
Awake and Unafraid
nina;
September 30th, 2006 at 10:50am
When you cut, the body releases a chemical that makes you feel better.

And I think, If you've never been in that situation, when you've felt
like cutting, don't say anything. Because you just.don't.know.

That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut.
poison and kerosene
Motor Baby
poison and kerosene
September 30th, 2006 at 01:35pm
obviously some people just dont understand why people cut them selves. its pretty sad. and alot of cutters dont cut their arm but cut other places so people dont see them. soo yeah dnt think they do it for attention >.<
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
September 30th, 2006 at 02:40pm
Shaking Ella's Hold:
And actually, you are wrong in saying that people don't rob banks or speed to get caught. Most people actually do speed and rob banks (since we are using these two law breaking activities) to get attention, weather it's good or bad attention.
Subconsciously, that's the only reason why they do it. To be noticed.
Studies have proven it. So yes, my point is in fact valid.

What makes you say that people who rob banks and people who use speed do it to be noticed? Have you considered the possibility that some people rob banks for the money? Because they can't pay the bills? I don't deny that there's also something about power involved in it; the thrill of large wads of cash got by threatening people with weapons; the glamour. But to say that they do it "to be noticed" is simplifying the issue. The fun isn't in getting caught; it's in nearly getting caught. And anyway, what studies prove it?

Shaking Ella's Hold:
People can, and have, quit heroin cold turkey. Sure, it's not done as often, but it's still done.
Heroin in nothing like self harm. They are two totally different “coping” mechanisms.

There is something in the comparison. Whatever reasons people might have for taking heroin or for self-harming are irrelevant if an addiction starts. It's similar because many heroin users and many self-harmers are addicted to their form of abuse.

Shaking Ella's Hold:

TO BE NOTICED.
TO BE RECOGNISED

Stating something in block capitals doesn't make it true.

Shaking Ella's Hold:
Why to people take heroin?

TO FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES.
TO NUMB THE "PAIN"
Can you see the difference?

The feeling of being noticed is for some people a way of feeling better about themselves. And why do you put pain in quotation marks? Do you doubt that there are people in the world who feel pain?