Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
INFLIGHTRADIO.
Devil's Got Your Number
INFLIGHTRADIO.
October 7th, 2006 at 05:46pm
I think suicide is rather selfish. Ok, I know life can be hard, and there are moments where you think you should end it all. But if you think about everyone you're leaving. Your parents, family, friends... Those people care about you, and will be so hurt. Suicide is the easy way out. There are far better ways to handle problems than killing yourself.
glitter geek.
Shotgun Sinner
glitter geek.
October 7th, 2006 at 07:33pm
i once cut myself in math class in grade 5 last year.
i had to see the school's guidance counsellor a few times.
she told me:

" Suicide is a pernament answer to a temporary problem"

i knew she was right it was just hard to admit. so any of u thinking about it, take it from me,
life is worth living!

think about the future, not the past. your marraige and your first child. its difficult when you really think about it.
S713
Joining The Black Parade
S713
October 7th, 2006 at 10:07pm
PrettyAsACarcrash!?:
I think suicide is rather selfish. Ok, I know life can be hard, and there are moments where you think you should end it all. But if you think about everyone you're leaving. Your parents, family, friends... Those people care about you, and will be so hurt. Suicide is the easy way out. There are far better ways to handle problems than killing yourself.

True. But, the person considering suicide doesnt think that way. Also, people who attempt suicide or commit suicide *usually* do not just have moments where they think they should end it all. Instead, thats what they think about everyday. For them it is a constant battle of trying to stay alive, but the enemy is within themselves. This is often where self-harm comes in. For most people self harm is an extremely anti-suicide behavior. If they cut, they will often become *attached* to a specific razorblade, saw blade, knife, etc. because to a lot of people it if is a symbol of their will to stay alive and is their only way to stay alive. Thats why some cutters have anxiety or panic attacks if they lose the tool that they use to cut. Also, a lot of suicidal people either think they dont or dont have any friends, and usually thinks that either their family does not care about them or that their family would be better off without them. Suicide may seem like the easy way out, but when you are actually that bad off that you seriously consider it, it usually seems like the only option, or you may actually think that you are making somebodies life better by killing yourself. It may sound stupid, but all of that is true for a lot of the people in that situation .
But, yes, suicide is selfish whether the person realizes it or not, but you also are not going to help anybody by just telling them that "other people will be hurt" or "its a permanent solution to a temporary problem" because for one, a lot of them will just start ignoring you, because thats exactly what they would expect you to say and it may actaully make them feel worse because they know you are right. For two, its not always a temporary problem. For some people with certain mental illnesses its a life long problem. If you know somebody that is suicidal, you have to make sure that you talk about it from their perspective, and put things in a positive light. Its hard, but it can be done.

****If you know somebody that is suicidal, you need to call 911, not their parents, not their friends, or anybody else. If you know that somebody is either going to go through with suicide, or is seriously contemplating suicide and seems like they will go through with it, then it is an EMERGENCY, just like anything else life threatening. ****
INFLIGHTRADIO.
Devil's Got Your Number
INFLIGHTRADIO.
October 8th, 2006 at 04:05am
LVFD:

True. But, the person considering suicide doesnt think that way. Also, people who attempt suicide or commit suicide *usually* do not just have moments where they think they should end it all. Instead, thats what they think about everyday. For them it is a constant battle of trying to stay alive, but the enemy is within themselves. This is often where self-harm comes in. For most people self harm is an extremely anti-suicide behavior. If they cut, they will often become *attached* to a specific razorblade, saw blade, knife, etc. because to a lot of people it if is a symbol of their will to stay alive and is their only way to stay alive. Thats why some cutters have anxiety or panic attacks if they lose the tool that they use to cut. Also, a lot of suicidal people either think they dont or dont have any friends, and usually thinks that either their family does not care about them or that their family would be better off without them. Suicide may seem like the easy way out, but when you are actually that bad off that you seriously consider it, it usually seems like the only option, or you may actually think that you are making somebodies life better by killing yourself. It may sound stupid, but all of that is true for a lot of the people in that situation .
But, yes, suicide is selfish whether the person realizes it or not, but you also are not going to help anybody by just telling them that "other people will be hurt" or "its a permanent solution to a temporary problem" because for one, a lot of them will just start ignoring you, because thats exactly what they would expect you to say and it may actaully make them feel worse because they know you are right. For two, its not always a temporary problem. For some people with certain mental illnesses its a life long problem. If you know somebody that is suicidal, you have to make sure that you talk about it from their perspective, and put things in a positive light. Its hard, but it can be done.

****If you know somebody that is suicidal, you need to call 911, not their parents, not their friends, or anybody else. If you know that somebody is either going to go through with suicide, or is seriously contemplating suicide and seems like they will go through with it, then it is an EMERGENCY, just like anything else life threatening. ****
When I talk to them I never say it's selfish. I just try to make them feel better, wich normally doesn't really work. It's just my opinion of it. My friend's dad committed suicide a year ago, he left a wife and three kids, with almost no income. And it was for such a stupid reason. A lot of problems get sorted out, problems are there to fix. Ok, life for mental illnessed people is tough, I know that, but there are still joys in life. Wich they normally don't see [and i'm talking about every suicidal person now] because they're too busy with being depressed. They should see that they're not alone in the world, there's always at least one person who cares.
INFLIGHTRADIO.
Devil's Got Your Number
INFLIGHTRADIO.
October 8th, 2006 at 04:13am
D.92:
10-20 years ago the world was closed, now there's more than one culture
in each country, at the past people believed in God more than now,
beliveing in God it what makes people stronger against suicide and self harm,
so to stop doing this, get closer to God!
Ok, I just had to respons to this. Having more than one culture really doesn't affect suicide and self harm. And if you think of it, every religion is worshipping the same god. Yes he has other names, and he has an other messias or whatever you call it. But to me, it seems like it's always the same God.
Believing in God really doesn't affect suicide and self harm. It's has nothing to do with it. It's just something short-minded people give as an explanation, because they don't have a better one.
Innamorata
Awake and Unafraid
Innamorata
October 8th, 2006 at 12:38pm
Did you actually just say ' Because they're too busy with being depressed.'
Someone who is so willing to throw around the word selfish, needs to re-read their post.

Depression is not just having a blue day. Depression is not something you can just snap out of it. It's a disorder that can very well take over your life. Medication can only do so much. It's not something you're simply busy with. It's a disorder that's gradually taken over anything and everything. In reality, it's the other way around.

Depression is busy with you.

Help is limited at times, yet it's there. Unfortunately, the depression becomes so great your hope just begins to vanish. Thus, resulting in something tragic accomplished by your worst enemy. Yourself.
Deadly Ammunition
Fabulous Killjoy
Deadly Ammunition
October 8th, 2006 at 01:06pm
I did self harm, i don't do it anymore.
The thing is, the only way you can really over come it is when you have a loving family and people who care about you to help you get through it. It's not anything easy to overcome. It's like drugs or smoking, once you start it's hard to give up. Not impossible but hard.
As for depression, that runs in my family as is a serious illness. It's when you only see the negative side of things and in extreme cases, consider suicide.
Suicide isn't selfish but it is very painful to those who were close to that person. It just makes them feel even worse when they think about how they could have talked to that person and try to help them through it.
INFLIGHTRADIO.
Devil's Got Your Number
INFLIGHTRADIO.
October 8th, 2006 at 01:47pm
MyOwnImmortality:
Did you actually just say ' Because they're too busy with being depressed.'
Someone who is so willing to throw around the word selfish, needs to re-read their post.

Depression is not just having a blue day. Depression is not something you can just snap out of it. It's a disorder that can very well take over your life. Medication can only do so much. It's not something you're simply busy with. It's a disorder that's gradually taken over anything and everything. In reality, it's the other way around.

Depression is busy with you.

Help is limited at times, yet it's there. Unfortunately, the depression becomes so great your hope just begins to vanish. Thus, resulting in something tragic accomplished by your worst enemy. Yourself.
I only realised that after I posted.
Sorry for the idiotic things I said, I was just pissed. I know it's a stupid explanation, but that's just how it is.
Innamorata
Awake and Unafraid
Innamorata
October 9th, 2006 at 04:14pm
PrettyAsACarcrash!?:
I only realised that after I posted.
Sorry for the idiotic things I said, I was just pissed. I know it's a stupid explanation, but that's just how it is.

I accept your apology. I understand. People just tend to state things in the heat of the momemt, when in reality, that is really not what they were trying to say in the first place.

Just proof read before you post. Reply to a post when you're in a more relaxing state of mind. Don't worry though. We're all human and we all make mistakes.
Yara; wtf...
Shotgun Sinner
Yara; wtf...
October 12th, 2006 at 09:06pm
1. Check before you make a new thread. Duplicates get deleted.

2. Spam is ABSOLUTELY forbidden. Stick to the topic at all times.

3. Keep it as calm and civilized as possible please. Let people have their own opinions, don't force yours on anyone.

4. No pyramid quoting.

5. No spam threads. This means no "rate this or that" thread. No "how do u liek chocolat?" or "i liek pie, do u?".

6. If I lock/delete your thread, read these rules again. Did your thread break any of the rules? If so, you have no right to complain. If your thread was wrongfully locked/deleted, pm me and we can talk about it.

7. If you want to talk about MCR, you can do so in the Band board.

8. If you agree with someone's post, and you quote it, ALWAYS add your own opinion to it

9. I don't allow profanity here.

10. "Page claim" is spam. Spam is not allowed.

11. "I agree" or "I like <insert topic here>" isn't enough. Elaborate your opinion please.

12. No Chat Speak! Use proper grammar please!

13. If you're unsure about making a thread because of any reason, pm me first and I will let you know if it's ok or not.

14. If someone makes a thread that doesn't belong here, don't waste four pages telling this person off. Just ignore it until a moderator comes online and deals with it.
go_screw_a_whale
Killjoy
go_screw_a_whale
October 16th, 2006 at 06:45pm
What can be done to prevent it? Nothing. Well, I mean person by person there are steps you can take. But I don't think you can help a large group one at a time.
Who does it affect? Everyone. The people around you, your family, the person you might've seen walking down the street that needed some help, anyone.
Why is it more common now than 10-20 years ago? Now, lets see. Alot of famous people have been doing this, which infulences alot of people. Which goes right along with single parenting. With only one parent, there's only one set of eyes watching you. Looking to where you are getting your ideas from. Who you are learning from.
Are there enough support groups? I don't think support groups are the way to go about it, actually. I think rather than that, a friend would be easier. Someone you trust with everything, not a large group of people you just met.
How can family members help? Well, they can help many ways. Sitting down and talking would be an obvious, and so would intervention. But maybe exposing the person to another lifestly. One that would still interest the person, but promotes something differnt rather than self harn/suicide.
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
October 17th, 2006 at 09:12pm
EDIT. Apparently this was an ignorant comment.
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
October 17th, 2006 at 09:19pm
And I also want to say...

If you anyone that has ever made any kind of comment about killing themselves, TALK TO THEM. You could save someone's life just by talking to them. The sad thing is though, a lot of suicidal people hide it so well that it's an EXTREME shock when it happens. Like my brother- he was like a health freak, and he always seemed pretty happy. And then one day..BANG.

If you know anyone that is suicidal, get them help. For the sake of them, and for the sake of their friends and family. "The victim is not the one who dies but the ones that are left behind." (My own lyric)
Shayna;Vengeance
Salute You in Your Grave
Shayna;Vengeance
October 17th, 2006 at 09:24pm
Okay my life is hard right now it really is, I'm going through some hard times but, I haven't bothered to do any self-harm I think it's rather pointless and talking always helps, I think that you will always have atleast one person that is there for you even if you don't realize it, so seriously what ever made you start or what ever happened talk about please know that there are people who care for you and won't give up on you. Hell you may not know me but, if you neede to talk I wouldn't mind but, the best you could do id call 911 and I want to repeat this you need to call 911 you could save someone's life
ImNotOkay3505
Salute You in Your Grave
ImNotOkay3505
October 17th, 2006 at 09:39pm
^ I know what you're saying. Last summer I went through some really tough shit but I never even cut myself once. I thought about killing myself but never attempted. I was sane enough to know that it's not worth it. I'm just afraid that over time my anger might evolve. But lately i've been getting ALL my anger out. I almost got in a fight yesterday. LOL.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
October 18th, 2006 at 01:26am
I can't believe how cold people are when they say that suicide is selfish.

Yeah, suicide hurts the people left behind. But no more than any death of a loved one. Be it murder, sickness, suicide, natural causes, the pain is the same. It comes in different ways, but in the end, it all hurts the same.

Suicide is not selfish. Making a blanket statement like that, especially when all cases are unique in both the person's feelings and cicumstances, is ignorant.

Also, people don't just cut because they are going "through some really tough shit". It is more complicated than any simple statement could ever say. Cutting is something that is joyous, torturous, addictive, soothing, destructive, mesmerizing. Indescribable. It can be a great relief or a huge burden, a constant help or an unerring monster.

The reasons a person cuts are their own, and no one can understand it but them.
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
October 18th, 2006 at 07:50am
XxThePatientxX:
PrettyAsACarcrash!?:

AMEN.

Suicide IS selfish; it ruins the lives of everyone that loved that person. I know from experience. Nothing is worth killing yourself over. NOTHING.

I completly disagree. Your forgetting the wider picture here. People kill them selves for many different reasons. Take for example someone who is in constant physical pain, if they have nerve damaged etc, a pain so bad that even the strongest pain killers only take the edge off it, imagine them knowing that they would have to live with it for the rest of your life. In constant pain, never getting even a second of rest, being woken in the night because of the pain, not being able to live a fulfilling life. Now if they took their own life would you not understand? Yes you would be hurt, yes you would wish they hadn't done it, but in the end, surely you would be able to move on, knowing that they were no longer in pain?

I've been in this stuation with a close family member, and I completly understand why they did it, I would be the selfish one if I couldn't.

This is no different to having a mental illness that you can not/will not get help for. Its the same tournment, every day, believing there will never be an end. Sometimes its worse, because along with the depression and other problems you can experience intense physiological symptoms, pain, loss of breath, headaches, chronic fatigue (even though created by the mind the body can not distinguish between real and psychosomatic problems like this) so they can be just as bad.
Not.Worth.Living.
Killjoy
Not.Worth.Living.
October 18th, 2006 at 08:00am
this isnt a confession.
people associate "emo" with self harm but i have known 3 people who suicided and one of them didnt even know what emo was, and the others didnt have anything to do with that.
think about it.
this is really important
Mud
Really Not Okay
Mud
October 18th, 2006 at 09:47am
Punk_Bling_Girl_85:
This is no different to having a mental illness

Someone said the magic word! Depression is a mental illness. It defies reason and the sufferer reacts to certain situations in an irrational manner. It isn't selfish. It is an illness and a very serious one at that.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
October 18th, 2006 at 03:29pm
^A lot of people think that self-harm and depression are two peas in a pod.

Well, often, they're not. Not all those who cut suffer from depression.