Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
Bleeding on the Floor
Punk_Bling_Girl_85
October 28th, 2006 at 10:18am
XxThePatientxX:
Ok well I just made up an excuse to get off the phone with her cause I didn't know what to say. If she ends up killing herself i'm gonna feel partially responsible. Well i know she wont do that though. She said her friends were getting on her nerves REALLY BAD so she went to get a knife and she cut her arm like 3 times. She put on a sweatshirt to cover it up. I've never had a friend that's done this before. She's not my best friend cause i just met her like 2 months ago but she's still my friend. I really need to know what to tell her. I'm gonna write her a note on Monday. GOD i wish she liked MCR so that could help her like it helps me. Sigh. It still wouldnt fiz everything though. Has anyone here ever had a friend that's cut herself? What did u say/write to them?

I've never been in that position so its a tough one really. I guess most importantly she needs to know that you are there for her. You also need to get accross to her how wrong this is, maybe find out if she has done it before? Because if this is the first time then there is probably a very good chance she could stop before it becomes some kind of coping mechanism.

You need to just stay calm about the whole situation, let her talk to you, she must really trust you to have told you in the first place, you need to let her know thats its not okay to be doing this. I don't mean tell her off or anything, but try and help her find some other ways of dealing with her emotional pain. Tell her maybe nextime she feels like this to try screaming on the top of her lungs, or even going for a run or something, using her energy to relieve the tension rather than resorting to this.
jack---fantasy
Killjoy
jack---fantasy
October 29th, 2006 at 11:19am
its infuriating that people with genuine problems are thrown into the "attention-seeker" category when they harm themselves by people where i come from. even parents are struggling to tell when kids are genuinly troubled because there are so many fucking people who do it for attention.
scissorglamour
Killjoy
scissorglamour
October 29th, 2006 at 10:10pm
What can be done to prevent it? i think just being yourself, and being loved for it, would do a hell of a lot. There would be no pressure to fit into stereotypes.

Who does it affect?i think basically anyone between 10-whatever.
its really sad how some people can be consumed by this torture inside theyre head. age isnt more the thing, its who your around.
if your friends cut, you are more likely to.
if you fake something, you are more likely to.
and shit like that

Why is it more common now than 10-20 years ago?definantly.
with the "EMO" scene now, some people cut to be "Emo" even though you dont have to cut.

Are there enough support groups?HELL YES. the question is, are people using them?

How can family members help? if the person harming themselves is open to the help.
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
October 30th, 2006 at 12:44am
hey guys this is my 1st post here after getting hooked onto MCR for 7 days with the romance still going!

ok back to this topic...it's really mind opening relieving to read this sort of sensible discussion on a message board with many of you who may fit into the emo category...

Yeah- I'm sick of the negative and shallow attitudes and generalisation towards emos as people who cut themselves etc...I myself am disgusted to have been called 'emo' 3 times with that certain air of eliteness and criticism that people say it with.

and hence I hate the generalisation. Especially by other singers like Adam and Andrew who sang "the emo kid song". At first I thought it was hilarious but soon i couldn't laugh anymore where they sing about kids cutting themselves.

It's such a real life situation you can't laugh or tease the kids about it.

I myself haven't heard many emo songs and MCR is the most I've heard...but I find it hard to understand and ironic that people say MCR saved their lives yet they're probably still depressed and cut themselves.

I just think that the way some kids understand the music has got to do with the harm they do to themselves.

sorry I'm not dissing the lyrics in any way- i think you need a certain firmness of knowing who you are and what your life is about to listen to MCR. That's one of the solutions to the problem of emos cutting themselves. I reckon it's the root of the problem. Not the music's problem hell no...I see MCR as an artistic band.

ahaah...now after saying all this on my 1st post I'm scared of having tomatoes thrown at me for such edgy comments on the band...
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
October 30th, 2006 at 12:53am
Ok, I'm not going to throw tomatos at you, but I will take the time to point you in the right direction.

This is the Suicide/self harm thread, so all posts should be focusing mainly on that, discussing why it's right, wrong, fixable, part of life, etc. You managed to get something on cutting, but you also kind of lost the plot and trailed off into labels. The post you made, while respectable, should go in a labelling thread called "Finding Emo" in the INO Chamber.

Also, you should go to the Noobs board and introduce yourself, and maybe spend some time touring the INO Chamber before jumping in here. The discussions here are serious, often heated, and sometime we don't have a lot of patience for posts in the wrong place.

Keep in mind that I'm trying to help you, and not trying to insult or belittle you.

Please go introduce yourself. Pop into the What Are You Thinking? Thread in the INO chamber, play a few games, get the general feel of the site. If you have any questions or need directions or whatever, feel free to PM me.

Welcome, have fun, and don't be discouraged.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
October 30th, 2006 at 12:07pm
Broken Dream:
I think:
Suicide: If you SERIOUSLY have a bad depressing life, it's ok I guess. I would commit suicide if I have a really sad life.
Cutting: Is absoluetly stupid. One, a lot of cutters are attention-seekers. And two, it doesnt make a difference. Cutting will still make your life even more miserable.

Cutting isn't just to get fucking attention. About 85% of those that cut had some form of sexual abuse comittied on them and it's their way to exert some form of control over themselves because they feel they have no control over the abuse. Fuck Off Bangin Fuck Off
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
October 30th, 2006 at 12:10pm
blow me a kiss;:
in 10 kids that cuts, 7 do it for attention, or just to follow the emo trend. and the remaining 3, really has problems. they'd rather feel physical pain that emotional, their life sucks so much and stuffs..and suicide, it's a different issue, cutting is just alternating the emotional pain with physical, but suicide? it's ending everything..but i agree, what's the use of living if everything you live for is gone..but everyone should remember that, after all suicide is still the one-way ticket to hell>>>>>>>

Catholic I see. So murdering someone isn't a one way ticket to hell all the time but suicide, an act that is desperate and is a cry for help that wasn't heard.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
October 30th, 2006 at 12:14pm
Songbird:
Broken Dream:
I think:
Suicide: If you SERIOUSLY have a bad depressing life, it's ok I guess.

No, it isn't.
There are a million other, much better, ways of dealing with "bad depressing lives", ways that don't hurt all the people around you, ways that mean you can turn your life around.

Suicide is terrible.
It doesn't just effect the person who kills themself.
It effects everybody in their life.

One of my best friends killed himself almost 8 months ago, & I still can't deal with the fact that he is gone. I still cry whenever I think of him, or when I hear certain songs that he loved.
He didn't deserve to go out of the world in that way.

I'm not saying that suicide is the "easy" way out, or the "cowards" way out, because I know that it would take a great deal of determination to actually go through with it.
But honestly, it is a terrible way to die.
People never know for sure why you did it, and the effects are so long lasting.

I am sorry about your friend but I disagree in the fact that suicide is the cowards way out. I myself have come to darm close to committing suicide, the ultimate cowards act, but still had enough logic left in me to realize what I was doing was wrong and I am ovbiously still here today.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
October 30th, 2006 at 12:16pm
MyOwnImmortality:
D.92:
10-20 years ago the world was closed, now there's more than one culture
in each country, at the past people believed in God more than now,
beliveing in God it what makes people stronger against suicide and self harm,
so to stop doing this, get closer to God!

No. Religion does not solve everything. That's just a plain narrow minded statement and the topic has way more depth than ' Just get closer to God.'

No. Observe society a lot closer, please.

Due to past experiance, I believe religion's narrow-minded thinking has caused more suicides then it has prevented. I said it and I DON'T regret it!
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
October 30th, 2006 at 02:27pm
^Ok, look. Firstly, please don't do multiple postings like that, it's hard on the eyes, takes up more space than fitting it all into one post, and is redundant.

Also, please watch your language. The reason that profanity is unwanted here is because it leads to unpleasent/heated arguments, rather than calm discussion.

Please re-read the rules for the discussion board. And don't roll your eyes at the rule against profanity, because I saw that.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
October 30th, 2006 at 04:21pm
Just curious, how did I swear in the above said? Honestly, I am not trying to be smart or anything I want to know. About the rules thread to begin with I did that because what is the point of having a discussion board when you have someone looking painstakingly close over for cussing and editing it or deleting the post completelydefeats the whole purpose of a serious discussion because I would think a person would want to hear honesty. Any way is this a private site? If not, three words "FREEDOM OF SPEECH.". By the way your avatar is hard on my eyes, it reminds me of those images that cause some people to have seizures.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
October 30th, 2006 at 05:16pm
In your fist post, right under mine. "Cutting isn't just to get fucking attention". If it was the first time I had seen you swear in here, I wouldn't have said anything and would have passed it off as a mistake. But given your post in the rules thread and a couple of others threads here, I decided to say something.

Swearing is taboo here, because profanity leads the discussion away from civility. This is the only board where profanity is restricted, so please respect that rule. And no, no one is studiously looking over this thread or board for cussing, as the mods and admins are busy enough without having to check over every post. But if it becomes a problem, it can be reported.

Not to mention that it is not at all necessary to use profanity here to get your point across.

If you wish to talk to me further on that, please pm me.

Now, on the actual subject, lest this become spam.

Cutting is a far more involved and intricate issue than that which has been summed up here in the few blunt words some people have used. Circumstance and the understanding of the people who do cut themselves are crucial to understanding the problem, if there is one.

Not all cutting a bad, or a problem. The majority, yes. But not all.
Innamorata
Awake and Unafraid
Innamorata
October 30th, 2006 at 06:01pm
scissorglamour:

Who does it affect?i think basically anyone between 10-whatever..

I just would like to point out that there have been cases, where there actually have been children starting at the age of 9 and below as well; Involving self-harm. It's quite morbid and gives you this reality check that is disturbing.

scissorglamour:
How can family members help? if the person harming themselves is open to the help.

Depends on the family situation. Unfortunately, there is mounds of families who simply do not want to bother with treating/helping their love ones and who refuse to try and understand from the perspective of what's causing them to be in this mind set.

Edit://
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
October 30th, 2006 at 08:02pm
^some people want help, they just dont know how to ask for it or think that they aren't good enough for anyone to help them. thats why we need to recognise the warning signals and let them know that you are there for them.
Innamorata
Awake and Unafraid
Innamorata
October 30th, 2006 at 08:36pm
MistressRhi:
^some people want help, they just dont know how to ask for it or think that they aren't good enough for anyone to help them. thats why we need to recognise the warning signals and let them know that you are there for them.

Thanks for pointing this out. That's actually not how the statement was suppose to be.

Some people who choose to self-harm or who think about suicide are not able to bring forth that cry for help. They've been keeping it in for so long, why do they need to waste their breath?

In reality, the signs need to be acknowledged, whether the person who is noticing them ( this could also involve yourself) wants to admit it or not.
DiabolicalDancer
Thinking Happy Thoughts
DiabolicalDancer
October 30th, 2006 at 09:05pm
thruthofcontroversy: "Catholic I see." (in reference to a previous post)

I know that this was not cruelly intended, or hope not, but in any case I take offense to it. I am Catholic and cringe everytime Catholicism is generalized, taking it as a personal attack. Many people have commented in this thread about the negativity of sterotypes towards those who cut, et cetera - I ask that you try to avoid any this please towards any group.

Furthermore, according to the Catechism of the Catholic: (paragraph 2283) We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

The Catholic Church does not condemn those who commit suicide, but rather allow only God to pass judgement on them.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
October 31st, 2006 at 12:26am
MyOwnImmortality:

Thanks for pointing this out. That's actually not how the statement was suppose to be.

Some people who choose to self-harm or who think about suicide are not able to bring forth that cry for help. They've been keeping it in for so long, why do they need to waste their breath?

In reality, the signs need to be acknowledged, whether the person who is noticing them ( this could also involve yourself) wants to admit it or not.

totally agree with you there, i didnt think you meant it any other way.

woah guys this is a discussion about suicide and self harm and the prevention of that, don't make it a religious argument. True religion plays its part but if you want to argue religion there is a thread for that.
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
October 31st, 2006 at 12:11pm
To prevent it talk to someone you absoultley love. I mean if they really love you they will help you. So just get help it's not your fault, of whatever reason you do this.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
October 31st, 2006 at 12:14pm
RedRose:
thruthofcontroversy: "Catholic I see." (in reference to a previous post)

I know that this was not cruelly intended, or hope not, but in any case I take offense to it. I am Catholic and cringe everytime Catholicism is generalized, taking it as a personal attack. Many people have commented in this thread about the negativity of sterotypes towards those who cut, et cetera - I ask that you try to avoid any this please towards any group.

Furthermore, according to the Catechism of the Catholic: (paragraph 2283) We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

The Catholic Church does not condemn those who commit suicide, but rather allow only God to pass judgement on them.

I'm sorry if I offfended you. I mean it. It's just when I was younger I go up in a town that was very clique, the cliques being families, and I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic Preochial school. Besides the fact that if you had the 'wrong family' name you were nothing, if you weren't Catholic or if you weren't 'Catholic enough' then you were nothing. Un fortunately, my mom's family fell under the first one and the negativety from the second one turned me one hundred eighty degrees away from Catholism and I choose not to believe in organized religion because of that. When I do say I am sorry I mean it because despite that I know there are people out there nice and accepting and are Catholic, so I don't have a hate for EVERY Catholic.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
October 31st, 2006 at 12:15pm
^^ I didn't know that. I always thought that Suicide was considered the"Unforegiveable Sin" in the eyes of the Catholic Church. I find that interesting in a good way.