Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
shazzam
Motor Baby
shazzam
January 30th, 2009 at 07:05pm
In the journalism classes I'm taking at the college, we have to do this insane video on self-harm. It's hard to concentrate though when I'm getting in constant arguements with my fellow group members about self-harm. A vast majority are saying, "We shouldn't tell people self-harm is bad". What? Then later, they try to tell me it's good and by cutting in certain places, it relieves stress. The point of the video is self-harm awareness, and they're saying we should do a video on how self-harm is okay.
I'm familiar with the concept of harming ones self to relieve tension, and whatever else (for some, attention), but these group members are fucking crazy and are crying out for help in the most annoying way.

B.S.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
February 2nd, 2009 at 07:21am

I heard something really interesting last year. Interesting and deeply disturbing.
Now, I'm not sure if I heard correctly, I could've mixed up the conversation. But a group of students a year younger than me were near me during lunch, and this is what I overheard.

"I cut for the first time today."
"Oh really? I'm proud of you."

Now, I immediately froze and tried to listen in, but I couldn't hear anything else. I'm pretty sure this is what they said, but I'm not 100% sure.

This disturbs me for many reasons. One of them being that the teen who started to cut might actually do it due to peer pressure, and not because they have real problems. And two, because the friend was encouraging it.

What do you think about friends who cut together and encourage each other to do so?
arthur pendragon.
Crash Queen
arthur pendragon.
February 2nd, 2009 at 09:41am
I think encouraging your friends to do it, makes you possibly the worst friend out there.
I know from personal experience that when i found myself in that situation, where it was both of us, it was an eye opener. It was the last thing in the world I wanted her to be doing, and I wanted her to get better. And by helping her I helped myself.
But encouraging each other is selfish and childish.

LeATHERMOUTH.
Salute You in Your Grave
LeATHERMOUTH.
February 2nd, 2009 at 04:03pm
^^ i totally agree with you. if people wanna self harm, fine they can do whatever they want, but encouraging other people to do it is messed up in my opinion. supporting someone who self harms or telling them its right and then encouraging them to carry on, is one of the worst possible things you can do.
ninacatexd
Killjoy
ninacatexd
February 3rd, 2009 at 05:56pm
cutting isnt cool, and nobody thinks so
so dont acuse people of thinking its cool
ninacatexd
Killjoy
ninacatexd
ninacatexd
Killjoy
ninacatexd
ninacatexd
Killjoy
ninacatexd
photocopied_dreamx3
Killjoy
photocopied_dreamx3
February 13th, 2009 at 06:59pm
I think these decisons go 'round and 'round in lots of peoples' heads. I've meet people I never would have guess have cut. It's so saddening, but real
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
February 14th, 2009 at 02:08pm
I think people commit suicide because they think there's no way out or they have nothing to live for. They feel like no one would understand or care about their feelings, or they may think someone would call their pain fake or 'not a big deal.' And I know that this is not a religion thread, but I believe people who commit suicide will still go to Heaven, because Jesus died for our sins and that sin would be gone once you die. So... yeah.

I think people self harm because they have no control over things. Not really a suicide attempt, but really just a release of anger, sadness, lonliness, ect. Cutters should not be forced to quit, because that would only make matters worse. Or they may just do it because they want to or whatever. But most of the time out of emotion.
photocopied_dreamx3
Killjoy
photocopied_dreamx3
February 19th, 2009 at 09:07pm
They should not be "forced" to stop. But even if it's "not that big of a deal", it's still an issue. It's self demeaning. I know. Trust me. It hurts your self esteem. It leaves marks. And you are worth so much more.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
February 20th, 2009 at 10:12am
i don't think people should be forced to stop self harming. it's not life-endangering. but they should be asked to seek help if they have nought sought it already.

as for suicide, in my opinion, unless someone is going to die of a very painful death, suicide is never the right thing, there's always a way to help make things better.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
February 23rd, 2009 at 11:59pm
I went to a talk last night that Jamie from 'To Write Love On Her Arms' did, and it was truly amazing. Aaron Gillespie from Underoath was there too, and some of the things they talked about, and the questions they answered were amazing.

Anyway, I remember one question being 'Do you ever believe it's ok to commit suicide?' As in like people are like 'Oh, at least they're better off' etc. And Jamie had a really interesting answer, as I know a lot of people who have no sympathy towards suicide. He said he had heard a quote (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'It is not the man, but the moment' and he went on to say how you shouldn't judge someone by their suicide, because it was just a moment, a choice in the whole of their lives. And I very much agree with that. We make choices everyday, and suicide might happen to be one for someone. I'm not saying I agree with suicide, but I don't think people should be all like 'oh it's stupid!' etc.
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
February 24th, 2009 at 12:00am
nameless...:
I think people self harm because they have no control over things.

Exactly. And the self harm is the one thing in their life that they have control over.
KidEmery
Killjoy
KidEmery
March 1st, 2009 at 09:56pm
This is a hard subject, considering a few people in my family including myself have gone through suicidal periods...there's been 24 hour watches, hospital stays and medication...

I don't believe suicide is the answer...I thought I could never make it past 15/16/17 I thought I'd always feel that way, I thought things would never get better. I went through a whole lot of shit and now at 19 I'm totally different, totally changed.
I'm happy. Smile It's pretty fuckin' cool if you ask me, and all because I got help when I needed it...

I can't imagine what I would have done if I had lost my younger or older sister to suicide, they're still dealing with things.. there's good days and bad days but there's nothing so awful that you can make it though with some help, love and support <3

On self harm... last month it's been two years without cutting. A huge feat.
I'm unable to judge anyone in either of these positions, but I just hope that they know that there's a way out, and it's not dying.
cherrryred
Killjoy
cherrryred
March 2nd, 2009 at 12:20pm
i used to self harm. i thought it helped. i found out when i went to the hospital for cutting and suicidal thoughts that it's obviously not the answer and won't help in the long run.

it is, indeed, something you have control over. but it also redirects pain. for me, and most cutters i asume, physical pain is much more easily dealt with than emotional pain.

my time in the hospital, which was about 2 and half months, really helped. self harm and suicide are never ever ever the answer. not only are you ending your life when you have so so much potential, but it's the most selfish thing you can do. don't pretend no one cares about you, because someone out there does.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
March 4th, 2009 at 04:46pm
^ Congratulations hug

But another perspective...what if the person is determined to end their life. That's their choice. Is it wrong to basically take over their life, and do something that could be interpreted as "you don't have control over your life anymore, I know what's best for you".
What does everyone think about that?
die schwarze Parade
Fabulous Killjoy
die schwarze Parade
March 5th, 2009 at 03:30pm
die schwarze Parade
Fabulous Killjoy
die schwarze Parade
March 5th, 2009 at 03:30pm
yeah
it's a pretty sad thing, i mean i honestly don't see any point in cutting,burning,or anything of that nature. esspessially not suicide, because there's alwaus a different solution to some kind of problem-no matter what in the world it is. it's probly more common now because people just seem to be deppressed since they can't afford to go places and just escape from whatever situation they're in and think it over/find a soulution. but it really seems to affcect people that are around 17-19 or 20 (or atleast as far i know) and my guess is pretty much that they won't ask their parents or family for help with things...and on prevention-i don't really know
tabitha
Bleeding on the Floor
tabitha
March 6th, 2009 at 06:33am
^^ I think that's completely untrue. That is why someone who is suicidal is sent to counseling, to help them learn to control their emotions, including the need to commit suicide. As HEY AMY said, it is just a moment in their lives. They are faced with a choice; suicide or asking for help. To me, suicide is the cowardly way out because you aren't dealing with the problem. And to answer your question, I believe wholeheartely that if someone is attempting suicide and someone is able to step in stop you, then they should. You are not in your right mind if you are contemplating suicide, and the other person has a moral imperative to help you. It would be no different than placing a mentally ill person in a home where they can receive the services and the training that they need. Being depressed is a mental illness that deserves treatment so that the patient can learn coping skills and how to achieve balance in their lives.