Don't have an account? Create one!

Suicide and Self harm

AuthorMessage
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
March 6th, 2009 at 11:54pm
Questionable Content:

But another perspective...what if the person is determined to end their life. That's their choice. Is it wrong to basically take over their life, and do something that could be interpreted as "you don't have control over your life anymore, I know what's best for you".
What does everyone think about that?

In some ways, it's the right thing to do. But going through suicidal thoughts myself, and pondering about suicide for days upon days, I have thought about this issue at some point. I would hate it if someone took control of it. Since some people are depressed because they feel they have no control in their life, their minds might go berserk, and become more depressed. So in some cases, this is the right thing to do, and in some it's not. It really depends on the situation.

I don't think suicide is selfish or proves that your weak either. My thought process ran as though the people who want to help you are being selfish, because you're in so much pain and they're making you stay so they won't grieve for you. That's how I thought of it for a few days. I don't think it proves your weak because sometimes pressure can make you do things that you wouldn't normally do. And under pressure, suicide might be the first thing you think of to free yourself. Some people may think that suicide is the only way out of things, even if they are under pressure for a short amount of time, or a long amount of time and too lost to even explain for words what's wrong so they never get help. They may be even afraid to seek help. They may think nobody would care to stop and listen to their problems, so they end their life.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
March 7th, 2009 at 05:22pm
^^^ I don't think you should try and control them,or take over their life or anything. Talk to them about it,and I mean,that's really all you by yourself can do. I'm not saying suicide is good,in any kind of way,either.

I def. think you should try to talk them down and out of it,because I believe everyone has something to live for,wether you know what it is yet or not.
Don't Ignore Me
Killjoy
Don't Ignore Me
March 18th, 2009 at 01:33am
I watched Emo: The Movie on Youtube (It's about the Daily Mail protest. Watch it, it's really good), and the Anonymous people were talkimg about how people who like MCR are emos and self-harm, but i don't see how all of that is cnnected. It's probably because MCR are an easy target..

There's no point wasting your life because of some depression. Get some therapy. MCR counts as well, because you just have to remember that they're basically saying "You may not feel so great now, but someday you WILL be happy again". It's easier said than done, but remember all the good things :3
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
March 19th, 2009 at 09:53am
I do think that you should talk to the person, try to get them help, etc. Because although at the time, the person with suicidical thoughts might be angry with you/feel you're taking over their life, in the long run it is helpful to them. It's been statistically proven that a lot of people who try to commit suicide regret it, either immediatly or long-term. I've had suicidical thoughts myself, but was forced to get help and now, I am truly grateful.
Just my two cents.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
March 19th, 2009 at 02:31pm
Easier said than done, when the person your trying to help is doing everything to hate you.
make some noise;
Jazz Hands
make some noise;
March 20th, 2009 at 11:28am
Whilst that is true, getting them help is the best thing to do. It could be as simple as telling their parents. What happened to me, actually, was my friend told me she wanted to show me a new shop that she'd found and she ended up driving to the hospital and coming with me to a pyschologist. She made me talk, and I hated her for months, but then I realized that she really was trying to help.
GerardGay
Killjoy
GerardGay
March 20th, 2009 at 02:54pm
You all have really good points, but you don't understand.

Ever since I've started listening to MCR, I've realised how disgusting this world is, and it just feels like there's no other way to release my anger, than on myself.

MCR helped me realise this. They saved my life.

Every scar on my arm represents my love for them.

You guys aren't true fans if you don't understand!!!

xxx
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
March 21st, 2009 at 04:05pm
For people who say suicide is a cowards way out, I couldn't agree less. Its very uncowardly, as how can you say that putting a gun to your head, and having the bravery to shoot, or to jump, or to anything, is cowardly? You're ending your own life, and it takes a whole lot of guts to do that.
x..touching_hands..x
Really Not Okay
x..touching_hands..x
March 26th, 2009 at 11:10am
John St. John:
Easier said than done, when the person your trying to help is doing everything to hate you.

Of course it is. But isn't it better to have someone hate you and know that you did the best thing for them, even if that meant them hating you for a while? Because in the long run they need help, not someone who is going to agree with them for the sake of an easy ride.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
March 26th, 2009 at 04:06pm
But when someone is making it painfully obvious that they dont want your help, and that your not wanted, what do you do then? Pick them up and carry them to a doctor?
x..touching_hands..x
Really Not Okay
x..touching_hands..x
March 27th, 2009 at 09:54am
In my opinion, yes. If they are that unwell that they truly don't believe they need help, you can be responsible for them, as they can no longer be responsible for themselves. That is what the Mental Health Act is for.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
March 27th, 2009 at 01:09pm
Im willing to bet that the mental health act is for highly qualified experts who know how to deal with these situations. Not for ordinary members of the public to take into there own hands
Demolition Vampire.
Killjoy
Demolition Vampire.
March 27th, 2009 at 05:42pm
It may be because they like doing it, or someone or a group of people are doing it, or had a little taste of it and ended up doing it all the time... or maybe they really hate themselves that much.. and I think suicide is pointless.. I mean just think of all the good things that you like to feel, even if you consider your life to be the worst EVER, if you kill yourself, you won't be able to feel those things ever again, because your'e dead. I know we all die at some point, but don't you want that fullfillment? that's what I think.
x..touching_hands..x
Really Not Okay
x..touching_hands..x
March 27th, 2009 at 06:07pm
In my (extensive) experience, the Mental Health Act requires family members/friends/relatives to be put into action, as sadly mental health professionals do not have the time to be chasing up every unwilling patient on their own. Of course it requires the involvement of experts, but is generally put into action by 'ordinary members of the public' as they are the on that knows the patient.
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
March 29th, 2009 at 03:47am
I think that something serious like suicide or selfharm should most definately be dealt with but if the patient doesn't want to be help how do people expect them to be successful in helping them. For people to get through and make an impact i think it requires a lot of work from both sides, the paitent needsmto open up and let others know whats going on and ask for help before anyone can even attempt to do anything about it.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
April 9th, 2009 at 08:42pm
ignore. -__-

girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
April 9th, 2009 at 08:43pm
I really don't think anyone can cut themselves purely because "it's cool".
If they're that desperate for their peers' approval, then I think they have other issues that need to be dealt with,
rather for them to be shunned as 'unworthy of help', because if you think about it, that's adding fuel to the fire.

John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
April 12th, 2009 at 03:45pm
GerardGay:

Ever since I've started listening to MCR, I've realised how disgusting this world is, and it just feels like there's no other way to release my anger, than on myself.

xxx

HA!

I musn't be a true fan because im actually happy most of the time.

thats NOT what MCR is about.
Jenny.
Jenny.
April 12th, 2009 at 03:48pm
GerardGay:

xxx

what if I say you're not a true fan because you self harm?

idk how anyone can accuse anyone else of not being a "true fan". If you like the music, you're a fan. End.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
April 12th, 2009 at 04:40pm
GerardGay:

xxx

you cut yourself yet they saved you? ok that makes perfect sense, nice logic!

I think your actually missing the whole complete piont of MCR and I'm gonna try to not rant you out, because apparently I'm not a "true fan" so I can't talk.

I use to do alot of things to myself and not cause of MCR, but because at the time I needed an escape. Then when MCR entered my life about 4 years ago, they really made question why I was doing it. THey gave me the courage to STOP cutting myself and GET HELP. They made me realize that, yeah, the world can be an awful place where awful things can happen to good people, but it can also be very beautiful and to "carry on" through the bad times to see the beauty in life. A very smart man (or woman) has said before that the only way to really appreciate the good in life is to see how bad it can get, and the only way to truely be in love is to have your heart broken (which now that I"m bringing love into this, love is a very real thing out in this awful world that makes life worth it and to live without hurting yourself)

So while this will probably mean absolutely nothing to you cause you get that message, would you at least go listen to some of thier interviews where they talk about cutting? if your a true fan, go look. YOu know what they say? they hate cutting, they think there are better ways to solve your problems (which there are) and that nothing, I repeat, NOTHING is worth hurting yourself over.

edit:while I was writing that Welcome to the Black Parade came on which just fueled m even more, thank you Ipod God that decides what comes next on shuffle