Disenchanted

AuthorMessage
Cadence
Salute You in Your Grave
Cadence
December 9th, 2006 at 10:01pm
"it was the roar of the crowd that gave me heartache to sing"

possibly one of my favorite lyrics.

i'm not deep enough to even begin to imagine what they mean by this song, but i think you guys are doing a very good job at it ^.^
xx_coop_xx
Killjoy
xx_coop_xx
December 10th, 2006 at 02:31am
I think this song is about a friendship or relationship ending, the line 'i hate the ending myself but it started with an alright scene' i think applies to a new friendship and that it ended badly, the lines 'if i'm so wrong how could you listen all night long' i think is about when it ended but it was completely over and they were still bitter towards each other.
this song i think comes from a time after everything finished and that maybe the other person is now sick and dying in hospital and you're remembering all the memories you had..i dunno that's just what i think
Lonely_Death666
Killjoy
Lonely_Death666
December 11th, 2006 at 11:25pm
i think the song is about 'some one' looking back on the start of there life and the 'person' regretting what has happened since those times "i hate the ending my self but it started with an alright scene"
loveneverwantedme
Killjoy
loveneverwantedme
December 12th, 2006 at 10:06am
i think that in this song is about the band members reflecting on there life, like taking a step back and looking at it from another perspective (and as the lights all went out we watched our lives on the screen) and seeing some of there mistakes (i hate the ending myself but it started with an alirght scene) and thenremebering the good times that they had (and as we ran from the cops, we laughed so hard it would sting), and then going to when they first started touring and preforming music infront of live crowds ( it was the roar of the crowd that gave me heartache to sing, it was alive when they smiled and said you wont feel a thing)
They also remeber times back in high school when they were picked on (I spent my high school career, spit on and shoved to agree) and then plotting revenge on the people that had done them wrong at that time (Bring out the old guiliotine, well show them what we all mean)
I think that the chorus goes into a lost love in some sort of since (if im so wrong, how could you listen all night long, and will it matter long after im gone because you never learned a god damned thing) describing here about how this lost love never understood him, wronged him and then left him. he also goes on to describe how they will end up with the kind of lifestyle that they are living (your just a sad song with nothing to say) and then i think it goes intoa part about them being abused for the life that they have chosen (about a life long wait for a hospital stay)

yeah i know its long, and mayhaps mixed up in some sort of since, but i think it gets my point across
MusicalMueth
Killjoy
MusicalMueth
December 13th, 2006 at 10:40pm
This song is probably one of my favs. It reminds me of the holocaust, specifically about the book 'Night' ((great book btw))

Song Line: "We watched our lives on the screen. I hate the ending myself, But it started with an alright scene."
My interpretation: After time, we (prisoners of concentration camps) realized what happened. I hate what it is, but it seemed okay in the beginning.

Song Line: "It was the roar of the crowd That gave me heartache to sing."
My interpretation: It was the screams of the innocent that gave me the will to survive.

Song Line: "It was a lie when they smiled And said, "you won't feel a thing" "
My interpretation: It was the lie when they acted like everything was okay...right before they tortured us to no end.

Song Line: "If I'm so wrong How can you listen all night long? Now will it matter after I'm gone? Because you never learn a G*******d thing."
My interpretation: If I'm lying, why are people continuing to document that this horrific event happened. Now will these deaths go in vain because no one paid attention to what really happened.

Song Line: "I spent my high school career Spit on and shoved to agree,
So I could watch all my heroes Sell a car on tv. Bring out the old guillotine
We'll show 'em what we all mean."
My interpretation: I spent my entire life being told what to do, just to watch all the people I admired back down and pretend that nothing wrong was happening. Now, look how serious it was! Murders happening every hour or every day.

Song Line: "But where did you run to? And where did you hide? Go find another way, price you pay."
My Interpretation: Where were you when people realized what you did was wrong (directed towards nazis) ? Face your mistakes; don't blame it on others.

Song Line: "This never meant nothing to ya At all, at all, at all, at all."
My Interpretation: You never got anything out of it. Nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all. Nothing at all.

I think the repetition at the end was very important.

That's just the way i see it. hope it makes sense to you.
MusicalMueth
Killjoy
MusicalMueth
December 13th, 2006 at 10:42pm
loveneverwantedme:
i think that in this song is about the band members reflecting on there life, like taking a step back and looking at it from another perspective (and as the lights all went out we watched our lives on the screen) and seeing some of there mistakes (i hate the ending myself but it started with an alirght scene) and thenremebering the good times that they had (and as we ran from the cops, we laughed so hard it would sting), and then going to when they first started touring and preforming music infront of live crowds ( it was the roar of the crowd that gave me heartache to sing, it was alive when they smiled and said you wont feel a thing)
They also remeber times back in high school when they were picked on (I spent my high school career, spit on and shoved to agree) and then plotting revenge on the people that had done them wrong at that time (Bring out the old guiliotine, well show them what we all mean)
I think that the chorus goes into a lost love in some sort of since (if im so wrong, how could you listen all night long, and will it matter long after im gone because you never learned a god damned thing) describing here about how this lost love never understood him, wronged him and then left him. he also goes on to describe how they will end up with the kind of lifestyle that they are living (your just a sad song with nothing to say) and then i think it goes intoa part about them being abused for the life that they have chosen (about a life long wait for a hospital stay)

yeah i know its long, and mayhaps mixed up in some sort of since, but i think it gets my point across

that does make sense. i never really thought of it in that way. I had heard people say "it was a reflection of gerards life," which never really made sense to me.
AngelCake
Killjoy
AngelCake
December 14th, 2006 at 04:34am
This is probably wrong but what I first thought when I heard this was Gerard commenting back on all the people who misenterpret MCR and blame them for self-harm, suicide etc, for example the lines...'if im so wrong, how can you listen all night long' and 'this never meant nothing to ya'. Also this is slightly off topic but Disenchanted is going to be the third single off The Black Parade xoxox
HearTsEdEtS27
Killjoy
HearTsEdEtS27
December 15th, 2006 at 11:50pm
To me Gerard’s talking about how he grew up. He was tormented in high school for being different and never really had much hope into anything because everything was shallow. He couldn’t look to the outside world for a superhero because they didn’t exist, so he had nothing to help him escape from the beatings he endured. Then when he began singing he realized he wanted to make music to change the world, to save someone’s life because he knew he wanted to be the superhero to some other outcast in the same shoes he once wore. But he realized he was fooling himself into believing he needed more in life to perform better. Because in the end he started feeling the pressure and resorted to drugs and alcohol so nobody would be disappointed in the music/performances. And he’s asking if he’s wrong about it all. He wants to know if he’s wrong about having to make your own reality to survive. Because as a kid he was always wrong for being who he was, so now he’s telling truth behind it all. He’s telling the truth about what a lot of people go through because there are a lot of outcasts out there that know what Gerard is talking about. He’s been through pain and disappointment. So he’s singing about a person who never really lived life, maybe because he never could with society. So the person was just waiting to die and wasting their life. And Gee knows that, so he’s remembering all the times he had and comparing. The good and the bad. And he realizes he was doing the same thing. He was living life but he had nothing to really go by so it was all up to him. He didn’t have a happy ending at the end of the day, he had closed-minded piers and nobody to save him from it all. The song is about how he’s reflecting on his life and how there wasn’t much hope at all unless you made some. And that unless you fide your own sense of false hope, you will just waste your life waiting to die. And it’s true. It’s either take the beatings and let them get to you, or take the beatings and realize there’s more to life than the lies and pain that was dealt. And on the end, he’s saying, if you don’t get what he’s saying than that just means you don’t relate or understand. And that in the end, if he were to die, it would be a waste. Because all he wanted was to bring meaning to someone else’s fantasy driven life and show he gets it. And if Gerard cant teach someone through he’s experiences, than its all pointless because he wants people to relate and he wants people to understand what’s going on in society. He just wants to relate to someone for their sakes, because he wants to be the superhero. Gerard wants to show the pain and help people realize they aren’t alone. And if people don’t get that than that means it means nothing to them. So you have to understand that you have to find another way if you want to actually live life.
EsquisiteCorpse.
Bleeding on the Floor
EsquisiteCorpse.
December 16th, 2006 at 12:08am
HearTsEdEtS27:
To me Gerard’s talking about how he grew up. He was tormented in high school for being different and never really had much hope into anything because everything was shallow. He couldn’t look to the outside world for a superhero because they didn’t exist, so he had nothing to help him escape from the beatings he endured. Then when he began singing he realized he wanted to make music to change the world, to save someone’s life because he knew he wanted to be the superhero to some other outcast in the same shoes he once wore. But he realized he was fooling himself into believing he needed more in life to perform better. Because in the end he started feeling the pressure and resorted to drugs and alcohol so nobody would be disappointed in the music/performances. And he’s asking if he’s wrong about it all. He wants to know if he’s wrong about having to make your own reality to survive. Because as a kid he was always wrong for being who he was, so now he’s telling truth behind it all. He’s telling the truth about what a lot of people go through because there are a lot of outcasts out there that know what Gerard is talking about. He’s been through pain and disappointment. So he’s singing about a person who never really lived life, maybe because he never could with society. So the person was just waiting to die and wasting their life. And Gee knows that, so he’s remembering all the times he had and comparing. The good and the bad. And he realizes he was doing the same thing. He was living life but he had nothing to really go by so it was all up to him. He didn’t have a happy ending at the end of the day, he had closed-minded piers and nobody to save him from it all. The song is about how he’s reflecting on his life and how there wasn’t much hope at all unless you made some. And that unless you fide your own sense of false hope, you will just waste your life waiting to die. And it’s true. It’s either take the beatings and let them get to you, or take the beatings and realize there’s more to life than the lies and pain that was dealt. And on the end, he’s saying, if you don’t get what he’s saying than that just means you don’t relate or understand. And that in the end, if he were to die, it would be a waste. Because all he wanted was to bring meaning to someone else’s fantasy driven life and show he gets it. And if Gerard cant teach someone through he’s experiences, than its all pointless because he wants people to relate and he wants people to understand what’s going on in society. He just wants to relate to someone for their sakes, because he wants to be the superhero. Gerard wants to show the pain and help people realize they aren’t alone. And if people don’t get that than that means it means nothing to them. So you have to understand that you have to find another way if you want to actually live life.

Soo true A.J.
<3
HearTsEdEtS27
Killjoy
HearTsEdEtS27
December 16th, 2006 at 09:13pm
kendra i love you!
wardevil05
Killjoy
wardevil05
December 20th, 2006 at 06:06am
i think its about loneliness
xXbleedingXx
Killjoy
xXbleedingXx
December 24th, 2006 at 04:59am
for some reason
i feel i can immesly relate to this song
i feel as if the patient is looking back and realizing his mistakes
he is seeing that he was wrong and talks about being just a sad song
and i guess i can relate to that
having screwed up most of my life
mymikeyromance
Killjoy
mymikeyromance
December 25th, 2006 at 05:34am
when you're about to die "your whole life flashses before you"
i think this song is -that- for the patient
he looks back on his life before the black parade finally comes for him.
Lina Envy
Joining The Black Parade
Lina Envy
December 25th, 2006 at 10:41am
SA_MCRew:
Double A

I have a question: in the lyrics it says
Well if you think that I'm wrong this never meant nothing to you

Is the song saying if we think that they're wrong it meant something to us? Or is it saying it didn't mean anything? Cause the 'never' part contradicts 'nothing' by double negative (which equals positive) making it 'something'. Therefore if we think that they're wrong if meant something to us. Right?

Sorry I used logic terms on this but i didn't know how else to say it

My interpretation of that line is that he's asking the listeners to prove him wrong. "You're just a sad song with nothing to say
About a lifelong wait for a hospital stay
And if you think that I'm wrong
This never meant nothing to you"

He's saying people are just wasting their lives away, and if you think he's wrong, prove it. If you think he's wrong, it means something. You know?
need_saving
Killjoy
need_saving
December 25th, 2006 at 12:29pm
...yeah i'm new....but i've kinda come up with a conclusion...
you know how every album they've made (not including 'Life on the Murder Scene') involves some sort of story???? like a story factor, or something like that???? well....
what if they all form a big picture of some sort...the picture being the five stages of grief....
i mean, not necessarily in the order they should be in, but they're all there.... Shocked
the first album (bullets), has what i think could be denial and some anger...
the second one (revenge), has anger and depression...
and the third one (black parade), has some depression, bargaining, and finally...acceptance... Unsure
see where i'm going with this...?
idk, i could be wrong....
Lina Envy
Joining The Black Parade
Lina Envy
December 25th, 2006 at 12:34pm
I think that's a really really good interpretation of it. nice!
dime.a.dozen
Killjoy
dime.a.dozen
December 26th, 2006 at 06:04pm
I think it's about a younger Gerard that thought others around him were great. "So I could watch all my heroes
Sell a car on tv." And he ended up trying to convince some of his close friends/classmates that they weren't fake. But he found out as he got older, that his friends were right and that his 'heroes' were really fantasies.
Awake And Unafraid
Killjoy
Awake And Unafraid
December 27th, 2006 at 09:41am
good song but long. I'm going to interpret it for the concept. I found some good ideas on songmeanings.net. It could be the patients father singing this in the story.

Well I was there on the day
They sold the cause for the queen
-means he remembers when the world first cared less about good causes and more about power prestige and wealth.

And when the lights all went out
We watched our lives on the screen
-everyone in the black parade reflects on their life after death by watching it on a screen it says, but that could just be metaphor.

I hate the ending myself,
But it started with an alright scene
It was the roar of the crowd,
That gave me heartache to sing
It was a lie when they smiled
And said you won’t feel a thing
And as we ran from the cops
We laughed so hard it would sting

-about stupid stunts in high school days and stuff

If im so wrong, (so wrong, so wrong)
Can you listen to it all night long?
(Night long, night long)
Oh will it matter, after I’m gone
Because you never learned a goddamned thing

-if hes wrong about his point why are we listening? (his point comes up soon) and he doesn't think his son has learnt his lesson yet and might not ever learn it.

You're just a sad song, with nothing to say
*About a life long wait for a hospital stay*
-means that the patient was wasting his life so is was really like he was just waiting to die (in a hospital stay)

And if you think that I’m wrong
This never meant nothing, to you
-duh just what it means hes singing to the patient

I spent my high school career
Spit on and shoved to agree
So I can watch all my heroes
Sell a car on TV
-means he spent his high school days pushed around agreeing with everyone else and all his heroe (like alot of kids today) were just atheletes and stuff who were okay but just in it for the money and weren't really real heroes like Nelson Mandella, Ghandi (though hes dead), Vollunteers and more.

Bring out the old guillotine
We’ll show them what we all mean
-means like to further prove his point, which I think is: if you died now would any of that mean anything or would that be a life wasted.

So go,
Alright
Just go
Right away
But where did you run to?
Where did you hide?
Go find another way
- means like hes trying to teach his son a lesson but his son just wants to run and hide instead of facing his problems and trying to fix things-the point is stop running from your problems.

that about all I can do Very Happy

It was a lie when they smiled
And said you won’t feel a thing
-I dunno what it attually means but it remeinds me of going to the dentist and just before they give you an injection to make your mouth numb they say it will only be a little prick, and then it hurts alot.
HarlequinFirith
Always Born a Crime
HarlequinFirith
December 27th, 2006 at 01:51pm
I just loved the song the minute the guitar started playing... but whe I read the lyrics (yes! I had to read cause I didn't understand much) there were a few things that just stuck in my mind...
1st the strong relation the song has towars war.
2nd the band somehow trying to deliver a message about themselves through the lyrics.

The highschool part is definitively a band memorie: how they were all outcasted and forced to do things they didn't like and obey. But it also fits with the army thoughts (like in Teenagers and brainwashing ppl). But in the end non of this was good, cause all they get are phony heros and bad role models.

And then, they come to realize that they can sing and they can write and share experiences and maybe even teach someone something. And it's like: if they're wrong, how ppl keep listening? And whoever thinks they're wrong is cause never realized or never wanted to realize the world or life is not pretty and beautiful the whole time and doesn't wanna face the truth that horror exists. (horror in the way MCR tends to put in songs: suicide, murder, drugs and all that kind of stuff)

Anyways, after reading the whole topic I'm standing the theiry that music wrks for different leves in all of us. Maybe they wrote the song with a purpose, but unless we ask them, we can't know what they were thinking. And this is the cool thing about music: everyone get to have its own POV about it. Different interpretations, different feelings, different reactions. Like I said, I loved this song the moment I heard the guitar, without knowing what it really said and after knowing, I think I like it even more...

After all: "I'm just a sad song with nothing to say........"
Inertiatic Esp.
Bleeding on the Floor
Inertiatic Esp.
December 28th, 2006 at 01:17am
I personally see a connection in between this song and The Sharpest Lives. I beilieve the sharpest lives has to do with the patients past drug addications. I think that disenchanted has a certain hidden meaning anout the patients past life just like the sharpest lives