Don't have an account? Create one!

Disenchanted

AuthorMessage
justanotherfan
Killjoy
justanotherfan
February 7th, 2007 at 07:34pm
I agree that this song is about the Patient reflecting back on his life, but you can read it along with Gerard's life. But, if you had to analyze the song through the Patient's pov.

"We watched our lives on the screen.
I hate the ending myself,
But it started with an alright scene."

-When people die, there's a saying that your life flashes before your eyes. So, I see this as figuratively, the Patient's life is flashing before his eyes, seeing it on a movie screen. He hated the ending because he dies of cancer, which he now realizes he doesn't want. And, it was all because his life sucked. However, "it started with an alright scene" because his life didn't use to suck. He somehow took a wrong turn somewhere and this is where his life ended up. Which is evident in songs like "House of Wolves," "The Sharpest Lives," and "Sleep."

"It was the roar of the crowd
That gave me heartache to sing."

-This part is obviously related to Gerard's life. He always stated in his interviews how the band saved him. And, it was the fans and their dedication to the band that kept him going. Though the patient's pov, you can kind of say something made him change his mind about dying. And, now he wants to fight his cancer and wants to live.

"It was a lie when they smiled
And said, "you won't feel a thing""

-The lie was told by the doctors and nurses to the Patient.

"And as we ran from the cops
We laughed so hard it would sting"

-This is just the patient remembering the past, probably as a teenager.

The chorus is about the Patient trying to tell the audience to appreciate life because he didn't appreciate his and he felt he wasted his life. The whole song, the whole album was to show the audience that you shouldn't give up on life, no matter how bad it has gotten. So, the Patient was saying that if the audience didn't listen or thought the Patient was wrong, then the audience learned nothing from him. The whole experience was worthless.

"I spent my high school career
Spit on and shoved to agree
So I could watch all my heroes
Sell a car on tv
Bring out the old guillotine
We'll show 'em what we all mean."

-The Patient spent his life in high school being picked on and made to conform. And, he was given heroes that didn't give him any hopes. It seem like no one would help him when he obviously needed. Bringing out the guillotine, the Patient wanted to make a statement in high school. And, the only way he knew how to do it was through violence.

Whew! I felt like I was in English class.
eriinn
Killjoy
eriinn
February 8th, 2007 at 04:00pm
ok
this is heartbreaking
but this song is about the band
not playing anymore
listen to the lyrics
and it will
allll come together
also
listen to othere lyrics from 3 cheers
I have two examples

To the End:

To the last parade
When the parties fade
And the choice you made
To the End

make sence ?
maybe there is going to be
another black parade
like there was three sgt.peppers
or maybe they will slowly fade out
in the next couple years

whatever the case is
I will always love them
nokax_lyzard
Killjoy
nokax_lyzard
February 9th, 2007 at 05:59pm
I think this song is about the patient, thinking if it was worth it living.
he thinks about what he did in life and about what people thought of him.

I guess it gets a little personal in parts like : "If I'm so wrong, can you listen all night long" or "it was the roar of the crowd that gave me heartache to sing", where I think he's trying to say that he is good, becouse people always think of this band as dangerous. I think that in this music, they are tinking about what they did in life and trying to figure out why people think they're so bad influence, trying to prove them wrong. I guess this makes sence becouse this album is all about starting off new.
They are defending themselves by saying why they started this band ("I was there on the day.." we all know gerard was very inspired by the 9/11, this part makes me think of that ; "It was the roar of the crowd that gave me heartache to sing" explains how he felt) you can also find parts where they try to prove wrong ("If i'm so wrong, can you listen all night long" is trying to say like: how do you know, have you ever heard it? have you got the guts to listen and say your wrong?) and I think they also talk about how it was getting to the top, and people liking them just becouse they were on the top ("we watched our lives on the screen" and "watch all my heroes sell a car on TV" is them talking about the rise and fall of the rock stars and "it was a lie when they smile" talks about people being fake to them)

well, this is how I see it Wink
Gerardfanatic123
Killjoy
Gerardfanatic123
February 10th, 2007 at 03:40am
i think its about Gerards high school times coz i heard the lyric part
"i spent myhigh school carrer Bye
fxckingChelz''
Killjoy
fxckingChelz''
February 10th, 2007 at 04:43am
Gerardfanatic123:
probably part of it...
its a real sad song
We'reNotOkay
Killjoy
We'reNotOkay
February 10th, 2007 at 09:16am
I also think that the song is telling about how the patient can't go back to the good times he used to have, seeing as he is dea/dying.

And in the video for The Black Parade, in the patients tent, you see the TV screen with Gerard's face on it. "We watched our lives on the screen"

That *could* mean something, doubt it though.
fxckingChelz''
Killjoy
fxckingChelz''
February 13th, 2007 at 01:05am
We'reNotOkay:
I also think that the song is telling about how the patient can't go back to the good times he used to have, seeing as he is dea/dying.

And in the video for The Black Parade, in the patients tent, you see the TV screen with Gerard's face on it. "We watched our lives on the screen"

That *could* mean something, doubt it though.
hey i never thought about that, but if ya listen to the rest, it says:
"we watched our lives on the screen, i hate the ending myself, but it started with an allright scene"
that sounds like a video that starts with "conceivement" to death. (hate the ending)
The Hero.
Joining The Black Parade
The Hero.
February 18th, 2007 at 11:34am
I think Disenchanted is about looking back at your life and remembering all the stupid or fun things you've done. It's also about the band's experiences. Gerard's first time singing in front of a large crowd was in his school play, Peter Pan. When he sang, the crowd laughed at him and told him to quit. "It was the roar of the crowd that gave me heartache to sing."
I don't know about the other band members though. But if you listen to the lyrics, you can tell it's about the Patient thinking about all the fun and sad times he had when he was alive.
I think this song is also about The Patient finally clearing all his ties to the world, finally at peace. (Although, that contradicts the meaning of Famous Last Words.) Disenchanted means free of illusions.
Our Undead Romance
Killjoy
Our Undead Romance
February 18th, 2007 at 09:46pm
i think it's about the Patient looking back n his life like when he says "and as we ran from the cops, we laughed so hard it would sting" and all the good thoughts he had with fam and friends
DontFallDownStairs
Joining The Black Parade
DontFallDownStairs
February 21st, 2007 at 01:45pm
i love this song
anyway onto the point
i think this song (well parts of it) are about the criticism of the band
'If I'm so wrong (so wrong, so wrong)
How can you listen all night long? (night long, night long)
Now will it matter after I'm gone?
Because you never learn a goddamned thing.'
i think this is about Gerard wanting to make a difference and save lives but then realising that actually no-one else has managed to teach people anything so why will he
Katron 5000
Fabulous Killjoy
Katron 5000
February 26th, 2007 at 10:05pm
what I got from it was that it was about 'the patient' talking about all of his feeling and just everything that happened in his life all whirling before his eyes and being so squished together

Well I was there on the day
They sold the cause for the queen,
And when the lights all went out
We watched our lives on the screen.
But it started with an alright scene.
^the 1st part is talking about how he might have seen something that had to do with a big political controversy. Depending on how old Gerard and the band wanted to portray the patient this would make sense for someone in England because isn’t or wasn't there a queen over there.

It was the roar of the crowd
That gave me heartache to sing.
It was a lie when they smiled
And said, "You won't feel a thing"
And as we ran from the cops
We laughed so hard it would sting

^I think this part is about how before they decided to stop the chemo or whatever so he could just die he thanked all the nurses and doctors that helped him and the last 2 lines talks about how he might have been reflecting on what might have happened when he was a kid and he had a run in with the law.

If I'm so wrong (so wrong, so wrong)
How can you listen all night long? (Night long, night long)
Now will it matter after I'm gone?
Because you never learn a goddamned thing.

^this part really jumped out at me. In the first 2 lines especially. If I was a cancer patient with a slim chance of living I would talk about dying and wanting to die allot. I know my friends and family members would tell me it’s a bad thing to say that but they would still listen to every word I said. finally after they decided that it would be best if I past on I would think they would think back to every time I said it wasn't going to work and how I was gonna die anyway and how nothing matters anymore and how after seeing all of this they would never understand what it would feel like to be going through that and know your dying and how it would never feel the same to anyone else unless they were put into that exact situation.

You're just a sad song with nothing to say
about a life long wait for a hospital stay
and if you think that I'm wrong,
this never meant nothing to ya
^this is what I think the patient feels about his loved ones, how even though they were always there it didn’t mean very much because they never had enough time anyway.

I spent my high school career
so I could watch all my heroes
Sell a car on TV
we’ll show 'em what we all mean.

^this talks about how the patient never really did anything great with his life when he still had allot to go for and that he might as well of killed himself for wasting his best years.

So go, go away, just go, run away.
But where did you run to? And where did you hide?
Go find another way, price you pay

^in this part he would be talking about how because he’s dying people are going to try to avoid the subject with him and always talk about how when he gets out of the hospital there going to do all of these fun thing and how their lying to themselves for than him and their hiding from what’s really happening.

Well that’s what I got out of it.
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
February 27th, 2007 at 09:59pm
Lost In Hollywood:
my friend christie did a great interpretation of it. She thought it might be about the patient reflecting on his life.

/\/\/\/\ That's mine. Smile
MCR FOB AFI
Killjoy
MCR FOB AFI
March 3rd, 2007 at 05:04am
Xx.BIMbo--KILLer.XxX:
Gerardfanatic123:
probably part of it...
its a real sad song

all i know of this song is a sad story
gerard got rejected in his high skool times
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
March 5th, 2007 at 07:22pm
actually, i was having a long discussion with my friend about a lot of things, and this is what i think disenchanted means to me:

to me, this song is about how we should all be individuals and not take anyone's shit. be yourself, and don't give a damn what other people have to say about you. and in the end of your life, what happens? you wind up dying anyway // You're just a sad song with nothing to say about a lifelong wait for a hospital stay". and in society, if you don't agree with everything that is said // "I spent my high school career spit on and shoved to agree", you are considered an outcast, someone different from everyone else. this song is meant to describe the lack of normal-ness in life nowadays, and that what makes the person is there disenchanted persona. believing other people // "It was a lie when they smiled and said 'you won't feel a thing'] is in the song as well, and it gets you nowhere. what the band is trying to say, is to be your own person. everyone is a little bit disenchanted and irregular at times, which is the REAL normal in the world. you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself.

and this is my view on the song.
Gerard_LoverXx
Killjoy
Gerard_LoverXx
March 9th, 2007 at 03:43pm
well i think its about how 'the patient" (or maybe even gerard) looks back on his entire life. "we watched our lives on the screen", so it might be the entire band looking back. I think that the song is trying to say that you need to make the right choices. The song is thelling you not to follow the crowd or give into peer pressure.
I think that how the band connects this song with the patient is that when the patient dies, he is looking back on all the bad times and all the bad choices that he made and he kinda knows that his life was screwed up, and he kinda knows hes going to hell, but he doesnt want to admit it.
The patient can be anyone who has a dream, but makes a bad choice that dream gets crushed.
All that gerard is trying to explain is to be yourself through all the "disenchanted" times and to keep your dream alive.
David Cook.
Motor Baby
David Cook.
March 13th, 2007 at 11:17am
I never really understood this song. Now reading what people say, I can see it fit together. Yay.
YourMistake
Fabulous Killjoy
YourMistake
March 13th, 2007 at 12:56pm
I think this song could possibly be about how someone (Gerard, perhaps?) started into a situation just fine, but then as it (life) goes on things seem to go downhill. “We watched our lives on the screen
But it started with an alright scene”

Also reflecting to high school, when you were'nt allowed to have your own opinon. “I spent my high school career
Spit on and shoved to agree”

And for the chorus saying, maybe to everyone who sayes how bad he is (or MCR is) and if he is wrong about everything he's said and done then, why are you still here listening to him. Or perhaps, people who say they've changed and learned something, are just listening to the words, but never really learning their meaning. “If im so wrong, (so wrong, so wrong)
Can you listen to it all night long?
(Night long, night long)
Oh will it matter, after I’m gone
Because you never learned a goddamned thing”

P.S.- One of my favorite songs off the album. = )
DylanLee-Way
Fabulous Killjoy
DylanLee-Way
March 17th, 2007 at 04:31am
its one emotional song i've listened in the album....
I think its for a friend complacent of everything he did....

that's just it.
cyanidexromance
Killjoy
cyanidexromance
March 19th, 2007 at 03:09am
Iero Love:
actually, i was having a long discussion with my friend about a lot of things, and this is what i think disenchanted means to me:

to me, this song is about how we should all be individuals and not take anyone's shit. be yourself, and don't give a damn what other people have to say about you. and in the end of your life, what happens? you wind up dying anyway // You're just a sad song with nothing to say about a lifelong wait for a hospital stay". and in society, if you don't agree with everything that is said // "I spent my high school career spit on and shoved to agree", you are considered an outcast, someone different from everyone else. this song is meant to describe the lack of normal-ness in life nowadays, and that what makes the person is there disenchanted persona. believing other people // "It was a lie when they smiled and said 'you won't feel a thing'] is in the song as well, and it gets you nowhere. what the band is trying to say, is to be your own person. everyone is a little bit disenchanted and irregular at times, which is the REAL normal in the world. you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself.

and this is my view on the song.

completely agree^^

this song has saved me more times than i can count.
br00tal.
Salute You in Your Grave
br00tal.
March 21st, 2007 at 12:47am
Personally, I think that it is a song about the connection between the band and their fans. It can also be interpreted as The Patient's life.
---
Well I was there on the day
They sold the cause for the queen
And when the lights all went out
We watched our lives on the screen
[-LOTMS, they watched their lives]
But it started with an alright scene
It was the roar of the crowd,
That gave me heartache to sing
[-The fans giving Gerard the need to save lives]
It was a lie when they smiled
And said you won’t feel a thing
And as we ran from the cops
We laughed so hard it would sting

Yeah yeah
Whoa

If im so wrong, (so wrong, so wrong)
How can you listen to it all night long?
[-Gerard wonders how the fans can listen to him preach when he has made so many mistakes]
(Night long, night long)
Oh will it matter, after I’m gone
Because you never learned a goddamned thing
[-Gerard (or the whole band) wondering if they ever really did make a difference, or if nobody learned anything from them]

You're just a sad song, with nothing to say
About a life long wait for a hospital stay
[-This goes as a whole meaning. He is saying how your life is just a sad excuse with nothing meaningful. The lifelong wait for a hospital stay would be waiting for death. So basically saying you never made a difference while waiting to die. This could be Gerard speaking to himself, getting himself down if he didn't feel he reached out. Or, it could be that he is disappointed with people not trying to help out others]

And if you think that I’m wrong
This never meant nothing, to you
[-Again, Gerard saying that their music may have meant nothing to the fans if you don't understand still]

I spent my high school career
[-If I remember correctly, Gerard was not the most loved kid in his high school]
So I can watch all my heroes
Sell a car on TV
[- My friend says, 'trying so hard to be like your hero, just to be disappointed because they are degrading themselves and not helping anyone by doing something like selling a car on TV]
We’ll show them what we all mean
[-Most likely something to do with revnge, which Gerard has been obsessed with since high school]

---
The rest is basically repeated from the beginning.