Don't have an account? Create one!

Sleep

AuthorMessage
Our Undead Romance
Killjoy
Our Undead Romance
February 18th, 2007 at 09:48pm
when Gerard says "so shut your eyes, kiss me goodbye, and sleep" to me it's pretty clear that he's just telling someone they're dying of he (as the Patient) is dying.......
IXPROMISE
Jazz Hands
IXPROMISE
February 20th, 2007 at 01:56pm
person above me is right im pretty sure
Quiet.Song.13
Fabulous Killjoy
Quiet.Song.13
February 25th, 2007 at 11:14am
I always thought of this song as like... Gerard singing to Mikey when he couldn't sleep. ^__^ awww, how cute!
But really, I always thought of it as Gee talking to Mikey, trying to calm him down... and Mikey just totally spazzing out and telling him that it might not end so nicely this time.

Mikey: "And through it all, how could you cry for me? 'Cause I don't feel bad about it..."
Gee: "So shut your eyes, kiss me goodnight, and sleep... just sleep."
Mikey: "The hardest part is letting go of your dreams..."

Yeah, I visualize my songs.. aha!
technicolor.
Demolition Lover
technicolor.
February 25th, 2007 at 11:54am
Quiet.Song.13:
I always thought of this song as like... Gerard singing to Mikey when he couldn't sleep. ^__^ awww, how cute!
But really, I always thought of it as Gee talking to Mikey, trying to calm him down... and Mikey just totally spazzing out and telling him that it might not end so nicely this time.

Mikey: "And through it all, how could you cry for me? 'Cause I don't feel bad about it..."
Gee: "So shut your eyes, kiss me goodnight, and sleep... just sleep."
Mikey: "The hardest part is letting go of your dreams..."

Yeah, I visualize my songs.. aha!

nice, i think your right about that.
Helena.MyDreams
Killjoy
Helena.MyDreams
February 26th, 2007 at 12:30pm
this song also reminds me of 9/11, because I know Gerard saw things happen that day, don't know if maybe some of that inspired the song too.

That's interesting to know about Mikey, and Gerard's nightmares, it's good they can get it out into song now. Smile a release for them
philosopher of mcr
Killjoy
philosopher of mcr
February 27th, 2007 at 10:50pm
in this song the patient is over life.He has given up and wants every one to forget about him n simplyu move on.
He starts off with
"Some say now suffer all the children and walk away a saviour,
Or a madman and polluted from gutter institutions"
the instition he is referin to is the military and i think something happened in the war where he murderd children and was seen as a hero or "savior" but in reality ha sees him self as a madman created by the military.Though he thinks what he has done is terrible he aint sorry for it and he doesnt want anyones sympathy for what he has seen
"Don't you breathe for me, undeserving of your sympathy,
Cos there ain't no way that I'm sorry for what I did."
i think the chorus "And through it all how could you cry
For me?
Cos I don't feel bad about it.
So shut your eyes, kiss me goodbye,
And sleep.
Just sleep.

is just about forgetting what he has done and the situation he is in like when you go to sleep and your dreams are an escape from whats goin on in youre life.The next verse
"A drink for the horror that I'm in, for the good guys,
And the bad guys, for the monsters that I've been.
Three cheers for tyranny, unapologetic apathy,
Cos there ain't no way that I'm coming back again."
the patient feels sorry for himself whats happening to him (dieing) and wat has happened to him.He refers to himself as a monster and then celebrates tyranny which tells me that he was some sort of tyrant in the military and now outside of that institution he is nothing and unapolligetic apathy says he aint sorry for not caring about the terrible things he done while he was a tyrant/monster.This song to me is about the patient giving up and not caring what happens to him.hes done terrible things in the past and he knows hes about to suffer the consequences in death and wants his loved ones to forget about him
Inertiatic Esp.
Bleeding on the Floor
Inertiatic Esp.
February 27th, 2007 at 11:08pm
philosopher of mcr:
in this song the patient is over life.He has given up and wants every one to forget about him n simplyu move on.
He starts off with
"Some say now suffer all the children and walk away a saviour,
Or a madman and polluted from gutter institutions"
the instition he is referin to is the military and i think something happened in the war where he murderd children and was seen as a hero or "savior" but in reality ha sees him self as a madman created by the military.Though he thinks what he has done is terrible he aint sorry for it and he doesnt want anyones sympathy for what he has seen
"Don't you breathe for me, undeserving of your sympathy,
Cos there ain't no way that I'm sorry for what I did."
i think the chorus "And through it all how could you cry
For me?
Cos I don't feel bad about it.
So shut your eyes, kiss me goodbye,
And sleep.
Just sleep.

is just about forgetting what he has done and the situation he is in like when you go to sleep and your dreams are an escape from whats goin on in youre life.The next verse
"A drink for the horror that I'm in, for the good guys,
And the bad guys, for the monsters that I've been.
Three cheers for tyranny, unapologetic apathy,
Cos there ain't no way that I'm coming back again."
the patient feels sorry for himself whats happening to him (dieing) and wat has happened to him.He refers to himself as a monster and then celebrates tyranny which tells me that he was some sort of tyrant in the military and now outside of that institution he is nothing and unapolligetic apathy says he aint sorry for not caring about the terrible things he done while he was a tyrant/monster.This song to me is about the patient giving up and not caring what happens to him.hes done terrible things in the past and he knows hes about to suffer the consequences in death and wants his loved ones to forget about him

That pretty much sums it up.

But its also based on Gerard's night terrors at The Paramore
headfirst_4for_HALOS
Killjoy
headfirst_4for_HALOS
March 2nd, 2007 at 03:22pm
I read in rolling stone its about mikey and his depression when staying in the paramour he would have nightmares and stuff.
XXdrowning_lessonsXX
Killjoy
XXdrowning_lessonsXX
March 5th, 2007 at 08:26am
i think it's about someone whos in rehab and they're looking back on there life and kinda just saying goodbye to everything normal " the hardest part is the awful things that i've seen" because they can't fix their mistake so they don't even wanna be sorry for it "there's no way that I'm sorry 4 what i've done" but thatz just what i think it might have something 2 do wit the patient 2. well i'm out.
MCR_1_FAN
Killjoy
MCR_1_FAN
March 5th, 2007 at 09:41am
While staying in the "Paramour" Gerard all of a sudden started having these terrible "night terrors" that inspired "Sleep". Also when u hear the voices in the beginning & ending of this song that's because Gerard kept notes when he would have these "terrors"......... Crying or Very sad
hiddenn.
Salute You in Your Grave
hiddenn.
March 8th, 2007 at 12:07am
^^^ MCR_1_FAN is correct.

On an interview/podcast, Gerard said that it was based on the night tremors that he had in the Paramour House.
He said that he felt like he was being choked and he couldn't breathe.
CoryisnotokIpromise
Killjoy
CoryisnotokIpromise
March 16th, 2007 at 11:18pm
Oh MAN I love this song!
chea4
Killjoy
chea4
March 20th, 2007 at 01:25pm
good
Too the end.
Killjoy
Too the end.
March 24th, 2007 at 08:21am
i love the song xxx the bit at the bigging is the best!!
the whack parade.
Demolition Lover
the whack parade.
March 30th, 2007 at 10:45pm
I thought I read in a magazine that Sleep was about watching a friend or loved one die in front of you. And the person watching them die is telling them to "sleep" or in this case, let go of everything and just die already. I'm probably wrong.
Gerard Arthur Way.
Demolition Lover
Gerard Arthur Way.
April 4th, 2007 at 03:33pm
I just read in a magazine that the house they were staying in was hunted & Gerard felt like somebody was choking him & he couldn't breathe..
thatweird_emokid
Killjoy
thatweird_emokid
April 5th, 2007 at 11:11pm
oh my gosh, i fucking love this song, its my favorite MCR song ever, its so full of emotion and feeling. but i honestly have no idea what its about. for some reason whenever i hear it i picture him as a prisoner and a woman is crying at his cell door. but then he tells her to get up and not to worry about him, because he isnt sorry for whatever it is he did and he deserves the punishment. but its like he's in trouble for something he did "wrong", but it actually helped people and no one understands why he did it, regardless of whether or not it would help people and they think he made a mistake doing it. ("some say now suffer all the children and walk away a savior or a madman and polluted from gutter institutions... dont you breathe for me, underserving of your sympathy. Cause there aint no way that im sorry for what i did."Wink
mcr_4ever
Joining The Black Parade
mcr_4ever
April 7th, 2007 at 04:22pm
it's probably about war...how he feels about all the things that are happening now in america..just a guess
XxDisastrousLove
Fabulous Killjoy
XxDisastrousLove
April 10th, 2007 at 11:02pm
This song has a special meaning for me, because at one point in my life not too long ago I had been cutting and having suicidal thoughts and having dreams people were killing me and the people I loved so the part that says "And sometimes I'd see people that I love dying and... I'ts always..." hits pretty close.

But, I pretty much agree whole-heartedly with Live.Love.Brun.Die... it's pretty much what I was going to say.
live.love.burn.die:
Here the Patient seems to be both unwilling to forgive and unwilling to accept forgiveness. He acknowledges his state of illness, and all the terrible things he's done ("a drink for the horror that I'm in, for the good guys and the bad guys, for the monsters that I've been"Wink. He reflects on some of these things, such as benefiting at the dispense of others ("some say now suffer all the children and walk away a savior"Wink. However, he insists that "there ain't no way that I'm sorry for what I did". He asks his lover "how could you cry for me, cause I don't feel bad about it", wondering how she can forgive some of his sins when he hasn't even done so. He also realizes that he may have let too many people control his actions over the course of his life ("three cheers for tyranny"Wink. This line could also suggest that the Patient himself has controlled other people, as it follows "the monsters that I've been." Finally he tells his lover to "shut your eyes, kiss me goodbye, and sleep, just sleep", telling her that the "hardest part is letting go of your dreams." This signifies that the Patient wants his lover to let go of everything he's done, stop asking for forgiveness, and just accept the person that he is. The Patient is giving up on life and any attempt of repentence, and feels that he should just toss in the towel and die.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_%28song%29

Very Happy Very Happy
Danger.Zone--
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Danger.Zone--
April 13th, 2007 at 01:25am
NICE!!!!
I THINK IT MEANS GO TO BED