Sleep

AuthorMessage
Helmee Bluth
In The Murder Scene
Helmee Bluth
July 20th, 2008 at 06:48pm
Solitary Style.:
The beginning is very intriguing.

I agree with most of the explanations above; however, I don't quite understand the very first lines.

"Some say now suffer all the children
And walk away a savior
Or a madman and polluted
From gutter institutions."

WTF? Some kind of confession, perhaps?
I always thought I had a pretty firm grasp on what the beginning meant.
I think he means that if one notices suffering they could either help (walk away a savior) or not help and perhaps even go mad from knowing that there was nothing they could do because of unfixable flaws (a madman and polluted from gutter institutions).
Cereal Killer
Banned
Cereal Killer
July 22nd, 2008 at 12:22pm
The first verse sounds like someone talking who committed (or attempted and didn't die immediately) suicide.

"Don't ya breathe for me, undeserving of your sympathy, cuz there ain't no way that I'm sorry for I what I did."
You're all sad, but I wanted this to happen.
"And through it all, how could you cry for me? Because I don't feel bad about."
Friends and family mourning for a suicide with no regrets.
"So shut your eyes, kiss me goodbye, and sleep."
Just forget about me and keep.
"The hardest part is letting go of your dreams."
The hardest part of suicide?

Just my theory.
xXtWiStEdXx
Jazz Hands
xXtWiStEdXx
July 22nd, 2008 at 02:51pm
Cereal Killer I think you may be right...but how could it be helping you with depression or being suicidal because in a way all their songs link back to that except for a couple...
ashestoashes;
Joining The Black Parade
ashestoashes;
August 1st, 2008 at 02:00pm
I cry everytime I hear Sleep because like every song by mcr there is just so emotion and I really feel it. I find it so sad about the 'night terrors' because they are sad to hear about, let alone experience.
monster-ray
Fabulous Killjoy
monster-ray
August 1st, 2008 at 04:07pm
I thank its about some one whos goin to sleep for life but i dont now
monster-ray
Fabulous Killjoy
monster-ray
August 1st, 2008 at 04:07pm
I thank its about some one whos goin to sleep for life but i dont now
disenchanted romance
Awake and Unafraid
disenchanted romance
August 6th, 2008 at 01:39am
the song is about fading away, dying, finally resting in peace but not sorry for it and everything. gladly accepts it in peace...
valiumobsequy
Awake and Unafraid
valiumobsequy
August 6th, 2008 at 08:29pm
this song is most likely about a guy on death row who is going to die tomorow and it is talking about the family of this person who is extremly worried and is afraid to fall asleep knowing they will never see them again
we_r_4evr_parading06
Killjoy
we_r_4evr_parading06
August 8th, 2008 at 08:43pm
I always thought this was more like a patriotic kind of song. How I interpretted it was like a guy, a soldier, was going to war and his wife or girlfriend was really worried about him and he's telling her that it'll all be ok no matter what kind of things she hears or what sort of stuff he sees.

Could anyone else kinda see that?
valiumobsequy
Awake and Unafraid
valiumobsequy
August 12th, 2008 at 08:14pm
I also think it could be about night terrors
dOwN wE gO
Killjoy
dOwN wE gO
August 24th, 2008 at 04:07am
i thought it was about dying or you are gunna die so shut your eyes
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
September 1st, 2008 at 10:54pm
It's about the Patient dying but telling his loved ones not to cry for his lost life because he's not sorry. And he's not sorry for anything he did while he was alive.

Anyway, my point was Gerard and Mikey are fans of Morrisey/The Smiths and the first line Some say now suffer all the children sounds the title of the The Smiths song Suffer Little Children. Maybe there is some kind of relevence there?
McR-Dead!-Hearse
Killjoy
McR-Dead!-Hearse
September 3rd, 2008 at 04:02am
well, I didn't read all the ideas again, so don't blame me if I say something in contrast with the others'.I just read the first issues and a few of the latest.
personally, I think it's about The Black Parade's patient whom people think he's a monster [a sexual crimminal of children], but he was just maybe a person who had problems, or he was always kind to kids, maybe this is the reason why people thought he should be a monster who's always near the children.
It's kinds funny how I interpret songs, but accept me, I'm at last an McR fan who UNDESRTANDS their songs but DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN THEM FOR THE OTHERS!
Snow Fall
Killjoy
Snow Fall
September 8th, 2008 at 12:00am
Interesting interpretations. Hmmmmm.... As you may know, My Chem was a band created from the fear after nine eleven. And he has been quoted to say that this song is about "fear". So, it could be said that the persona could be a terrorist who has no remorse for what he has done; for the terror he has inflicted; for the lives he has destroyed. The lines, "a Saviour/ Or a madman", show how there is a fine line between terrorists and freedom fighter (like V), which is which? Also, to bring in the idea of "children" into the song represents innocence, which becomes "polluted" from the darkness of man's heart( Like Lord of the Flies). I recall an interview Gerard had with Rolling Stone mag, where he says that as children, the generation (he includes himself) could not understand, comprehend, or fathom such an act (9/11).

Merci Pour Le Venin.
yousawnothing
Jazz Hands
yousawnothing
October 8th, 2008 at 08:50am
we_r_4evr_parading06:
I always thought this was more like a patriotic kind of song. How I interpretted it was like a guy, a soldier, was going to war and his wife or girlfriend was really worried about him and he's telling her that it'll all be ok no matter what kind of things she hears or what sort of stuff he sees.

Could anyone else kinda see that?

Interesting...I've never thought about it that way before, but it makes sense. I always reckoned "The hardest part is letting go of your dreams" meant letting go of what you wanted to do, accepting that you never became what you wanted, cause it's really hard to give that belief up.
It's working through the band's experiences at the Paramour too, which was a really traumatizing period for all of them.
"Now suffer all the children" could be referring to Mikey indirectly as the 'kid brother' of the band, who suffered the most in the Paramour and nearly didn't make it through, or that children bear the penalty for what adults do; MCR's generation paying the price for 9/11.
"Three cheers for tyranny" is both linking back to Revenge, carrying across the album's message of tyrannizing by others, and telling us the toll that the message the band brings (against tyranny) is inflicting on their personal lives.
"Just sleep" could mean dream of better things, or the woman talking to the Patient and telling him to rest and recover; not stay awake and use up his energy with her.
"Wake up" could be the woman telling the Patient to stay awake, not sleep, cause she's afraid he'll die and leave her. She's panicking and changing her mind.
For me, the whole song is set in a hospital, with the Patient and the woman he loves, him semi-conscious and working through his regrets and his fears about what lies ahead "Terrors/Gripping my throat and squeezing". "Unapologetic apathy" could mean he hasn't done much with his life, and he's trying to both convince her she doesn't need to be upset, "How could you cry for me/Cause I don't feel bad about it", and trying to convince himself at the same time. It's a really meaningful song.
I_gave_you_blood
Killjoy
I_gave_you_blood
November 8th, 2008 at 08:15pm
I always imagined that the songs written at the Paramour mansion were about the ghosts haunting it, but also about the psychological state of Gerard and Mikey, while they were living there.
So, it's almost like Gerard is a medium and he's speaking for the ghost, and this ghost is a malevolent spirit who's trying to hurt Gerard. Choking him in his sleep, giving him nighmares, draining his life force.
I've read about something called "Old Hag Syndrome" which is also called sleep paralysis and it involves a felling of strangulation accompanied by creepy hallucinations. When I read about that it reminded me of this song. I think it's written from the point of view of this succubus who is whispering into his ear, telling him "Shut your eyes, kiss me goodbye and sleep." Sleep in this case refers to death. So it's trying to seduce Gerard into this comatose state and devour him. In away it's a metaphor for the dark side of the band's success, this seductive pull of rockstardom trying to suck you down and destroy you with isolation, stress, depression, drugs, whatever. There are so many layers to this song, it's just unbelievable.
I_gave_you_blood
Killjoy
I_gave_you_blood
November 8th, 2008 at 08:16pm
futurpres
Fabulous Killjoy
futurpres
November 18th, 2008 at 08:53pm
This is pretty different from everyone else, but I always saw it as a "F You!" to society. Like, they all expect the Patient to be filled with remorse and regret about what he's done, and he's laughing at them because he feels nothing at all. "I'm undeserving of your sympathy/cause there ain't no way that I'm sorry for what I've done" (or what I did, I never really found out.) Like, he's saying that they shouldn't feel bad, or think he's going to hell, because he's perfectly content and feels that people shouldn't make such a big fuss.
Despite the awful basis the song is built on, I also get a sarcastic feel, strengthened by "three cheers for tyranny, unapologetic apathy."
Did anyone else feel like that?
LaineyyLestat
Killjoy
LaineyyLestat
November 21st, 2008 at 04:33pm
ohh that makes sense. i listened to it constantly and it kinda reminded me of war.
KillinGxWisH
Killjoy
KillinGxWisH
December 3rd, 2008 at 02:27pm
I think this song is about a men who goes in the war and he doesn't want that his gilrfriend or wife or whatever it is crys for him .
XD