Don't have an account? Create one!

Sexism.

AuthorMessage
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
May 20th, 2007 at 12:02pm
RULES for the discussion board. READ BEFORE YOU POST.:
8. If you agree with someone's post, and you quote it, ALWAYS add your own opinion to it

11. "I agree" or "I like <insert topic here>" isn't enough. Elaborate your opinion please.

Follow please and thank you.
Blue_Demon
Motor Baby
Blue_Demon
May 20th, 2007 at 02:05pm
What do you think about sexism?
The most common one is that being of women and that they are weaker than men and thus they should do jobs that are more suited for there 'body type'; though the same can be said about men who wish to be nurses. I never really answered that question, but I don't actually approve of sexism....

Can it be good in some cases, helping stereotype?
Nope. Stereotypes are evil; it's kinda like saying that all Scottish people are having heart-attacks left right and centre and that the French smell of Garlic ect.

Do females always seem to get more sexist remarks made at them than men?
I think it's more publicised about women than it is for men; women who take on male jobs, ie firewomen ect, are likely to get put down for doing it; but then again a man being a midwife would get a ribbing as well; along with a male nurse, they would probably be seen to be gay when most likely they are either married or dating someone.

What about sexist jokes? Do you find them funny?
Depends on who is telling them; I think the person whether famous or not needs to be well known that you shouldn't take anything they say seriously, and that what is said is just taking the piss than anything serious.
lexie
Bleeding on the Floor
lexie
May 20th, 2007 at 06:08pm
I really never thought sexism exsisted anymore but thats before I became involved in the Clergy which is still to some degree sexist .

I must admit I have laughed at sexist jokes but thats because I am laidback about it - I do think that alot of people can feel prejudices of various things affect them when there is no such intent behind a comment.

I know i sound abit confused but thats because its only recent I have noticed!
ilovegerardway2much
Jazz Hands
ilovegerardway2much
May 22nd, 2007 at 08:58pm
i think both sexes get rude remarks. cuz women get made fun of bcuz of their bodies and guys are made fun of because theyre supposedly 'dumber' than girls. now im a girl but i jus think its stupid.
fxmous-lxst-words
Joining The Black Parade
fxmous-lxst-words
May 25th, 2007 at 11:34am
i agree ilovegerardway2much, both men and women get sexist remarks, but i think women get them more because they are expected to look like all the 'perfect' models on TV and in magazines.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
May 25th, 2007 at 07:10pm
sexism is dumb. we're all equal in God's eyes.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 25th, 2007 at 07:12pm
I think all stereotypes are bad, evil things.

But one thing I notice around here, is if a girl dumps a guy,
Everyone is like "You go, girl!!"
But if a guy dumps a girl, he is a 'cruel hearted b*stard'.

Both men and women get sexist remarks, but I've heard way
more against females.
Maybe it's living with my dad and going to my granddad's house
every day.
Ice-Cold Flames
Killjoy
Ice-Cold Flames
May 25th, 2007 at 09:45pm
I think sexism is completely unfair, women are sometimes considered weaker and inferior then men and are treated as such. However, over the last deceades women have gained more freedom and more rights, and i think that todays society is less sexist then it was 50 years ago. Also i don't mind sexists jokes as long as they are not TOO serious, if they are an obvious joke then i don't mind but if they are REALLY offensive then i don't like them. But it must be said (generaly, and i stress the GENERALY part) men are stronger physically, but women are superior in intelligence and with the world now considering intellignce more important then brute strengh maybe in a few thousands years (or less) the roles will be reversed with women considered stronger ....
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
May 26th, 2007 at 11:41am
Where did the idea that women are smarter than men come from? For thousands of years, men were considered stronger and smarter.

And overall, males are usually better in mathematics and sciences. Females have an edge on communication skills. No gender could be said to be smarter overall, and if you were going to, you'd probably say men, because generally they do better in more practical fields.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
May 26th, 2007 at 03:36pm
The one thing that makes me irritated is when women demand MORE than equality. They want to be treated like a princess and they treat the man like a dog. They want a man to hold doors open for them but never do it in return. They want their dinner paid for but would never pick up the check themselves. They want men to give up their seat on the bus or train, but would never stand up and offer their seat to a man. They want a man to throw money and jewelry at them on their birthday, valentines day and Christmas but never ever give an equal gift back. I hate double standards.

My husband and I take turns opening doors, paying for dinner, buying each other movies tickets and treating each other with special things. We believe in true equality and in being humble people. I hope to set an example one day for my children.

Some women like to wave the "Chivalry isn't dead" banner at me. But in reality, chivalry doesn't mean exclusive special treatment to women. Chivalry refers to the medieval institution of knighthood which upholds brave, courteous and honourable behavior – (known as 'gentlemanly conduct'). Chivalric ideals were loyalty to God and king, fidelity to ladies, ready aid to victims of injustice, and opposition to tyrants. It does not mean catering to a woman's every need.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
May 26th, 2007 at 05:09pm
Beeblebrox:
The one thing that makes me irritated is when women demand MORE than equality. They want to be treated like a princess and they treat the man like a dog. They want a man to hold doors open for them but never do it in return. They want their dinner paid for but would never pick up the check themselves. They want men to give up their seat on the bus or train, but would never stand up and offer their seat to a man. They want a man to throw money and jewelry at them on their birthday, valentines day and Christmas but never ever give an equal gift back. I hate double standards.

My husband and I take turns opening doors, paying for dinner, buying each other movies tickets and treating each other with special things. We believe in true equality and in being humble people. I hope to set an example one day for my children.

Some women like to wave the "Chivalry isn't dead" banner at me. But in reality, chivalry doesn't mean exclusive special treatment to women. Chivalry refers to the medieval institution of knighthood which upholds brave, courteous and honourable behavior – (known as 'gentlemanly conduct'). Chivalric ideals were loyalty to God and king, fidelity to ladies, ready aid to victims of injustice, and opposition to tyrants. It does not mean catering to a woman's every need.

It's kind of different when you're married though, but the reason men do that is because it's the polite thing to do, like if you're on a date. Some women take it for granted and expect men to be their servant.
When women want to be treated better, they're called feminists. If men want to be treated better, they're called sexists. It's a sad, sad world.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
May 26th, 2007 at 05:26pm
Oxycontin Genocide.:
When women want to be treated better, they're called feminists. If men want to be treated better, they're called sexists. It's a sad, sad world.

I agree. It's stupid.

It's almost like the women want time made up from hundreds of years ago.
Ice-Cold Flames
Killjoy
Ice-Cold Flames
May 27th, 2007 at 11:45am
Fezzik:
Where did the idea that women are smarter than men come from? For thousands of years, men were considered stronger and smarter.

And overall, males are usually better in mathematics and sciences. Females have an edge on communication skills. No gender could be said to be smarter overall, and if you were going to, you'd probably say men, because generally they do better in more practical fields.

it's been proven that women tend to have a larger brain then men and men are not usually better at maths and science, because women can mulit-task, something men can not, it's scientificaly proven that women are generally smarter then men, but only slightly, also women have better memories when they want to remember which is why women can remember formulas and equations better then men, women are better in theories which men then try to preform, so women are slightly smarter,
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
May 27th, 2007 at 11:56am
^Okay...do you have proof of that? Like, a link to a (reputable) site that has that information?

I don't know about multi-tasking or larger brains, but I would be extremely surprised if women were actually better overall at maths and sciences. That men are better is what I'd always heard, and also, I was looking at New Jersey Institute of Technology (which is a school mainly for math and science) on collegeboard.com, and 81% of the student population is male...which basically eliminates it from the list of places I might want to go, but also is evidence that men do better with math and science.
river phoenix.
Salute You in Your Grave
river phoenix.
May 30th, 2007 at 04:50pm
I think that women and men are both better at different things. They should be treated equally. Sexism is not just against women - this probably applies more to the younger people here but if you were at a disco, which would you be more comfortable with as a girl - a boy asking you to dance or you asking a boy? Call me old fashioned, but i wouldn't ask a boy to dance, i'd wait for him to ask me. Which is technically a form of sexism.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
May 30th, 2007 at 10:22pm
Solitary-Smile:
I think that women and men are both better at different things. They should be treated equally. Sexism is not just against women - this probably applies more to the younger people here but if you were at a disco, which would you be more comfortable with as a girl - a boy asking you to dance or you asking a boy? Call me old fashioned, but i wouldn't ask a boy to dance, i'd wait for him to ask me. Which is technically a form of sexism.

Not a form of sexism. It's a common social skill that is hard-wired into people's brains. Men lead in dances, but women have the door held for them. It's just common courtesy. It's not sexism.
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
Joining The Black Parade
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
May 31st, 2007 at 01:13am
I think that it goes both ways. I mean, the whole thing when a guy does something dumb "Oh, he's a guy. THAAAAAAT explains everything." or a girl starts to cry "she's just a melodramatic girl" or whatever. But also if a guy goes around sleeping with every girl he sees, he's a stud, or a player, or whatever is "cool". But if a girl does, she's a "slut" or a whore". Not right..
Golden Cat
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Golden Cat
May 31st, 2007 at 09:07pm
I support traditional sex roles. Do you really think a guy could raise children, cook, and ect every day? Men tend to have the braun, giving them more skill with physical labor meaning they can easily have a 5 day a week job, and women tend to be able to multitask and work well with their hands to make dinner, ect. I'm not saying women can't get jobs, I'm just saying a married couple would do well sticking to the traditional roles.

But there is a fine line between that and just stereotyping a certain gender. It's just like racism- WRONG.

I must admit I have laughed at sexist jokes but thats because I am laidback about it - I do think that alot of people can feel prejudices of various things affect them when there is no such intent behind a comment.

I know what you mean, I laugh at "sexist" jokes too. They're the same as blonde jokes; it's not trying to hurt anyone. In fact, I laugh more at the "sexist" jokes about women..
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
June 1st, 2007 at 12:49pm
Hannah!:
I support traditional sex roles. Do you really think a guy could raise children, cook, and ect every day? Men tend to have the braun, giving them more skill with physical labor meaning they can easily have a 5 day a week job, and women tend to be able to multitask and work well with their hands to make dinner, ect. I'm not saying women can't get jobs, I'm just saying a married couple would do well sticking to the traditional roles.

I whole-heartedly disagree. My husband works from home (he's a photographer) and he prepares dinner most nights (he loves to cook). He cleans up around the house and writes out all of our bills. He's definitely not "brauny" and doesn't do any real physical labor in his job.

I work in the city, make the money and support the both of us while he focuses on his art. I work twice as hard as he does, usually 60 hours a week and I do plenty of physical labor. So, I take serious offense to whoever thinks my role in life is better suited towards the kitchen and the housework.

My hands are suited towards designing, not making dinner. It's my talent and it's what I do best. My husband's talent is in taking photos, balancing the bank account and in being an ameteur gormet chef. We are married and yet the best solution for us in in non-traditional roles. Tradition is a means of blind conformism.
GetRevenge1124
Killjoy
GetRevenge1124
June 1st, 2007 at 01:45pm
i just think were all equal, is that impossible for people to except? No